Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We need cemeteries... this is ridiculous.

LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
edited April 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
We seriously need cemeteries in The Sims 4... I'm really sick and tired of never being able to find a Sim's gravestone/urn when they end up dying while being unplayed. It's not realistic at all. I miss in Sims 3 how all you needed to do was go to the mausoleum and choose their grave. In The Sims 4, if you're not currently playing a certain Sim who ends up dying, they basically vanish from existence and never to be seen again (except for, of course, when you go to dance clubs or whatever and their ghost is partying... which is also something I wish would be gone).

I really wish we could have cemeteries in this game... :| It would make things a lot less frustrating. Anyone agree?
Favorite Packs
Sims 1: Hot Date
Sims 2: Seasons
Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
Sims 3: Seasons
Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
Sims 4: Seasons
Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg

Comments

• themightyduck12themightyduck12 Posts: 25 Member
    I definitely agree.

I'd also like to have their graves out so that my sims can mourn or whatever, but having a ghost visit every night is getting boring; I've ended up just putting the majority of tomb stones into the family inventory, which I don't like doing at all.
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    You would have thought from the one pack that cemeteries should have came with it would have been "The Sims 4: Vampires" nope. Common sense was not there for that one. Maybe we can get The Sims 4: Rest In Peace stuff pack where we can gain cemetery gameplay! Since it's known we are going to be stuffed endlessly with these packs The Sims 4: Rest In Peace seems like an appropriate stuff pack to have cemeteries make an official return to the series!
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member
    You would have thought from the one pack that cemeteries should have came with it would have been "The Sims 4: Vampires" nope. Common sense was not there for that one. Maybe we can get The Sims 4: Rest In Peace stuff pack where we can gain cemetery gameplay! Since it's known we are going to be stuffed endlessly with these packs The Sims 4: Rest In Peace seems like an appropriate stuff pack to have cemeteries make an official return to the series!

I would much prefer cemeteries to be patched in, however... but you're probably correct. Knowing EA and Maxis, they most likely won't give us them for free (if at all).
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    After reading your post I understand better people wanting cemeteries. I truly thought it would be ok just to use any community lot as a cemetery: move your urns there and visit the graves when you feel like it. That's how I did it in TS2. I never much played TS3 so I had no idea how it worked what the benefits were. I still wonder what would the sim behaviour coding be like for cemeteries (they could mourn and what else?) and also will the TS3 style work in TS4. What I'm imagining here is cemeteries that get overcrowded the longer you play... or would it only collect urns from played households? or sims that are housed? How many urns can you fit there?
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    It's likely that cemeteries weren't brought back for the same reason they have given us for not bringing back the bowling alley. The space in which to place lots in the game is too limited. And Simmers are complaining about how fast their worlds are filling up with venues and other places in their game already. And to add these two places would make things even worse. I'm not against cemeteries in Sims 4, in fact I'm all for. But where are you going to put them when all the lots in your worlds already have something on them?
    After reading your post I understand better people wanting cemeteries. I truly thought it would be ok just to use any community lot as a cemetery: move your urns there and visit the graves when you feel like it. That's how I did it in TS2. I never much played TS3 so I had no idea how it worked what the benefits were. I still wonder what would the sim behaviour coding be like for cemeteries (they could mourn and what else?) and also will the TS3 style work in TS4. What I'm imagining here is cemeteries that get overcrowded the longer you play... or would it only collect urns from played households? or sims that are housed? How many urns can you fit there?

In Sims 2, I never really had much of an issue with tombstones, cemeteries, etc... but that's mostly because I was generally a one family player anyway. Very rarely would I play more than one household at a time (and since it didn't have any form of story progression at all, there wasn't much of an issue).

In Sims 3, however, the fact that it was open world and had story progression brought up the concept of non-played household Sims dying, but that was easily managed by the mausoleum feature. Basically, in the cemeteries, the mausoleum was a rabbit hole that contained all the dead Sims' urns and stuff. You could simply go there and select which ones you wanted, add them to your inventory, and then drop them into the cemetery (or even in your house, if you wanted their urn instead).

For me, I just want cemeteries in this game for realistic purposes and being able to keep track of Sims who have died in my worlds. I'm not picky and certainly don't necessarily expect too many features to come along with them. "Mourning" would be perfectly fine to have in terms of 'features' that they could give us in the game. As for the overcrowded part, that's probably true... and it would probably eventually cause lag as well. So I guess that's something to think about. But, at the same time, they'll be nothing more than a "list" until you actually physically take their gravestone/urn from the mausoleum. Also, I think a better way to keep this under control would be to only allow gravestones/urns from Sims who have actually been legitimately placed into the neighborhoods (which means the Sims that are "not currently in world" and are simply roaming around won't be included).
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • FallenPrinceFallenPrince Posts: 928 Member
    edited April 2017
    I agree.
    This problem is annoying and has been annoying for a while now. But since we have space issues, I'd suggest they patch in a new (edit:small) world with only 1 cemetery lot in it.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I did build my own cemetary on a small lot in Newcrest. I play my playable elders through death so that I get a grave/urn and have their families bury them so I don't face the dying off of lot problem myself, but I can see why it is annoyingly missing.

