May 25 - It's Patch Day for The Sims 4! Check out what is new and what's fixed.
Become a Better Sim Parent With The Sims 4 Parenthood Game Pack, coming soon! READ MORE ON THE BLOG
Build Your Sims Legacy On The Go With The Sims Mobile, Coming Soon! Read more on the blog!

Parenthood GP Prerelease Info: SimGuru Statements etc.

luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 26,548 Member
edited May 25 in Game Packs
Hi all! This is an info-gathering post for post-announcement, pre-release info about the new Parenthood Game Pack. Please feel free to bring me stuff you see that I’ve not posted yet! There’s lots of room elsewhere in the Game Pack forum category for opinion and discussion — please keep those elsewhere — but maybe we can settle a few debates here by making it easier to find the answers. :)

For things we knew before the official announcement, see the thread by @Cinebar thread here.

INDEX
BLOGS, TRAILERS, LIVESTREAMS, etc.

Teaser (May 15):
Header screenshots found by @elelunicy (May 16): forum thread

Announcement blog! Become a Better Sim Parent with The Sims 4 Parenthood Game Pack!

Announcement trailer!

Direct link to the What Type of Parent Will You Be? quiz: https://www.thesims.com/en_GB/quizzes/what-kind-of-parent-will-you-be/questions/question1 (with screenshots!)
Short clip: https://simsvip.com/2017/05/18/sims-4-parenthood-parenting-clip/

Product Description:
Old9Kep.jpg
From http://www.game.co.uk/en/the-sims-4-parenthood-game-pack-2019976

Gameplay Blog, May 23: Learn All About Character Values in The Sims 4 Parenthood Game Pack

Gameplay trailer, May 23 (focus on character values, resulting traits)

Short build/buy video:
Post edited by luthienrising on

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 26,548 Member
    edited May 24
    GAMEPLAY (Part 1)

Sim Behaviour
    From the May 16 announcement blog:
    Your Sim’s offspring will be more ill-behaved than ever, with rebellious teenagers and toddlers who chomp down on their siblings. But don’t worry!
    What's that Toddler dumping on the floor in that 9-second teaser?
    ^^ I think it's flour and spices and dry stuff like that. At least, that's one of the messes they can make.
    Toddlers "can bite anyone!" says @SimGuruMegs ()

Teens sneaking out? (the second question is about being caught and grounded)
    Yup and (depending on your actions) yup

Teens can reject parental influence -

"Does that mean mood swings are back?" (asks @MidnightAura )
    It does.

Misbehaving is autonomous as well as user-directed.
    Parental guidance (both positive and negative) is user-directed only.

Parenting Actions
    Parents can help their kids/teens relieve extreme emotions, for whatever reason they have them.

Parenting reinforces character values, in both directions:
    Say you were a kid with terrible manners and became an adult with the Bad Manners trait. Well this trait allows you to positively reinforce bad manners in your own kids. So when they start burping; you can totally encourage and praise them for doing the "bad" thing and conversely can punish them for exhibiting good manners.

Punishments?
    Time-outs, grounding (you choose the activities they're grounded from), curfews, and a LOT of various discipline type socials.

The new curfew is parent-set:
    But it's not individual:
    It's a household curfew that applies to Teens and younger in the fam.
    SimGuruNinja here
    There's a gameplay object for curfew:
    1) It's interactive. Family Bulletin Board. Among other things you'll be able to set and adjust curfew times here.
    (from here)
    Teens can break curfew and grounding. But at what cost? Bet their parents are going to be maaaaaad! :)

Is punishment up to us or to the game?
    ^^ You decide. Your parenting skill will determine what you're allowed to do.
    Punishments are "user directed only," not autonomous -

Grounding has lots of options (shared here by SimGuruNinja):
    6utcFGK.png
    Teens are able to be given a time out, or grounded.
    From SimGuruLakshmi here

Who can parent?
    Grandparents can use their parenting skill on the grand-kids. :smiley:
    They're also a great source of advice for new parents.
    (from here)
    ^^Yes, we've expanded to allow any household sim (YA or older) to claim a teen or younger sim as their dependent.
    >
    A sim can have multiple Caregivers in addition to parents
    (from here)
    Yes, even when households sadly break up, parents & caregivers can still influence their offspring.
    Teens cannot parent until they are Young Adults.
    - SimGuruMegs, here

Parenting Skill

Full 10 level skill.

Telling kids to do stuff (homework etc.) is tied to it:
    There are ways to study parenting:
    3) Sure, Magazines and Online Forums are a great way to help a new parent out.
    (from here)

Character Values, Adult Traits, and Future Relationships
    If your Sims take the time to teach their children good manners, like setting the table, and trying to not burp, swear, or fart, they can grow up with new Traits that will positively affect their lives forever. Or, if they don’t do these things, well, there are Traits with consequences of another stripe...
    Parenting Skill of adults affects the Character Values of kids which affects the trait(s) the kids get upon age up. More details to come!

