Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Transferring Files -> New computer!

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    Shods95 wrote: »
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I bought a new laptop (yay!) and am trying to transfer my saved games from my old laptop to my new one. I've read all the comments so re-downloaded sims 4 from origin, started the game so that the folder appeared, then deleted the saves, tray and mod folder and replaced them with the ones from my old computer.

I started the game up again and there is nothing there. No saved games, no mods (I checked and they are enabled) and it treats me as a beginner with a tutorial etc... The cache is empty and I've restarted the game. :disappointed:

I'm at a loss on what to do next - does anyone have any ideas that could help?

Thank you in advance :smile:

Hello @Shods95
    I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    Do you use One Drive ? If you do, check to see if there is a sims 4 folder there that the game is using instead.
    fdubbunny wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    > fdubbunny wrote: »
    >
    > I recently had to do a factory reset on my computer (it wasn't functioning properly), and I had just assumed I would be able to just redownload them, and I didn't particularly care about my save files, and I knew I would just redownload my mods again, but now I've gone to try and redownload them and I can't, the only option is to too buy them? I've already visited the Origin help site and it wasn't at all helpful. I'm pretty positive I've signed into the right Origin account, but now I can't even find the Order confirmations in that email, or any of my emails for tat atter, and I feel like I'm going crazy
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @fdubbunny
    > Try logging into Origin using the same account that you used when registering the game, then go to games library and see if Sims 4 picture is there. Click on the sims 4 picture, and a new screen will pop up, then you can download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what sims 3-ep and stuff packs that you own. You can then download/install them there.
    >
    > Your save game files though are not stored online. They are in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 -saves folder on your computer, You would have have needed to make a back up copy and placed it on an external drive. I am sorry :(

Yeah, I don't really care about the save files, I would've deleted them anyway tbh. I am 100% positive that I've signed into origin with the proper email, but the games still aren't there, however I did notice in the lower corner of the Origin screen it no longer says my email address like it used to, nor does it sow the profile picture that used to be there. instead the image is just a blue 'A', and it shows my username. Originally I had just assumed that it was because Origin updated, but could it be related to my missing games?

Hello @fdubbunny
    I am sorry that you are missing the games.
    You will need to be in touch with EA Help. They will assist you,
    https://help.ea.com/
  • Shods95Shods95 Posts: 2 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > Shods95 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    >
    > I bought a new laptop (yay!) and am trying to transfer my saved games from my old laptop to my new one. I've read all the comments so re-downloaded sims 4 from origin, started the game so that the folder appeared, then deleted the saves, tray and mod folder and replaced them with the ones from my old computer.
    >
    > I started the game up again and there is nothing there. No saved games, no mods (I checked and they are enabled) and it treats me as a beginner with a tutorial etc... The cache is empty and I've restarted the game. :disappointed:
    >
    > I'm at a loss on what to do next - does anyone have any ideas that could help?
    >
    > Thank you in advance :smile:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @Shods95
    > I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    > Do you use One Drive ? If you do, check to see if there is a sims 4 folder there that the game is using instead.

Hi @rosemow :smile:

I do have onedrive and I just checked and there is a sims 4 folder in there so it looks like that is whats happening. I delteted it then tried again but still nothing! When I checked onedrive again it had been automatically re-created in there

Do you have any idea on how to stop that and have the one in my documents set as the automatic game?

Thank you!
    Shods95 wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    > Shods95 wrote: »
    >
    > Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    >
    > I bought a new laptop (yay!) and am trying to transfer my saved games from my old laptop to my new one. I've read all the comments so re-downloaded sims 4 from origin, started the game so that the folder appeared, then deleted the saves, tray and mod folder and replaced them with the ones from my old computer.
    >
    > I started the game up again and there is nothing there. No saved games, no mods (I checked and they are enabled) and it treats me as a beginner with a tutorial etc... The cache is empty and I've restarted the game. :disappointed:
    >
    > I'm at a loss on what to do next - does anyone have any ideas that could help?
    >
    > Thank you in advance :smile:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @Shods95
    > I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    > Do you use One Drive ? If you do, check to see if there is a sims 4 folder there that the game is using instead.

Hi @rosemow :smile:

I do have onedrive and I just checked and there is a sims 4 folder in there so it looks like that is whats happening. I delteted it then tried again but still nothing! When I checked onedrive again it had been automatically re-created in there

Do you have any idea on how to stop that and have the one in my documents set as the automatic game?

Thank you!

