Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Starting over? Am I insane?

Hey guys! I'm really excited about the new desktop I'm having built this week! But the thing is that at first I was going to move all my saves onto the new computer, but since it's new I thought maybe starting over wouldn't be such a bad idea, specially because I have a mess with CC! I do have mixed feelings cause I have been playing the same save since pretty much when the game came out. I thought that MAYBE it was worth a try, I was wondering if some of you have done a similar thing and if you recommend it.

I know that by the end of the day, I'm the one to make the choice, but it doesn't hurt to hear experiences from other simmers :)

I was thinking that maybe it wouldn't take me that long to build my game up, by downloading homes and just redecorating them (building is not my cup of tea). Has any of you just built up their game, by downloading lots and community places for your sims?

Thank you!
21mbz47.jpg

Comments

• Huiiie_07Huiiie_07 Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited May 2017
    Before I needed to reinstall windows on my pc something about a month ago, I thought the same thing like you, I thought starting over would be a good idea. I had a save that I started in october 2016 I think. Well, my final decision was to not move a single save, but a few hours later I regretted it. I eventually recreated this family I was playing in the old save to play out an "alternate universe", were some things turned out different than in the previous save.
    That's about my experiences, I tried it, but eventually played the same family again :D
    Origin ID: Huiiie_07

I like to build stuff
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Huiiie_07 wrote: »
    Before I needed to reinstall windows on my pc something about a month ago, I thought the same thing like you, I thought starting over would be a good idea. I had a save that I started in october 2016 I think. Well, my final decision was to not move a single save, but a few hours later I regretted it. I eventually recreated this family I was playing in the old save to play out an "alternate universe", were some things turned out different than in the previous save.
    That's about my experiences, I tried it, but eventually played the same family again :D

Oh I'm totally thinking about recreating all these families, I have since the sims 2! Haha

Thing is I was never organized when it came to CC and I have so many things I wanna get rid off lol. Honestly I think my main problem is having to rebuild! I love decorating so that's ok with me, but I do remember how tired I got of building.

Do you use CC?
    21mbz47.jpg
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    edited May 2017
    rebuilding newcrest and adding stuff to the other neighborhoods is literally my least favorite thing to do in a new save
    but it's a good thing to do if you're bored with the lots you already used in your save and want a fresh start
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    Congrats on your new desktop.
    I have deleted old save games after not playing them awhile but then ended up kicking myself because I missed the sims. I started saving the played and skilled characters to my library before deleting that last save game mostly to conserve space and because I hated scrolling through so many save games. That gave me a happy medium.. I can reuse them or start completely new games.
    You might have to redress some with new CC and that wouldn't be very hard.
    egTcBMc.png
  • DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    Yay for a new computer! I don't think I could start over, especially with a long-time save. Some of my older saves don't get as much play, but I do like keeping them for when I feel like revisiting the family. I couldn't imagine starting over, saves wise.

A couple options: You can just copy over you saves and nothing else. They'd be bald and nek.ked but it could be fun giving the town a makeover. Also, Sims 4 tray importer makes it super easy to get rid of CC you don't want anymore. Here's a video to explain how to do it.

https://youtu.be/VFn6cV-L1QY

Also, you could just pick out your favorite, must-have, CC pieces with tray importer and transfer them to the new computer, instead.
    rebuilding newcrest and adding stuff to the other neighborhoods is literally my least favorite thing to do in a new save
    but it's a good thing to do if you're bored with the lots you already used in your save and want a fresh start

For me newcrest was so overwhealming, like I see the empty world and it's like... urg what do I with this. I'm like very obssesive, so I'm really ... really organized. I need a theme I need some sort of order and when I just got the game, I kind of did a lot of stuff that I wouldn't have done, now that we are like 2.5 years into the game.
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    Congrats on your new desktop.
    I have deleted old save games after not playing them awhile but then ended up kicking myself because I missed the sims. I started saving the played and skilled characters to my library before deleting that last save game mostly to conserve space and because I hated scrolling through so many save games. That gave me a happy medium.. I can reuse them or start completely new games.
    You might have to redress some with new CC and that wouldn't be very hard.