Even with building my own cemetary though, it is weird in the game because generic lots don't get normal foot traffic. I made my cemetary as a generic lot because I don't want to deal with bathrooms and a hot dog grill at my cemetary. It's a small lot and it's near a public park, a spa and some off-grid scenic picnic area. I don't need the kinds of features in that cemetary that you need in a public park. It's a quiet space for the dead and the grieving, no one goes there to grill hot dogs. Lol. There are some benches, flowers and a fountain. It would be nice to be able to attract more visitors without changing the character of the lot.

I'd welcome improved funeral events as well. I know that was on the list for SPs. Hopefully it will show up in some format. Currently, I use a relative sim's inventory to bring the deceased to the grave site for burial and mourning, but it isn't exactly a proper funeral. I do usually try to send the whole family. I guess I could experiment with inviting more sims to that.

Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    It's likely that cemeteries weren't brought back for the same reason they have given us for not bringing back the bowling alley. The space in which to place lots in the game is too limited. And Simmers are complaining about how fast their worlds are filling up with venues and other places in their game already. And to add these two places would make things even worse. I'm not against cemeteries in Sims 4, in fact I'm all for. But where are you going to put them when all the lots in your worlds already have something on them?

I would honestly gladly give up a lot for the sake of having a cemetery. But that's obviously just me... I can't speak for anyone else. I would most likely place it in Newcrest anyway (since that's usually where I like to have most of my community lots). Plus, when I currently play the game, I usually have a few lots leftover anyway. So it wouldn't be too much of a big deal... but I understand that others wouldn't, so I guess that would be an issue...

Or maybe they could give us another "small world" (like Magnolia Promenade) that will come with a patch that contains cemeteries... so we can all have a place to put them. Even if the new world only comes with 2 or 3 lots. I'm not even asking for too much. All I want are basic cemeteries that will allow us to have access to the urns/gravestones of Sims who have died in our worlds.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I too would love to have this aspect put back in the game. I feel so bad when someone my sim has known for either a long time or their whole life passes away, and there is no way I can get their tomb stone or urn. I usually don't deal with ghost normally, but there are those special sims that I would love to keep around for my sim's to morn, and to have memorials for.
    I did build my own cemetary on a small lot in Newcrest. I play my playable elders through death so that I get a grave/urn and have their families bury them so I don't face the dying off of lot problem myself, but I can see why it is annoyingly missing.

Even with building my own cemetary though, it is weird in the game because generic lots don't get normal foot traffic. I made my cemetary as a generic lot because I don't want to deal with bathrooms and a hot dog grill at my cemetary. It's a small lot and it's near a public park, a spa and some off-grid scenic picnic area. I don't need the kinds of features in that cemetary that you need in a public park. It's a quiet space for the dead and the grieving, no one goes there to grill hot dogs. Lol. There are some benches, flowers and a fountain. It would be nice to be able to attract more visitors without changing the character of the lot.

I'd welcome improved funeral events as well. I know that was on the list for SPs. Hopefully it will show up in some format. Currently, I use a relative sim's inventory to bring the deceased to the grave site for burial and mourning, but it isn't exactly a proper funeral. I do usually try to send the whole family. I guess I could experiment with inviting more sims to that.

My problem is the fact that I usually very rarely play elders until death (mostly because I get bored very easily with them, especially since they've already done pretty much everything I wanted them to do anyway). I usually end up playing one of their children before they end up dying... and this includes moving the child out with their spouse and starting a new family on their own.

I just want a similar system like we had in Sims 3 where you can simply go to the mausoleum and select the gravestone/urn you want and be able to put it onto a lot however you want. I don't even care of the mausoleum is a "rabbit hole". In fact, that would be perfectly fine. I'm just asking for a basic functioning cemetery. Nothing too special.
    Favorite Packs

