Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why kids cannot pick fruits?

picking fruits and gardening is something that Sims Kids could do. Let them plant at least 2 types of plants like beans and tomatoes. You may try to avoid independent kids, but this not need to be in big proportions.

Comments

• SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I agree. I never understood why kids can't garden. I had a garden as a kid. Parents might have to spray for bugs, but kids should be able to do the rest.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    YES! This is so stupid! Even toddlers can water plants, why can't child sims do anything??

I was tought how to grow tomatoes when I was 9 but these sim kids are incredibly useless in this regard loooool.

They can't even collect stuff from those rocks...(as far as I know).
  • Emma_Smith101Emma_Smith101 Posts: 453 Member
    YES! This is so plum! Even toddlers can water plants, why can't child sims do anything??

I was tought how to grow tomatoes when I was 9 but these sim kids are incredibly useless in this regard loooool.

They can't even collect stuff from those rocks...(as far as I know).

@JumpingTrains they can collect stuff from the rocks and frogs from the logs.
    I share my builds and Sims' stories sometimes at: https://simplicityplaysss.tumblr.com/
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I agree with you. Kids should be able to garden. At least let them water and weed the plants and collect the harvest. Maybe the upcoming family game pack will give us this option? I doubt it, but I am hoping.
  • secretuk1965secretuk1965 Posts: 5,341 Member
    I agree kids should be able to garden, they couldn't in the sims 3 but could use things that was more dangerous like science table, same as sims 4, i don't see why gardening and watering plants can't be for kids i did this when i was young.
  • I8PIKACHUI8PIKACHU Posts: 572 Member
    edited April 2017
    Child. Labor. Laws. We're trying to have a civilization here...

But we definitely need chores because my house needs a good cleaning and the kids would be great free labor.
    soul-glo.gif
    Let your soul shine through.
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,935 Member
    Since The Sims 3, children cannot harvest and garden at all. In The Sims 2 and 1, they can garden and harvest.
    They can fish, but can't garden.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited April 2017
    I8PIKACHU wrote: »
    Child. Labor. Laws. We're trying to have a civilization here...

But we definitely need chores because my house needs a good cleaning and the kids would be great free labor.

ugh, morality

WW7lq.gif

it's so overrated.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    This frustrates me to, it would be great if the children could weed, water and plant. and clean the sink, bath and shower. They need more chores.
  • AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited April 2017
    It's really bad design to not have anything useful for kids to do. Kids should love that stuff - playing in the garden, playing house etc. Play in the dirt, bake and leave a mess everywhere, help clean the house and so on...
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    Yes kids should be able to weed, water, and harvest a plant!
    And make their own sandwiches and microwave meals!
    Gardening and Cooking should be skills kids can learn too!
    (Sorry for all of the exclamation marks.)
    tCTe03l.png
  • MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member
    I assume it is an animation problem.
    for those who are not against mods, there is one that enabled them to do this, using the swipe animation
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • SeliosSelios Posts: 81 Member
    agree! kids should be able to help out more.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,502 Member
    Learning how to do these things and giving children household chores is a way of teaching them responsibilities. Has NOTHING to do with Child Labor. I agree, children shouldn't be exploited as they once were, but that's in the actual work force. That's not at home.

I am hopeful that we'll see a few needed changes come the next GP involving generations. We really were given such a tiny snippet, it's hard to interpret what's in it.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Zagatta7 wrote: »
    picking fruits and gardening is something that Sims Kids could do. Let them plant at least 2 types of plants like beans and tomatoes. You may try to avoid independent kids, but this not need to be in big proportions.

I agree would really like it if kids could garden
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • DagmarHDagmarH Posts: 68 Member
    I would like to put them to work in sweatshops. Maybe this can be an expansion pack. :p
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I agree. I never understood why kids can't garden. I had a garden as a kid. Parents might have to spray for bugs, but kids should be able to do the rest.
    I figured it was because of Child Labor Laws.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »

When they allow children to garden, they could limit the number of plants they could tend, limit how long they could garden and limit it to non-school hours.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Goth583 wrote: »

Since 1938, federal labor laws have excluded child farm workers from labor protections provided to other working children. For instance, unlike other occupations, children over the age of 12 can legally work in agriculture with their parent's permission or with their parents on the same farm.

http://nfwm.org/education-center/farm-worker-issues/children-in-the-fields/

Nope! And how many suburbanites are selling their produce? Even if they were doing some back-to-the-roots urban farming, child labor laws won't stop them.

Also, there is no age requirement for driving a tractor:
    http://y94.com/blogs/ask-a-trooper/944/ask-a-trooper-discusses-age-requirements-for-driving-farm-equipment/
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited April 2017
    This is not just true for agriculture children 12 and over can work for their parents either in the home or in a family owned/run business so long as they're not operating heavy machinery or doing heavy manual labor (this is specifically to protect children under a certain age from working factory jobs which is why these laws were put in place in the first place) this is even easier for parents who run their businesses out of their homes or live above their business. I was curious after watching Bob's Burgers and wanted to check to see if what was happening on the show was legal and yes it actually is.

Also child labor laws don't really apply to jobs in the entertainment industries other then to regulate the number of hours a child can work/specify which hours a child can work/and state that a child must also be getting schooling while working.

None of this would actually apply to a hobby farm anyway which is what most sim gardens would be considered anyway.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Apparently people on this forum can't take a joke.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • GoodywoodGoodywood Posts: 4,614 Member
    Probably because they don't want to make the animations for it? I never understood this in TS3.
    PLEASE FIX TEENS IN TS4! I NEED YOUNGER TEENS NOT YA TEENS! (^_^)Please add Music Bands with lead singers! Please add vehicles and garages! Vehicles have always been part of The Sims.
  • BlueR0seBlueR0se Posts: 1,595 Member
    Cooking I imagine is not a thing simply because majority recipes involve a stove, which is generally pretty dangerous for kids (supervised irl obviously it would be fine, but again sim world). Not sure regarding gardening. But they definitely need to be able to clean/do chores.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Because what if they eat those fruits? We don't want them to get healthy and age up as non-chubby teens.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    BlueR0se wrote: »
    Cooking I imagine is not a thing simply because majority recipes involve a stove, which is generally pretty dangerous for kids (supervised irl obviously it would be fine, but again sim world). Not sure regarding gardening. But they definitely need to be able to clean/do chores.

sim kids could still make peanut a jam jelly sandwiches, even make a family salad, and progress in preparing a cake even if the adult actually puts the cake in the oven and takes it out again. But sandwiches and salads why not? everything the highchair offers should be available in the fridge without the highchair, and available for kids to do on there own or for toddler siblings.