Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Open World verse Closed World poll

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    dorcsyful wrote: »
    @ts1depot Ok, I know the discussion has gone to a completely different direction by now, but I just have to answer. The reason I brought up Riverview was only because I'm currently playing in that world. But I admit, Starlight Shores and Bridgeport does have empty venues. Or at least as long as you place 4 nightclubs and karaoke bars in your world. Not to mention that you can combine the library with the book store etc. (no, you don't need rabbit hole rugs for that) and more sims will go there. If you don't have a good PC, then you do have to take certain steps to make more sims come to the community lots. Think about it as a way to practice building. ;)
    One of their silliest decisions ever are the hot spots, imposing on players where they have to party tonight to have a little action. Nice idea on paper but imo horrible from the sandbox point of view. The gates preventing sims from entering a nightclub weren't their brightest idea ever either. At least, where NPC's are concerned (for active sims it can be fun).

Cameron_0306_zpsxqoc6vmh.png

But inactives should be able to enter a nightclub at all times.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    Open world. The lack of open world is the reason I have never tried Sims 4 (that and the lack of CASt and the cartoony look) and why I would never buy another sims game without it.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    > @Candyd said:
    > Open world with CAW tool. I want the sandbox back. I'll accept no compromise on this.

This!
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    Open world, no question.
    I’m not necessarily expecting (or waiting for) a TS5 though.
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    Open world.
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
    > @starguru said:
    > Open world, no question.
    > I’m not necessarily expecting (or waiting for) a TS5 though.

Sadly my hopes have been squashed a bit as well :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    starguru wrote: »
    Open world, no question.
    I’m not necessarily expecting (or waiting for) a TS5 though.

Sadly my hopes have been squashed a bit as well :(
    I wouldn’t say my hopes have been squashed, exactly. It’s more that I cannot know what the future holds for the franchise, so I’ve chosen to let go of my former expectations regarding it. I still have my preferences though, so if a TS5 is ever made for PC, I for one would appreciate seeing a return to an open world system, among other things.
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    Open World.

I tried the Sims 4 version.

Persisted with it for a few weeks - finding my boredom threshold was extremely low and getting lower by the minute with that game and finally abandoned Sims 4 altogether when I found I was repeatedly sitting waiting for the game to load up and shutting it down again the instant I saw that closed restricted environment.

I think my actual play time in Sims 4 went from about 5 minutes and up to about half an hour before it plunged to about 30 seconds and stayed at around 10 to 30 seconds for a few weeks before I finally gave up on opening it at all. Haven't patched for months now and don't plan to.

Therefore, if Sims 5 is ever released, and it is a repeat of any aspect of the closed Sims 4 type world I won't be buying even the base game.
  • juncedajunceda Posts: 2,614 Member

Open World hands down! please please! it could be so well done for a TS5 experience with actual tech...
    firma_zps7hsuhx2i.png

I can play at last TS2 TS3 and TS4 So great that toddlers are here!!!
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,280 Member
    edited May 2017
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    Sim is short for simulator. So the Sims game is a LIFE SIMULATOR.

Proof:
    The Sims is a life simulation video game series, developed by EA Maxis and published by Electronic Arts. The franchise has sold nearly 200 million copies worldwide and it is one of the best-selling video games series of all time.

Edit to say that if the Sims is NOT a simulation game, then why is it classified as a simulation when looking it up on the Origin website? Wouldn't it be classified as something else then? And what would it be classified as if it's not a simulation game?

Edit again to say that we really don't need the name calling in here. Calling people "arrogant" goes against the forum rules as it is considered harassment.
    - No Casting Aspersions. No matter what your personal opinion is of any individual, this forum is not the place to post rude or disparaging remarks about anyone. This includes public figures, EA employees and other forum users.
    - No Flaming. No Trolling. Flaming is intentionally posting hurtful, insulting, or harassing messages to others. Trolling is deliberately posting sarcastic, off topic, or rude remarks in order to incite a fight on the boards. Take the high road and be polite. Respect others even if their opinions differ from yours. If you disagree with someone, you are free to do so politely, but please don't make it personal.

I'm going to add the definition of what a life simulation game is so those that who don't know will see it and read it and understand that the Sims is a Life Simulation game since there have been so many debates and not only on this site but on the internet about whether the Sims is a simulation or not.

https://www.lifewire.com/simulation-games-3409922
    Definition: Games which try to accurately depict real world situations, physics, and events as accurately as possible. There are several varieties of simulation games, but are probably only three that are very well known, specifically Racing Simulators, Flight Simulators, and 'Sim' type games that emulate environmental variable into a game, such as the widely popular 'The Sims' series of games.