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • MissMahooMissMahoo Posts: 208 Member
    I would love to see the return of cemeteries. I have built my own and set it as a generic lot like someone else previously mentioned. I have been using an awesome funeral mod, which definitely makes my game feel more fulfilling when my Sims pass on and really wouldn't want to be without it now, but I know not everyone likes to use mods and I personally feel like this should have been part of the base game as it's such an inevitable and certain stage in life.
    The way death is handled in this game currently, well it's anticlimactic. You put so much effort into your Sims, throughout each of their life stages and then just get a sad moodlet and one choice of gravestone or urn to mourn over, if the death occurs on your lot. I don't like the fact that you have no indication if an elder parent/grandparent living on another lot dies, and no-one really cares either.
    I would love it if they brought back different types of gravestones, based on how successful your sim lived their lives. Like we had in Sims3. It seems odd that a really rich sim would have a small headstone that is exactly the same as a sim who has had to make ends meet all their lives.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    I too would love to see them back. Sure we can build our own but unless the sim dies in your active sims presence, there is not point in my placing the one I built when ghosts were patched in. You would think it would been patched in with ghosts but nope.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I agree.
    This problem is annoying and has been annoying for a while now. But since we have space issues, I'd suggest they patch in a new (edit:small) world with only 1 cemetery lot in it.
    They have patched in a blank world called Newcrest already. So they can do that again, except this time with a cemetery and a bowling alley venue too. I agree!
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    My thoughts on cemeteries keep flip flopping, and I'm not sure how I feel about them

The way ghosts are in TS4 makes it feel like life goes on forever. There's no permanency until you send them to the netherworld or the game/MCCC culls them. So, I just imagine a bunch of ghosts chilling on cemetery lot, chatting on their phones and grilling up a bunch of hamburgers.

While I like the idea of cemeteries, having a place to contact the Reaper, mourn, hold funerals, and maybe some rabbit hole adventure into a mausoleum like TS3.... death just seems so shallow in 4. I just have MCCC cull all ghosts and be rid of them.

The only time I have a cemetery, it's placed on the back of my legacy property. Everybody buried there dies at home .
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• FanPhoriaFanPhoria Posts: 1,655 Member
    I support this. A lot. I too have grown frustrated many times not being able to find a sims grave/urn. I wish there was just SOME way we could get hold of it when we miss the death.
  • ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    A few days ago my savegame got corrupted. To fix it I had to start a new game and load my house and sims from the library. The only loss I took was my achievements and house inventory. Apart from half my picture collection from the microscope, I didnt lose much. I havent seen a former housemember ghosting around in awhile only to find out that when I loaded the house from the library it appears to have killed the ghosts inside and I have no way of getting them back.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I totally agree. I have been disappointed in the lack of cemeteries from early on. A sims community lacks the realism I prefer if it doesn't have a suitable resting location for the previous generations. I don't always have the room for a family cemetery on a residential lot, and since I rotate through households, I don't want to lose a tombstone. I also wish we had a variety of tombstone types. It was rather anti-climatic (though expected) that all the tombstones in the Vampire GP were decorative. It would be nice to even have just the option of clicking on a tombstone and rotating through different styles, just so they could a little different from each other.
  • JagwithtudeJagwithtude Posts: 1,452 Member
    I have a cemetery on the lot with my Crypt Night Club, the club is underground, when sims that I care about die, I bring their urns there, it's rather fun because they will often go down into the night club and party with the "living."
    "If you could read my mind, I'm pretty sure you'd be traumatized for life"

Join us on Discord for help with MC Command Center @ Discord https://discord.gg/TKp3GqE
    The latest version of MCCC 3.9.6 go to https://www.patreon.com/posts/mc-command-3-9-6-15332977

Rrkznuy.jpg?4

• ZoreloraZorelora Posts: 54 Member
    It is very annoying that I have to add elders to the family before they die so that i can get urns.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I agree. It'd be nice, since they're taking their sweet time on it, the graveyards would automatically retrieve any and all recently died Sims, and collect their urns to be stored there. I'd like a graveyard for each world, the size of Magnolia Blossom park.
  • NectereNectere Posts: 1,002 Member
    I wish for sure if the dead person had a house at least their urn would be there somewhere on their lot. My sims regularly kill vampires that stand around or walk by at 6am in front of their lots. I ship all their urns off to my cemetery thats a national park but I dont have that option if they die somewhere else. Maybe they should just leave their urns behind right where they fell, and whoever happens to find it can keep it and do w/e with it, like put it in a park. It'd be like a mini scavenger hunt, is grampa lost or dead?
    Mods should enhance my game, not fix it.
    Origin ID NectereSim
  • mmoblitzmmoblitz Posts: 479 Member
    sunman502 wrote: »

Your probably spot on. The game is severely limited in space so somethings will be cut. I do think though that they should be made available and let the player decide if they want to use space for one or not.
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited April 2017
    Cemeteries had been in the game since TS2 Nightlife in 2005. Why a game in 2017 no longer has them I do not know.

But I thought I would reply to prevent your thread from getting 'buried' :wink:

:no_mouth:

:disappointed:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    To be clear, lack of cemeteries is not the problem. They are easy to create (even more so if you have the Vampires pack :) ).

The real problem is with aging on for other sims, no urn or tombstone gets generated. If they die on another lot, and no tombstone gets generated, they are just gone from the game, and my sims can't mourn for them either.

This is one of the reasons I play with aging off for sims I am not actively playing.