Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who does NOT want laundry?

Comments

• Options
    reiureyareiureya Posts: 80 Member
    With Style B, most of everything is likely going to be Country-style. >.> Not sure what all we will actually wind up with, but laundry is going to be challenging with a country and eco-living theme. XD We'll just have to wait until they put together their concept art for each piece.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Morgan203 wrote: »
    I am not a fan of the laundry being added.,.....I don't see how it would tie into the stuff pack.

The theme description is more than just eco-friendly stuff: "Adopt new home technologies to help your Sim with domestic responsibilities and live an eco-friendly life. Potential areas of focus include laundry, home technology, and solar energy." There seems to be room there for the possibility of multiple gameplay objects, with that "and" not "or".

But washing machines aren't eco in any way.
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2017
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    I am not a fan of the laundry being added.,.....I don't see how it would tie into the stuff pack.

The theme description is more than just eco-friendly stuff: "Adopt new home technologies to help your Sim with domestic responsibilities and live an eco-friendly life. Potential areas of focus include laundry, home technology, and solar energy." There seems to be room there for the possibility of multiple gameplay objects, with that "and" not "or".

The pack is not only "eco" in the description. It's got two possible directions it could go - domestic responsibilities and eco-friendliness - or a combination of those. And you know, if laundry didn't fit in the theme conception, all those words I boldfaced wouldn't be there. It might not be the theme conception as everyone would write it, but it's the one we were given.

For the record: Dangerous was my #1. Eco was my #2 with my main interest being things like solar energy, but I also want laundry... and I suspect this pack could have more than one gameplay object so I might get both... and that sense of "both" is in the theme description.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I hate the idea of laundry but I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's coming. I don't think it fits in a eco friendly pack but that's just my view.
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member

The pack is not only "eco" in the description. It's got two possible directions it could go - domestic responsibilities and eco-friendliness - or a combination of those. And you know, if laundry didn't fit in the theme conception, all those words I boldfaced wouldn't be there. It might not be the theme conception as everyone would write it, but it's the one we were given.

For the record: Dangerous was my #1. Eco was my #2 with my main interest being things like solar energy, but I also want laundry... and I suspect this pack could have more than one gameplay object so I might get both... and that sense of "both" is in the theme description.

The only reason I am still not convinced even though it is in the description, is that the working title is 'Eco-Living' :P
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    szMermaidszMermaid Posts: 254 Member
    I wish there was an option for the Sims to wash their clothes by the edge of the river and dry them on clotheslines, not every day, but maybe at least once a week, for example, every Saturday or Sunday. And that would also increase the cleansing ability and they could do that while they talking to each other, laughing etc, so they can have fun too.
    xyIcMqt.png

If you would like to see Off-The-Grid, Canning/Preserving, and Freegan/Carbon Conscious be made in to a Game Pack or EP, sign the petition!: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921310/off-the-grid-gamepack-petition-374-signatures/p1?new=1
  • Options
    diisnerddiisnerd Posts: 52 Member
    I hate laundry irl, why would I want it in game?
  • Options
    BlueJeans04989BlueJeans04989 Posts: 84 Member
    Laundry or Eco living stuff pack? I pick Eco living. But this pack will depend on what the sims players want and vote for. When reading through this forum, it's clear what the majority of the voters want: Laundry and Off the grid self sufficient living. Not Eco living. Those wanting Eco living are in the minority in this forum.

<snip>

So what exactly is not Eco Living about Living off-grid? The people (like me) who want off-grid type stuff see that as Eco Living. What is your definition that is so different from living off-grid?

BTW - I'm asking because I want to know, not to sound contentious :smiley:

• Options
    ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017
    What is your definition that is so different from living off-grid?

Living off the grid is about eliminating one's dependency on the modern world and becoming so self sufficient that you can survive without needing much of the outside world's help--for example, growing your own food instead of relying on the supermarket or making your own clothes and furniture instead of buying it from the store.

