Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Olympus?

Comments

• Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @jackjack_k - I'm more likely to believe a modder that's under no obligation to the company versus former or current employees...they can only tell us so much! @TwistedMexican has just given it to us straight after having seen the code. No fluff, no room for speculation...as @Cinebar said:
    Cinebar wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    @Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Weren't you constantly preaching Olympus was dead/fake? :lol:

Anyway, I saw surveys of a mobile Sims game posted in TS3's forum back in 2014, so I'd say it started around then.

nUUfIF5.png

Not fake, but a separate project entirely to The Sims 4, in which this game seems pretty much confirmation.

That IS interesting, though. Pretty much says to me that they shelved Olympus in 2012 (apparently) to finish the Sims 4, and got straight back to work.

It's not Olympus, I've looked at the code and it does rely heavily on TS4 assets, though modified, and there are design elements that were present in Olympus, but it's a completely different engine, borrowing game controllers from firemonkey studios, EA's mobile sector. Also if you watch the concept video, it's very clear Olympus was not being developed with mobile in mind.

Also TS4 was most certainly the end result of Olympus. This is for multiple reasons:

The UI in TS4 has Olympus code laced almost entirely throughout. For all intents and purposes, the TS4 UI is Olympus.

The game's code uses Google Protocol Buffers to talk between Python and C++. The only logical reason for designing a game like this is as a netcode (client to server and vice versa). I believe the mod-friendly python code we got was a result of needing a local client/server connection without modifying the core code. I can't say for certain, but it's very likely this crosstalk is why the game can't seem to keep up with simulations at higher speeds.

CASt wouldn't have been in the works either because of the amount of data transfer that would be needed to sync customized textures to all players, so that is a valid explanation for the lack of CASt in what we have today.

As a side note, we need to remember at the time Olympus was discovered and TS4 was announced with emphesis on "single-player offline experience", SimCity was crashing hard in response to it's online and restrictive gameplay. After years of working with the TS4 engine, I say all signs point to a sudden shift from a SimCity style engine to what we received today.

thank you if they can't take your word I don't know who they will believe.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    @jackjack_k - I'm more likely to believe a modder that's under no obligation to the company versus former or current employees...they can only tell us so much! @TwistedMexican has just given it to us straight after having seen the code. No fluff, no room for speculation...as @Cinebar said:

Anyway, I saw surveys of a mobile Sims game posted in TS3's forum back in 2014, so I'd say it started around then.

nUUfIF5.png

Not fake, but a separate project entirely to The Sims 4, in which this game seems pretty much confirmation.

That IS interesting, though. Pretty much says to me that they shelved Olympus in 2012 (apparently) to finish the Sims 4, and got straight back to work.

It's not Olympus, I've looked at the code and it does rely heavily on TS4 assets, though modified, and there are design elements that were present in Olympus, but it's a completely different engine, borrowing game controllers from firemonkey studios, EA's mobile sector. Also if you watch the concept video, it's very clear Olympus was not being developed with mobile in mind.

Also TS4 was most certainly the end result of Olympus. This is for multiple reasons:

The UI in TS4 has Olympus code laced almost entirely throughout. For all intents and purposes, the TS4 UI is Olympus.

The game's code uses Google Protocol Buffers to talk between Python and C++. The only logical reason for designing a game like this is as a netcode (client to server and vice versa). I believe the mod-friendly python code we got was a result of needing a local client/server connection without modifying the core code. I can't say for certain, but it's very likely this crosstalk is why the game can't seem to keep up with simulations at higher speeds.

CASt wouldn't have been in the works either because of the amount of data transfer that would be needed to sync customized textures to all players, so that is a valid explanation for the lack of CASt in what we have today.

As a side note, we need to remember at the time Olympus was discovered and TS4 was announced with emphesis on "single-player offline experience", SimCity was crashing hard in response to it's online and restrictive gameplay. After years of working with the TS4 engine, I say all signs point to a sudden shift from a SimCity style engine to what we received today.

