Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Top loader versus front loader

IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
Ok I think we have decided laundry has be be in this pack, so now it's time to start voting on the mechanics of the washing machine. I will be starting several new threads:

1) a thread for people who want top loaders to show their support
2) one for supporters of front loaders
3) a thread for laundry liquid
4) a thread for those who think laundry powder is better
5) for those who can talk about the benefits of one of those non-detergent balls. Oh absolutely it has to be this - much more eco-friendly.
6) a thread for whether the laundry liquid should be combined with softener.

Anything I have left out?

PS I could end up hoist by my own petard, and banned....

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited April 2017
    I prefer laundry pods. Just throw it in and go. Now we just need dryer pods.

ETA:You left out those who might want stacked units.
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited April 2017
    LOL :D I understand what you're saying.
    Though I think one of main reasons so many simmers voted for the theme was probably the fact that laundry was listed as a possible object.
    It most likely wouldn't have had as many votes and won if it wasn't listed. ;) Hence the enthusiasm.
    Personally I didn't list Eco living very high - I wanted the dangerous stuff pack. However now that it won I feel that I might just aswell talk about what I want for laundry, since it was listed and probably will be added. :D
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited April 2017
    You forgot: A thread for those who can't figure out where the missing sock went? :D

Edit: I prefer stacked, saves space
    $_20.JPG
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    If laundry is added, a front loader makes more sense than a top loader:
    a. It uses less water, thus is closer to fitting with the theme of eco freindly.
    b. The same animations can be used for a dryer, freeing up the posibility of animations for fun things, that don't involve chores.
    c. the washing machine bike is a front loader, it's also the most eco friendly washing machine you're likely to find.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    IngeJones wrote: »
    Ok I think we have decided laundry has be be in this pack, so now it's time to start voting on the mechanics of the washing machine. I will be starting several new threads:

1) a thread for people who want top loaders to show their support
    2) one for supporters of front loaders
    3) a thread for laundry liquid
    4) a thread for those who think laundry powder is better
    5) for those who can talk about the benefits of one of those non-detergent balls. Oh absolutely it has to be this - much more eco-friendly.
    6) a thread for whether the laundry liquid should be combined with softener.

Anything I have left out?

PS I could end up hoist by my own petard, and banned....

1) I think the washers and dryers should be front loaders. The same animation could be used for both and it may be even be the same animation that is already in the game for dishwashers.

2) I would prefer liquid soap. I would prefer that it be combined with softener, but since I am not a serious simmer, I am sure that some players may want to have to add the softener during the wash time for realism. I guess there could be an option on the dryer when you click on it to use a dryer sheet.

3) What about a laundry mat? Would the washers and dryers be the same as the ones for sim's homes? Or would they be coin-operated? I would still want front loaders, but would like to see a tweaking of the animation for putting in the coins. Also, clothes would have to be dried at least twice (you know how it is when you have to use the laundry mat, clothes are always still damp). Vending machine at the venue for detergent and dryer sheets. Also snacks and drinks.

4) toddlers playing and sleeping in the washer and dryer.

5) Lint having a chance to catch on fire.

6) Laundry mats being a place to pick up other men or woman.

• Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    edited April 2017
    Can't forget the option for bleach. And of course, dryer sheets. And everything needs to have a fragrance-free, hypoallergenic option. Some of us are cursed with allergies and sensitive skin.

Hot or cold? (I know, cold uses less energy, thus more eco-friendly. But hot is much better at getting things clean, IMO. So cold becomes less efficient if you have to wash things multiple times just to get them clean.) Oh, and pre-wash stain removers? Spray or stick? So many questions, so many discussions . . . ;)
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options
    midnightpearlmidnightpearl Posts: 6,578 Member
    A front loader washing machine saves more water than a top loader, I have one in RL. And hope there's an option to choose a front loader and a top loader, in TS3 they had both! Hope TS4 has the same!
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Ayradyss wrote: »
    Can't forget the option for bleach.
    that's not very eco friendly!
    And of course, dryer sheets.
    They're not eco friendly either!
    If you use a clothesline, you won't need them... or at least wear natural fibre clothing... or add vinegar to the wash instead... or make your own woolen dryerballs.
    But hot is much better at getting things clean, IMO.
    >.>
    Sorry to say it, your opinion is wrong. Hot bakes in bodily fluids. Blood temperature is the best for removing bolidly fluids (including sweat). And that really sucks in summer, cos the cold water comes out hotter than the hot here.
    So cold becomes less efficient if you have to wash things multiple times just to get them clean.
    Not true. Scrub bad stains with castile soap before soaking in warm water with castile soap flakes.
    Traditionally, castile soap is made from nothing more complicated than olive oil and ashes. It's amazing how two things that can cause stains, when mixed together (ok, the process is a tiny bit ore complicated than that), can remove stains!

Also, white garments are best washed with vinegar, and bleached by the power of the sun. People have been doing it for hundreds of years. Nature at it's finest! Good for laundry, great for the environment!
    pre-wash stain removers?
    You might as well go pour it in the frog pond, for all the good it will do for the eco system.
    So many questions, so many discussions . . . ;)
    It really comes down to two questions: Eco friendly? Or eco enemy?
    If it's in the laundry isle of a supemarket, its the enemy of the environment.
    If you could probably eat it, it's better for the environment.

