Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Leaving The Forum Notice

aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
When I click on external links, I get a window pop up saying that I'm leaving the Sims Forums and if I'd like to continue to click the link.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any fix to turn it off?

Comments

• Options
    rosemow wrote: »
    Hello
    I am having this appearing also. It has just been happening these last couple of days.

Thanks rose! Glad I'm not the only one.

First photobucket is acting up on the forums and now this! Yikes!
  • Options
    king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    The forums have been glitching a lot latley :(
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • Options
    Yes I also noticed that when I'm on my phone all the forum categories are gone. It just shows sub-categories without any spacing.

Very strange!
  • Options
    CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    I think this must be a forum upgrade. Links must have been modified to add one security level so that if somebody posts potential spam (=any external link), people who click on hidden links see the full link instead of an automatic redirection, so that they get redirected only if they're sure that's what they want. Annoying but clever.
    If it really is a security update, it's meant to stay.
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    And the reason why people are now noticing issues with Photobucket, Flickr, etc. is because the auto-generated coding it creates which everyone just slaps into the forum includes a link to view that image directly on Photobucket, Flickr, etc., so because of the new re-direction for links, it is now turning all those linked images into a text link instead. To get around this, those posting images from these hosts need to remember to remove the
    [url=URL HERE][/url]

portion out of the code, which usually surrounds the image coding, which is the only part which is needed to make the picture appear. So what you really need from their auto-generated coding is this part:
    [img]URL_TO_IMAGE.jpg[/img]

That should get Photobucket, Flickr, etc. images to display correctly instead of displaying as text-links.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    The forums have been glitching a lot latley :(

I had this for a few minutes the other night (maybe when they put the update in?):

It didn't stay that way for very long, fortunately. It was mostly amusing because it was so odd.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    And the reason why people are now noticing issues with Photobucket, Flickr, etc. is because the auto-generated coding it creates which everyone just slaps into the forum includes a link to view that image directly on Photobucket, Flickr, etc., so because of the new re-direction for links, it is now turning all those linked images into a text link instead. To get around this, those posting images from these hosts need to remember to remove the
    [url=URL HERE][/url]

portion out of the code, which usually surrounds the image coding, which is the only part which is needed to make the picture appear. So what you really need from their auto-generated coding is this part:
    [img]URL_TO_IMAGE.jpg[/img]

That should get Photobucket, Flickr, etc. images to display correctly instead of displaying as text-links.

That's super annoying. I really hope they'll fix that soon. Like someone else said, this could be a nightmare for Creative threads and other picture heavy threads!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    This has messed up any signatures with banner links like I had until this happened and I had to change my signature to get the link ti work and the image to show.This situation is a nightmare for posters like me who use sigantures to link to blogs for stories.I've been using a browser extension to bypass that leaving the page popup since I've got my browser overloaded with adblockers and have adblocking greasermonkey scripts running for further security.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    tammyjo329tammyjo329 Posts: 2,747 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    When I click on external links, I get a window pop up saying that I'm leaving the Sims Forums and if I'd like to continue to click the link.

Is anyone else seeing this? Any fix to turn it off?

I thought this was a windows 10 update thing? I noticed right after my latest windows 10 update.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Right click the link to open in a new tab until others start posting links correctly.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Right click the link to open in a new tab until others start posting links correctly.
    @Cinebar
    Are you talking about pictures? Or links that take you to external sites? If it's the links, the warning still pops up in the new tab.
  • Options
    @Cinebar
    Are you talking about pictures? Or links that take you to external sites? If it's the links, the warning still pops up in the new tab.

Yes, I was speaking about actual links. It works for me most of the time to right click it so it won't take me off site. But if it does you can hit the back button and go back to site but then you have more cookies stalking you if you do that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    @Cinebar

Yes, I was speaking about actual links. It works for me most of the time to right click it so it won't take me off site. But if it does you can hit the back button and go back to site but then you have more cookies stalking you if you do that.

Maybe it's just me because I'm still having the problem with right clicking and opening a new tab. I get the warning and then I have to click on the link.
  • Options
    @Cinebar

Maybe it's just me because I'm still having the problem with right clicking and opening a new tab. I get the warning and then I have to click on the link.

SimsVIP used to do this all the time with her photobucket. She would link a picture on her site or someone else would link it here. You could see her entire photobucket because they leave the 's' in the http.
  • Options
    @Cinebar - This warning is a new one. I've never seen it before when clicking on links for external sites.

• Options
    Is it new members who just recently became members who post links? and it's what @mastressalita said? It may be they are posting their links the wrong way.
  • Options
    @Cinebar - nope it's happening to me too.
    Have you tried clicking on an external link lately? It should give you a warning that you're about to leave the Sims site. Then it says click this link (whatever link it is) to continue.
  • Options
    Have you tried clicking on an external link lately? It should give you a warning that you're about to leave the Sims site. Then it says click this link (whatever link it is) to continue.

