Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Escape Plan #38 - A Short Story

This is my entry for the SimLits short story competition for May. This months theme is "I'm Sorry". Good luck to everyone else who is entering, I'm sure yours are/will be amazing. Please tell me what you think and if you like it or not :)
P.S. Sorry about the random hashtags throughout, there was nothing I could do to prevent that.

SimLits Page

SCREENSCHOTS: 7
WORDS: 1484

MY ENTRY: ESCAPE PLAN #38

Escape Plan #14 – Failed
“Hanna… Pst, Hanna”
“What, no, not now”
“We have to. It may be our only opportunity”
“I can’t, I failed assessment this morning so they’ve restarted my tracker.”
“But, assessment isn’t for another 3 moons?”
“That’s what I thought, look, I can’t risk it.”
“Fine, I’ll do it on my own then.”
“No, wait…”

CAPTURE REPORT
To human adolescents were located on the outer perimeter of compound B, beside gate 4. When examined, they were found to be Hanna Quinn, 13, and Noah Quinn, 15, siblings, who both reside in the living quarters of compound B. Having escaped by setting off the fire alarm when on kitchen duty, they then exited the facility via the rubbish chute, whilst the rest of the humans were trying to locate the ‘fire’.
Both have lost any privileges they had previously earned and will be kept in solitary confinement for 1 moon.
Neither had any record of escape beforehand.
A fault has been found in the tracker. This issue will be resolved.

QWDEMiL.png

Escape Plan #51 – Failed
“Jacob, it failed the first time. What makes you think it will work now?”
“You didn’t have me.”
“And…? It won’t work”
“We’ll never know unless we try - I’ve told Noah, he’s up for it”
“I’m not sure, you’ve only just got out of your third solitary”
“That’s why it will work, no one will suspect me of doing anything”
“I suppose… Are you completely sure?”
“Yes, I promise, it’s fool proof”

HUMAN FILES
NOAH QUINN… AGE 17… 2 recorded escape attempts… the second attempt took place during the night of conquering, him and two other accomplices, one of whom hacked the security system, overpowered one guard and ran. They were recaptured by Gate 1, Compound B. When they were discovered missing, they had failed to breach the Gate and soon the inserted trackers had alerted guards to their position. He is awaiting trial
HANNA QUINN… AGE 15… 2 recorded escape attempts… the second attempt took place during the night of conquering, her being an accomplice to another two human males, one of whom disabled the security system, overpowered a guard and ran. They were located by Gate 1, Compound B, by their trackers. Sustaining a broken ankle from the fight, Hanna, and her fellow escapees are awaiting trial.
JACOB LOWERS… AGE 15… 3 recorded escape attempts… The third attempt took place during the night of conquering, he hacked into the security system when placed on cleaning duty in the panel room. Him and his two accomplices overpowered a guard and ran, heading for Gate 1, unable to breach the gate, they were capture and during the fight that ensued their capture, Jacob got hold of a gun and shot a guard through foot. He is awaiting trial.

nb5XDuN.png

Escape Plan #2 – Failed
“Two weeks, two weeks until they force me to become a breeder”
“Only that long?”
Yes, I have to get to of here, or at least die trying”
“It mightn’t be so bad Hanna, you would get a child to care for”
“Yes, but what if I don’t get paired with a human, what if I get… one of them”
“Hanna, I can’t”
“Jacob, do you know what happen to mothers of, them?”
“No…?”
“They eat them from the inside out. That’s how they grow.”
“What! – fine, do you have a plan?”
“Yes…”

TRIAL RECORD – HANNA QUINN, 16, NOAH QUINN, 18, JACOB LOWERS, 17
The 3 humans were bought in, followed by their assigned guards… by destroying their records the humans thought that they wouldn’t be noticed disappearing as quoted by HANNA QUINN “To destroy the records; however, we didn’t realise that they would be backed up on the systems”… The breach inspired a human rebellion, something that couldn’t be allowed to continue… made an example of… 10 moons will be taken off the time until their Reaping… NOAH QUINN screamed “I hate you, unnatural beasts” spitting in the face of the judge as he was led out of the building… Their tainted blood is unfit for breeding… TRIAL CONCEDED.

j4bi55n.png

Escape Plan #63 – Failed
“We have to go”
“Are you kidding, Noah?”
“What the… do you remember what happened last time?”
“Yes, yes, yes, but if we don’t keep on trying we’ll all die in here”
“And if we leave we’ll all die out there when they catch us”
“Hanna. Calm down. What do you think Jacob?”
“I have to agree with Hanna, it’s too risky, you only have 14 moons left”
“Exactly, that’s why I have to do this”
“No. I-I-I can’t. I-I… stop.”
“Even if I have to do it on my own”

“Jacob?”
“He won’t, I won’t let him”