34004882864_4b505e5138.jpg
    from here

34004882874_4c711d73f3.jpg
    from here
    There's 5 good traits and 5 bad ones.
    Your sims can receive 0 to 5 traits based on how they were raised.
    These could be all good, all bad, or a combo of both.
    from here
    The traits they can receive upon aging to YA reflect how they were brought up.
    And Sims will also remember how individual family members treated them.

Check your kid's relationship panel after they age up to young adult. It will change the titles of their family based off their childhood experience. A sibling may become "Childhood Buds."
    A parent who was really good to you might become "Oh Captain My Captain."
    A parent who was not so great could be "Repressive Childhood."
    Grandparents get changed titles too.
    And lots more.

Along with this, the relationship titles also introduce new social interactions between family members as well as updated autonomous behavior. So the way adult sims were treated when they were kids by individual family members dictates how they feel about them throughout adulthood.
    You should be able to cheat Character Value traits onto Sims.
    - SimGuruNinja, here
    Those traits are:
    Good Manners / Bad manners
    Responsible / Irresponsible
    Mediator / Argumentative
    Compassionate / Insensitive
    Emotional Control / Uncontrolled Emotions

Aspirations?
    The new aspiration is SUPER PARENT (This Sim wants to be the best parent ever!)
    - SimGuruNinja, here

edited May 23
    GAMEPLAY (Part 2)

Volunteering
    You'll be able to use the phone and take your family to one of several volunteering options. It's a rabbithole activity (like school) and you'll be presented with choices on how to proceed. There is rewards & consequences to your choices.
    ^^ You can go alone or take some or all of the fam.
    (from here)

School projects
    Children will bring home new school projects to work on after class with parents and siblings as well. These create permanent, hilarious objects, like erupting volcanoes and backyard rockets.
    They'll come from school, but you can buy them also. (There are several!)
    (from here)
    Projects can be completed and suck, be okay, or be awesome (based on a few different factors). Sims can also smash and break them. So mean!
    A child/teen can start the project and the adult could take over it.

About that rocket...
    It's so cute! When you launch the best version, it's a 2-stage process that returns its parts to the ground via parachute.

Other gameplay objects
    Future medical professionals can practice their stethescoping skills on teddy bears.
    they'll run through a variety of animations.
    +
    The Construction Block Table is an object separate from School Projects

Table setting
    Yes, sims can now set the table.

Bag lunch
    They do take sack lunches to school now! Well, if it's made for them anyways.
    Oh you can pack just about anything into a sack lunch. (I like to pack slices of cake for their lunch, because I'm cool Dad!)
    -You can pack pretty much any prepared food into a sack lunch
    -You can select a few quick sack lunches from the fridge (if you don't want to spend the time cooking an actual meal)
    -You can premake sack lunches and pack them in the fridge to grab on the way out to school/work/whatever
    -Kids & Teens will eat them at school (if their hunger motive is low enough)
    -Adults can take lunches to work and will eat them (if their hunger motive is low enough)
    from here

The Journal/Diary
    Does writing in the diary affect any gameplay/ moodlets ?
    "Yup"

Children can also be tucked into bed (like Toddlers already can):
    edited May 24
    CAS

The walkstyle in the trailer is new: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15760251/#Comment_15760251
    Triplis wrote: »
    Don't think it's been specified whether {the new walkstyle} will be available in CAS or just under particular circumstances.

Could you confirm on this one? @SimGuruNinja

This exasperated walk style triggers when your sim is in a mood swing (most common in teens). This is not a chooseable walk style in CAS, but an expressive walk based on sim's emotional state.
    From here
    So the jeans w/ shirt wrapped at waist is 1 asset. You can combine it with any top

Acne
    Acne is a CAS detail:

Will teens with acne be embarassed?
    Nope. It's nothing to be embarrassed about. ;)

BUILD/BUY

The mess on the teens' floor in the trailer is build/buy:
    So is the painted plate:
    edited May 23
    OTHER PACK CONTENT

@12JEREMIA asked about music in the pack:
    *whispers*

Sigrid
    Fickle Friends
    Avid Dancer
    No new stations in this pack; just new songs added to existing stations.
    (from here)

Will we get the three-teen household in the announce trailer? asks a Simmer who might be @SmallWhale here

ARE WE THERE YET?
    • Launch Trailer: May 16
    • Gameplay Trailer: May 23
    • Twitch Livestream : Friday, May 26, 1 p.m. Pacific Time
    • GP Release, PC & MAC: May 30, 2017

BUT WHYYYYY???

Sorry, but...
    No Pre-teens.

is my illusion or, on trailer, teens are shorter than adults? There will have a update in your size?
    Same height

Why do you always make such a big special objects? What about playing tag? Bunk beds would be perfect !
    Always more for us to get in the game; it's true.

Not so much as a why, really, but an FYI:
    Love The Sims 2 chatter. Not to confirm or deny any speculation in this thread, but just wanted to randomly point out that the lead designer of this pack (Lakshmi Howe) worked on Sims 2 as well. Thought it was a cool tidbit of info you'd be interested in knowing. :smile:
    (find that here)
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 74,381 Member
    Yesssss. I love me a good @luthienrising organization thread!
    It begins!