Eco Living is about engaging in any activities and using anything that is considered "green", as in, environmentally friendly. Being off or on the grid has nothing much to do with any of this. A person can be living on the grid in the heart of NYC or some other metropolis and still be living an Eco Life if they use a reusable shopping bag for their groceries, repurpose items or ride a bike instead of use a car.
    Post edited by ts1depot on
    EiFlric.png
  • Options
    teajayloveteajaylove Posts: 175 Member
    Don't care much for a washer and dryer but laundry itself isn't a bad idea.. perhaps a wash basin and a line to dry the clothes. Seems more "Eco" friendly than the machines.
  • Options
    adaughmaadaughma Posts: 4 New Member

While I enjoy the mundane task of doing laundry and forcing my Sims to do it, it isn't my top want for this pack at all! Definitely want a few or all of the following:
    • loft beds
    • ladders and/or spiral staircases (for space-saving reasons-- I want to be able to build more functional tiny homes)
    • functional greenhouses (that we can build using modular pieces or something) that provide higher quality plants
    • a LOT of new and graftable harvestables (eggplants-- if we had eggs, a joke would be to graft an egg to any plant to get an eggplant LOL--, lettuce-- because spinach is not a replacement for lettuce--, avocado-- because we can't have eco-hipsters and no avocado--, radishes, parsnips-- created by grafting carrots and parsley-- oregano, lavender, rosemary, corn, peppers, pumpkins, cucumbers, figs, melons, and raspberries)
    • rooftop and free-standing solar panels for lowering bills
    • maybe composting toilets or trash compactors (again, for higher quality harvestables)
    • new sculpture and woodworking crafts (beds, chairs and sofas, tables and desks, easels, bookcases, etc.) and a floor woodworking/sculpture station, like in TS3
    • new painting types, i.e. nature paintings (or more landscape paintings) and psychedelic art (that causes Dazed or Very happy moodlets)

And for those who have City Living and the ability to sell collectables/harvestables outdoors, new harvestables, collectables, and crafts would be pretty rad!

Going in full circle-- laundry will most likely be the added feature, as it seems that the majority of Simmers want this pack to be centric around laundry for some reason? But if we can get a few more Build/Buy objects with new functions, I'd love to see loft beds, ladders and spiral stairs, and everything else I listed above!
  • Options
    LuckyissaraLuckyissara Posts: 22 Member
    Honestly, I wouldn't mind laundry being in the game. But for those who don't want it, I'd expect it to be an option like in Sims 3 where if you don't place it in your world, you wouldn't need to worry about it. But it would be cool for those laundry liner things that go outside, and if you left them out in the rain, they'd get damp or ruined in some way.
  • Options
    VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    edited April 2017
    I mean I don't see what laundry has to do with eco living either but I also don't see how it would take away from energy saving objects.

Solar Panel - Just an stationary object that would lower your bills. It's just an effect nothing more.
    Wind Turbines - Think of the pinwheel object from Backyard Stuff it's was just an objects with a special shader to make is spin the only difference is that the wind turbine would add an effect.
    Composter - Would probably just be a trashcan that after a couple days would allow you to collect fertilizer.

From my viewpoint these aren't complicated objects. Don't get me wrong they are nice objects but the most interesting one is the composter because my sims would actually be able to interact with it.

Personally I would be more interested in a aquaponics tank. The plants would be constantly watered as well as get fertilized by the fish and if one wanted to have a planter as well as a fish tank they now just saved space by combining the two. They could also make it so that plants grow faster, produce more, can be evolved faster, and best of all would be less time consuming.

ETA: They could even make it so that different plants would do better with different fish. This would also be a great way for them to add new plants and fish. They probabbly won't be adding these new plants to any neighborhoods but they could make it so that when certain fish and plants mix they produce a new type of plant. Think crossbreeding but instead of needing two different plants you need a plant and a fish.

ETA AGAIN!!!: I guess they could also make it so that depending on what you put in the composter you would get different kinds of fertilizer and some of them could affect your plants by changing them into new one. I would also prefer this over a regular composter.
  • Options
    gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    I have no idea why laundry is so wanted. You guys wanted toddlers, okay that makes sense. Toddlers are fun. You guys want eco-living stuff. And you want laundry??? Why didn't they have laundry as it's own stuff pack so that I don't get disappointed when this stuff pack has just laundry. I'm really tired of everyone saying that sims need laundry. If you want laundry that bad, come to my house and do mine.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited April 2017
    maybe laundry could be more fun then we think we've no idea what they have in mind for it
    like what if the washer and dryer are evil some how like the wishing well >:)
    I think that would make it more fun
    Post edited by comicsforlife on
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    rosehrtgirlrosehrtgirl Posts: 252 Member
    I have no idea why laundry is so wanted. You guys wanted toddlers, okay that makes sense. Toddlers are fun. You guys want eco-living stuff. And you want laundry??? Why didn't they have laundry as it's own stuff pack so that I don't get disappointed when this stuff pack has just laundry. I'm really tired of everyone saying that sims need laundry. If you want laundry that bad, come to my house and do mine.

