Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Misheard Lyrics

AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
I was in a Latin American restaurant and it was after closing as I was finishing my meal. They put on some poppier energetic music as the staff was clearing up: ELO –"Livin' Thing." I was pleased with the selection as it was more rock oriented rather than the hip hop that seems to be following me around lately. I smile as I all of a sudden hear Steely Dan. But it's a hip hop song sampling Steely Dan: "...Do you realize that you were a champion in their eyes, their eyes, their eyes..." Turns out that it was Kanye West sampling "Kid Charlemagne." That's interesting, I thought. It was the only hip hop they played while I was in there, so my good mood was preserved. (I know everyone likes it, but it sets my nerves on edge.)

But I had always heard that line as "Do you realize that you were Italian in their eyes." I didn't know what would be so strange about being Italian, but that's how I heard it. But Kanye's song was entitled "Champion" so I realized my mistake. Funny that Kanye West should clue me in to the lyrics of a Steely Dan song. I googled it and, oddly enough, I am not the only one who has heard it that way. Anybody else have funny misheard lyrics?

Also, I bet it looks odd to you Brits how we stick our punctuation marks inside of quotations. I think your way makes more sense.

Comments

• Options
    dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    edited April 2017
    Of course there's Taylor Swifts Black Space. I always hear "got a long list of ex-lovers" as "go to lonely starbucks lovers" and never ever questioned it. To me it made perfect sense since it was supposed to be about media portrayal of her and I thought that line was about people who have nothing better to do than sit around a starbucks drinking coffee and reading the tabloids. I still cannot hear it any other way, lots of times once I hear the correct version of a song, that's all I'll be able to hear.

I forget what else, there's *at least* one more song that I misheard, that sounded really stupid.

Oh there's one, idk what it's called or anything because I avoid the top 40 pop garbage they play everywhere (I mean some of it is good, but it's all overplayed) so I've just heard it when it's been forced upon me at the store or whatever. It's supposed to be something about "the good old days" and I always swear it says "the good *dog* days" and I'm like "what?!What the heck does that mean?!" yeah...

my hearing is pretty bad and so is my logic processing apparently. I hear a lot wrong, most of it's just whatever. But some of it is... interesting.
  • Options
    SkyeFallSkyeFall Posts: 55 Member
    tove lo's (i thought it was love toe) stay lie of my time o keep you off my mind
    Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh
    I am the time
    To keep you off my mind
    Ooh-ooh, ooh-ooh
    Spend my days locked in a grate

that's what i thought it was until i was "quietly" singing it at karaoke and my friend beat me with her shoe for ruining the performance for her snapchat, so i googled it and found the real lyrics.
  • Options
    AnnikaperiAnnikaperi Posts: 535 Member
    Could that be Carly Simon's "Anticipation"?

He he. I listened to it and "Got a long list Starbucks lovers" that's the only way I can hear it.

Oh dear, I seem to have started a misheard lyrics and that rubbish that they play thread.

Speaking of that's the only way you can hear it, all you musicians out there, ever hear a song that you know well that opens with a riff that starts with a strong note that is not on the downbeat, and all you can hear it as is "one"? And then as the song continues your rhythm suddenly jolts into place? I have a few songs like that, and the only way I can get rid of it is to play the intro over and over while counting it as it is supposed to be until my ear retrains.
  • Options
    5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    Jimi Hendrix - Purple Haze

For the longest time, I thought he was saying

"Excuse me while I kiss this guy"

It wasn't until​ I found (and read) the lyrics found out the REAL lyrics was -

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky"

Sorry Jimi. Good thing I wasn't trying to sing it in public - lots of people love Jimi's music. I kinda see myself getting jumped for it.
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • Options
    HonestlyBenjaminHonestlyBenjamin Posts: 381 Member
    "I'm farting carrots"

Selena Gomez- So I knew when I heard this about it and I wasn't confused
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    Billie Piper - Because We Want To

I heard "I'm gonna chase the duck", the correct lyrics are "I'm gonna chase the dark clouds away".
    I just never listened what came after the "duck" lol and I just sang my duck line.
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    ElenaBoleynElenaBoleyn Posts: 1,084 Member
    For a couple of weeks when I was listening to BigBang's "Bang Bang Bang" song this was what I heard...
    Chong majeun geotcheoreom
    Bang Bang Bang
    Bam Bam Bam
    Bang Bang Bang

but really it was

Chong majeun geotcheoreom
    Bang Bang Bang
    Banga Banga Banga
    Bang Bang Bang
    tumblr_ngslmgsCVw1rsntc8o4_250.gif
  • Options
    spaceisstrangespaceisstrange Posts: 84 Member
    "cut me father" instead of "cut me farther" - tear in my heart, twenty one pilots
  • Options
    PurrdaleckiPurrdalecki Posts: 972 Member
    Okay, most of the way I mishear lyrics are rude...

