Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

GTW: Detective Career: Not Finding Suspect After APB Goes Out

Others have talked about this bug. Originally, back when I was playing my Legacy Challenge Game, my second generation heir became a Detective. I didn't have any issues with this career. In fact, it's one of the very few I was actually able to complete, in the nine full generations I played this family. This time around, however, I've noticed that no matter where my Sim is sent after he issues an APB, the suspect isn't to be seen — anywhere. Not even someone who looks close to the description. No teen in sight. This is problematic to say the least. I also LOVE this career, so I'm disappointed, too.

I used the MCCC mod to give my Sim two promotions, thinking it might bypass the problem. However, I did notice he had to solve 2 cases. So, that's still hanging over this head. I hesitated to join him at work, since his wife and he have small children. So, he went to work a few times on his own. Then I got the hankering to try to solve a case. I used the task bar to guide me, but I also had him run the evidence through the analyzer. Add clues and search the Data Base, even when it wasn't on his task bar. I got more clues. And, he discovered a few on his own. Originally my suspect was a male teen wearing short sleeves and jeans. Suddenly, added to the description, he was an elder with gray hair. :open_mouth: I didn't think it was taking my detective that long to solve the case. I had him issue another APB, after he went out on patrol and returned again. After issuing it about three times, suddenly, that same gray haired fellow was there again. I took a chance and arrested the bum. He was finger-printed and then interrogated. By golly, one case solved! Despite what may still be a bug.

This gives me some hope. If I just keep seeking clues, analyzing the evidence collected at the scene of the crime, perhaps, he can solve that elusive second case. If not, I'll use the mod to promote him anyway.

Just thought I'd share what some of you may already know. If you press long enough, you get a different description, and eventually, the suspect comes along. :)
You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Hello
    It is helpful to read your feedback on what has happened in your game and what you did to try to help the issue. It is great that your sim was able to solve his first case! I hope that the second case goes smoothly.
  • TinkerballTinkerball Posts: 1,113 Member
    I had a similar issue where the original description identified the suspect as a male wearing jeans. Turns out after I arrested the wrong guy (who fit ALL the other clues I had) that the guilty party was female. Which explains why one of the people I questioned stated "Isn't that her over there?" (or something to that effect). I thought it was just me.
    Tinkerball wrote: »
    I had a similar issue where the original description identified the suspect as a male wearing jeans. Turns out after I arrested the wrong guy (who fit ALL the other clues I had) that the guilty party was female. Which explains why one of the people I questioned stated "Isn't that her over there?" (or something to that effect). I thought it was just me.

Hello
    Other simmers are also having this issue.
    You may like to post feedback on this AHQ EA thread that refers to the issue
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/OPEN-Incorrect-suspect-traits-Suspect-doesn-t-show-up/m-p/4486122#M11815
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited May 2017
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    It is helpful to read your feedback on what has happened in your game and what you did to try to help the issue. It is great that your sim was able to solve his first case! I hope that the second case goes smoothly.

I had clues that said the suspect was a male, a female, an elder and a young adult. all in one case in the notebook. I ended up arresting a teen and they were guilty so they didnt match any of the clues in the notebook. The career is messed up at the moment. Im going to crime scenes and there are no clues, you can search every room none found.
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello

I had clues that said the suspect was a male, a female, an elder and a young adult. all in one case in the notebook. I ended up arresting a teen and they were guilty so they didnt match any of the clues in the notebook. The career is messed up at the moment. Im going to crime scenes and there are no clues, you can search every room none found.

Hello
    You may like to post feedback abut the lack of clues at crime scenes on this AHQ EA site thread.
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/TO-ADD-GTW-CL-No-evidence-at-crime-scene-in-apartments/m-p/6022426#U6022426
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    Tinkerball wrote: »

My second go around has not gone well. I got fed up and decided to arrest a guy. I wasn't allowed to do so. I got a popup warning me that arresting an innocent person could mean trouble. I probably should have arrested him anyway. As it is I've 'joined' him at work three days in a row. He's gotten two more clues, gray hair is one, but it still suggests it's a female teen. The second new clue was that the suspect was insane. I don't like following him to work. The newborn was so hungry the warning she could be taken away popped up. Seems a bit unfair, that if you desire to play this aspect of the game, that the developers don't give you the option to select, care for children for the Sims left at home. In Sims3, if any of my Sims left at home had a orange or red icon, I could pause the game, go back to the household and queue up the necessary tasks to 'fix' the problem. We don't seem to get that option in Sims4, which is problematic.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
  • ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    I've been aware of these bugs in the career for a long time. However, I was able to compromise a way around the bugs happening so far ( yes, the wrong suspect bug happens to me as well). First of all I have reached the top of the career 2 days ago and started just last week.