I will recreate the exact same sims so I'm just going to pretend like they got make overs. I don't mind having to start with skills again, I mean hopefully I'll still feel this way when I start playing. CC is really my main problem, for example now I know that since CAS is so good I can deal with just downloading recolors instead of a bunch of new meshes!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,541 Member
    I love getting a new pc, it's exciting isn't it! I hope you are going to have lots of fun.

I have restarted a few times, and also reloaded (using previous saves). I have enjoyed it both ways around.

Sometimes it is nice to have a fresh start, and maybe just go without cc for a while and see how it plays out and then add some in gradually if you find you want some cc. Plus, sometimes my tastes and/or ideas change so I look back on a save and discover I no longer like the way I set it up and the houses and community Lots I put into it. So I start afresh and seek out some different ones and/or build some myself.
  • ladybreidladybreid Posts: 3,455 Member
    I do fresh starts periodically. I'll dump all my cc, delete all my saves and just start again.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    It's not at all unusual for me to get rid of all my saves, dump any CC and just start over.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Starting over (ten times) doesn't actually solve any issues in the game from my own experiences.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • luvdasims55luvdasims55 Posts: 14,648 Member
    starting over is such a pita. it takes several hours just to rebuild newcrest alone.

for me, i would transfer my save file to the new computer. it's better to have it to fall back on, as opposed to not transferring it and then later regretting it.

gratz on the new computer! :) i've had this one for over 5 years, so it's definitely due to be replaced.
  • MrMonty96MrMonty96 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Funnily enough today I just deleted my old save and started fresh, (I had already kind of been working on the new save) but it feels good like it's a new slate. I'm about to start a new legacy after getting BNS and Vampires.
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    Yay for a new computer! I don't think I could start over, especially with a long-time save. Some of my older saves don't get as much play, but I do like keeping them for when I feel like revisiting the family. I couldn't imagine starting over, saves wise.

A couple options: You can just copy over you saves and nothing else. They'd be bald and nek.ked but it could be fun giving the town a makeover. Also, Sims 4 tray importer makes it super easy to get rid of CC you don't want anymore. Here's a video to explain how to do it.

https://youtu.be/VFn6cV-L1QY

Also, you could just pick out your favorite, must-have, CC pieces with tray importer and transfer them to the new computer, instead.

Great! Very useful :) thank you so much

It's extrem
    I love getting a new pc, it's exciting isn't it! I hope you are going to have lots of fun.

I have restarted a few times, and also reloaded (using previous saves). I have enjoyed it both ways around.

Sometimes it is nice to have a fresh start, and maybe just go without cc for a while and see how it plays out and then add some in gradually if you find you want some cc. Plus, sometimes my tastes and/or ideas change so I look back on a save and discover I no longer like the way I set it up and the houses and community Lots I put into it. So I start afresh and seek out some different ones and/or build some myself.

its extremely exciting! I do like the idea of a fresh start I mean maybe I'm like 75% sure about this... it's just a bit hard to just start oveeer lol. The thing is that with so much content already I feel like at least CAS wise I'm set!
    ladybreid wrote: »
    I do fresh starts periodically. I'll dump all my cc, delete all my saves and just start again.

Is it hard for you?
    It's not at all unusual for me to get rid of all my saves, dump any CC and just start over.

Isn't it messy to just get rid of a bunch of cc?
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Starting over (ten times) doesn't actually solve any issues in the game from my own experiences.

It's not really an issue problem. It's just my game is so messy cause of CC and I have LOTS, so it seems like starting with a fresh start could mean to have a much more organized game.
    starting over is such a pita. it takes several hours just to rebuild newcrest alone.

for me, i would transfer my save file to the new computer. it's better to have it to fall back on, as opposed to not transferring it and then later regretting it.

gratz on the new computer! :) i've had this one for over 5 years, so it's definitely due to be replaced.

Thank you!!! Oh I'm so not rebuilding newcrest I'm downloading buildings. I tried by myself I got so frustrated
    21mbz47.jpg
    MrMonty96 wrote: »
    Funnily enough today I just deleted my old save and started fresh, (I had already kind of been working on the new save) but it feels good like it's a new slate. I'm about to start a new legacy after getting BNS and Vampires.

