Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Gameplay experiment: Homeless toddler

EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
Cuteness & Heartbreak
A gameplay experiment

Not sure if this belongs in to Sims 4 stories or general. I'm just telling "this happend and then that happened", not weaving a story. On the other hand it kinda feels like a story, so please move the thread if it's inappropriate for this section!

Backstory: Due to a mod conflict my Baum family ended up thinking their son Karl died at birth. They immediately adopted Kyle in his stead. However, Karl Baum hadn't died, instead a hitherto unrevealed faction had abducted him from the hospital. Now, about 4 years later, Karl was tossed onto the streets of San Myshuno - a homeless toddler with no memory of his past ordeals whatsoever.

In the process of re-structuring due to issues with photo-hosting site, chapters will be added back soon

The original tale: The Streets of San Myshuno

Best-of-outtakes on my tumblr.
I made this when users had trouble with photbucket. The guy in black is Florian, the elderly lady Izumi, the couple in the bar Karl's are birth parents and in the last picture he recieves an autonomous hug from Cassandra Goth. The captions somehow only show up when logged in.

Sequel when Parenthood was released: Between San Myshuno and Windenburg

Karl goes on vacation: In Oasis Springs

I was asked about my worldbuilding: In this post in the spoiler

Karl in other players' games: In this post by kathykins

Backstory to why Karl was abandoned: [u.rl="coming soon"]The McNally Saga[/url]

Credits & Ressources:

Sims:
Karl: Homeless Toddler by EnkiSchmidt
(Two versions, one solo and one with birth parents)
Wyatt Holiday by request: Wyatt Holiday by EnkiSchmidt
(Son of Summer Holiday, uploaded with father and half-sisters)
Dustin Mendoza under his real name: Escobedo by EnkiSchmidt
Gordon and Mia: Shallot by EnkiSchmidt
(Two versions, one unplayed, one skilled with ghostly parents)
Portia the landlord: Colch by vampiresteeth

Lots
Ferry Station by EnkiSchmidt
Furniture Factory: Art factory center by SimDels
Princess Playground by EnkiSchmidt
Beach fx: Basegame compatible beach with wave effects by Snowhaze on MTS http://modthesims.info/download.php?t=592623
Hotel: Oasis Island Pools by Nyx26
Town Square: The Village (no cc) by MadameMamba
Dig site: Archaeological dig nocc by TheGreatSymphony
Ziggurat by maxiscreator_01
House of the Watcher: Small Country Church (2) by EnkiSchmidt
Post edited by EnkiSchmidt on

Comments

• JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    I HATE this bug so much! I literally had 7 toddlers in their own separate households until I did a clean up and erased useless townies.
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,341 Member
    I HATE this bug so much! I literally had 7 toddlers in their own separate households until I did a clean up and erased useless townies.

What I'm describing isn't a bug, though. I transfered Karl from the household he was born in over to Florian's household via household management.
  • BriannaSkifBriannaSkif Posts: 34 Member
    Intriging experiment! I hope you continue it.
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    This is both disturbing but entertaining all at the same time!!! I love it!

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
    edited June 2017
    - obsolete -
    Part 2

First thing I did today was removing the furniture from the whatever it was supposed to represent structure in Myshuno Meadows. The citizens were informed that a museum would soon open here and most were pretty enthusiastic about the idea. Except, of course, my two challenge sims who had been mooching here.

The situation got worse and Karl was killed by the city officials sunday evening, after only five days of play. Of course I exit without saving.
    I'll replay the last day, as I had gotten a flea market notification, but ignored it. Perhaps there are some out-of-inventory edibles or toddler toys to be had there.

I'm not sure if I'm a terribly bad player or if default San Myshuno is hard to survive in for one that young. Had Karl lived in Willow Creek where I have a toddler playground, he'd done alright. But the city streets seem pretty unforgiving.
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Cracking up here, and loving your story!

Poor Karl is off to a rough start in life (I came to this conclusion after seeing the last pic) :D

Glad you didn't save it, can't wait to see more!
    edited June 2017
    Glad you didn't save it, can't wait to see more!
    My simsworld can be a very cruel place, but kids and expecting mothers are immune to death of any kind :)

edited June 2017
    Part 3

- obsolete -
    edited June 2017
    - obsolete -
    Part 3 b

There's still some paperwork to manage before the transfer. Of the two weeks I granted myself for the challenge there are still two days left. I'll see how far I get with Karl's skills (he'll max them all in the Goth household, anyway, so it's just for my own satisfaction).

• AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    edited April 2017
    I love this so much! It's interesting.
    edited June 2017
    - obsolete -

Part 4

And with this being an aging off save, there is no danger of Izumi dying anytime soon. Also she is also already good friends with Heinrich, the elderly foreman in Georg's furniture factory. Maybe with a little work I can merge these two families. Heinrich's daughter wants to go to San Myshuno anyway, so she could move into the Culepepper apartment, while Izumi and Karl could move in with Heinrich and his younger son (child aged) Rocky. This would also allow for Georg and Aerith to see Karl more often and gradually become closer.
    Ah, possibilities!

Or Izumi could become a female Fagin and Karl a modern days Oliver Twist...
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    I somehow can't see any pictures you upload 'cause my browser hates photobucket :(
    Love this story, but I've never even seen Karl :joy:
    edited April 2017
    @Pancakesandwich

I've put up a best-of at my tumblr: http://enkisstories.tumblr.com/post/159565645538/best-of-karl-from-my-homeless-toddler-experiment

The guy in black is Florian, the elderly lady Izumi, the couple in the bar Karl's are birth parents and in the last picture he recieves an autonomous hug from Cassandra Goth. The captions somehow only show up when logged in.
    @Pancakesandwich

I've put up a best-of at my tumblr: http://enkisstories.tumblr.com/post/159565645538/best-of-karl-from-my-homeless-toddler-experiment

The guy in black is Florian, the elderly lady Izumi, the couple in the bar Karl's are birth parents and in the last picture he recieves an autonomous hug from Cassandra Goth. The captions somehow only show up when logged in.

<3 Thank you so much! That's awesome of you! :)
  • AlbaWaterhouseAlbaWaterhouse Posts: 3,953 Member
    edited April 2017
    I love the experiment and your storytelling!
    Origin ID is: AlbaWaterhouse
    All my creations are CC free.
  • DyrewitchDyrewitch Posts: 465 Member
    @EnkiSchmidt I love this story you are a great story teller and very imaginative I started reading and couldn't stop. I will keep my eyr out in case you post any other stories. Also so great with the screen shots ( i always forget to take screen shots until it's to late) Love it.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    This is both disturbing but entertaining all at the same time!!! I love it!
    :joy: figures you would find it disturbing.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    Thank you everyone for reading and commenting! I'm very emotionally invested in the mini challenges I play, so seeing my sharing them being apprecciated makes my day <3

As for the disturbing and enteraining at the same time, it's a large part of what always drives me back to the sims from my other games. In The Sims we can safely live through the most dark of scenarios, but are always fully in control to stopp it. It's strangely liberarting, unlike irl where things often feel out of our control (idk, perhaps just midlife crisis speaking here).
    Wait... I can't say why AT ALL but somehow I can see the pictures now B) Probably just needed to have this tab open for half an hour :D
    Okay, now I'll just read the entire thing yet again :D
  • FereldanCherryFereldanCherry Posts: 291 Member
    Awww Karl is SO cute...poor little guy
    The Fox And The Lion (Chapter 1 - The Introduction): https://fereldencherry.tumblr.com/tagged/tfatl1/chrono
  • edwie22edwie22 Posts: 100 Member
    That;s a nice gameplay mode and a good way to get acquainted/care about your toddler. I have several of them but one of 'em was a real P E S T, I didn't even know what to do, so I let Social Services take him away (about 5 times) haha.. I had to delete him and create a new one. Both have the wild trait but the new one is different. However, is there any way the toddler can REALLY be in a household on its own?

When I used to play Sims Freeplay there was a bug which allowed toddlers to own/live alone in a house. Two sims got married, had children, then got divorced, one of them moves out, the remarried, then move together to another home. This always left a toddler out of the household and there is no way you can put him back unless you become good friends with him and choose "Adopt". I haven't tried this in Sims 4, I know that children are not allowed to be without adults but I've had a couple of toddlers walking by themselves in public spaces. When I go into the household gallery to look for them (not in world) they are not there!!

Keep up the great work.
  • SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    As far as I know kids and toddlers cannot be placed on their own. HOWEVER - they can be placed with only a teen.

I actually tested this by recreating the Newsons from TS2, it was a household of foster siblings whose foster mom died and they were trying to make it on their own, two teens, two kids, and two toddlers. .... It is a challenge. Loved your experiment with Karl!
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Loved the story! I could never do this, but it is very interesting how it turned out!

I wanted to take Karl under my wings, feed, bathe, play, teach....etc. LOL He is such a cutie-pie <3
  • emerlykingemerlyking Posts: 21 New Member
    Awh. I couldn't do it myself. There's two toddlers in my household not homeless, and its a handful.
    edited June 2017
    I wanted to take Karl under my wings, feed, bathe, play, teach....etc. LOL He is such a cutie-pie <3

Actually, you can ;)

In the gallery as Homeless Toddler household by EnkiSchmidt

This version of Karl was never played, so he has no skill whatsoever. His birth parents are reasonably skilled as violinist and carpenter and should do fine in their careers (they are self-employed factory owners in my game).