I'm surprised this game uses Python, I thought that was a very old thing from way back in '95/ '98. (at least that's the way I remember it about floppy discs games from way back).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    edited May 2017
    @aricarai wrote: »

nUUfIF5.png

@Cinebar wrote: »

nUUfIF5.png

I'm surprised this game uses Python, I thought that was a very old thing from way back in '95/ '98. (at least that's the way I remember it about floppy discs games from way back).

As a modder, no disrespect, but all they can know is how the game is configured ")
    @TwistedMexican is actually speculating based on the code. Not from what's been said internally.

Olympus was an MMO had an online aspect confirmed, and we've already had confirmation The Sims 4 was had an online aspect, but was not an MMO.

So of course, in a game with online gameplay, that would be in the code.

HOWEVER, Olympus was an MMO. Chi Chan said there was an offline game as well, with a Story Mode and Freeplay mode. Which is not an MMO.

So, again no disrespect, we've had a Guru even confirm Chi Chan's comments, so;

Fan Speculation =/= Actual Confirmation.

Olympus doesn't mean "Online", Olympus was a code name for an MMO.
  • Options
    TwistedMexicanTwistedMexican Posts: 652 Member
    edited May 2017

Link to Chi Chan's comments & Guru confirmation please? I'm interested.

But the term MMO is a very vague one. People do not stick to a strict definition. For example I think the amount of sims you can interact with on Sims Mobile would not qualify as a "massive" multiplayer online by many people's definitions. For that same reason, it's expected that Chi Chan might have not considered TS4 one either.

But, I'm not here to deal in speculation and hearsay, I'm here to state the fact that Olympus is 100% the TS4 UI. It just happens to look way better than the concept video showed and excludes online elements.
    SRknqfd.png

It's important to note that the codename "Olympus" was likely only ever the codename for the UI, not the whole game. The name came from his website listing - The Sims 4 (Olympus) - is how we know the word, and the only reason it ever became associated with online functionality is because it happened to be present in the concept video. It was likely a whole separate project under a different codename.

So, do I think the direction that TS4 was heading, has resulted in what is now The Sims Mobile? Sure. Is it actually what they were intending to build way back then? Absolutely not. They just needed to do something with all those assets and time they put in.
    [Sims 4 Cheat Resource] || [My Mods - Base Game] || [My Mods - Expansions]
    [Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

I'm now on Twitter. I'd love it if you joined me there :)
  • Options
    edited May 2017

nUUfIF5.png

nUUfIF5.png

As a modder, no disrespect, but all they can know is how the game is configured ")
    @TwistedMexican is actually speculating based on the code. Not from what's been said internally.

Olympus was an MMO had an online aspect confirmed, and we've already had confirmation The Sims 4 was had an online aspect, but was not an MMO.

HOWEVER, Olympus was an MMO. Chi Chan said there was an offline game as well, with a Story Mode and Freeplay mode. Which is not an MMO.

I also don't know what you mean by only know how a game is "configured"... what we have access to, while incomplete, is factual code. It's programmatic - what we see is what precisely runs. If you mean to say I deal only in Tuning mods, you are mistaken - I have decompiled the game's source code and UI code.

And again, Olympus was the code name for the UI component, there's nothing linking it to the online functionality.
    [Lifetime Skills || Set Age || Full House ||Persistent FullEditMode || Persistent TestingCheats || DayWalker Vampires]

• Options

nUUfIF5.png

nUUfIF5.png

I also don't know what you mean by only know how a game is "configured"... what we have access to, while incomplete, is factual code. It's programmatic - what we see is what precisely runs. If you mean to say I deal only in Tuning mods, you are mistaken - I have decompiled the game's source code and UI code.

And again, Olympus was the code name for the UI component, there's nothing linking it to the online functionality.

I know what you have access too :) Modders are amazing.

And it doesn't surprise me if Olympus and The Sims 4 used the same codes etc. I'm sure TSMobile & The Sims 4 do as well.
    There's probably mountains of code that is for The Sims 4.

But Olympus was an MMO, The Sims 4 had an online "mode" was but mostly offline.
    Two different concepts.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Two different concepts.

No, I'm sorry - your definition of an MMO is off. For something to be an MMO it must only be capable of a 'massive' amount of players hosted in the same server. Some would have called Simcity an MMO, some wouldn't dare. But having an offline mode does not prevent a game from being considered an MMO if it also has an online mode. It really is one of the most vague terms in the entire gaming industry.

