Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'd be happy if they quit making expansion packs altogether IF...

Comments

• JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I think all versions were/are complex to develop, just in different ways. In Sims 3 it was the open world, in Sims 4 it's the multitasking. I rather think the fact they had two EP teams for Sims 3 (don't know about Sims 2) is a major factor. I think it's a choice and based on what they made that choice we can only guess.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I completely disagree. And using TS4's trashy expansions to justify such idea is utter plum.

Truth is GP's don't make for better more detailed stuff, they allow EA to get more cash and that's all. Open for Business had better Retail and better Dine Out than Dine Out GP and GTW EP. It also included a lifestate multiple hidden skills or badges and objects. So...it's just no excuse.

and I really gtw its my favorite ep
    and I like dineout and the sims 2 ob was 80 bucks

$80? What country? Or is that the premium price for classics now? I bought it on release day and it was $30. Different countries, I guess.

It had far more available than GTW offered. It had a full world that was fully customizable and the business options were practically endless compared to both 3 & 4.

It's an older game by now. For sure. There's that lack of appeal and that's understandable. I suppose you could pick that part of it apart. But $80? Boy am I glad I bought when I did and live where I live.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • LoveMeHateMeLoveMeHateMe Posts: 40 Member
    I feel like GPs just have more detail and value than both EPs and SPs. EPs are always like "I'll buy it because I need some new content and I hope it adds...something." And SPs are like "oooh shiny". I'm rambling, but if EPs weren't such a wide net of gameplay I think they'd be better.
    So Dine Out was $20 and OFB $30. I'm not sure what exactly was in OFB (having the UC), but I bet it was more than 1/3 more.
    I feel like GPs just have more detail and value than both EPs and SPs. EPs are always like "I'll buy it because I need some new content and I hope it adds...something." And SPs are like "oooh shiny". I'm rambling, but if EPs weren't such a wide net of gameplay I think they'd be better.
    ? Please elaborate?
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    So Dine Out was $20 and OFB $30. I'm not sure what exactly was in OFB (having the UC), but I bet it was more than 1/3 more.

I don't remember everything it came with. Pretty sure there's a detailed wiki out there though. Off the top of my head. You could run any business, including restaurants. You could be any role in a restaurant and hire family memebers. However, restaurants came in a previous EP. They were already in the game and you could only run one if you had that EP. OFB mostly just opened up posibilites.
  • Sp1k3_Th3_B1g_B4dSp1k3_Th3_B1g_B4d Posts: 12 New Member
    Since the game doesn't have an open world, they should have tried to made things that were actually compatible with a closed world game.
    kremesch73 wrote: »

I don't remember everything it came with. Pretty sure there's a detailed wiki out there though. Off the top of my head. You could run any business, including restaurants. You could be any role in a restaurant and hire family memebers. However, restaurants came in a previous EP. They were already in the game and you could only run one if you had that EP. OFB mostly just opened up posibilites.
    Yes, you're right ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I think that EPs should be increased in price so that a larger team can be put to work developing them and thereby achieve a more fleshed out and in depth product. However, I think the resistance to any sort of price increase AT ALL in the Sims product is so great that Maxis is left without that option. EPs cost the same as they did ten years ago- consequently the content has declined to keep the profit margins on the product viable- imo. Personally I wouldn't mind paying sixty or even seventy dollars once a year for a really great EP but I think I'm in the minority on that.

It was only a few years ago with Sims 3 that they were pushing out better made expansions every 6 months. I refuse to pay extra because they chose to downsize the Maxis branch, which has been a result of their poorly received games, again, their fault.

What EA/Maxis does not seem to understand is that if they spend more to make a great, interesting, and complex game, they will have great profits. It's how Overwatch made ONE BILLION dollars last year -- it took an existing genre, and it completely innovated within it using its own concepts and gameplay full of depth.

You don't get success from downsizing, hiring mobile gaming developers to create complex PC games, charging premium price for the game, and then half-baking each and every DLC post-release.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited May 2017
    Can you believe there are still people who don't realise that the GPs and EPs are made by different people?

"I don't want EPs - I just want my GPs to be the size of EPs and still come out at the same rate and price as GPs!"