P.S. Making natural soap is fun. A bit dangerous, due to what happens when you mix ashes with water, but fun all the same.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Oh boy we better be careful and make the right choice here or the entire pack will be ruined.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    :D Maybe all the options could be there, unlockable by Jasmine Holiday quests?
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited April 2017
    I need front-loading under-counter washing machines and driers, so that my sims with smaller homes can fit them more easily into their kitchens. I hated that this was not available in Sims 3.
    Post edited by FKM100 on
  • Options
    SucomSucom Posts: 1,709 Member
    FKM100 wrote: »
    I need front-loading under-counter washing machines and driers, so that my sims with smaller homes can fit them more easily into their kitchens. I hated that this was not available in Sims 3.

I was going to say that I prefer front loading under counter machines too because that way you can put stuff on top of it or something hanging from the wall. Much better! :)

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I've got a good idea. Why not give everybody Laundry as a Patch and get rid of it so we can concentrate on the really interesting things we could do with an Eco stuffpack?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I've got a good idea. Why not give everybody Laundry as a Patch and get rid of it so we can concentrate on the really interesting things we could do with an Eco stuffpack?

Or you just vote for what you want and other people could vote for what they want. There was no side poll asking us which feature we were hoping for when we voted "Eco" (it was my #2 vote). We don't actually have any idea what the Simmers all over the world who could vote on this, almost none of whom post here, had in mind. Discussion here is well and truly split between people wanting laundry, people excited for solar panels and composting etc., and people (well, me) wondering if we could get a bit of both and call it "Clean Eco Stuff" or something. You could be in the majority for all we know.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    I think it's safe to say the focus of the pack will be on washing machines - and at this rate a pack with just 5 different types of washing machines looks like it will be just the ticket...
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Or you just vote for what you want and other people could vote for what they want. There was no side poll asking us which feature we were hoping for when we voted "Eco" (it was my #2 vote). We don't actually have any idea what the Simmers all over the world who could vote on this, almost none of whom post here, had in mind. Discussion here is well and truly split between people wanting laundry, people excited for solar panels and composting etc., and people (well, me) wondering if we could get a bit of both and call it "Clean Eco Stuff" or something. You could be in the majority for all we know.

It was my first vote but I now "can't see the wood for the trees" as the saying goes.

I am a person of "the rest of the world"

I'm now wondering if there are more people in the rest of the world who are playing than in the us. I just started the game up at approx 3.30pm (uk) and there are over 57, 000 players currently online. Much more than when toddlers got added (51,000 and seems to prove that Sims 4 is getting more popular as it goes along.

It would be interesting if anyone in the us could check at the equivalent time to see what the difference is.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

It was my first vote but I now "can't see the wood for the trees" as the saying goes.

I'm now wondering if there are more people in the rest of the world who are playing than in the us. I just started the game up at approx 3.30pm (uk) and there are over 57, 000 players currently online. Much more than when toddlers got added (51,000 and seems to prove that Sims 4 is getting more popular as it goes along.

It would be interesting if anyone in the us could check at the equivalent time to see what the difference is.

I intended by that the non-English-speaking world - South America (it's not a time zone thing), much of Europe, Russia, Asia (that's a lot of people, Asia!) ... Not to mention all the many English-speaking people who don't go out of their way to come to a game-specific forum to talk about the game. I would never even begin to assume that our concerns and interests here are representative. Asia doesn't even *have* a Sims forum, judging by the language dropdown.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    Certainly, there are a lot more people who play The Sims than people who come post here, but I would hazard a guess that there's a pretty large crossover in the groups "People who went online to vote" and "People who go online to visit the forums/Twitter/etc." That could be mistaken, of course, but it makes a fair amount of sense to me. So I'm thinking the so-called 'silent majority' is likely still remaining pretty silent. Hard to say for certain.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • Options

I intended by that the non-English-speaking world - South America (it's not a time zone thing), much of Europe, Russia, Asia (that's a lot of people, Asia!) ... Not to mention all the many English-speaking people who don't go out of their way to come to a game-specific forum to talk about the game. I would never even begin to assume that our concerns and interests here are representative. Asia doesn't even *have* a Sims forum, judging by the language dropdown.

We, in the uk do not have a choice. We are lumped in with the us. We probably have more in common, thinking wise, with Australia and New Zealand but this is the larger site with all the news, so most congregate here.
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    Oh boy we better be careful and make the right choice here or the entire pack will be ruined.

I agree, I have seen suggestions already about this laundry being mandatory on residential lots. If that happens, we all better start saving our pennies now because we will all have to buy this or not be able to play, lol!
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    You forgot: A thread for those who can't figure out where the missing sock went? :D

Edit: I prefer stacked, saves space
    $_20.JPG

For real space savings, a combination washer and dryer:

3991096-Adelphi-Suite-s-got-a-washer-dryer-combo--laundry-time-0.jpg

Or maybe even something like this -- especially if it talks >:)

home-design.jpg

Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    @stilljustme2 ROFL, no, pleeezz no more talking toilets!

I had no clue they have a washer/dryer all in one :o I do like that though! Definitely a space saver also.

I hope they come in a few different styles to choose from.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    2zs38kx.jpg for me in my case it would be topload and would love a design like this in the sims4
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    I don't care about any top or front loaders, I want clothes washing by hand!
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Simpkin wrote: »
    I don't care about any top or front loaders, I want clothes washing by hand!

Oh no! Always someone throwing a spanner in the works! :p