Really glad you feel that way! I hope I feel that way if I go through with it
    21mbz47.jpg
    Orchid13 wrote: »

Is it hard for you?

Not at all. Someday I'll wake up and see all those saves and all the cc and just feel like its too much stuff. and rather than sort through I'll just dump everything and start over. I enjoy the starting over process, the finding new cc or cc that I'll really use a lot or just whole new styles like last week I was on a rockabilly/pin-up/retro kick and when on a sims cc "shopping" spree, next week it might be gothic/punk I just never know but eventually it will all be too irritating to sort through lol.

wz3Vdbh.jpg
    Saying "not to be rude", then blatently being rude does not excuse rude behavior.

Is it hard for you?

Not at all. Someday I'll wake up and see all those saves and all the cc and just feel like its too much stuff. and rather than sort through I'll just dump everything and start over. I enjoy the starting over process, the finding new cc or cc that I'll really use a lot or just whole new styles like last week I was on a rockabilly/pin-up/retro kick and when on a sims cc "shopping" spree, next week it might be gothic/punk I just never know but eventually it will all be too irritating to sort through lol.

CC for CAS I'm looking forward too! It's really the building what's holding me back... that's why I thought that downloading stuff from the gallery was a good idea.
    21mbz47.jpg

Is it hard for you?

You must have a lot of time on your hands to be able to do that regularly.
  • GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Yes. Yes you are.

But do it anyways, its a lot of fun to start over with a blank slate.
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Yes. Yes you are.

But do it anyways, its a lot of fun to start over with a blank slate.

Hahaha really appreciate that very honest comment! I agree it's insane! But yeah I think it can be more fun than frustrating
    21mbz47.jpg
    edited May 2017

Is it hard for you?

lol I have to give 24 hour care to my motherinlaw and wrangle 10 ferrets I make time. Sims stuff is running all day and in between everything I have to do I get minutes here and there then in the evenings from 6p-11p I have uninterrupted time for the most part aside from giving meds at 9 and putting ferrets to bed at 8:30 and dishes at about 7:30.

ETA:
    TLDR... Nope I don't have a lot of free time I have to make time.
    wz3Vdbh.jpg

Is it hard for you?

lol I have to give 24 hour care to my motherinlaw and wrangle 10 ferrets I make time. Sims stuff is running all day and in between everything I have to do I get minutes here and there then in the evenings from 6p-11p I have uninterrupted time for the most part aside from giving meds at 9 and putting ferrets to bed at 8:30 and dishes at about 7:30.

ETA:
    TLDR... Nope I don't have a lot of free time I have to make time.

I wish I could be that organised lol.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    I wouldn't have the heart. My joy is seeing all of my rotational families living side by side in one save.
  • LolaLuvsSimsLolaLuvsSims Posts: 1,827 Member
    I delete everything and start fresh a lot. Once some content was released that would have suited an old family perfectly so I regretted deleting the save for a few moments but over all I like the fresh start
  • Oh_MereOh_Mere Posts: 49 Member
    My old computer bricked before I could backup any saves and at first I was really mourning the loss of my sims. I had a family that I had been playing for two years. However, starting completely fresh ended up being a really nice change of pace. Plus I really needed to clean up all the CC I had on my old computer, it was getting a bit ridiculous. Now I'm playing with no CC and only MCCC mod. It's actually nice. Sometimes the CC would clash when random townies would use it or it would bug out. I actually am happier just using the CAS stuff that came with the game. Less complications and I don't have to fix as many townies. lol

I'm sure I'll eventually load this PC up with tons of CC when I get bored but not yet.
  • DrivenInsanityDrivenInsanity Posts: 19 New Member
    Whenever I'd restarted it's always been due to a mess of CCs - oftentimes with them crashing or making the game near impossible to play. Though I have a short attention span and will get bored with families every so often and move on, so restarting has never been an issue for me. If you really enjoy following families and stories for a long time, then I'd say restarting won't be the way to go for you.

It totally depends on how you play and how you enjoy the game.