The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think we ll get cars with the Family GP coming out?

13...Next

Comments

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Your sims can't teach driving in Sims 4 even if the game had roads because it is like sims 2 with load screen - there was no teaching to drive in Sims 2 either because we cannot see them drive they get into the road and go to load screen. In Sims 3 the open world allowed us to see them in the cars to be taught - so it's like Sims 2 and that didn't have that so neither will 4. Right now road are just FX paths and not driveable roads - even the modder who made cars could not make their cars use the road either because it's not a real road.

we don't know what they can and can't do with sims 4
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,388 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    To the people saying it's not possible to have cars in sims 4, why on earth would they ask us in a survey if we wanted a pack that brought cars back if it wasn't possible? They've clearly thought about it enough to sit down and plan out what might be in a pack like that if they did do one. There are certain things that people have wanted back that aren't possible such as open world, but in those cases we were told that it wouldn't be possible. So the fact that they haven't said cars wont be possible and have asked us for feedback on bringing them back implies it's at least possible. Personally I don't mind if they are only in some worlds as there are often places where nobody really bothers owning a car, either because public transport is preferable or everything is within walking distance. I'm not saying we will get them back, and it's completely fine if people don't want them back or don't care about cars, but to dismiss them as impossible just seems silly to me.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's not about them being impossible to add it's just the functionality of it. There would be no real use for cars in this game cause like I mentioned before sims teleport everywhere via loading screen. It's kind of like what they did with home phones. No need to have them if every sim has a cell phone.

In TS2 sims had choices of how to go places like walking,cars or carports so why not the same for TS4?
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    samlyt22 wrote: »
    To the people saying it's not possible to have cars in sims 4, why on earth would they ask us in a survey if we wanted a pack that brought cars back if it wasn't possible? They've clearly thought about it enough to sit down and plan out what might be in a pack like that if they did do one. There are certain things that people have wanted back that aren't possible such as open world, but in those cases we were told that it wouldn't be possible. So the fact that they haven't said cars wont be possible and have asked us for feedback on bringing them back implies it's at least possible. Personally I don't mind if they are only in some worlds as there are often places where nobody really bothers owning a car, either because public transport is preferable or everything is within walking distance. I'm not saying we will get them back, and it's completely fine if people don't want them back or don't care about cars, but to dismiss them as impossible just seems silly to me.

I can't speak for anyone else but for me it's not about them being impossible to add it's just the functionality of it. There would be no real use for cars in this game cause like I mentioned before sims teleport everywhere via loading screen. It's kind of like what they did with home phones. No need to have them if every sim has a cell phone.

In TS2 sims had choices of how to go places like walking,cars or carports so why not the same for TS4?

But that's just my point. In TS2 you had the option of walking to school, you had to take the bus or use the carpool to get to work and if you had a car you could drive to work. But in this game the only way to "travel" is by teleporting off the lot. I'm not saying it's impossible to do I just don't see what use it would be other than animations. If they do them well then great but if they're restricted then it is what it is.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Your sims can't teach driving in Sims 4 even if the game had roads because it is like sims 2 with load screen - there was no teaching to drive in Sims 2 either because we cannot see them drive they get into the road and go to load screen. In Sims 3 the open world allowed us to see them in the cars to be taught - so it's like Sims 2 and that didn't have that so neither will 4. Right now road are just FX paths and not driveable roads - even the modder who made cars could not make their cars use the road either because it's not a real road.

we don't know what they can and can't do with sims 4

No - don't say we - say YOU don't know. You also have no idea who here knows programming and who doesn't and how it works and what is required to rebuild a world up to accommodate the automobile programming. What part of the game thus far has zero usable roads for cars - ZERO - it is NOTHING like Sims 1 - 2 or 3 which all had a true map system and a true road system from day one. You have no idea what it would take to even add the after thought personal vehicles they added in Sims 2 in a game that had actual roads - hence why there was cabs and buses etc we could see the sims use - it was just a matter of linking their house lots to a road by building a driveway system of sorts. In all previous sims also the lots were already attached to the road system - they locked to the roads but not in Sims 4 - as there is no roads- just areas made to look like roads that are programmed as FX paths. You can not use usable vehicles on FX path first of all - never mind lots not locked to any kind of road, never mind make a drive way even.

As for the ones specifying the survey - keep in mind Maxis does not make the surveys - EA has marketing that makes surveys - and the one I saw where cars were mentioned was before the game even came out - conveniently when the devs were still stating we would have cars and toddlers in the game - remember at E3 in 2014 - well those surveys go back to those days -

The only other survey that mentioned a car offered up something like a mechanic - to build their own car - no where did it say it would be more than a project to have on their lot that I could see.