These are several tips I've used to play this career despite the bugs with it

1. Whenever APBs are issued and when it loads already to the place where you arrest the suspect PAUSE the game immediately and look around the area. I noticed that there are always 3 sims randomly on the lot when it first loads, and almost ALWAYS one of the 3 sims is the one you should arrest (even though they match 0% of the clues you've collected ).

2. So now that 3 of them are identified, they won't leave the area so now to figure out which of the 3 is the suspect. the "Ask About Suspect" is actually still accurate whenever I ask and they point to one of the other 3 (unless of course the one you ask is the suspect, then they won't help at all. :D

3. The last way to identify the suspect is to watch the 3 of the original spawned sims closely. I noticed that the suspect will have an idle animation sort of *looking over his/her shoulder*. Almost as if they were hiding from someone, this has always made me arrest the correct sim. However this will not work if they are socializing with other sims (but it's sort of like the Doctor career when you have to watch out for their symptoms in a way.)

So this is how I've been going through this career with relatively no problems. Ans yes, the suspect you arrest most of the time will match 0% of the clues given, hey but at least you get the job done and close all of the cases.

P.S. for a time I tried using the "Show Sim Info..." mod to see if it can identify the suspect from when issuing APBs, and apparently the suspect has a trait_isDectectiveCareer_Criminal on them who should be the one to arrest. BUT, even sims with this info when I arrest them will still lead to UNLAWFUL arrest for some reason, so the tips I gave in step 1-3 should still be the most optimal way to find the suspect to arrest.
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    That's quite helpful. The game is still bugged, clearly, but it makes me feel more confident about taking on the Detective career.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,560 Member
    I've been aware of these bugs in the career for a long time. However, I was able to compromise a way around the bugs happening so far ( yes, the wrong suspect bug happens to me as well). First of all I have reached the top of the career 2 days ago and started just last week.

1. Whenever APBs are issued and when it loads already to the place where you arrest the suspect PAUSE the game immediately and look around the area. I noticed that there are always 3 sims randomly on the lot when it first loads, and almost ALWAYS one of the 3 sims is the one you should arrest (even though they match 0% of the clues you've collected ).

2. So now that 3 of them are identified, they won't leave the area so now to figure out which of the 3 is the suspect. the "Ask About Suspect" is actually still accurate whenever I ask and they point to one of the other 3 (unless of course the one you ask is the suspect, then they won't help at all. :D

3. The last way to identify the suspect is to watch the 3 of the original spawned sims closely. I noticed that the suspect will have an idle animation sort of *looking over his/her shoulder*. Almost as if they were hiding from someone, this has always made me arrest the correct sim. However this will not work if they are socializing with other sims (but it's sort of like the Doctor career when you have to watch out for their symptoms in a way.)

So this is how I've been going through this career with relatively no problems. Ans yes, the suspect you arrest most of the time will match 0% of the clues given, hey but at least you get the job done and close all of the cases.

P.S. for a time I tried using the "Show Sim Info..." mod to see if it can identify the suspect from when issuing APBs, and apparently the suspect has a trait_isDectectiveCareer_Criminal on them who should be the one to arrest. BUT, even sims with this info when I arrest them will still lead to UNLAWFUL arrest for some reason, so the tips I gave in step 1-3 should still be the most optimal way to find the suspect to arrest.

Thank you for the tip! That's partly how I solved case number 1. The same gray-haired fellow. I shall try your tips since case number 2 is elusive and Mama Sim isn't really caring for her brood when Dad is at work! :open_mouth:
  • ArtsyBananaArtsyBanana Posts: 339 Member
    @GalacticGal I forgot 2 more things, 1. The Suspect is never younger than teens (so sometimes asking children is the safest option for asking about suspect). 2. sometimes one of the 3 first loaded in will be a Gardener/Repair guy, it's never them, in my case, but still they can help in asking about the suspect (and leave you with 2/3 sims to arrest the correct one!) .

@Loanet I still don't think I'll be playing this career again for a while until it is fixed. However, it did make the detective career a more difficult "Guessing Game" gambling career to see if you get the correct suspect, but yes this should definitely help out in the career, I just wish these were not necessary things I needed to do in order to play this career well when it's not suppose to be needed just cuz of bugs/glitches. ;)
    See what's up in my gallery: Origin ID: ArtsyBanana
    I have finally finished my Legacy Challenge , these are the Levis (numbered by Generation!)
    https://imgur.com/L3Q6aQZ

• qnoftheamazonqnoftheamazon Posts: 643 Member

Exactly what ArtsyBanana said. Helped me with my suspect. Parts of the description were correct (hair color and style of shirt) but, their is no way to tell what type of peronality the criminal sim has. When you send your sim out on patrol get to know some of the other sims you see. A peronality trait might appear, linking to the suspect. The biggest factor in making the arrest was, the sim being all shifty and refusing to help.
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top