Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Adding new students to University

My sim is starting his third second-week term at University. Already during his second term, many of the other YAs in town were walking around in graduation robes which (obviously) shows that they have already graduated, and my sim was the only one showing up at lectures and activities.

I would like him to have some classmates again. I know that I can go into Edit Town and move more YAs in, but what I don't know is will these new residents automatically become students, or do I have to do something to enroll them? My problem is specifically that I need more students, not more people.

(I'm using some NRAAS mods including Master Controller).

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    There's a number of things that are supposed to happen here that sometimes fail.

When inactives graduate, regardless of the robes they are wearing, they are still eligible to continue their studies in different majors. Some of them have really been working on different degrees at different times all along.

Not sure what happens if a sim gets all of the possible degrees and hasn't passed on from old age yet; likely they will continue to register for yet more semesters if things are working right (and if you don't mind a Uni World full of very smart elders).

But sometimes for many of us, the game just doesn't generate another semester's worth of students on that first Sunday morning before the Meet & Greet. I've used NRaas SP's Rapid Immigration to bring in fresh sims, who will always try to live in off-campus housing, and then spend some time using MC > Add Sim to add some of them to dorms and the frat/sorority houses. And even then, they don't always pick up academic careers and I have to coax them into that with MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Choose Academic Career (Level 1 for regular students, Level 2 for "Professors" to be set separately).

It's a lot of work when this doesn't all happen automatically, but as long as I don't start a new semester all that often it's still fun for me to go through the procedure each time I want fresh faces in town. Usually I end up replacing around 1/3 to 1/2 of them anyway and many of the graduates (I mean the ones whom I really don't want to see in Uni World anymore, enough studying already!) I gather up and move them to my other worlds if I ever want to see them again.

The above also means that I use SP for story progression for Uni World. Some say that's a no-no, but I think things feel much more realistic that way.

Does any of that help?
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited April 2017
    Nevermind, posted too slow, lol.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    igazor wrote: »

Does any of that help?

All of it helps! :smiley: Thank you very much, @igazor !

Update on my University game: I ended up not adding any new sims to my University town, but instead manually giving every YA sim I met in town an academic career. It seems that some of them got their first degree and didn't enroll for a second one, and some dropped out before even getting the first one. When I looked at their Career status they all showed up as "unemployed". After I did this my sim went to his open lecture and the classroom was satisfyingly full:
    zuozfo.jpg

Thanks again for your advice, @igazor !
    Awesome! I often assign their Academic Careers in batches of sims by major instead of one at a time when this happens, but admittedly that makes more sense when working with new sims. With ones who have already been in Uni for a while, I feel obligated to figure out which majors they had been working on and try to keep them on the same track. Not sure why I bother, but I guess a sim who seems like they are only there to pursue a PhysEd degree doesn't really need to be enrolled in business or arts courses for an entire term.

Now we just need a way to make them more interested in those lectures. I don't see a single sim in that room who wouldn't rather be someplace else. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @palmarrow That classroom looks enthused,and did you notice Anoki Moon is about to punch the guy next to him.And why is Shannon Arkers such a creepy sim. :#
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
    @palmarrow That classroom looks enthused,and did you notice Anoki Moon is about to punch the guy next to him.And why is Shannon Arkers such a creepy sim. :#
    LOL, at first I thought Anoki was yawning and stretching, but you might be right. I'd like to see the professor in that scene. In my imagination they showed up for class in their underwear and a funny face mask.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Lol, Anoki Moon does look like he's about to punch the guy next to him! Shannon Arkers looks like she needs an enormous cake, urgently.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    Update on my University game: I ended up not adding any new sims to my University town, but instead manually giving every YA sim I met in town an academic career. It seems that some of them got their first degree and didn't enroll for a second one, and some dropped out before even getting the first one. When I looked at their Career status they all showed up as "unemployed". After I did this my sim went to his open lecture and the classroom was satisfyingly full:
    zuozfo.jpg

Thanks again for your advice, @igazor !
    Dumb question no doubt, but how did you do that..?
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 , I did it with Master Controller, the way @igazor suggested: MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Choose Academic Career
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 , I did it with Master Controller, the way @igazor suggested: MC > Sim > Intermediate > Career > Choose Academic Career
    Thanks (and thanks igazor of course, missed that ;)). Same thing happened to me in my sim's third semester (empty classroom) so now at least I know I can do something about that.
    5JZ57S6.png