And yes, EA are being tight-fisted jerks. It'll backfire sooner or later.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    Loanet wrote: »
    Can you believe there are still people who don't realise that the GPs and EPs are made by different people?

"I don't want EPs - I just want my GPs to be the size of EPs and still come out at the same rate and price as GPs!"

Why does that matter? They are made by one company.
    5JZ57S6.png

Yes, but by different teams. EA has three teams - one works on Stuff, one on GPs, one on EPs.

Now I get what you're saying - our Game Packs have been of late much better than our EPs. But that currently means that the team working on GP is doing a better job. Everybody wants something for nothing but you're not gonna get it. EA are greedy jerks but as a corporation that's what they're MEANT to be. It's like saying "I want Disney to not only make better movies but distribute them to me for free."
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
    edited May 2017

Yes, but by different teams. EA has three teams - one works on Stuff, one on GPs, one on EPs.

Now I get what you're saying - our Game Packs have been of late much better than our EPs. But that currently means that the team working on GP is doing a better job. Everybody wants something for nothing but you're not gonna get it. EA are greedy jerks but as a corporation that's what they're MEANT to be. It's like saying "I want Disney to not only make better movies but distribute them to me for free."

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. I understand the words. I just don't understand what you mean by it.

Most of us know (not believe) that EPs, sps, and the modern GPs are made by different teams. Some of us even know store items for 3 were made by a third party (shocker!).

The topic is stating that the OP would be happy if GPs were given priority over EPs.

Not really sure who you're defending or insulting. I guess is what I'm trying to say.

Are you telling the Op that the packs are made by different teams and not to fret over it? Or are you telling those who've opposed the op not to fret because different teams and all?
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

As I remember it they told us that GPs would be more about gameplay and have a less broad focus than EPs. They also cost only half as much as EPs and therefore likely also have much smaller budgets. So I don't think that it is about the skills of the teams at all but instead about the tastes of the simmers. Some like GPs because they are what they are while others like the EPs because they are more broad and have more stuff and other things.

I don't buy the expansions anymore. But it seems to me that many simmers don't like the TS4 EPs because they are broad but thin compared to earlier EPs. I think they have smaller budgets that the Sims 3 EPs had and maybe more stuff instead of gameplay. But some simmers seem to like the GPs more because even though they have a smaller focus and less content they aren't so thin when it comes to gameplay.
    edited May 2017

But I think it doesn't have anything to do with the quality of the seperate (indeed) teams, I think the outcome, the quality, is a direct result of what EA instructs those teams to do. I don't want anything for nothing by the way, my history with Sims 3 proves that and my wallet can testify ;) I'm in fact more than willing to pay for this game. I have to really want it first though.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    I do still want EP's but GP's this time around are really good and hit a sweet spot more often because of the focus.. at least for me.

To me the EP's fill out the game a bit more, in a looser but still mostly attached way. They make the game broader as time goes on. GP's are focused and can be considered niche (vamps for instance).

I don't think GTW could have been divided into smaller packs at least not early on in the games lifespan run when people were hungry for more content. In GTW the scientist career, aliens and Sixam are linked. Unless they were completely redone they couldn't have been separated easily. Then of course the careers.. scientist, doctor and detective are linked in that they run the same way.. and I doubt early on in this games run simmers would be happy with buying one career or even a few per GP when other things were expected to fill out the game.
    I do think they should have separated retail though. Although people wanting retail in the game would have felt left out if it hadn't been addressed early on because of the way they've done things in the past.

Aliens do seem to be lacking now when compared to Vampires for me, but not sure they would have done it any different as that would have taken much more time. I think Ghosts were rushed out as an appeasement early on and although I love them when compared to the fullness of a GP they could have had more to them or linked to them anyway. Since Ghosts were added in "free" though I'm hoping they can be added on to with some pack in the future or at the very least be intertwined with whatever else is released.
    egTcBMc.png
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    Think they should just expand a little bit more on aliens honestly. Doesn't have to be the complete extend of vampires, but more fleshed out life states is always welcomed. Though i'd like more fleshed out lifestates with the regular sims foremost too. Hope the family game pack does that.'