Also I must insist a 3rd time, Olympus was a codename for only the UI component, we never had any actual proof linking the term "Olympus" as the codename for the entire game. It's common for businesses to compartmentalize sections of a major project and the online portion was probably under a completely other name.

Lastly, there is a major difference between mobile engines and PC engines. The engines are borrowed from Firemonkey studios, for the very large majority, there is no sharing of code between PC and mobile. To clarify, I've looked at the Sims Mobile source code. It's not even close.

So again, Olympus-era assets in the Sims Mobile? Yep. Olympus code in Sims Mobile? Nope.

But, I digress. Have to get some sleep now.

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

nUUfIF5.png

Python was original introduced as a programming language in 1991. But the newest version of Python is actually from March 2017 ;)
  • Options
    CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    hypocrisy? Wasn't you arguing with me a couple of weeks ago that "Olympus" wasn't real and rolling out your alternative facts about "Patrick Kelly" saying it wasn't real?
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Erpe wrote: »

nUUfIF5.png

Python was original introduced as a programming language in 1991. But the newest version of Python is actually from March 2017 ;)

Thanks I haven't kept up with finding out if old stuff like that gets revised and updated. Do you know if the other Sims' games used Python and what would be the specific reason for using it for a game like TS4?
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

nUUfIF5.png

nUUfIF5.png

And it doesn't surprise me if Olympus and The Sims 4 used the same codes etc. I'm sure TSMobile & The Sims 4 do as well.

Two different concepts.

Can you link back to that? Because no where in the post did he say the game was offline. He said the game had a story mode, an online mode, and a freeplay mode that was based on both.

They all share code. "Olympus" (online game) was turned into TS4 we have today, and then this new mobile game was ripped from TS4 we have today. It's not that hard to piece together why or how these three things are connected. Each one played a role in the development of the next.

I'm still more interested in seeing this offline mode you mention. You want to claim to cite your sources please go ahead, I have all day.

• Options
    edited May 2017
    Two different concepts.

No, I'm sorry - your definition of an MMO is off. For something to be an MMO it must only be capable of a 'massive' amount of players hosted in the same server. Some would have called Simcity an MMO, some wouldn't dare. But having an offline mode does not prevent a game from being considered an MMO if it also has an online mode. It really is one of the most vague terms in the entire gaming industry.

Also I must insist a 3rd time, Olympus was a codename for only the UI component, we never had any actual proof linking the term "Olympus" as the codename for the entire game. It's common for businesses to compartmentalize sections of a major project and the online portion was probably under a completely other name.

Lastly, there is a major difference between mobile engines and PC engines. The engines are borrowed from Firemonkey studios, for the very large majority, there is no sharing of code between PC and mobile. To clarify, I've looked at the Sims Mobile source code. It's not even close.

So again, Olympus-era assets in the Sims Mobile? Yep. Olympus code in Sims Mobile? Nope.

But, I digress. Have to get some sleep now.

If you research Olympus, it was a game where you could visit different areas and meet people online. "Meet" as in not choose who you play with.

An MMO, by definition, is a game that can only be played online. There's never a offline single player mode. It's a game where you'd log into a server, and see multitudes of players all at once.

The Sims Online was an MMO.

ChiChan specifically said, The Sims 4 had an online "multiplayer mode", where you could compete with "friends" in doing tasks of whatever, but he specially mentions that you play with friends, which is more like you can have have two players play within the same game.

Notice how the multiplayer tests for The Sims 4, basically show two players playing the same game, but it's just those two players having control. It's not, a game where each person has there own set up, and just sees people online.
    hypocrisy? Wasn't you arguing with me a couple of weeks ago that "Olympus" wasn't real and rolling out your alternative facts about "Patrick Kelly" saying it wasn't real?

I don't know what thread you're reading :joy:

And at the end of the day, I was right, so.

nUUfIF5.png

nUUfIF5.png

Two different concepts.

Can you link back to that? Because no where in the post did he say the game was offline. He said the game had a story mode, an online mode, and a freeplay mode that was based on both.