Hello @Shods95
    Try moving your Documents -electronic arts -sims 4 folder to the desktop.
    Then go to One Drive and find your Sims 4 folder there. Copy the Sims 4 folder and place it in the Documents-electronic arts folder where you moved the other one from.
    You then need to unlink One Drive . This link explains how to do that
    https://support.office.com/en-US/article/Turn-off-or-uninstall-OneDrive-f32a17ce-3336-40fe-9c38-6efb09f944b0
    Then start the game and see if that helps the issues.
  • peticalepeticale Posts: 8 New Member
    I hate to hijack a thread but because I'm not a member yet I can't actually make my own thread & this goes pretty well with my question. I want to start a vanilla game, no CC installed & I would like to get rid of my previous saves as well. Basically, I want to start fresh but backup my old files so if I want to play those saves again I can, & so I don't lose the like, one thousand pieces of CC I've downloaded. I just want all of that out of my game for a while, so I can go through what I have at my own pace & play the basegame for a bit. What folders should I backup & then remove from my Sims 4 folder to essentially start with a vanilla game? I don't want to backup the entire Sims 4 folder because I don't need all of that to start with a fresh game & it'll take longer if I'm copying more than the bare minimum. Thanks & sorry for hijacking!
    edited October 2017
    peticale wrote: »
    I hate to hijack a thread but because I'm not a member yet I can't actually make my own thread & this goes pretty well with my question. I want to start a vanilla game, no CC installed & I would like to get rid of my previous saves as well. Basically, I want to start fresh but backup my old files so if I want to play those saves again I can, & so I don't lose the like, one thousand pieces of CC I've downloaded. I just want all of that out of my game for a while, so I can go through what I have at my own pace & play the basegame for a bit. What folders should I backup & then remove from my Sims 4 folder to essentially start with a vanilla game? I don't want to backup the entire Sims 4 folder because I don't need all of that to start with a fresh game & it'll take longer if I'm copying more than the bare minimum. Thanks & sorry for hijacking!

Hello @peticale
    Your saves folder contains your save game files, your tray folder contains the creations that are in your library that you have saved there from your game or have downloaded from the community section of the gallery. Your mods folder contains your mods/cc. It would be best to make back up copies of your saves, tray and mods folders, and place them on an external drive or another section of your computer.
    Then move the sims 4 folder to the desktop , launch sims 4 game, and start a new fresh save game. A new fresh sims 4 folder will have been generated.
    After doing this, you can delete the sims 4 folder that you placed on your desktop.
    This link explains about back ups
    http://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/backups/
  • peticalepeticale Posts: 8 New Member
    I never really looked at the guts of my Sims 4 folder, so I really didn't know what was what. I'll backup those three folders. Thank you, rosemow!
    edited October 2017
    peticale wrote: »
    I never really looked at the guts of my Sims 4 folder, so I really didn't know what was what. I'll backup those three folders. Thank you, rosemow!

You’re welcome :) Happy simming ! If you have screenshots, you may also like to back up the screenshots folder also.
  • fdubbunnyfdubbunny Posts: 3 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    > > @rosemow said:
    > > fdubbunny wrote: »
    > >
    > > I recently had to do a factory reset on my computer (it wasn't functioning properly), and I had just assumed I would be able to just redownload them, and I didn't particularly care about my save files, and I knew I would just redownload my mods again, but now I've gone to try and redownload them and I can't, the only option is to too buy them? I've already visited the Origin help site and it wasn't at all helpful. I'm pretty positive I've signed into the right Origin account, but now I can't even find the Order confirmations in that email, or any of my emails for tat atter, and I feel like I'm going crazy
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hello @fdubbunny
    > > Try logging into Origin using the same account that you used when registering the game, then go to games library and see if Sims 4 picture is there. Click on the sims 4 picture, and a new screen will pop up, then you can download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what sims 3-ep and stuff packs that you own. You can then download/install them there.
    > >
    > > Your save game files though are not stored online. They are in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 -saves folder on your computer, You would have have needed to make a back up copy and placed it on an external drive. I am sorry :(
    >
    > Yeah, I don't really care about the save files, I would've deleted them anyway tbh. I am 100% positive that I've signed into origin with the proper email, but the games still aren't there, however I did notice in the lower corner of the Origin screen it no longer says my email address like it used to, nor does it sow the profile picture that used to be there. instead the image is just a blue 'A', and it shows my username. Originally I had just assumed that it was because Origin updated, but could it be related to my missing games?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @fdubbunny
    > I am sorry that you are missing the games.
    > You will need to be in touch with EA Help. They will assist you,
    > https://help.ea.com/