I've enjoyed the EP's thus far. Think the only one I felt was lacking some was City Living. GTW felt a lot better in terms of active careers compared to ambitions, but it's usually the same busy work with tasks. I would have liked if I could do a bit more 'off duty' stuff when from the job as well as launching personal investigations with Sims. Would have really liked that. The retail aspect has improved a lot since OFB.

It's just the lack of not being able to fix shifts or send an individual Sim home while telling another sim to come in and cover their shift is all I really wanted from it.

Think the GP'S AND EP'S are fine as they are. Can't imagine having careers (active) split into GP packs individually.
    5vJrxmT.png
    LadyKyn wrote: »
    Think they should just expand a little bit more on aliens honestly. Doesn't have to be the complete extend of vampires, but more fleshed out life states is always welcomed. Though i'd like more fleshed out lifestates with the regular sims foremost too. Hope the family game pack does that.'

I've enjoyed the EP's thus far. Think the only one I felt was lacking some was City Living. GTW felt a lot better in terms of active careers compared to ambitions, but it's usually the same busy work with tasks. I would have liked if I could do a bit more 'off duty' stuff when from the job as well as launching personal investigations with Sims. Would have really liked that. The retail aspect has improved a lot since OFB.

It's just the lack of not being able to fix shifts or send an individual Sim home while telling another sim to come in and cover their shift is all I really wanted from it.

Think the GP'S AND EP'S are fine as they are. Can't imagine having careers (active) split into GP packs individually.
    GTW compared to Ambitions isn't better. The only difference is that sims are inside a building working their way through checklists now. All you do is sending your sim from animation to animation.

Also, I never played OFB but read a lot of opinions about that package, and I'm surprised you consider retail has improved a lot since that EP. I constantly read quite the opposite.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LadyKynLadyKyn Posts: 3,594 Member
    GTW compared to Ambitions isn't better. The only difference is that sims are inside a building working their way through checklists now. All you do is sending your sim from animation to animation.

Also, I never played OFB but read a lot of opinions about that package, and I'm surprised you consider retail has improved a lot since that EP. I constantly read quite the opposite.

That's just in my opinion that I think it's better. Either or if you think it's similar or not so much to Ambitions. That's just on my end.

I use to play a lot of the OFB. Really been wanting the return of the retail aspect for a long time. Sims 2 certainly had a lot of creative freedom in OFB, but I feel like they improved on more aspects from OFB.

Thing is the cash register is more so just decoration when you're on the active lot since sims just whip out their handy dandy tablet. When you're not on the active lot you see your employee manning it. I like the fact that they go to it to punch in for work.

Only thing is in GTW you can't really set individual items prices over mark up price like OFB. Which is fine to me less you just want that one expensive item in your store. The register with sims 2 always was time consuming when you hire a sim and have you train them better since usually my customers got frustrated with waiting when they bought something and just left the bags on the floor. Swear it takes over one sim hour or so to even make a complete sale until they get better. Not to mention the majority of the time seems like I could barely influences sims a little to buy stuff half the time since they just like to window shop and get peeved when you bother them. >_<

The perks are really helpful and I like the customization for the mannequins. It feels less chaotic compared to OFB. Though GTW still won't outshine OFB, but I felt like it did it a lot of justice for sure in the retail part. I guess it just varies from person to person. Considering restaurants were MIA from GTW until dine out came.
    5vJrxmT.png
    edited May 2017

That's just in my opinion that I think it's better. Either or if you think it's similar or not so much to Ambitions. That's just on my end.

I use to play a lot of the OFB. Really been wanting the return of the retail aspect for a long time. Sims 2 certainly had a lot of creative freedom in OFB, but I feel like they improved on more aspects from OFB.

Thing is the cash register is more so just decoration when you're on the active lot since sims just whip out their handy dandy tablet. When you're not on the active lot you see your employee manning it. I like the fact that they go to it to punch in for work.