To compare toddlers is ludicrous. That is a life stage for one thing that was obviously planned from the start - the day the game came out there were place holders in the game for a life state between infants and kids already in the game. There was programming basics in the programming for a toddler life stage marked as false that once they were added is now marked true. Not a big jump there - the game was pre-prepared for toddlers from the get go - and why it infuriated some of us that say the place markers, etc and still did not get them. The game for all intents and purposed had the basics for what it needed to add the toddlers - and because it was there in the base game we knew it would have to be free. Also did it not strike you as odd that the baby stage to kid stage there was no birthday. Had it been meant to stay that way there should have been a birthday just as Sims 2 and 3 infants had when they age - there was no birthday just the awkward child jumping out of a bassinet thing. You had to realize then it was not a good solution and just a temporary link to the next life stage.

Point is the game was prepared for a toddler life state - at the same time the game has zero readiness for usable cars - like the foundation on all buildings - no garage possible - no linking anything on the lot to a road - heck you cannot even build anything around the very edge of the lot naturally so how will you extend the lot to the road with a driveway when the lot does not link to the area the road would need to be - never mind them having to eradicate all the fake roads in the game - all the fx -

Logically I don't see that happening - in fact I don't see a number of things happening in Sims 4 that was in Sims 3 for sure or even in Sims 2 - because of it very design and not a true map design as all the previous Sims games were. Still I am interested to see what they can do in this very differently made Sims game. We will just have to accept what it can't do and hope it can do somethings it never did before perhaps.

ETA

With the system as it is, the best I could see is the car is parked on the fake roads - no garages, no drive ways. The sim want to go some where they could possibly get in the car - but it would technically never move - as the point they enter the car the travel screen comes up and they will again appear at their destination on the sidewalk. When time to go come they leave - get back in the car - load screen comes up and they are magically back in their parking place. It is all illusion - but that is the best you can hope for in what is in this game.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

edited April 2017
    just because you know programing does not mean you know what the game is capable of unless you know what everyone has to work with
    that would be like a doctor telling someone what illness they have with out examining them first @Writin_Reg
  • ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    Nope keep walking
  • FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Yes! Please I want cars!

I remember the survey talking about a game Pack focused on cars where you could drive to certain destinations.

What if they combined it with a family Pack?
    What if you can drive to destination for a good day with the family? Like a road trip.

The destinations would probably work like hidden lots, but can only be accessed by car.
    a256aFi.gif
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    Sims travel by teleporting from inside their house. They don't even walk outside, much less to the curb. They are not going to reprogram the entire game just so your sim can walk outside to teleport at the car the way they do at elevator.

That being said, it is possible that they might release some type of driving pack with limited car involvement in one particular world. If they gave us a small world like Granite Falls with six or seven site seeing lots to drive to like the Grand Sim Canyon, Mount Rushsim, Route Simtysix along the ocean, etc. They might also bring back the fixer upper car from S3 and the garage décor items like tires and tools and workbenches.

They will never bring back personal cars for our sims like we had in S2 and S3. There won't even be any public transportation with buses or trams or subways. Bicycles might have a chance because they can be ridden anywhere including Windenburg, but I believe there will never be any form of transportation in this version.
    I want cars back and a great variety of car types so sims can be unique by the car they drive and yes I want the in car animations.
  • rudy8292rudy8292 Posts: 3,410 Member
    Nope.
  • JenzupJenzup Posts: 1,620 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Firstly, how are cars and family gameplay even related? Will the family go outside to the family van, crawl in and watch movies on those seat-back TV screens? Secondly, you need to get over having cars in S4. It ain't gonna happen. What is the point of having a car that magically appears out of thin air at the curb? Your sim walks towards it but disappears before getting into the car (as with the elevator) and then the car disappears, too.

You'll never see cars for sims driving on the streets because not all worlds have drivable streets, ie: Windenburg, Forgotten Hollow (do you ever see fx cars on those streets?) and Granite Falls. So please move on from cars. They are never going to happen.

I don't care what a survey says. Just because it's mentioned in a survey doesn't mean it will ever happen. There have been a lot of choices that are in surveys that never came close to being made. We don't even have bicycles in the game (and probably never will). The way sims travel to a destination is that once you say go, they and anyone going with, disappear from the very spot they are standing in. They don't even go outside to the sidewalk to "travel", they just disappear. How, exactly would cars fit into that programing (which they will not reprogram just for cars that are pretty much useless anyway)?

So, in case I was unclear, no, cars will not be a part of a family GP. Horses may come in a pack with a dude ranch destination in it so it's possible cars could come in some kind of simplified "Lets Go To The Indy 500" where your sim can drive a race car around a track, but it will never be the way it was in S2 or S3.