INTERROGATION RECORDING AND SENTANCING – ESCAPEE, NOAH QUINN, 19
How did you get out? – I ran, and hid, and ran.
Ha, funny, you knew what I meant. Who helped you? – No one, I did it on my own, you know that, this is the fourth interrogation, I’m sure I’ve told you this already.
Impertinence! Would you be so daring if we told you we knew where your sister is? – What, no, you don’t, I hid- I mean, I don’t have a sister.
Yes, you do, and we have her, so you better start speaking – Boris…
What? Who? – Boris, the guard, I blackmailed him, him and another guard, I said I would tell, he believed me.
And that’s how you got out? – Yes, only, he betrayed me, so, I’m betraying him.
(RECORDING ENDED)
Sentence for escape attempt – Immediate Reaping, scheduled for two night-falls

sSTc73A.png

“Jacob… We have to save him”

Escape Plan #38 –
I glance around the meeting room where humans are allowed to meet in controlled environments, searching for the face I know so well. Glancing over at me, Jacob smiles, before walking over to a chess table and setting up a game. I wait a moment before making my way toward him, and sitting down I move the piece called a ‘knight’, before leaning forwards and whispering to him, “All clear”.
“Are you sure?”
“Yes”, I lean forwards and gesture towards the board, “Your move”
“Okay, here’s what we’re going to do…”
hxtIRl4.png
He carefully moves pieces around the board, showing me what is going to happen and how. Suddenly a sharp, piercing sound rings out from the sensors above our table, and all around the room people glare at us. Guards head over but are stopped by a commotion breaking out on the other side of the room, a fight. “And, that’s our cue”.
He slips away from the table, leaving me alone. As the pressure and noise in the room raises, I pretend to sway a little, then grabbing a shard of glass from a computer smashed in the fight, I slice down my wrist and yank out the tracker, before fainting with the pain.
I wake up back in my dorm bed, as planned, dried blood on my wrist, indicating that they don’t know that the tracker is gone. Sliding my feet off the bed, I pause for a moment and then tiptoe over to the door, sliding it open and then creeping down the corridor, pausing only when I hear the sound of boots approaching. Slipping into a nearby dorm room, I hush those inside, before slipping out again. Finally, I reach the cell blocks, and there I see Jacob.
“Hurry, I have the code”
“How?”
“Later, we don’t have time”, he punches in a series of numbers, “Did anyone see you?
“No one that matters” I reply as we rush inside. It is there that I see Noah, who, looking at our manic expressions, stands up quickly and, leaving no time for questions, Jacob barks out an order, “Run!”
AWjOt0w.png
As we dart through various groups of people, I can hear the sound of alarms, playing a funeral march in my brain. Overlords and guards appear from behind doorways as we plough through the door at the building entrance. Tumbling down on to the grass I can see Jacob and Noah ahead of me, already at the open gate, swerving as the chancellor’s transport pulls through. I follow them, darting through the closing gates and into the surrounding forest, followed by gunshots.
Free.
Suddenly I feel a sharp pain race through my chest, and, as I remove my hand from the area, I see it is sticky with blood. The world slows and dims as I fall to the floor, and all I can feel is Noah beside me, his tears falling onto my forehead. Slowly I see him get up and return with a flower placing it on my forehead, with two final words to express his grief, before running off into the night with Jacob, determined to live and come back to bury me soon.
O93sb3x.png
And as I am pulled into an endless sleep, Noah’s final words dance around my brain, numbing the pain,
“I’m Sorry”

Comments

• Options
    Pegasus143Pegasus143 Posts: 2,490 Member
    That was a very emotion-packed story-- you had me about in tears by the end. Great job!
  • Options
    MagicalPanda2003MagicalPanda2003 Posts: 79 Member
    Pegasus143 wrote: »
    That was a very emotion-packed story-- you had me about in tears by the end. Great job!

Thank You! :)
  • Options
    Babygirl80PlyrBabygirl80Plyr Posts: 1,493 Member
    This is lovely <3
    Honestly, I kinda want to see more of this universe lol, it seems really interesting
  • Options
    ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Oh wow - that's really cool. I love how the world unfolded through each vignette. I'm so curious about what all is going on here, if you end up writing more in this world, let us know!

Honestly, I actually like that she didn't really make it in the end. Although in one way she is now guaranteed her freedom? What a morbid thought.
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
  • Options
    MagicalPanda2003MagicalPanda2003 Posts: 79 Member
    ra3rei wrote: »
    Oh wow - that's really cool. I love how the world unfolded through each vignette. I'm so curious about what all is going on here, if you end up writing more in this world, let us know!

Honestly, I actually like that she didn't really make it in the end. Although in one way she is now guaranteed her freedom? What a morbid thought.

To be honest I won't really be writing anymore in this world as a series, only because I prefer to write short stories as I have a very short attention span and can never really keep up with series and writing demands. I prefer just to write short stories. However, I may write some more short stories about this universe, so, I don't know :)