Only thing is in GTW you can't really set individual items prices over mark up price like OFB. Which is fine to me less you just want that one expensive item in your store. The register with sims 2 always was time consuming when you hire a sim and have you train them better since usually my customers got frustrated with waiting when they bought something and just left the bags on the floor. Swear it takes over one sim hour or so to even make a complete sale until they get better. Not to mention the majority of the time seems like I could barely influences sims a little to buy stuff half the time since they just like to window shop and get peeved when you bother them. >_<

The perks are really helpful and I like the customization for the mannequins. It feels less chaotic compared to OFB. Though GTW still won't outshine OFB, but I felt like it did it a lot of justice for sure in the retail part. I guess it just varies from person to person. Considering restaurants were MIA from GTW until dine out came.
    Sure it's your opinion, we're all exchanging opinions here, but it just made me curious as to why you find those features a lot better. I'm not enthousiastic about every career in Ambitions by the way (and it's my least favourite TS3 EP because it's a lot of checklists and fakeness, like redecorating a house - sims don't really care what you do, you'll always get the same reaction based on the level your sim has reached, boring) but to me it feels as if they've handled GTW in the very same way. I see no real improvement myself. And to me the ghosthunter and the firefighter career are a lot more fun than the careers I played from GTW. It is all just running from animation to animation really. But indeed, it is personal.

(as for retail, that's not an aspect I'm very interested in myself so that one just struck me because people always cheer OFB as one of the highlights of this franchise ;))
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Cathound01Cathound01 Posts: 69 Member

Sure it's your opinion, we're all exchanging opinions here, but it just made me curious as to why you find those features a lot better. I'm not enthousiastic about every career in Ambitions by the way (and it's my least favourite TS3 EP because it's a lot of checklists and fakeness, like redecorating a house - sims don't really care what you do, you'll always get the same reaction based on the level your sim has reached, boring) but to me it feels as if they've handled GTW in the very same way. I see no real improvement myself. And to me the ghosthunter and the firefighter career are a lot more fun than the careers I played from GTW. It is all just running from animation to animation really. But indeed, it is personal.

(as for retail, that's not an aspect I'm very interested in myself so that one just struck me because people always cheer OFB as one of the highlights of this franchise ;))

There you go again. Browbeating posters because they've given a different opinion than your own. You do it under the guise of "trying to understand" but you're really just trying to invalidate their opinions. Give it up already.
    edited May 2017
    Cathound01 wrote: »

There you go again. Browbeating posters because they've given a different opinion than your own. You do it under the guise of "trying to understand" but you're really just trying to invalidate their opinions. Give it up already.
    No. There I go again putting my own opinion against another person's opinion. Sometimes it's just like a forum around here. People may attack my opinion whenever they don't agree, with arguments. I don't mind. In fact, I like that. That's why I'm here.