Yeah sad thing is even console games had cars even if they weren't like 2 or 3 your sim would get in it then the car was the loading screen till you got your sims destination.

:o They listened and gave us toddlers! Thanks Devs your work is appreciated.

And not woohoo action like in 2 I forget did three have that I can't remember?
    Jenzup wrote: »
    Yes it did with the Store Car that you had to fix up. It also let sims makeout and cuddle while checking out the stars. I want car woohooing and making out back in TS4.
    Yes it did with the Store Car that you had to fix up. It also let sims makeout and cuddle while checking out the stars. I want car woohooing and making out back in TS4.

All those interactions are fine and great and can be added with the fixer upper that, once fixed, can be sat in to listen to the radio, cuddle, makeout or woohoo. None of those require a car that is driveable and runs in the streets.
    edited April 2017

All those interactions are fine and great and can be added with the fixer upper that, once fixed, can be sat in to listen to the radio, cuddle, makeout or woohoo. None of those require a car that is driveable and runs in the streets.

So what about our sims that aren't into fixing up old cars? They can't woohoo now? I guess I could see my mischievous sims sneaking into an old fixer upper or maybe an abandoned car on a lot but YA sims wouldn't be into that type of thing at all I would think because you know they want brand new shiny things not broken down ones. Like if I have a materialistic sim I don't think they will be too interested in having a broken down fixer-upper to make out in it would/should give them bad moods lol. For some sims it wouldn't fit into their personality or story.

PS I miss the public woohoo in dressing rooms, photo booths showers in hotels sarcophagi from 2 and 3.

well fixer uppers are a fun father son thing to together
    edited April 2017

So what about our sims that aren't into fixing up old cars? They can't woohoo now? I guess I could see my mischievous sims sneaking into an old fixer upper or maybe an abandoned car on a lot but YA sims wouldn't be into that type of thing at all I would think because you know they want brand new shiny things not broken down ones. Like if I have a materialistic sim I don't think they will be too interested in having a broken down fixer-upper to make out in it would/should give them bad moods lol. For some sims it wouldn't fit into their personality or story.

PS I miss the public woohoo in dressing rooms, photo booths showers in hotels sarcophagi from 2 and 3.

I'm sure they 'll be able to do all that stuff in normal cars.

I miss photobooths period not just for woohoo but also for romantic pictures.
    You could have one sim fix up six or seven fixer upper cars, place them on a retail lot like a small car dealership, and sell them. Other sims could sneak onto the car lot and makeout in the cars when the dealer wasn't looking.

You could fix up a car and place it on your sims lot on a driveway or in a garage as if they actually could drive cars. Maybe there could be two different fixer uppers, an old roadster and a modern sports car.

As mentioned above, the fixer upper would be a good father/son (or mother/daughter) activity for sims to do together.

We can not have drivable cars like we did in S3 because S4 is not an open world. Even S2 would be difficult to copy because all worlds do not have roads running through them. And, as I have stated before, if they handled getting into and out of cars the same way they have elevators, then you still will not get the same car driving actions that you had in S2.

I hope we have some pack in the future that is car oriented, but it will not be what it was in past versions.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I want cars mostly for the mechanic career that was mentioned in a survey. Sounds like a lot of fun to build stuff and fix things. Could see myself having a PT with a Kaylee-sim from Firefly.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    just because you know programing does not mean you know what the game is capable of unless you know what everyone has to work with
    that would be like a doctor telling someone what illness they have with out examining them first @Writin_Reg

The programming is in the game on your computer. Not hard to look at it - how do you think people see new programming added in a patch they go in the game files and look. Anybody can. Not hard to do. You do know the game programing is not in the same files your saves and such are in - right?

It's in programming not in My Documents.

If we did not have access to the programming files there would be no mods. LOL.

Also - in regard to the fixable car:

As far I recall Sims kids cannot work with the dad on the fixable cars. I think the teen can in one of the Sims games, but no kids. That would be fun if they added kids to it too - as you said as an activity to help dad. That is if they ever add a fixable car.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Jemma_PizzazJemma_Pizzaz Posts: 10 New Member
    Cars in the sims would be really cool - but the coding for it to work would be sooooo tricky!!! Maybe in Sims 5 they'll really crack it???
  • x_Always_Heart_xx_Always_Heart_x Posts: 567 Member
    If you havent noticed the roads seem to go one way or the other theres no real streets to turn into, just the one that your house sits on. If they are going to add cars they it would most likely just ride off to the end of the road, and its real short. We would see much action anyway while teaching them to drive. Honestly I don't think its worth it. Let them focus on something else.