Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I can't have pets any more :/

This is a recent and very annoying issue I'm having with my game.

I was playing Sims 3 last week and everything was fine. Played the next day, and now games with pets make my game crash. Everything is up to date and I didn't download anything new for my game, but Thursday I could play a game with a pet dog & then Friday I couldn't because my game kept crashing.
Renamed my folder and created a new Sims 3 folder, played a game with a pet dog....crashed *eyetwitch*

Does anyone have any suggestions, apart from just uninstalling and reinstalling?
tumblr_nvbyvezH0b1uvyu9yo8_r1_400.gif

Comments

• james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Was there any error codes?
  • KARRKITTKARRKITT Posts: 261 Member
    As james said, but also I have to ask if it's possible the game/computer may be shared? In which case a family member could have installed an exchange dog or something.

I'd try moving out the folders: Mods (if there's one), SavedSims, and Saves and then moving/deleting the .package files that have "cache" in the name. Try a clean (fresh) game?
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2017
    If the OP has renamed or pulled their TS3 game folder out and not put anything back in from the old one, then they won't have any content, mods, saved anything in the current one and they would have to be playing a fresh game already.

@KoumoriDiru - Can we get a sense of the hardware you are playing on? Some specs would help. Or find the file called DeviceConfig.log in your TS3 game folder in Documents (the new one or the older renamed one, doesn't matter), open it in a text editor like Notepad, and copy/paste the first 40 lines or so into a reply here. You can stop when you get to the long list of game options.

Or, if you prefer, you could provide a full dxdiag report.
    https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information

Or tell us if you are playing the Mac version of the game, as that would require a different conversation.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KoumoriDiruKoumoriDiru Posts: 6,681 Member
    I was literally playing a family with a dog one day and the game worked fine. Tried it the next day, instant crash. All I get is "The Sims 3 has stopped working"

I tried making a family with a dog, as soon as I move the family in the game crashes. If I adopt a pet, the game crashes. I thought it was just the dogs making an issue, but it does it with cats too so it's definitely a Pets EP issue. There's no corrupt files or anything showing up in my logs either.

I made a brand new folder for my Sims 3 games and I still get the issue.

I have no idea why it was working perfectly fine one day but the next day I'm getting issues. It's been working perfectly fine for years up until last Friday.
    edited April 2017
    Clearly something changed or shifted around and it may not have been with the game directly. Hence my questions about your hardware. It's possible that a Windows or graphics driver update did or undid something with your setup that was making the EP work better up until now. You've done the right thing to try to clean folder test first. But as that was not a solution in itself this time, we can't advise what to do or rule any of this hardware and driver stuff out and focus on other things if you are not going to provide us with more information (sorry). Please if you could provide a full dxdiag report as requested above, if you are on Windows (as opposed to Mac).

From what you have described, I am suspecting drivers needing updating, having received a "bad" update that should be rolled back, or fps limiting somehow becoming undone by another kind of update. Another possibility is that one of your computer's components is beginning to fail from age. But we can't proceed to address any of this while flying blind.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Nevermind, I've got it sorted out.
    edited April 2017
    Nevermind, I've got it sorted out.
    Hey, that's great! So, for the benefit of others perhaps, what was causing the problem? It sounded pretty serious, maybe more so than it really was. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited April 2017
    I have no idea what was causing the problem
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    So how's your game now? If the problems stays, uninstall the expansion. I heard in some computer it gives a lot of problems. In mine that's fine. I share your pain I can't play ts3 anymore without pets ep.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
    Sorry for the incredibly late reply!

My game works fine now :) I went through every thing and discovered it the Graham's Pet Store you can download from the store that was causing my issues.

So if anyone else is having any problems and they have that store lot, that could be causing it.