For example, Bon Jovi, you give love a bad name:
    'blood red nails on your fingertips'
    I have no idea what I heard instead of 'blood red nails', but I heard 'on your fingertips' as 'your bangy... *rude synonym for the part of chicken people usually eat*'
    I didn't even question it lol, I thought it meant like... Woohooable...

In beetlebum by Blur, I heard 'he's on it' as '*rude word for pee* on me...'
    The misheard lyrics made sense to me since I wasn't hearing the actual lyrics, I thought the song was about something else. I thought by saying... pee on me.. Damon was stating how he felt inferior, and that he didn't care if people treated him terribly because he had nothing to lose.

Thirdly, in 'charmless man' by Blur, I somehow managed to hear:
    'She can't eat... *rude synonym for rear*..'
    instead of:
    (He thinks) he's educated
    Airs (those family shares)

Maybe I'm just dirty minded..

tumblr_inline_o2epubgZOk1tbsl8q_500.gif
    My sims 4 studio with poses for download and stuff: click
  • Options
    vamppanicvamppanic Posts: 34 Member
    > @Purrdalecki said:
    > Okay, most of the way I mishear lyrics are rude...
    >
    > For example, Bon Jovi, you give love a bad name:
    > 'blood red nails on your fingertips'
    > I have no idea what I heard instead of 'blood red nails', but I heard 'on your fingertips' as 'your bangy... *rude synonym for the part of chicken people usually eat*'
    > I didn't even question it lol, I thought it meant like... Woohooable...
    >
    > In beetlebum by Blur, I heard 'he's on it' as '*rude word for pee* on me...'
    > The misheard lyrics made sense to me since I wasn't hearing the actual lyrics, I thought the song was about something else. I thought by saying... pee on me.. Damon was stating how he felt inferior, and that he didn't care if people treated him terribly because he had nothing to lose.
    >
    > Thirdly, in 'charmless man' by Blur, I somehow managed to hear:
    > 'She can't eat... *rude synonym for rear*..'
    > instead of:
    > (He thinks) he's educated
    > Airs (those family shares)
    >
    >
    > Maybe I'm just dirty minded..

Oh my goooood I love Blur.

In Country House at that part where he says "remedyyy" I thought he was saying "rub my [[INNAPROPIATE,, PHALLIC OBJECT THAT RHYMES WITH SICK]]"

I guess we both have dirty minds
  • Options
    MRSMLOGMRSMLOG Posts: 21,181 Member
    edited May 2017
    When my son was little he went around singing "The hoe, the hoe, a carrots life for me!"

It was supposed to be "Yo ho, Yo ho, a pirates life for me!" (from a Disneyland songs tape he had) :D

Oh yeah... "Only the Lonely" by Roy Orbison was "Only the Laundry" What a goofy kid.
  • Options
    MMXMMX Posts: 4,428 Member
    Bump, this thread has plenty of potential.
  • Options
    trashpacatrashpaca Posts: 15 New Member
    I used to think that the the one part chorus for Maroon 5 Moves Like Jagger was like this:

Take me by the tongue and I'll know you
    Kiss me 'til you're truck and I'll show you all the moves like Dagger
    I've got the moves like Dagger
    I've got the moves like Dagger

When really it was this:

Take me by the tongue and I'll know you
    Kiss me 'til you're drunk and I'll show you all the moves like Jagger
    I've got the moves like Jagger
    I've got the moves like Jagger

Wow, I used to have one dirty ear.. Just kidding! Lol.
  • Options
    TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    Oh maaaan, I’ve got so many! Guess I’ll start off with these two, both from ABBA songs.

When I was young I loved ABBA, but I didn’t recognise some of their lyrics. So, we have this one from “Dancing Queen”-
    Actual: “See that girl, watch that scene, digging the dancing queen!”
    Misheard: “See that girl, watch that scream, kicking the dancing queen!”

More recently, I was listening to some ABBA songs on a plane, and one line in “Money Money Money” came out like this-
    Actual (looked it up later): “I’ll have to go, to Las Vegas or Monaco”
    Misheard: “I’ll have to go, to Las Vegas on a quoll”

This is a quoll:
    fGVIQNV.jpg
    It’s native to Australia, and given that I’ve been studying there for almost a year (and I still have 4 years to go), I’m not at all surprised I heard that word in a song xD