Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims who just aren't meant to be together?

Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
I decided that my sim king would be in an arranged marriage and look for love elsewhere, so when I first made the household, I used cheats to change his relationship with his wife to friendship only, whilst remaining married. I then played other families in the town for a couple of days and began building a friendship with Bella Goth with the intention that they would have an affair. Later on, I started playing another household featuring a single mother, who had developed a friendship with the king while I was busy playing yet another family. But no matter what I do, the king and the single mother retain high friendship but the romance bar remains stubbornly low no matter which one of them I play. They refuse dates with one another and get embarrassed when one makes a romantic overture towards the other. I even tried putting them in a club with a flirty vibe but that doesn't work either, Seems like even Sims recognise a class divide...I didn't see that coming!

Does this happen to anyone else, despite your best efforts?
Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    yes some sims just don't like each other
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    It's so frustrating. The king's having no luck with Bella, either. :( He doesn't even have the unflirty trait, which makes it especially weird. And I didn't really want to give him a mistress by cheating.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited April 2017
    here's an idea get your king knocked up by abduction I've noticed
    strange things when that happens like my unflirty sim wanted nothing to do with a girl
    but when he got knock up he wanted to kiss her and get married and other things
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    Hmm. I don't want aliens in this particular save gave, but thanks for the suggestion. He has also just struck out with Eliza Pancakes, but to be fair, his friendship bar was much lower with her, Yet she seemed into him for the first 5 minutes.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,850 Member
    reminds me of Akira the premade from CL he doesn't like a lot of sims but I've gotten him happily married to two different ladies some sims are easier than others. Sometimes it's amusing seeing them a bit picky almost. Perhaps he needs a new target.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
    I just made a new club called "Mistress Hunting" and added the females he had the most friendship with, excluding the single mum because I'm bored of trying to get them together.
  • dreamprisonerdreamprisoner Posts: 1,221 Member
    edited April 2017
    A sim I kidnapped was impossible to seduce, I gruellingly had to build his friendship level all the way to 100 before he even accepted minor romancing. (But then he was kidnapped, so good for him) He's divorced now though, so I suppose the game knew best.

Other than that, I've had a few stale relationships in my game. I think some sims are just better off friends.
    Hmm I didn't know the game had any kind of attraction system at all, I assumed I could get any sim together I wanted because I rarely have issues. Ah well, at least it's a challenge, and realistic. Shame though, when taking a mistress and having an illegitimate child was the main thing I wanted to do with this guy.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    I had this happen to me a few days ago. I was trying to find a partner for my sim and FOUR other sims acted that way towards him. They would allow having high friendship but any time I would try to get romantic it just wouldn't work. Its so strange since ts4 (as far as we can see) doesn't have any sort of attraction system and the traits of the sims I was trying for didn't even seem to be in conflict with his.

I mean, i definitely don't dislike certain sims liking or disliking other sims more or less, but it would be nice if it was a system the player was privy to so we knew what to look for and how to set up a successful or unsuccessful relationship.
  • B_E2009B_E2009 Posts: 131 Member
    Did you try to add the woohoo social to the club? That normally works, especially with a flirty vibe. The only sim I had a massive problem with was Mortimer Goth and my 100 baby challenge momma. He woohood with her in the end but it took me ages.
  • bionicdessertsbionicdesserts Posts: 320 Member
    I've also had the same issues with hooking sims up. Like with you they were constantly rejecting one another no matter what side I played from. The process of trying to get them together went on for multiple sim days before I gave up, while on the other hand last night I hooked two sims up and it was so easy peasy that I wanted to cry. In two or three sims hours they went from complete strangers to the option for proposal showing up in their menus. I think maybe it has something to do with traits but if a sim isn't noncommittal or unflirty then why should they effect which couples sail and which ones that don't? I do like that there are certain couple's who are not meant to happen but it's also frustrating because there is no method to the madness. Why are these sims rejecting each other? If there is an attraction system in the game how does it work?
    I haven't yet as I thought you needed some kind of romantic relationship first and more thsn the barest sliver.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    I've noticed this sometimes with certain sims too. I think some sims just aren't as compatible as others.

You can however force the connection if you're patient. Since they already have a high friendship that'll help. Invite the sim over and prompt a friendly conversation, once it says pleasant in the conversation bar, start having your sim tell jokes and funny stories. Once your sim is in playful mood use the interaction, flirtatious joke. The other sim never rejects this so no worries about derailing the progress with an embarrassed moodlet, but you'll still want to slowly warm up to being more flirty.