No, I only click embedded videos. I meant is it new members posting these links? Because if it is they are posting them wrong and causing the problems.
  • Options

No, I only click embedded videos. I meant is it new members posting these links? Because if it is they are posting them wrong and causing the problems.

Oh I see. No I don't think so. I clicked on a link from my Creative Corner that was to a build I uploaded to the Exchange and I still get the warning. I haven't changed the way I post links.

Something weird is happening in these forums, like with photo sharing sites too. Pictures are disappearing, though there's a work around for that.
  • Options

Oh I see. No I don't think so. I clicked on a link from my Creative Corner that was to a build I uploaded to the Exchange and I still get the warning. I haven't changed the way I post links.

Something weird is happening in these forums, like with photo sharing sites too. Pictures are disappearing, though there's a work around for that.

When you get errors on this site sometimes you can click a small icon at the bottom and see how many times this site has been hacked. I haven't seen those 404 errors but just telling you, it is possible to see how many times this site gets hacked sometimes if you ever get a 404 error.
  • Options
    I don't think it's an error. I think it's a security measure for some reason.

I'll take a screenshot next time I'm on my pc.
  • Options
    mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    It is basically like they've added an extra level of security to all posted links on the site. There is nothing wrong or unusual about how they are posted, it's just a simple URL piece of BBCode. But now the forums wants you to know and confirm that you've clicked a link and want to go to it with that "You are now leaving the site" message. (As someone who runs the largest link directory of Sim stories on these forums, I can safely say I'm not exactly a fan of the new "security pop-up").

In the case of the photo sharing sites, they create an auto-generated piece of BBCode for use on forums, and that piece of coding includes a link-back to their service as part of their own ToS. Their auto-generated coding typically looks like this:
    [url=URL TO IMAGE SITE][img]IMAGE_URL_TO_PHOTO.jpg[/img][/url]

The new link security the forums has put in place (the "You are leaving this site" message applied to links) just doesn't work right on these links embedded within an image, so instead they are converted into a text link and display on the forum as:

IMAGE_URL_TO_PHOTO.jpg (in text, like that, right on the forum, instead as the proper picture)

It isn't that the image hosts are doing anything wrong (they want a link-back as per their ToS), and it isn't that the users are doing anything wrong by copying the auto-generated script these hosts provide, exactly... but because the forums have added this (in my opinion unnecessary, though it is unlikely to change back to the way it was) link security, now the only way to get images to appear correctly is to remove the URL bits of coding from the code so you are just left with the IMG bits of coding. A lot of Simlit threads and other creative corner/image-heavy threads have been massively affected by this, and I think a lot of new members, who logically think they can just copy/paste the auto-generated BBCode from image-sharing sites, are going to be baffled when it doesn't work.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Options
    It is basically like they've added an extra level of security to all posted links on the site. There is nothing wrong or unusual about how they are posted, it's just a simple URL piece of BBCode. But now the forums wants you to know and confirm that you've clicked a link and want to go to it with that "You are now leaving the site" message. (As someone who runs the largest link directly of Sim stories on these forums, I can safely say I'm not exactly a fan of the new "security pop-up").

In the case of the photo sharing sites, they create an auto-generated piece of BBCode for use on forums, and that piece of coding includes a link-back to their service as part of their own ToS. Their auto-generated coding typically looks like this:

The new link security the forums has put in place (the "You are leaving this site" message applied to links) just doesn't work right on these links embedded within an image, so instead they are converted into a text link and display on the forum as:

IMAGE_URL_TO_PHOTO.jpg (in text, like that, right on the forum, instead as the proper picture)

It isn't that the image hosts are doing anything wrong (they want a link-back as per their ToS), and it isn't that the users are doing anything wrong by copying the auto-generated script these hosts provide, exactly... but because the forums have added this (in my opinion unnecessary, though it is unlikely to change back to the way it was) link security, now the only way to get images to appear correctly is to remove the URL bits of coding from the code so you are just left with the IMG bits of coding. A lot of Simlit threads and other creative corner/image-heavy threads have been massively affected by this, and I think a lot of new members, who logically think they can just copy/paste the auto-generated BBCode from image-sharing sites, are going to be baffled when it doesn't work.

That explains it much better than I did @Cinebar
    Thank you @mastressalita :smile:
  • Options
    It is basically like they've added an extra level of security to all posted links on the site. There is nothing wrong or unusual about how they are posted, it's just a simple URL piece of BBCode. But now the forums wants you to know and confirm that you've clicked a link and want to go to it with that "You are now leaving the site" message. (As someone who runs the largest link directory of Sim stories on these forums, I can safely say I'm not exactly a fan of the new "security pop-up").

But in the instructions here somewhere it says to remove what you said earlier and most people (including myself) don't get it right (or I never do) to post the link of an image or whatever.