Some people like laundry and some people don't. I know individuals who find doing their laundry a smoothing relaxing task while watching television. I don't find it relaxing myself though. Some people even like cleaning their house. Laundry can be another fun task for sims with the neat trait to do. It gives neat sims something else to do. So some sims will find it a tedious task while other sims won't.

I hope we get the eco trait in this pack. To make laundry more interesting add a laundry skill, and mishaps like over flooded washing machine, pink whites, and scorched clothes. And if they add an iron board, fires! fires!
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member

That's kind of the point for me. You have laundry, and you can choose to be eco-friendly by hanging it on the line, or not by using the dryer. So you have the good and the bad. If your Sim is eco-friendly, they need something to react to.

But we'll get to vote on the features and I guess they'll choose the name later. Graham said not to take the name too literally.
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited April 2017

That's kind of the point for me. You have laundry, and you can choose to be eco-friendly by hanging it on the line, or not by using the dryer. So you have the good and the bad. If your Sim is eco-friendly, they need something to react to.

But we'll get to vote on the features and I guess they'll choose the name later. Graham said not to take the name too literally.

Totally agree. Standing there just breathing is eco-friendly... unless you count your carbon emissions. In order for an Eco-Living pack to work, there has to be a choice made. Which means by default, Eco-Living has to contain things that are and aren't eco-friendly. Otherwise, we're just standing around holding our breath doing nothing.

People make a conscience choice to become more green. Maybe you start recycling. Maybe as things break, you replace them with better, more efficient machines. Maybe you install a few solar panels. No one goes from an average lifestyle to drinking their own urine and eating bark overnight. :D Laundry fits because there are ways to make it more eco-friendly and ways that make it less so. Either way, the majority of the world prefers to wear clean undies. How they get those tighty whiteys so bright depends on how eco-minded they are.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I don't particularly want laundry because I think it's a waste of time and resources. I'll probably never place a washer or dryer in any of my Sims homes because these objects seem to serve no real purpose except as very large deco objects. Clotheslines, to me, are also clutter which I don't use a lot of. However, I know that there have been quite a few threads posted by players who want laundry related items.

My houses tend to be very small so I don't have extra space for a lot of deco items on a lot. The tree that comes with the current Magic Bean challenge takes up 8 tiles. Even though my houses are small I still had to shift a lot of things around to get that tree to fit on the 30x20 lots that I use for my houses. This pretty much means that they have almost no landscaping because I can't fit it in their yards - but they do have rather large income producing gardens. Otherwise they have one tree and a couple of shrubs.

Oh well, whatever happens, happens. Laundry might turn out to be interesting. Plus the players that build big beautiful homes on larger lots could probably use that stuff to make the homes they build look even more realistic. I do love to look at those homes.
  • Options
    CCC2000CCC2000 Posts: 5 New Member
    I think having laundry in Sims is a good idea, i think it would give us more to do. I love the idea of it.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    The mention of laundry is why it won. :D
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    PhnxPlaPhnxPla Posts: 9 New Member
    I wouldn't mind having laundry in the game but I don't think this sp is the best place to fit it in. Laundry should have its own sp so that it can be more fleshed out and interesting than it was in sims 3. I like a lot of the other ideas I've read for eco living. Organic gardening would be nice where your sims could buy fertilizer or they can fertilize with fish for it to be organic. And when selling produce they make more money if it's organic. Food preservation like canning and drying produce that you can later cook with or sell. It'd be nice to be able to preserve fish (drying, canning, curing) and then be able to cook with and sell it. And also be able to carry dried fish in your inventory and be able to eat it. Something else that could be added would be for sims with handiness skill to be able to upgrade appliances, showers and toilets to have an eco mode. I would love to have green roofs too!
  • Options
    DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    CK213 wrote: »
    The mention of laundry is why it won. :D

Debatable. All we have as source is a small sample of vocal players on the forums or twitter. I am, for instance, one of those who voted Eco 1 for really liking the theme itself, not for a 50's domestic machine.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • Options
    Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I didn't really care either way, except that I hope we'll have a clothes line. I was more interested in the solar energy mentioned and the other "home technology." I hope they'll be the means to help lower our sims' bills.
  • Options
    AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    It's not that I'm against laundry, it's just that I think this stuff pack is not where it belongs. It should be incorporated into a game or expansion pack later on down the road so that we can have laundry mats be a new community venue. As I'm pretty sure community venues aren't a thing with stuff packs since they usually have minimal if any game play added and are mostly just outfits and furniture.