They all share code. "Olympus" (online game) was turned into TS4 we have today, and then this new mobile game was ripped from TS4 we have today. It's not that hard to piece together why or how these three things are connected. Each one played a role in the development of the next.

I'm still more interested in seeing this offline mode you mention. You want to claim to cite your sources please go ahead, I have all day.

Read it again. He said Freeplay was a "traditional Sims experience" and that the online features and story mode features in the UI were disabled.

So there were no online or story features in "Freeplay" mode.

Unless you want to create your own story, that suggests it's still online even though the online features are disabled, then sure.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    @jackjack_k read what? You never produced a source for me to read, even after I politely asked you to. If you can't find a source to back it up then just say so and the issue will be done and over with. You took issue with me writing from memory so I produced my source, the same is all I ask.
  • Options
    Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited May 2017
    https://simsvip.com/2017/05/10/olympus-ui-multiplayer-code-found-sims-4-engine/

@jackjack_k This pretty much confirms Olympus and The Sims 4 are the same project, unlike what you have been speculating. After the SimCity failure, it was repurposed into what it is today, and we have MANY limitations in TS4 as a result of its repurposing.
  • Options
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    https://simsvip.com/2017/05/10/olympus-ui-multiplayer-code-found-sims-4-engine/

@jackjack_k This pretty much confirms Olympus and The Sims 4 are the same project, unlike what you have been speculating. After the SimCity failure, it was repurposed into what it is today, and we have MANY limitations in TS4 as a result of its repurposing.
    Not really. The modder actually says that Olympus only was a code name for a user interface which maybe was meant to be used both in TS4 and in other Sims games. This could also explain why the Patrick Kelly videos seemed to be from a slightly modified version of the old TS2 for consoles.
  • Options
    celipoesiascelipoesias Posts: 433 Member
    The guy has decompiled the game's executable file, which is FULL of references to "Olympus" term and commands clearly pertaining to the mechanisms of an online multiplayer game, and will still have people saying that were separate projects.

My God, people! This is unreal. It's obvious that The Sims 4 was Olympus, an online game, so things went wrong and the producers ran up against time to make some changes in the structure of the game and make it fall off offline, and that's explained By TwistedMexican on the SimsVIP news (with images). Absurd to think that the producers were working on two different projects of the game in the middle of 2013, a year and a few months before launching the game in the market.

The lots of the game require individual loading. We do not have Cast. We have no terrain tool. The game was released all mended and with a million features missing, and there are people who truly believe they did it to make the game lighter and more accessible to the public. Obviously not! Development went wrong, things changed from one to another, and there was not enough time left for them to make a better game. Hahaha.

What will it take for people to believe that The Sims 4 we have today was Olympus from yesterday after we had images like those posted on the SimsVIP? An EA statement saying the truth? :D:D
    tenor.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    No, he only found references to Olympus in the code for the UI. His conclusion therefore is that Olympus was a code name for the UI only. This is about the same as Patrick Kelly said. But the UI is only a tiny part of a game and there isn't anything that could stop the developers from using the same UI in other Sims games.

I have even played games that got a completely new UI in just an update ;)

So all the foss about Olympus seems to just have been about the misunderstanding that Olympus was the game engine in TS4 instead of just being a tiny UI ;)
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    No, he only found references to Olympus in the code for the UI. His conclusion therefore is that Olympus was a code name for the UI only. This is about the same as Patrick Kelly said. But the UI is only a tiny part of a game and there isn't anything that could stop the developers from using the same UI in other Sims games.

So all the foss about Olympus seems to just have been about the misunderstanding that Olympus was the game engine in TS4 instead of just being a tiny UI ;)

Let me clarify - The Sims Mobile UI is not Olympus. It's a completely different UI project. I have looked at the decompiled Sims Mobile code. The closest similarity they have is the decision to use blue plumbobs for other players.

• Options

Let me clarify - The Sims Mobile UI is not Olympus. It's a completely different UI project. I have looked at the decompiled Sims Mobile code. The closest similarity they have is the decision to use blue plumbobs for other players.
    Okay. That doesn't surprise me. I also think that it is unlikely that any code from TS4 was reused in the Sims Mobile.

So we seem to have two main misunderstandings in this discussion:
    1. Olympus was not TS4's game engine like many simmers have thought. It was only a small project about making a flexible UI which also could be used for later expansions even though the developers hadn't made many decisions about those expansions at all yet.
    2. The Sims Mobile isn't just a port of TS4 to mobile devices. Instead the Sims Mobile is a completely different game.
  • Options
    This doesn't explain anything though. Like, dig all you want in the code, it doesn't actually mean anything.
    People are arguing over a "name".
    I mean, call it what you want, really.

The Sims 4 was once online (we already had this confirmation from Chi Chan & SimGuruMeatball).
    Sure, lets call it Olympus.

But at the end of the day, the game Patrick Kelly was working on, was an MMO with the ability to meet strangers etc.
    Chi Chan (cosigned by SimGuruMeatball) said it was online only between friends.

And when modders have used this code, you basically play the same lot at once from two different places.
    It wasn't an MMO where you meet strangers as you play, like The Sims Online was.

Olympus doesn't mean = Online or Not Online.
    You guys are so convinced in calling the game Olympus, when really you're just saying;

"The Sims 4 was definitely called Olympus in Development"

which is call. But what you're fighting over is a name.

The point I'm making is, people are convinced the Sims 4 was a game like The Sims Online, as Patrick Kelly described.
    When Chi Chan, and the modding community have proven with said code, the game was multiplayer between friends.

That's my point.

I've never been talking about what it's called, I've been talking about what it "represents" and the context that Patrick Kelly provided.
  • Options
    So long story short;

The Sims 4 = Not the game Patrick Kelly talked about.
    The Sims 4 = The game that Chi Chan talked about.
  • Options
    @jackjack_k Patrick Kelly seems to have left EA already in 2012 and he seems only to have worked on the UI which he was told maybe also later could be used for some kind of multiplayer just like the Sims 2 for consoles which he had made the UI for earlier. About a year after he had left EA he wrote some texts about his idea that the Olympus UI actually was meant for TS4 and he used videos which he had made with his old TS2 for consoles to illustrate the UI. (Apparently he thought that this wouldn't break his contract with EA because he only used his own guesses and videos from his old game and not inside information from the Sims 4 team to make his articles. But EA apparently warned him anyway such that he had to remove his web articles.)

It seems therefore that Olympus only was the code name for the UI while Ikarus likely was the code name for the Sims 4 game engine. So Ikarus and not Olympus was the main thing for the developers.
  • Options
    @jackjack_k yes you do I will happily post screenshots of what you said.
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    Seems to me that this is Olympus.

The early screenshots of Olympus line up almost exactly with The Sims Mobile.

The blue Plumbobs for online players, the "Play Together" tag line, the camera angles, the UI placement.
    Even the point systems from Olympus look like they are carried over.

And while this seems like a stripped down Sims 4 port, it wasn't done overnight either.
    Considering it doesn't seem? to have Toddlers, I'd say this has been in the pipeline for years.

SIMSVIP also picked up on it as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p51vCBT0wV8

@jackjack_k hm, yet here are multiple screenshots of you dismissing the fact that Olympus was real claiming it was fake but 1. how can a 3d mobile game be Olympus if it's a "2d engine". 2. if Olympus was "scrapped early on" why are they using a over 5 year old system all of a sudden now? That doesn't make any sense? Mobile phones these days can run better then something from 5 years ago. 3. Like number 1 if Patrick Kelly apparently said that Olympus is a 2d game like your apparently claimed then and scrapped over 5 years ago then what? Did they recently just decide to make it 3d and bring features from a scrapped 5 year old game into sims mobile then??? Makes so much sense according to your logic.
    Screen_Shot_2017-05-11_at_13.11.17.png
    Screen_Shot_2017-05-11_at_13.11.45.png
    giphy_1.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    The point I'm making is, people are convinced the Sims 4 was a game like The Sims Online, as Patrick Kelly described.
    When Chi Chan, and the modding community have proven with said code, the game was multiplayer between friends.

Multiplayer ONLINE... Hence why it would have been a online game!
    No multiplayer offline...
    giphy_1.gif