Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is the best way to organize a mods folder?

LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
I have been going through my mods, and CC. I have found quite a few duplicates. The way I had it before was the reason for having it, so now I'm in the process of reorganizing my mods and CC. Most of the stuff is clearly marked what it is, but there are others that are a random group of numbers, letters, and a few Chinese Characters. I got those when I downloaded a few sims. At the moment things look to be a bit of a mess, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to organize this folder.

Comments

• nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Hmm... everyone has a different method, but here's how I do it.

Required programs (all freeware):
    - batch file renamer
    - Sims 2 organiser
    - Sims 2 hack conflict

Directories
    -Downloads
    -- mods
    --- by site (no subfolders)
    -- objects
    -- clothing
    -- hood deco
    -- by site (no subfolders)
    etc.

I have a posebox, food, and my own CC content folder besides wallpaper, floors, defaults, accessories, osmps, and cc lot content.

I remove all special characters from my files with a batch renaming utility, and then I run through Delphy's organiser to verify that I don't have duplicates or stray recolours.

All new downloads go into a temp folder unsorted and are properly sorted after I play the game and determine if I like the content and ensure that it won't crash my game.

I reckon if a lot of posters reply you can pick and choose what methods you like for restructuring your saves.
  • Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    edited May 2017
    My mods subfolder (as opposed to my whole downloads folder)

1. Mods that are not safe to remove from the game, or which are required to prevent excessive sim generation, character file shredding, etc.
    2. Mods that can be removed
    2a. Global Behavior mods (ACR, for example)
    2b. Essential troubleshooting mods and hacked objects (sim blender, the batbox)
    2c. Various subfoldered sets of hacked objects - I have a run-your-own-school set, various others.
    2d. Supernatural creature fixing mods.

I keep a link to SimPE on my desktop, and all my default replacements are in their own default replacements folder.

My Downloads folder has the following subfolders:
    1. Mods
    2. Build and Mode (Further divided into doors and windows, floors and walls, stairs and architectural details, plants.)
    3. Buy Mode (Furniture, mostly not divided at all)
    4. Genetics (Skins, Hairs, Eyes)
    5. Clothing (Toddler and child, teen female, teen male, adult male, adult female, elder female, elder male.)
    6. Default Replacements
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    What I do, since i tend ro binge download a lot, is have subfolders dated with the things I downloaded that day and then use delphys download organizer to make sure there's no duplicates in another folder.
  • DoctorMeow23DoctorMeow23 Posts: 26 Member
    I organize mine by
    Big mods
    Minor mods
    Clothes
    Hair
    Food
    Makeup/accessories
    Objects
    Themed cc
    Etc