I go, friendly interaction, followed by a funny one and then a romance one, and rinse and repeat. However be careful what you choose at first with romance. They'll often reject things like confess attraction or anything too strong. Risqué question, flirt, and compliment appearance work best. Once the convo turns to steamy you can go full course ahead with the affair.

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Could be you're just getting unlucky with the Romance interactions you're trying. Early on, I figured out there's a (mostly) foolproof way to move the Romance bar. The scheme goes something like as follows (and you don't need to enter into a conversation first, but it might help to get in a pleasant conversation before you start flirting):

Flirt > Friendly interaction > Flirt > Friendly interaction > Flirt

And basically use pausing to ensure that one sim dominates the conversation. This is if you're only controlling one of the sims. If you're controlling both, you can try having both use Flirt/Friendly and go back a forth on it a bit, so both are showing interest.

Flirt has the absolute lowest chance of failure, as far as I can tell from observation, and friendly interactions nearly always succeed, unless you're doing too many of the same kind in a row (in which case the convo can turn "boring").

Once you get the Romance bar high enough to do First Kiss and successfully get through that, you're usually home-free at that point and can start mixing in other Romance interactions with a better success rate.

Also, be wary of Romance interactions like Reveal Crush (I don't think I've ever gotten it to work without a negative reaction) and though I haven't tried it more recently, Ask Risque Question has usually ended in failure for me in the past.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    Exchanging numbers works good early on to if you have built up a little attraction first by flirting.
  • klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2017
    This is one thing I really love about TS4. For a while, I used to pretty frequently delete save files and start over if I wanted a change of pace or if something didn't feel right about it. In doing so, I was pretty amazed to see that sims who were once "Soulmates" in one save can absolutely loathe each other in another. No save file is ever exactly the same, and the same premades and sims you've created yourself can act very differently and may come to hate, befriend, and love sims they didn't in a different game. I've only ever stumbled across one pair of sims who always, without fault, fall in love and treat each other as if they truly are "Soulmates" as the game deems them. It literally doesn't matter how many times I've deleted a save and started them over from scratch (and I've done that about four times now), they gravitate towards each other from the moment the game begins, have never turned down a romantic social, and as many times as that sketchy guru at the romance festival has given my other sims negative readings, these two specific sims are always given the same "a match made to last the ages" reading. I find it really, really awesome considering the fact that each save file produces different results and my other sims almost never have the same partner they had in an old save because they didn't click in a new save.

For your sims, you could keep trying, but I recommend giving them a few days apart to cool down and to let the relationship decay a bit. In my experience with sims who are difficult to pair off, letting them take some time apart and allowing the meters to taper down seems to reset them in a way. I once tried to get a premade into a relationship with one of my sims and he was very aloof; while he'd accept romantic socials, there wasn't a steady stream of romantic socials coming from both sims. I sent my sim home and played her for about a sim week and ignored his calls, even if he asked her out on dates. Their relationship noticeably fizzled out, but the next time I got them together, the sparks flew and he was anything but aloof. Also, never use the "confess attraction" social. I don't even use it on the sims who have very high friendship and romance meters; it's way too risky to pull that on almost any sim and it usually doesn't end well. I'm pretty wary of the "risque question" one too. I've had sims with maxed out meters reject that one so it seems to be a bit of a hit or miss. I always alternate between friendly and light romantic socials (i.e. "flirt", "compliment appearance"), and as the conversation context reaches more romantic levels (i.e. "suggestive", "amorous", "steamy", etc.), you can start pulling out the more forward socials like pick-up lines and embraces. My general rule of thumb is to get sims at 60-75% full friendship bar before starting in with the flirting because it succeeds way more frequently, you just have to hope they don't end up friend-zoning each other with the "just friends" label. :wink: Some sims just seem to want deeper friendships with their romantic partners than others, so building the friendship up before getting flirty may just do the trick. If none of this works, then they may just not be very compatible, unfortunately.

If you want a mistress for your king, try sending him to the romance festival. From what I've seen, those sims are all looking for some action, married or not. :lol: I've had a sim who only had the tiniest little sliver of green (not one ounce of romance) accept an embrace from Victor Feng at the festival. There's something crazy in that tea! :wink:
  • Livin in SimLivin in Sim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Your Sim is probably pretty high in Charisma if he's been out and about. But if not, that is also a factor. He could Practice Speech in the mirror to increase it. He could also Psyche Self Up in the mirror before the interactions, and I think they get Confident after that. I think there are some Confident Romance interactions that work pretty well, too. Freshening Up makes them Flirty.