I feel kind of bad, but apparently when registering my account all those years ago, I used an email I eventually gave my younger sibling to use for school :'$. I appologise if I wasted anyone's time
    fdubbunny wrote: »
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    > > @rosemow said:
    > > fdubbunny wrote: »
    > >
    > > I recently had to do a factory reset on my computer (it wasn't functioning properly), and I had just assumed I would be able to just redownload them, and I didn't particularly care about my save files, and I knew I would just redownload my mods again, but now I've gone to try and redownload them and I can't, the only option is to too buy them? I've already visited the Origin help site and it wasn't at all helpful. I'm pretty positive I've signed into the right Origin account, but now I can't even find the Order confirmations in that email, or any of my emails for tat atter, and I feel like I'm going crazy
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hello @fdubbunny
    > > Try logging into Origin using the same account that you used when registering the game, then go to games library and see if Sims 4 picture is there. Click on the sims 4 picture, and a new screen will pop up, then you can download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what sims 3-ep and stuff packs that you own. You can then download/install them there.
    > >
    > > Your save game files though are not stored online. They are in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 -saves folder on your computer, You would have have needed to make a back up copy and placed it on an external drive. I am sorry :(
    >
    > Yeah, I don't really care about the save files, I would've deleted them anyway tbh. I am 100% positive that I've signed into origin with the proper email, but the games still aren't there, however I did notice in the lower corner of the Origin screen it no longer says my email address like it used to, nor does it sow the profile picture that used to be there. instead the image is just a blue 'A', and it shows my username. Originally I had just assumed that it was because Origin updated, but could it be related to my missing games?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @fdubbunny
    > I am sorry that you are missing the games.
    > You will need to be in touch with EA Help. They will assist you,
    > https://help.ea.com/

I feel kind of bad, but apparently when registering my account all those years ago, I used an email I eventually gave my younger sibling to use for school :'$. I appologise if I wasted anyone's time

It is good that your issue has been fixed :) You don’t need to be sorry at all!
  • CookieSmugglerCookieSmuggler Posts: 2 New Member
    I have a question. Once when I had first gotten the game, I soon switched computers. When I did I lost all my created sims in my library. I thought because it was under the same account that would be there but it wasn't. I want to switch again to a new gaming PC I have but I'm afraid I'll lose two years of CAS.
    edited October 2017
    I have a question. Once when I had first gotten the game, I soon switched computers. When I did I lost all my created sims in my library. I thought because it was under the same account that would be there but it wasn't. I want to switch again to a new gaming PC I have but I'm afraid I'll lose two years of CAS.

Hello @CookieSmuggler
    Your tray folder in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder contains all the sims household and builds that you have saved to your library from your game or from the community section of the gallery. Your saves folder contains your save games.
    Make a copy of your tray and saves folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your old computer and place them on an external drive. Then, after installing Sims 4 onto your new computer, launch the sims 4 game. This will generate a new sims 4 folder. Exit the game. Delete the new saves and tray folders that are in newly generated Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder, then place the old saves and tray folders from your external drive into the new sims 4 folder.
    Your save games and library creations will then be able to be there for you to use :)
  • CookieSmugglerCookieSmuggler Posts: 2 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > CookieSmuggler wrote: »
    >
    > I have a question. Once when I had first gotten the game, I soon switched computers. When I did I lost all my created sims in my library. I thought because it was under the same account that would be there but it wasn't. I want to switch again to a new gaming PC I have but I'm afraid I'll lose two years of CAS.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @CookieSmuggler
    > Your tray folder in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder contains all the sims household and builds that you have saved to your library from your game or from the community section of the gallery. Your saves folder contains your save games.
    > Make a copy of your tray and saves folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your old computer and place them on an external drive. Then, after installing Sims 4 onto your new computer, launch the sims 4 game. This will generate a new sims 4 folder. Exit the game. Delete the new saves and tray folders that are in newly generated Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder, then place the old saves and tray folders from your external drive into the new sims 4 folder.
    > Your save games and library creations will then be able to be there for you to use :)

Thank you so much!
    > @rosemow said:
    > CookieSmuggler wrote: »
    >
    > I have a question. Once when I had first gotten the game, I soon switched computers. When I did I lost all my created sims in my library. I thought because it was under the same account that would be there but it wasn't. I want to switch again to a new gaming PC I have but I'm afraid I'll lose two years of CAS.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @CookieSmuggler
    > Your tray folder in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder contains all the sims household and builds that you have saved to your library from your game or from the community section of the gallery. Your saves folder contains your save games.
    > Make a copy of your tray and saves folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your old computer and place them on an external drive. Then, after installing Sims 4 onto your new computer, launch the sims 4 game. This will generate a new sims 4 folder. Exit the game. Delete the new saves and tray folders that are in newly generated Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder, then place the old saves and tray folders from your external drive into the new sims 4 folder.
    > Your save games and library creations will then be able to be there for you to use :)

Thank you so much!

