Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can you get identical twins in sims 2?

JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
I don't think I have ever had identical twins in sims 2 so was wondering if it was possible. I often have siblings that are identical and once had twin girls that had the same face but one had darker skin.

Comments

• Scribal_GoddessScribal_Goddess Posts: 748 Member
    The probability is actually a lot lower than getting identical siblings out of two different births.

This is because a sim's genetics and personality randomize (though they're based on the parents' genetics and personality) at birth, and it's very unlikely to get the same combination twice in a row. However, if you forget to randomize the sim generation process by going into CAS and clicking the dice to generate a random sim several times before each birth, you can get "firstborn effect," where the second baby born to a couple has identical genes and personality to the first because the randomization process doesn't work properly for the first birth in a play session. (To avoid this, always save at the time of birth, exit to the neighborhood, roll the CAS dice a few times. Every sim born after that should be randomized properly, until you shut your game down again.)

I have seen people get "identical" twins from parents with very similar genetics - if, for example, you had two CAS sims with very similar faces but different hair and eye colors, both the twins would get the dominant hair color (since CAS sims have no recessive genes) and dominant eye color.

With sims who are born in game, you can get recessive genes. If your Blonde haired, grey eyed sim married a black haired brown eyed sim, her kids would all have black hair and brown eyes (and a mix of the two faces) but if one of her kids married a red headed sim with blue eyes, the kids could come out with black hair (2/4 chance) red hair (1/4 chance) or blond hair (1/4 chance). Eyes are a little more difficult, because instead of having two dominant colors and two recessive colors, by hair, each eye is recessive over a certain number of the other colors. Skins are also difficult, because if you have a sim with the darkest in-game skin, and a sim with the lightest in game sim, they could come out with babies of any of the four in-game skin colors.

TLDR; Yes, sort of, but they are almost guaranteed to have a different zodiac and both the parents have to look very similar. Any siblings the twins had would also look very close to identical to them.
    Patron Goddess of Newbs and Ninnyhammers.
    TS2 Graphics Fix Tutorial]
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    The probability is actually a lot lower than getting identical siblings out of two different births.

(To avoid this, always save at the time of birth, exit to the neighborhood, roll the CAS dice a few times. Every sim born after that should be randomized properly, until you shut your game down again.)

Where do you go to do this?

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

(To avoid this, always save at the time of birth, exit to the neighborhood, roll the CAS dice a few times. Every sim born after that should be randomized properly, until you shut your game down again.)

Save, go out to neighborhood, then into create a sim. Just hit the randomize button a few times and that's it. Cancel the sim you were randomizing (you don't need to keep them) then just go back to your lot. You should do this just before your sim is going to give birth, or before you start to play, if you know your sim is giving birth when you play the game that day.

Note if you play long enough in one sitting to have more then one child, you don't need to do this. It only resets itself after you shut down the game each time.
    JULES1111 wrote: »

Save, go out to neighborhood, then into create a sim. Just hit the randomize button a few times and that's it. Cancel the sim you were randomizing (you don't need to keep them) then just go back to your lot. You should do this just before your sim is going to give birth, or before you start to play, if you know your sim is giving birth when you play the game that day.

Note if you play long enough in one sitting to have more then one child, you don't need to do this. It only resets itself after you shut down the game each time.

OK, thanks! Is Create a Sim the thing you go into when you don't want to use the pre-made ones in the lot? I just want to make sure it's not something I haven't used before. I mean, I've made my own Sims lots of times, I just never knew there was a name for it.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    I have gotten identical twins once (boys). That was last year, and have been playing Sims2 since it came out, with I have lost count of how many births.

OK, thanks! Is Create a Sim the thing you go into when you don't want to use the pre-made ones in the lot? I just want to make sure it's not something I haven't used before. I mean, I've made my own Sims lots of times, I just never knew there was a name for it.

:D LOL yes that is the place you go to make your own sims. Now you learned there is also a name for it. :)
    edited April 2017

:D LOL yes that is the place you go to make your own sims. Now you learned there is also a name for it. :)

LMAO! OK, thanks! And there's a something to make it random? Does it say "Random? or Randomize?" It usually takes me an hour or so to make my Sim(s) because I always pick and choose EVERYTHING I want for them.

LMAO! OK, thanks! And there's a something to make it random? Does it say "Random? or Randomize?" It usually takes me an hour or so to make my Sim(s) because I always pick and choose EVERYTHING I want for them.

Yes it looks like dice. It will say randomize when you hover your mouse over it. :)

Yes it looks like dice. It will say randomize when you hover your mouse over it. :)

OH! Got it! Today just seems to be a day of, "I'm just stvpid" lol. Because I stopped off at a gas station today and they had signs everywhere saying, "Internet Down, Cash Only," and I misread the signs as saying, "Interest Down, Cash Only," and thought, "OK... I don't get it, but..." and then saw a sign that said, "Pre-Pay Inside," so I went in and explained that I had no problem paying cash, but I want to fill the tank so I don't know how much that will be," and the gal had no problem with that, so I went back to the pump and removed the nozzle, and stuck it in the tank per usual, and pushed the button on the pump to indicate which type of fuel I wanted, and I start trying to pump the gas, but it won't flow. So I keep trying to push the button on the pump and I happen to look up toward the station and the gal is in the window moving her arm in an up and down motion and I looked at her puzzled for a moment until I realized she was indicating for me to flip the arm the nozzle sits on to release the gas to the hose and nozzle, lol. So yeah, that's the kind of day I'm having, lol.