Also Known As: Racing Simulators, Flight Simulators, Sims.

Alternate Spellings: Sims

Examples: Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo are both considered racing sims (or racing simulators) because they employ the closest physics and effects that can be compared to real world racing, allowing the player to adjust almost limitless numbers of options to obtain the desired affect.
    Post edited by lisasc360 on
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    There's an interesting result here, although not scientific or anywhere near large enough to be a representative sample and there could be all kinds of skewing involved for other reasons, but I happened to notice just when this thread got moved from the TS4 side of the forum to here before the forums went down for a day and worldwide panic ensued ( :p ). It's now showing a marked increase for Open World votes at 81%, and that's to be expected given its current audience. But before it moved, Open World votes were at around 65% even though most to all of the comments did not reflect that.

Objectively progressing vs. subjectively better or both/neither, Life Simulator vs. Simulator of Human Lives, and all that other noise (sorry, that's all it was) and the unnecessary insults tossed around notwithstanding, I have to say there must be something else other than Closed or Semi-Closed Worlds that endears TS4 to many or most of its fans. Or the entire survey is rubbish because someone clicked Open World dozens of times in the beginning and got all of their votes counted -- just tested and multiple votes from the same user are counted. No offense to the OP, I know this was just meant to be a casual single-question survey for fun to begin with, but just pointing out that we can't paint all TS4 players with same brush any more than say TS3 players all have exactly the same opinions about such things. And, of course, there must be plenty of players of both games who appreciate both world systems for what they are. ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    igazor wrote: »
    ...I have to say there must be something else other than Closed or Semi-Closed Worlds that endears TS4 to many or most of its fans. ...
    Keep in mind I've never played Sims 4 so my opinions are based on what others who have played Sims 4 have posted in the various threads that have been moved to the Sims 3 sections of the forum.

I think one thing of Sims 4 that appeals is that the game can run on non-gaming computers as is, without having to install mods to compensate for some of the problems of Sims 3. It also seems to appeal to players who do not want to invest the time to create all aspects of the game. They don't really care that there is limited choice in the patterns and colors of the clothing, furnishings, etc just so long as they can set up their game and start playing faster. Sims 4 players also don't seem to care that the environment is just a backdrop because their focus is on their sim(s) similar to those who enjoy theater. In a play the stage back drops facilitate the illusion of a place so people can enjoy the action and dialog of the actors. They know they are not in a field or ruins or library or whatever and they accept the wait between acts while the sets are changed.

I on the other hand prefer film. :)
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    ... The gates preventing sims from entering a nightclub weren't their brightest idea ever either. At least, where NPC's are concerned (for active sims it can be fun).

You know you can change the limits put on the velvet ropes so that everyone can enter. As far as hot spots I tend to limit the number of possible hot spots as a way to cut down on bartenders and bouncers, etc. The less NPCs and service sims the less lag.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited May 2017
    cwaddell wrote: »
    I see. So you are one of those Snobby, Avant Garde simmers who sets themselves apart, imagining themselves to be on a higher plane than everyone else. >:)

Igazor, you know you aren't very good at being a troll. Why are you even trying?

Fair enough, as you were then. What I really meant to say was good points. I hadn't really thought of it exactly the way you put it, but that's probably why the two games and two world systems appeal (or not) to players so differently and even to the same players at different times. A player who drops a couple of sims into a fresh TS3 game and starts playing immediately without wanting to pay much attention to the world and what's going on or what could be redesigned around them may very well have fun for an hour or two (if that was the goal), but may also very well come away not feeling like the game session was an extremely interesting or appealing experience if they were expecting the "fun" to come knocking at their sims' front door, or something like that. :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited May 2017
    ... The gates preventing sims from entering a nightclub weren't their brightest idea ever either. At least, where NPC's are concerned (for active sims it can be fun).

You know you can change the limits put on the velvet ropes so that everyone can enter. As far as hot spots I tend to limit the number of possible hot spots as a way to cut down on bartenders and bouncers, etc. The less NPCs and service sims the less lag.
    Yes, good that you mention that. I do know and it's exactly what I do now ;) Except when I wanna have a laugh like in above picture. So that remains a thing; I would have preferred gates that keep your own sim out (providing the gameplay attached to that), but not NPC's. There is one exception: only allowing vampires. But that doesn't really work in the game. It would work if spots like that would automatically draw vampires, filling up the place with them. But it doesn't.
    5JZ57S6.png
    edited May 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    There's an interesting result here, although not scientific or anywhere near large enough to be a representative sample and there could be all kinds of skewing involved for other reasons, but I happened to notice just when this thread got moved from the TS4 side of the forum to here before the forums went down for a day and worldwide panic ensued ( :p ). It's now showing a marked increase for Open World votes at 81%, and that's to be expected given its current audience. But before it moved, Open World votes were at around 65% even though most to all of the comments did not reflect that.