You’re welcome :)
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member

rosemow wrote: »

Hello @CookieSmuggler
    Your tray folder in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder contains all the sims household and builds that you have saved to your library from your game or from the community section of the gallery. Your saves folder contains your save games.
    Make a copy of your tray and saves folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your old computer and place them on an external drive. Then, after installing Sims 4 onto your new computer, launch the sims 4 game. This will generate a new sims 4 folder. Exit the game. Delete the new saves and tray folders that are in newly generated Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 folder, then place the old saves and tray folders from your external drive into the new sims 4 folder.
    Your save games and library creations will then be able to be there for you to use :)

@rosemow. I plan on getting a new computer soon and want to transfer my saves files, tray and screenshots too. When you start the game to generate a new sims 4 save file do you save the game before exiting or do you just exit without saving?

SheriSim57 wrote: »

Hello @CookieSmuggler

@rosemow. I plan on getting a new computer soon and want to transfer my saves files, tray and screenshots too. When you start the game to generate a new sims 4 save file do you save the game before exiting or do you just exit without saving?

Hello @SheriSim57
    You can exit without saving. You will be replacing the new saves folder that is generated, ,with your old saves folder from your old computer.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    edited October 2017

Hello @CookieSmuggler

Hello @SheriSim57
    You can exit without saving. You will be replacing the new saves folder that is generated, ,with your old saves folder from your old computer.

Ty rosemow !

Hello @CookieSmuggler

Hello @SheriSim57

Ty rosemow !

You’re welcome :) I hope that you enjoy simming on your new computer !
  • audreyg123audreyg123 Posts: 2 New Member
    I also need your help. We bought this game for our daughter for Christmas. The computer it was on crashed and we had to get a new one. We tried to reinstall it on the new computer but it keeps telling us Origin isn't installed even though it is. We've tried to figure out why it's showing this but I'm not sure what to do first. Can someone help or tell me where to start?
    edited March 2018
    audreyg123 wrote: »
    I also need your help. We bought this game for our daughter for Christmas. The computer it was on crashed and we had to get a new one. We tried to reinstall it on the new computer but it keeps telling us Origin isn't installed even though it is. We've tried to figure out why it's showing this but I'm not sure what to do first. Can someone help or tell me where to start?

Hello @audreyg123
    I am sorry that you are having this issue.
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling origin and see if that helps the issue .
    https://help.ea.com/en-in/help/origin/origin/manually-uninstalling-origin/
  • audreyg123audreyg123 Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks @rosemow ! I'll give it a try and let you know if it works.
  • momosimssmomosimss Posts: 1 New Member
    [i]hello all! [/i]

I have an issue related to this topic. I used to play with my laptop now I've started a new series on the new pc. I would like to transfer the old saves and tray to the new computer and also keep the new files from the new computer. Is this possible? I've tried to do what you have written and the old games appear when I hit the load button but whenever I load an old game file the new one from the new computer dissappears and when I load the new game file the old one disappears.

Is it possible to merge the old files and the new files?

Thanks for the answers!
    edited July 2018
    momosimss wrote: »
    hello all!

I have an issue related to this topic. I used to play with my laptop now I've started a new series on the new pc. I would like to transfer the old saves and tray to the new computer and also keep the new files from the new computer. Is this possible? I've tried to do what you have written and the old games appear when I hit the load button but whenever I load an old game file the new one from the new computer dissappears and when I load the new game file the old one disappears.

Is it possible to merge the old files and the new files?

Thanks for the answers!

Hello @momosimss
    You can have both the new and old files together. Each save file has a slot number. Change the slot numbers of the old or new files so that they don’t have the same slot number. For example if one of the old save files has the slot number that ends in 5.save and so does a save file on the new pc, then change the ending to 8.save on the new pc save file instead if there isn’t another save file that has the slot number 8
    Make a back up copy of your save files though before doing this in case issues arise
  • BusufuBusufu Posts: 1,965 Member
    edited July 2018
    Your sims 4 game is linked to your origin account. After setting up your new computer, dowload and install Origin onto it. Then log into origin on your new computer using the same account that you used to register the game and packs on the old Computer...

Hello, I have a short (dumb) question, as I am getting a new PC soon and will follow above instructions which are very helpful and easy explained. Thank you so much for this! :)
    My question is: After I installed Origin new, I have to log in with my current log in dates (which are my email adress an the password, correct?) Well that's how I always log in into Origin.
    I don't have any other details, such as product code or serial number... Do I need anything like this? If yes where to find?

Sul Sul!
    On my blog (German) you'll find two completed vampire stories 🦇 and an ongoing ghost story 👻.
    I'm also posting about my I'm surrounded by idi🤪ts! - challenge, in which I've now reached gen 9.
    Thanks for stopping by! 👋