P.s.: Also I'm not trying to understand here do I? I don't understand it at all, GTW being a lot better than Ambitions, if anything it's worse. And I also don't understand retail in Sims 4 being better than in Sims 2. So if I gave the impression I did understand, something went terribly wrong in my phrasing.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > Cathound01 wrote: »
    >
    > JoAnne65 wrote: »
    >
    > LadyKyn wrote: »
    >
    > JoAnne65 wrote: »
    >
    > GTW compared to Ambitions isn't better. The only difference is that sims are inside a building working their way through checklists now. All you do is sending your sim from animation to animation.
    >
    > Also, I never played OFB but read a lot of opinions about that package, and I'm surprised you consider retail has improved a lot since that EP. I constantly read quite the opposite.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's just in my opinion that I think it's better. Either or if you think it's similar or not so much to Ambitions. That's just on my end.
    >
    > I use to play a lot of the OFB. Really been wanting the return of the retail aspect for a long time. Sims 2 certainly had a lot of creative freedom in OFB, but I feel like they improved on more aspects from OFB.
    >
    > Thing is the cash register is more so just decoration when you're on the active lot since sims just whip out their handy dandy tablet. When you're not on the active lot you see your employee manning it. I like the fact that they go to it to punch in for work.
    >
    > Only thing is in GTW you can't really set individual items prices over mark up price like OFB. Which is fine to me less you just want that one expensive item in your store. The register with sims 2 always was time consuming when you hire a sim and have you train them better since usually my customers got frustrated with waiting when they bought something and just left the bags on the floor. Swear it takes over one sim hour or so to even make a complete sale until they get better. Not to mention the majority of the time seems like I could barely influences sims a little to buy stuff half the time since they just like to window shop and get peeved when you bother them. >_<
    >
    > The perks are really helpful and I like the customization for the mannequins. It feels less chaotic compared to OFB. Though GTW still won't outshine OFB, but I felt like it did it a lot of justice for sure in the retail part. I guess it just varies from person to person. Considering restaurants were MIA from GTW until dine out came.
    >
    >
    >
    > Sure it's your opinion, we're all exchanging opinions here, but it just made me curious as to why you find those features a lot better. I'm not enthousiastic about every career in Ambitions by the way (and it's my least favourite TS3 EP because it's a lot of checklists and fakeness, like redecorating a house - sims don't really care what you do, you'll always get the same reaction based on the level your sim has reached, boring) but to me it feels as if they've handled GTW in the very same way. I see no real improvement myself. And to me the ghosthunter and the firefighter career are a lot more fun than the careers I played from GTW. It is all just running from animation to animation really. But indeed, it is personal.
    >
    > (as for retail, that's not an aspect I'm very interested in myself so that one just struck me because people always cheer OFB as one of the highlights of this franchise ;))
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > There you go again. Browbeating posters because they've given a different opinion than your own. You do it under the guise of "trying to understand" but you're really just trying to invalidate their opinions. Give it up already.
    >
    >
    >
    > No. There I go again putting my own opinion against another person's opinion. Sometimes it's just like a forum around here. People may attack my opinion whenever they don't agree, with arguments. I don't mind. In fact, I like that. That's why I'm here.
    >
    > P.s.: Also I'm not trying to understand here do I? I don't understand it at all, GTW being a lot better than Ambitions, if anything it's worse. And I also don't understand retail in Sims 4 being better than in Sims 2. So if I gave the impression I did understand, something went terribly wrong in my phrasing.

Just ignore them. I have had the same issues with them as well. You are entitled to your own opinion as much as anyone else :)
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited May 2017
    Whenever somebody says something like "I am entitled to my opinion" it makes me want to punch them. Not automatically because of their opinion, but because they have no idea about what an opinion is.

For example, were I to say that it was my opinion that all people who wear hats should be put in slave camps and worked to death, does the fact that I call it an opinion make it equally as valid as your opinion that they shouldn't? Or we could debate the existance of God. An opinion that he does exist versus an opinion that he doesn't. Will you ever class that differing opinion as equally valid to yours?

That's an opinion. A fact to you, but debatable to others. In other words, you don't have opinions, you believe facts (regardless of whether you call them an opinion or not) and everybody else who thinks differently just has an opinion. Anyway, it's more important to respect people than it is to respect opinions.
    Whenever somebody says something like "I am entitled to my opinion" it makes me want to punch them. Not automatically because of their opinion, but because they have no idea about what an opinion is.

For example, were I to say that it was my opinion that all people who wear hats should be put in slave camps and worked to death, does the fact that I call it an opinion make it equally as valid as your opinion that they shouldn't? Or we could debate the existance of God. An opinion that he does exist versus an opinion that he doesn't. Will you ever class that differing opinion as equally valid to yours?

That's an opinion. A fact to you, but debatable to others. In other words, you don't have opinions, you believe facts (regardless of whether you call them an opinion or not) and everybody else who thinks differently just has an opinion. Anyway, it's more important to respect people than it is to respect opinions.
    Not sure if I understand you correctly, but I think it's perfectly alright as such when people say they are entitled to their opinion. Quite often they are, especially on a forum of something so innocent as a game. It's just that when you express that opinion, you must be prepared others may disagree and express that. A forum isn't a collection of opinions that are left alone doing nothing. When you express one, it will be questioned and agreed with. I'll never understand the problem with that. "Well it's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" is in no way denied when someone else expresses a different opinion.
    (completely agree with you last line)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

The right to have an opinion doesn't mean that all opinions are equally valid because of course they aren't. But you are still allowed to have your opinion even if everybody else should disagree with you.

The only opinions that shouldn't be allowed are opinions that mean a serious threat to other people. Therefore you can't express opinions about other people deserving to die because of their race, religion, nationality or something like that.