Objectively progressing vs. subjectively better or both/neither, Life Simulator vs. Simulator of Human Lives, and all that other noise (sorry, that's all it was) and the unnecessary insults tossed around notwithstanding, I have to say there must be something else other than Closed or Semi-Closed Worlds that endears TS4 to many or most of its fans. Or the entire survey is rubbish because someone clicked Open World dozens of times in the beginning and got all of their votes counted -- just tested and multiple votes from the same user are counted. No offense to the OP, I know this was just meant to be a casual single-question survey for fun to begin with, but just pointing out that we can't paint all TS4 players with same brush any more than say TS3 players all have exactly the same opinions about such things. And, of course, there must be plenty of players of both games who appreciate both world systems for what they are. ;)
    Objectively speaking I think there are many simmers, also Sims 4 fans, who regret the small neighborhoods (5 lots), no modes of transportation, the lack of customizability and the fact there are so many loading screens. I have a feeling many people would be fine with larger, customizable sections, like a Sims 3 world cut in three or four parts. And backdrops that would make sense.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    edited May 2017

Yes, good that you mention that. I do know and it's exactly what I do now ;) Except when I wanna have a laugh like in above picture. So that remains a thing; I would have preferred gates that keep your own sim out (providing the gameplay attached to that), but not NPC's. There is one exception: only allowing vampires. But that doesn't really work in the game. It would work if spots like that would automatically draw vampires, filling up the place with them. But it doesn't.

The Barrier to Entry system that come with the Plumbob Theatre venue from the store might do what you prefer. You get a door and an arch that you can program to allow certain types of sim through. It is a bit complicated to set up though as there are so many options in it. Might be a gate too. There is a ticket vending machine too so sims can buy a ticket to get in if necessary too.
    edited May 2017
    Karritz wrote: »

The Barrier to Entry system that come with the Plumbob Theatre venue from the store might do what you prefer. You get a door and an arch that you can program to allow certain types of sim through. It is a bit complicated to set up though as there are so many options in it. Might be a gate too. There is a ticket vending machine too so sims can buy a ticket to get in if necessary too.
    Thanks, I do have that. Worth the try (never used it).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Candyd wrote: »
    Open world with CAW tool. I want the sandbox back. I'll accept no compromise on this.

Absolutely this.

Though I have to be honest. With this mobile, micro-transactioned plastic rubbish they're bringing out now, I do not think we will ever see another rich and involving Sims game like 2 or 3 again.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    @Pary I agree :( I'm not very optimistic either. But at least we can still repeatedly ask for it, and as long as they haven't said anything official I'll keep trying :)
    edited May 2017
    Pary wrote: »
    Candyd wrote: »
    Open world with CAW tool. I want the sandbox back. I'll accept no compromise on this.

Absolutely this.

Though I have to be honest. With this mobile, micro-transactioned plastic rubbish they're bringing out now, I do not think we will ever see another rich and involving Sims game like 2 or 3 again.
    Not from EA, no, I have the very same fear. Investing in an amazing life simulation game, daring to push boundaries and preparing to invest (instead of charging people silly amounts of money for practically nothing). All they seem interested in now is if people buy their product, not if they love and enjoy it.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Open World: 81%

Closed World: 19%
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Open World ;)
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > Pary wrote: »
    >
    > Candyd wrote: »
    >
    > Open world with CAW tool. I want the sandbox back. I'll accept no compromise on this.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Absolutely this.
    >
    > Though I have to be honest. With this mobile, micro-transactioned plastic rubbish they're bringing out now, I do not think we will ever see another rich and involving Sims game like 2 or 3 again.
    >
    >
    >
    > Not from EA, no, I have the very same fear. Investing in an amazing life simulation game, daring to push boundaries and preparing to invest (instead of charging people silly amounts of money for practically nothing). All they seem interested in now is if people buy their product, not if they love and enjoy it.

I also have these concerns. I have nothing against a mobile game but I do want them to continue with PC games as well. PCs are not dead and neither are PC games ;)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,426 Member

Reminds me of the major arguments between digital camera users and 35mm proponents in the photography forums I frequent. :mrgreen: But I agree with you in regards to Sims 4 users and Sims 3 users objectives.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~