OH! Got it! Today just seems to be a day of, "I'm just stvpid" lol. Because I stopped off at a gas station today and they had signs everywhere saying, "Internet Down, Cash Only," and I misread the signs as saying, "Interest Down, Cash Only," and thought, "OK... I don't get it, but..." and then saw a sign that said, "Pre-Pay Inside," so I went in and explained that I had no problem paying cash, but I want to fill the tank so I don't know how much that will be," and the gal had no problem with that, so I went back to the pump and removed the nozzle, and stuck it in the tank per usual, and pushed the button on the pump to indicate which type of fuel I wanted, and I start trying to pump the gas, but it won't flow. So I keep trying to push the button on the pump and I happen to look up toward the station and the gal is in the window moving her arm in an up and down motion and I looked at her puzzled for a moment until I realized she was indicating for me to flip the arm the nozzle sits on to release the gas to the hose and nozzle, lol. So yeah, that's the kind of day I'm having, lol.

LOL! :joy::joy::joy::joy: That's ok, we all have days like that!
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member

I never know you could do this either good to know :)

@SataiDelennn

Lol re the gas station I am glad things like that don't only happen to me :)

Nah, I forget sometimes that people who are new don't know the lingo, because what we call all the little unlabeled icons has been set for nearly a decade at this point. (CAS = Create A Family = open the family tab and click the big square button. ;) )

The Sim randomizer is located at step 1 of create a sim. Just click the dice. I usually spam click a few times, just so it's good and randomized. You don't have to continue making a sim after you do it, you can just cancel the family and load the lot again. :)
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »

I never know you could do this either good to know :)

@SataiDelennn

Lol re the gas station I am glad things like that don't only happen to me :)

LMAO! No, you're definitely not the only one. I sometimes think I'm partially dyslexic because I tend to misread things sometimes and I wind up rereading things because I'm like, "Um, WHAT!?" and sometimes it will only take one reread, but sometimes I'll reread something about fifteen times before I realize what the word was I'd been skipping/not seeing, or the word I did read suddenly transforms into what it really was saying, and I'll just shake my head and think, "OK, NOW that makes sense!" lol.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I believe this should explain some stuff. I remember someone sharing it with me long ago. Rolling the Pacifier and First Born Syndrome explain why siblings look so alike and whatnot. Also states that identical twins are practically impossible unless the mother gets pregnant with herself.
    http://simswiki.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Pregnancy
    cleo00 wrote: »
    I believe this should explain some stuff. I remember someone sharing it with me long ago. Rolling the Pacifier and First Born Syndrome explain why siblings look so alike and whatnot. Also states that identical twins are practically impossible unless the mother gets pregnant with herself.

Considering the popularity of Face 1, unmodified, for both male and female sims, it's not quite that unlikely with base game genetics for hair, skin and eyes, even if the two sims have different hair and eye colors.

Here's a tutorial on sims 2 genetics for the interested.

Short version: If both sims have the same face template and skin tone, all of their offspring will have the same facial structure and skin color. If sims were made in CAS, their offspring will always get a "dominant" hair color if one is available via a parent (black or brown) and a dominant eye color. Thus, in the base game if you have a black haired, grey eyed male with face 1 and skin tone 3, and a blonde haired, brown eyed female with face 1 and skin tone 3, their offspring will always be black haired, brown eyed children with face one and skin tone 3. These children can pass on recessive genes to their kids, though, so as you play more generations you get more and more lovely surprises. :)

But yeah, if your parent sims don't look much alike, you pretty much never get identical twins.

/ end genetics geekery

• cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    cleo00 wrote: »

Considering the popularity of Face 1, unmodified, for both male and female sims, it's not quite that unlikely with base game genetics for hair, skin and eyes, even if the two sims have different hair and eye colors.

Here's a tutorial on sims 2 genetics for the interested.

Short version: If both sims have the same face template and skin tone, all of their offspring will have the same facial structure and skin color. If sims were made in CAS, their offspring will always get a "dominant" hair color if one is available via a parent (black or brown) and a dominant eye color. Thus, in the base game if you have a black haired, grey eyed male with face 1 and skin tone 3, and a blonde haired, brown eyed female with face 1 and skin tone 3, their offspring will always be black haired, brown eyed children with face one and skin tone 3. These children can pass on recessive genes to their kids, though, so as you play more generations you get more and more lovely surprises. :)

But yeah, if your parent sims don't look much alike, you pretty much never get identical twins.

/ end genetics geekery

Ah, yes I suppose if the parents have similar faces it is likely the offspring all will. I personally don't make my own sims I use ones I download so I end up with some extremely wonky babies. The majority of them have super sunken in eyes so they can't wear eyeshadow or they look like fish children :D