High five from here! We're on.
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 18,125 Member
    Love your categories, especially "But whyyyyy?" B)
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 105,519 Member
    Thankyou very much for setting up this thread! It will be very helpful :)
  • SparklePlumleySparklePlumley Posts: 489 Member
    Here's a link for HD screen shots of today's teaser trailer. Because they r in HD you can see more details.

http://simscommunity.info/2017/05/15/the-sims-4-family-game-pack-3-screens-from-the-teaser/

@catloverplayer it's not a picnic basket. It's an art box. Check it out using the link. The box has a bottle of glue, paper, and what looks like crayons sitting with it. Also the box itself has googly eyes on the lid. So cute!
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 18,125 Member
    Here's a link for HD screen shots of today's teaser trailer. Because they r in HD you can see more details.

http://simscommunity.info/2017/05/15/the-sims-4-family-game-pack-3-screens-from-the-teaser/

@catloverplayer it's not a picnic basket. It's an art box. Check it out using the link. The box has a bottle of glue, paper, and what looks like crayons sitting with it. Also the box itself has googly eyes on the lid. So cute!

It's probably just decor/clutter but it's cute! Looks like some new kitchen clutter too, like a breadbox.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 358 Member
    It's probably just decor/clutter but it's cute! Looks like some new kitchen clutter too, like a breadbox.

Possibly not....look at the object behind the adult sim and just to the right....it's a plate decorated by a child. In the quarterly teaser, there was a different looking activity table and what looked like child paintings hanging up on clips. So it would make sense that there's a new activity set for kids to interact with.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 4,996 Member
    @SimGuruNinja The pack name wouldn't be Parenthood now would it?
    Yesssss. I love me a good @luthienrising organization thread!
    It begins!

Yeah hopefully SimGuruDrake will sticky this thread.

Yes I see now.
  • CarpeNoctemSimsCarpeNoctemSims Posts: 319 Member
    edited May 16
    New game play stuff?

Cross posting from the other thread to here.

elelunicy wrote: »
    Found these new GP5 shots :) Can't wait for the trailer today!

lI6wAqX.jpg

This screen is very intriguing. I'm always eager for new game play.

Is the teen playing with a chemistry kit?

What is that farmhouse thing way in the back?

Also, second screen. Dad carrying a sack lunch. I wonder how that works, will they get hungrier while at school if they didn't get a sack lunch?

There appears to be some sort of new art activity for the toddlers. The art kit on the counter coupled with the toddler art plate on the counter. May just be decor but I'm hoping for game play.
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,281 Member
    These new screens could also be added. They look official.

lI6wAqX.jpg

EsJXIBM.jpg

xn0u0OE.jpg

wLVGuLx.jpg
  • KaantjeKaantje Posts: 437 Member
    This pack looks great. Can't wait for the trailer later today! I hope toddlers get more hair styles or kids can share theirs.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,103 Member
    so excited! @luthienrising thank you for making this sort of thread I find them so helpful :)
  • ToastyChanToastyChan Posts: 105 Member

lI6wAqX.jpg

EsJXIBM.jpg

xn0u0OE.jpg

wLVGuLx.jpg

Boy, am I hyped right now! All of this stuff looks amazing!
    And I don't wanna get my pre-teen hopes up, but doesn't that boy in the first picture look older than the kid yet younger than the teen in the background? Or am I hallucinating :p
  • PixelsimmerPixelsimmer Posts: 2,281 Member
    ToastyChan wrote: »

lI6wAqX.jpg

EsJXIBM.jpg

xn0u0OE.jpg

wLVGuLx.jpg

And I don't wanna get my pre-teen hopes up, but doesn't that boy in the first picture look older than the kid yet younger than the teen in the background? Or am I hallucinating :p

He definitely looks younger. But I'm not getting my hopes up. It could be just the way he's been designed in CAS and the choice of clothes and hairstyle...
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 1,824 Member

lI6wAqX.jpg

EsJXIBM.jpg

xn0u0OE.jpg

wLVGuLx.jpg

He does look younger! But I really don't want to get my hopes up either!
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 2,310 Member

lI6wAqX.jpg

EsJXIBM.jpg

xn0u0OE.jpg

wLVGuLx.jpg

He definitely looks younger. But I'm not getting my hopes up. It could be just the way he's been designed in CAS and the choice of clothes and hairstyle...

That's also what I thought, however it also may just be clever use of CAS to ''stage'' the looks. Like how they stage almost everything in Screenshots and trailers in order to make it sell.
  • zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 218 Member

Not hallucinating - I thought the same the minute I saw it. ;)
    I don't really think we're meant to get pre-teens but wouldn't that be a nice surprise?
  • KaantjeKaantje Posts: 437 Member
    edited May 16
    The teen in the third pictures, against the fridge, also looks younger. But it could be just the clothes and my imagination. :D