Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone here like GOTHIC/DARK things?

2...Next

Comments

• IndustrialxGothIndustrialxGoth Posts: 84 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Movotti wrote: »
    And more creepy stuff, like the bird skull in the vampires pack.
    [Ah, bird skull?? Where was that in the pack..? I don't recall seeing one, but I'd love to see it~]
    on the mantle, under teh glass dome
    buy-mode-fireplace.jpg
    Oh, that's interesting... Ah, I just found it in Build Mode -- definitely used it in my household now, haha~ Thanks for mentioning that it exists!
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    Yeah
    Erica87 wrote: »
    English isn't my native language and we likely live in different places so words might be used differently around here :smile:

True -- even in my country people tend to use those terms as you have, but I'm just referring to the definitions through the terms'/labels' origins and history (such as "goth" vs. "gothic" especially being a European [of UK descent] term).

Yeah, but in my country there are no terms for gothic (Well, there is but it's used for the building style, not the subculture) and so gothic and goth are used interchangeable as a replacement. But really, it was just two letters. I don't see why it's such a big deal.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
    Yeah
    English isn't my native language and we likely live in different places so words might be used differently around here :smile:

True -- even in my country people tend to use those terms as you have, but I'm just referring to the definitions through the terms'/labels' origins and history (such as "goth" vs. "gothic" especially being a European [of UK descent] term).

Yeah, but in my country there are no terms for gothic (Well, there is but it's used for the building style, not the subculture) and so gothic and goth are used interchangeable as a replacement. But really, it was just two letters. I don't see why it's such a big deal.

I know it seems similar because of a two-letter difference, but they mean different things (like of many other words that look the same but one has like a one/two letter difference). "Gothic" has certainly been around since architectural means, no doubt. It was a style of art. "Goth" itself was used much long ago of the particular Germanic tribe, but has been re-used as a term (since about the 1970's) to describe a particular style of music.

Goth=a music genre (Goth Rock); also became a term from and since the late '70s to call the fans of this genre.
    Gothic=an art style. It was at first of architecture, eventually for a style of literature (emphasizing themes of death + mysticism), and then developed to define such within the newfound subculture (cir. the 1970's) of the arts (be it the fashions, illustrations, other styles of music, etc.); also a term to describe those who have more of a preference towards the "darker" side of said arts, but notably are not fans of Goth Rock music in particular, but may rather enjoy more of the other "dark" styles of music (i.e. - they're not "goths", just "gothic").

Although the mainstream/popular culture has had much of both being influenced by the gothic + goth subcultures, and advertising such (mostly as a fashion style, though), that some people have happened to understand the terms in various meanings, therefore inciting a shroud of confusion between definitions and historical matters among them.
    I've seen many an instance of (youths in particular) describing some alternative subculture or community as if in the words of the mainstream culture or media, often not having done any research on their beloved subject, but I've also seen those who have had their findings in yearning to better comprehend their own subculture and to reduce the many false stereotypes that have been spread over time...

I'm not intending to seem "elitist" or anything of the like, it's just a tendency to help any understandings (as I have a passion for discerning the meanings and structures of a subculture I personally and closely associate with), because I support anyone who has an interest in any alternative subculture or community, but I have seen instances of misunderstandings and will want to assist.
    I'm not trying to tell you what to believe either, as I get that, and therefore try of my awareness to be unbiased and neutral in my explanations in providing any details I've learnt through all of my research on the subject. :)
  • FrejaFreja Posts: 159 Member
    yes! I'm here, throw that black sheet over here so I may find your creations. I choose my sims to be very dark or very pastel, depending over my mood, anyways, I believe that color comes from the heart and your outside should inspire or confuse others, so darkness is great for that. feel free to share your creations, ideas and anything else with me. I do not put myself as a goth, punk or any other fashion style sharing the same color scheme or accessories, but I do have a great interest in people who do. possibility to feed my curiosity is texting a private message to me

P.S. I am not looking for elitists to tell me what certain things are about
  • AdelineRobbinsAdelineRobbins Posts: 140 Member
    Sometimes. Variety is my spice and I don't stick to a single style for anything. Generally, I do prefer pastel. Bright. Lots of color. My style is more categorized as elegant, if I had to. Been experimenting with less browns in my houses and more blues, greens, pinks, and purples. My interests sit on each side of the extreme. I love pastel and cute just as much as I love dark themes. Just usually not literal dark clothing. I love dark stories. Horror. Macabre is more my playground than goth or punk.

I did make one Sim to look like a punk. He has the Rebellious trait, so I just went with it. He's also the first teenager I let indulge his moodswing wishes. Even so, I still have yet to use the nose piercings I've had for a while. Just don't like the way they look on anyone. Used the mods with the many hoops all around the ears a few times. I think he was the only one so far. I don't really think about the different types of style. I just try to dress them based off their favorite colors and traits or just what looks good. They wouldn't have much personality if I kept them all in my preferred style.
    "Fool," said my muse to me. "Look in thy heart and write."
    Kq8qeWk.png
    Wordpress
    Origin ID: Hoshicake
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    You do seem elitist though. And with that I'm out of here.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I'm not intending to seem "elitist" or anything of the like
    Yeah, but that's how you sound.

And I have been known to do that too.
    I spent a few years verbally slapping people with emo is a genre of music, not a fashion style, because emo is just a genre of music, and the vast majority of bands that get called emo, aren't.

These days I'm more like, Meh! I don't care what you call it, I just want it blacker.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • AvaSims4080AvaSims4080 Posts: 810 Member
    If I happen to be depressed about something, I'll always reach for the dark outfits in my wardrobe. If I'm my normal self, I'll always reach for the nude colours. I'm not the type of person to wear bright colours, I enjoy blending in more.
    edited April 2017
    I apologise if I'm offending some of you with a seemingly "elitist" demeanor, it is certainly not my intention.. Plus, I like seeing those wanting to be a part of an alternative subculture or community (whether or not they decide to label themselves).
    I tend to have an established passion for a range of subcultures I can personally relate to; to enjoy researching and understanding the history of such. I'm just concerned about the false stereotypes that have been developed (via the media)...
    If one were obligated or desires to really use a label on themselves (rather than just ignoring labels), then I would just imagine that they at least know what the label means, instead of making a guess or deeming the assumed stereotypes true. Otherwise, just disregarding whatever label to personally identify with the most is just as great, and I support that too.

But, to be honest, what I've been describing is not elitism (which has been often and easily used being far from it's actual definition), it is fact. It's not like I'm saying "if you like the color pink, then you're obviously not gothic" -- that's elitism. I was merely explaining definitions and if I'm an elitist, I would be claiming that one cannot be gothic if they like non-gothic things, or anything along the lines of such. They are just not "whatever-one-wants-it-to-mean" terms, or they would have no meaning/would not exist.
    Post edited by IndustrialxGoth on
    edited April 2017
    A note about the mention of my "Alternative" SP idea as mentioned in my first post in this thread -- it has an individual discussion/thread here (if you want to see its extensive details or suggest something in regards to it or just to comment on it):
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/916007/alternative-sp-concept-of-the-subcultures-fashion-styles-etc
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    edited April 2017
    I like Bella Goth - does that count?

ts4_render_bella_goth.png
    ^ That is her.