Another thing that speeds things along is some of the lot traits. I forget which ones come without City Living, but if you have them, you can use Flirty Vibe and Convivial on venues that you take dates to. I've noticed a big difference with those in particular.
  • simm621simm621 Posts: 1,037 Member
    edited April 2017
    I've found married sims to always take longer to flirt with or be successful at flirting with sims that are not their spouse. It's almost like they want to stay faithful, or the object of their extra marital urges knows only too well how that would end ;P
    Maybe it has something to do with the soulmate status?

I'd check also to see if they are 'just friends'. I've had a couple of sims get flirty, they would be getting along well for a while but then one got stroppy with the other, maybe had enough and that instantly put them into being 'just friends'. They would still flirt with one another, I could get them into suggestive conversation but the moment I tried them with anything physical, even an embrace and they would throw a fit.

Gallery ID: wiccanwonder
  • kaylaholidaykaylaholiday Posts: 224 Member
    I've definitely seen this in my game. With some sims, I could send them out, have them meet someone, and be married by the end of the night if I wanted to. With others, it seems like they have to slog through rejection after rejection in order to find someone.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited April 2017
    klestrella wrote: »
    This is one thing I really love about TS4. For a while, I used to pretty frequently delete save files and start over if I wanted a change of pace or if something didn't feel right about it. In doing so, I was pretty amazed to see that sims who were once "Soulmates" in one save can absolutely loathe each other in another. No save file is ever exactly the same, and the same premades and sims you've created yourself can act very differently and may come to hate, befriend, and love sims they didn't in a different game. I've only ever stumbled across one pair of sims who always, without fault, fall in love and treat each other as if they truly are "Soulmates" as the game deems them. It literally doesn't matter how many times I've deleted a save and started them over from scratch (and I've done that about four times now), they gravitate towards each other from the moment the game begins, have never turned down a romantic social, and as many times as that sketchy guru at the romance festival has given my other sims negative readings, these two specific sims are always given the same "a match made to last the ages" reading. I find it really, really awesome considering the fact that each save file produces different results and my other sims almost never have the same partner they had in an old save because they didn't click in a new save.

who are these two sims that always go together????
    This is very insightful, I start new games very often and I had an idea this was so. no two games are the same for relationships.
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I've noticed this sometimes with certain sims too. I think some sims just aren't as compatible as others.
    However be careful what you choose at first with romance. They'll often reject things like confess attraction or anything too strong. Risqué question, flirt, and compliment appearance work best. Once the convo turns to steamy you can go full course ahead with the affair.

Interesting. I didn't know confess attraction was a riskier move than risque question.
    edited April 2017
    Good news - I built the basic lot for my king's romance club - I made it a retail lot so he can use it as a 2nd home. I set it as the Mistress Hunting club hangout, added lots of romance boosting lighting, added a club flirty vibe and he ended up woohooing with Bella Goth in the sauna. They then tried for a baby in the closet. I'll still want him to reach the level where he can ask either Bella or another lady to be his girlfriend, but it's a great start.
  • calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    I can't be bothered with relationships; they take too much effort to build up the bars...unless you have a foosball table.
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    edited April 2017
    Just FYI, it might be challenging to get Bella to have an affair without using cheats. She has the family-oriented trait and that may have to do with it.
    Post edited by Missmagoo2 on
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/
  • klestrellaklestrella Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2017
    who are these two sims that always go together????
    This is very insightful, I start new games very often and I had an idea this was so. no two games are the same for relationships.
    The two sims I was referring to are a sim I created and Max Villareal from Windenburg. I obviously don't know for sure if they'd get along together as well in other players' games, but as I said originally, they're the only two sims I've managed to get together multiple times over different save files and have never had issues getting them to fall in love. I was pretty shocked since I had avoided Max like the plague prior to it, but no matter how many times I'd generate a new save, he and my sim always met each other as children, maxed the friendship bar effortlessly, then dated as teens and married as YAs, all with very minimal to no negative interactions coming through from Max and his Evil trait. They're the only childhood sweethearts I've played, so maybe it all has to do with building sims' relationships to be very strong early on in their lives and then allowing the romance to develop later on? Whatever the case, they're one of the main reasons I've come to the conclusion that some sims are meant to be while others just aren't. :smile: