Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Daughters of the Warrioress Gen 2 - Updated 05/30

Comments

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    @roseinblack69 Not 100% certain but yours are two of the hugest ones in any case. So yes, feel like veterans and celebrities as much as you want :D I miss them too :'( And I can't guarantee that if you keep neglecting them nobody will come over and threaten you. And don't worry about the mistakes, last time I wrote from my phone it exchanged a smiley and that made the whole comment sound mean instead of funny :joy:

@Bugsie2016 Everything is revealed now :# A relict from earlier times when I was obsessed with Greek mythology is a list with more than 500 ancient Greek names on my laptop... Most of them are from that. Penthesilea was also the Amazon queen who participated in the Trojan War on Troy's side but lost the duel against the Greeks' greatest hero Achilles and was killed. The myth says that Achilles fell in love with the dying queen and mourned her death.
    For Io, Haimon, Phyllis and most of the others, I just skimmed through the list and chose the name that I liked the most for them. Much is perceived by sounds, so if I found them fit their character it was likely that the readers would find that as well. :)
    Serkon and Protego is slightly awkward to admit. Apparently I was too lazy to change into the list and go through it (you'd be too if you had given makeovers and renamed two dozen sims!), so I just invented some names :joy: *goes and hides*

Protego reminds me of the french verb protéger which means to protect. I thought you were being ironic. :joy:
  • DamaroDamaro Posts: 387 Member
    Uh, I got some questions! Lots of them xD

1. Do the Tribes take measures to prevent inbreeding? Like exchanging slaves or brides? Inviting Morones? Do they plan the marriages of their subjects to prevent incestuous marriages?
    2. Are 'Royal' Marriages (between the ruling Families of all tribes) more common than marrying inside the own tribe?
    3. Who is eligible to marry for a heir? I saw that some of the rulers married a high priestess. Is a priest more eligible than any other tribes man?
    4. How big is the world and how far are the tribes away from each other? they meet on a regular, daily basis so they must be pretty close by?
    5. How many tribes people has each tribe? (Especially Arythion?) The smaller ones like Vauros seem to have just the ruling family and no one else?
    6. How much contact do the tribes have to the outside world? There are strangers or Morones, but how much do the Tribes know about the happenings outside their realm? (They heard of Thestia, didn't they?)
    7. Do the tribes each have something they are crafting, which is very special to their tribe? (Which is in demand by the other tribes and makes them indispensable. ) Like artistic pottery, weapons, jewelry, clothes?
    8. How old have you to be to be considered an adult? At which age do they marry? Is it common to be betrothed at childhood?
  • roseinblack69roseinblack69 Posts: 4,070 Member
    @roseinblack69 Not 100% certain but yours are two of the hugest ones in any case. So yes, feel like veterans and celebrities as much as you want :D I miss them too :'( And I can't guarantee that if you keep neglecting them nobody will come over and threaten you. And don't worry about the mistakes, last time I wrote from my phone it exchanged a smiley and that made the whole comment sound mean instead of funny :joy:

@Bugsie2016 Everything is revealed now :# A relict from earlier times when I was obsessed with Greek mythology is a list with more than 500 ancient Greek names on my laptop... Most of them are from that. Penthesilea was also the Amazon queen who participated in the Trojan War on Troy's side but lost the duel against the Greeks' greatest hero Achilles and was killed. The myth says that Achilles fell in love with the dying queen and mourned her death.
    For Io, Haimon, Phyllis and most of the others, I just skimmed through the list and chose the name that I liked the most for them. Much is perceived by sounds, so if I found them fit their character it was likely that the readers would find that as well. :)
    Serkon and Protego is slightly awkward to admit. Apparently I was too lazy to change into the list and go through it (you'd be too if you had given makeovers and renamed two dozen sims!), so I just invented some names :joy: *goes and hides*

Nooo... I am really not celebrity :blush: I just like to share my stories with others... ;) And if I'll bot write Vlad will come to visit me I guess :smiley:
    Uh, I got some questions! Lots of them xD

1. Do the Tribes take measures to prevent inbreeding? Like exchanging slaves or brides? Inviting Morones? Do they plan the marriages of their subjects to prevent incestuous marriages?
    2. Are 'Royal' Marriages (between the ruling Families of all tribes) more common than marrying inside the own tribe?
    3. Who is eligible to marry for a heir? I saw that some of the rulers married a high priestess. Is a priest more eligible than any other tribes man?
    4. How big is the world and how far are the tribes away from each other? they meet on a regular, daily basis so they must be pretty close by?
    5. How many tribes people has each tribe? (Especially Arythion?) The smaller ones like Vauros seem to have just the ruling family and no one else?
    6. How much contact do the tribes have to the outside world? There are strangers or Morones, but how much do the Tribes know about the happenings outside their realm? (They heard of Thestia, didn't they?)
    7. Do the tribes each have something they are crafting, which is very special to their tribe? (Which is in demand by the other tribes and makes them indispensable. ) Like artistic pottery, weapons, jewelry, clothes?
    8. How old have you to be to be considered an adult? At which age do they marry? Is it common to be betrothed at childhood?

Great questions, @DarkRavenSoul <3
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    The picture is so sweet...
  • MrsRacooneyMrsRacooney Posts: 2,091 Member
    edited November 2017
    Bugsie2016 wrote: »
    Protego reminds me of the french verb protéger which means to protect. I thought you were being ironic. :joy:

Maybe unconscious thinking, who knows? :joy: At least I do know enough French to actually be able to have said unconscious thinking
    Nooo... I am really not celebrity :blush: I just like to share my stories with others... ;) And if I'll bot write Vlad will come to visit me I guess :smiley:

Possibly :D

@lilypadmeulin It actually decorates the wall of the Borathion palace... Which you haven't seen from the inside because the respective chapter got changed :D

@DarkRavenSoul Oh my goodness, that's really a lot of questions! :D
    ojfssz.jpg

I'll do my best to answer them. And I'll put it in spoilers because it would be too long for the thread otherwise.

They have always exchanged brides - but what once was a political alliance has now turned into a matter of survival as you say. Alexander has married the Vauros princess while the Vauros king's wife is Boras' older daughter. Others don't come to my mind in the moment but there certainly are. However, inbreeding isn't such a problem in their culture. If it's not immediate relatives, they don't care :D It's even considered good when the royal bloodline is held pure. And yes, they do invite Morones into the tribes and plan their subjects' marriages, too. Since the Chonar king doesn't have a son he married his oldest daughter to Advik of Morones who you might remember and he will have a short mention in the next chapter as well. ;)

They've always been common but in the last time before the plague, the tribes weren't at good terms with one another. After it, not many nobles are left so the royal families often don't have another choice than to marry into other royal families if they don't want to mingle with the commons. :/

In general, the heir can marry anyone. Or rather, anyone a) his father has chosen, b) who would bring political advantages or prevent disadvantages, c) has a status high enough. Priests and priestesses are indeed very prestigious, but that is not only caused by their function but also the fact that only nobles are allowed to serve the gods in the first place. Conclusion: if a king (like Boras) marries a priestess, she's blue-blooded anyway. :D

Do you want that in kilometers? :cold_sweat: I figured they were an hour or two away from the council's place which is the mid of all their territories. Their lands reaches out away from it, so every tribe has enough space for agriculture etc. Don't know if that's possible though :relaxed:

Ouch. :D You remind me of that I claimed the Vauros to "simply not have a young man" somewhere in the beginning and in the meantime, I regret that statement very much. :# They're 9 ingame, two of them former Morones that I decided should become Vauros... So they wouldn't die out :D The Arythions are 22, not considering that all of the tribes are supposed to have slaves that would go beyond the scope of the game's sim count. So those who actually appear in the story are only the more important ones, nobles, priests, warriors, of elevated social rank.
    Before the plague, the Arythions may have counted a few hundred people and the smallest tribe, the Vauros, maybe a hundred. Now the Arythions might be still 80-100 free tribe members and the Vauros 30.

They live in a rather secluded and remote area, especially since the surrounding tribes heard 50 years ago that there was a plague...
    In the meantime, some merchants have resumed their trade routes and that's the main contact and when information is exchanged. The next closest tribe is two days away and the next slave hold one and a half day. Again, no idea if that geography is realistic. :D That they've heard of Thestia is due to Zeuxippe's grandmother. When she came there, of course she brought the Amazon legends with her and also the tales of the great queens. In addition she always tried to keep up to date with what was going on in the Amazon territories. Zeuxippe isn't so keen in that regard since she's grown up there.

Your question are so great, and I did - hand to heart - never think about this one because obviously Penthesilea doesn't have anything to trade so it isn't that important. To avoid any contradiction to future statements, I'll just give you what I already know.
    To a large extent, all of the tribes are self-sustaining. The Dekanos are famous for their wine and quality slaves although the breed of the latter suffered a huge throwback after the plague. Boras' tribe mainly invests their effort in agriculture and cultivation of grain because they have the large, plain land for that. Most of the surrounding woods belong to the Arythions so they sell lumber and game and a lot of artistic products such as pottery and statues. Also, they have the most skilled craftsmen and hold the right of road toll on the trade routes. The only ones who don't really live off their land are the two Amazon tribes - they're mainly the other tribes' mercenaries and get money and goods for vowing loyalty and in Penthesilea's case for training the warriors.

Engagements at childhood are relatively common among the nobles while the commons mostly choose when their children come at age.
    The limiting age is 18 for men although they already learn their profession since childhood and 16 for women. However, many girls will be married earlier already so they're taken care of and because their biological time frame is shorter. Men should be married when they're 30 but it isn't uncommon if it's earlier. Serkon was a bit late with his 36 and I promise his bride was a few years older than 16 as well :D Common people tend to marry even earlier though (and die earlier, too)

I do hope the answers satisfied you. Let me say that I simply loved all of your questions! <3 Thank you for so much interest in that small world! Especially since as a reader I'm not good at thinking of questions at all even when I want to.
    Post edited by MrsRacooney on
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    edited November 2017
    Another question for you:
    Do you have nicknames for your characters? Or do you always refer to them as their names when you're thinking about them or planning a chapter?
    Do you have nicknames for your characters? Or do you always refer to them as their names when you're thinking about them or planning a chapter?

Most of them have names short enough so that they don't need a nickname. Shorten "Phyllis" or "Serkon"? Would sound weird in my opinion :D And you already know Lyta's nickname. The only other one that sometimes gets a nickname because it's simply shorter to write is Penthesilea - Lea like @Marialein called her once.
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26

Most of them have names short enough so that they don't need a nickname. Shorten "Phyllis" or "Serkon"? Would sound weird in my opinion :D And you already know Lyta's nickname. The only other one that sometimes gets a nickname because it's simply shorter to write is Penthesilea - Lea like @Marialein called her once.

That's interesting. I have another question though.

How do slaves work in the non amazon tribes? How do they decide who's a free man and who's a slave?

How do slaves work in the non amazon tribes? How do they decide who's a free man and who's a slave?

Phew, you're curious. :sweat_smile:
    Normally, a slave is already born a slave - which means, by both parents unfree. If only the mother's a slave, the father of a child can choose if he wants them to be free (and of lower social rank than his legal children) or not. That only the father's a slave would most likely only occur in Amazon tribes and the rules for that case are clear, I think.
    Also, originally free people can be sold into slavery and if a member of a tribe visits a slave market, they won't ask about the origin of their "purchase". Those can either be sold because they had too many debts, be war prisoners or kidnapped.
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26

Phew, you're curious. :sweat_smile:
    Normally, a slave is already born a slave - which means, by both parents unfree. If only the mother's a slave, the father of a child can choose if he wants them to be free (and of lower social rank than his legal children) or not. That only the father's a slave would most likely only occur in Amazon tribes and the rules for that case are clear, I think.
    Also, originally free people can be sold into slavery and if a member of a tribe visits a slave market, they won't ask about the origin of their "purchase". Those can either be sold because they had too many debts, be war prisoners or kidnapped.

Interesting. :)
  • DamaroDamaro Posts: 387 Member
    Thanks, the answers indeed did satisfy me xD I find the world you built very intriguing and absorbing! *bows*

Another question regarding the slaves. Outside the Amazonian Tribes in the Tribes of Men, how works the breeding system?
    Are there breeding couples? 'Stud's? Is anyone allowed to breed? Are they treated like cattle in that regard or more 'humane'? Will Slaves with the desirable attributes paired up and 'married' for life or will the pairs be switched after some time?
    edited December 2017
    Phew! :sweat_smile: And don't bow, that'd be my part after such a compliment *takes her imaginary hat off*

Outside the Amazonian Tribes in the Tribes of Men, how works the breeding system?
    The different tribes handle this matter in very different ways. Of course their main concern must be to a) pass on special skills, b) pass on good looks ( :D ), c) prevent inbreeding and d) achieve the prior aspects in one and the same slave.
    Mostly, they'd simply pair off two slaves that they believe to fulfill point d). Those pairs can be changed at any time although slaves can be married! If they are depends to a huge extent on their owner, worth and character. Marriage can bind them to their owners by gratefulness - or make them lazy. Chonar and Arythion slaves may have the hugest chance to get married while Dekanos ones wouldn't ever. For the purpose of selling high-quality slaves, those couples are changed more often because the children will be sold and thus don't affect the bloodline within the tribe.
    The treatment varies from tribe to tribe (and owner) as well. Chonar slaves are almost viewed as family members yet still unfree, while Vauros slaves are indeed not much more than cattle :/ The Arythions are mostly ignored by the free tribe members but don't have a bad life, and Dekanos ones are treated very strictly.
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    Another question:
    How do the tribes deal with sickness or plague?
    edited December 2017
    Another question:
    How do the tribes deal with sickness or plague?

That would heavily depend on the sort of sickness/plague and the current leaders, mostly the Arythion one. Evandros would handle that situation completely different from Alexander, f.e. But you can expect quarantine in most cases and of course attempts to find a treatment.
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    Uni and the pre-Christmas period are really stressing me out and it won't get better within the next two years. There will be more time between the updates and they'll be irregular, just so you know.
    But for now, lean back and enjoy the hot beverage of your choice (at least it's terribly cold here) while others work in chapter 41!

xlavdh.png
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
    Haimon!! Noooooo! Poor Io, it must be hard for her. Where is Haimon anyway? Has he been a bad slave or something or are they building something? It's good to know some more about Haimon. It would be interesting to know where he came from but maybe that comes up later,
    I guess we'll find out.
    I brought Claude back for this one.
    Bad Haimon. You can't just plot to leave. It's not even like Penthesilia is really that harsh to you. She just keeps you in a basement at night but you have Protego so it can't be that bad.

Io is pregnant again?! Poor Io, she misses her son badly and if she had been part of a different tribe then maybe things would have been different. Who's Advik?

Penthesilia may be harsh but she can't really make exceptions as the goddess would punish them for it.

Argh, I think I might need a quiet word with that random guy accusing Io and Haimon of 'dating' for the lack of another word. By quiet word I mean setting my brother on him. Vince'll happily do the job for me or maybe Harry.

Wait, looks like Haimon sorted it. I'm good although Penthesilia is going to be soooo mad at him for that.

Io?! What happened? :(
  • madelynsims95madelynsims95 Posts: 285 Member
    First of all, I absolutely loved this chapter. The screenshots are amazing! I can tell you put a ton of time into creating them!
    Secondly, I loved seeing Haimon be so sweet to Io. I'm obviously terrified of how that whole thing with the other slave is going to turn out, but hopefully it will be worked out. Also, I really enjoyed what Haimon had to say about Penthesilea.
    "Whatever that queen seemed to think, she was surrounded by people who weren’t made for the lives she imposed on them."
    That line just got me, and I have to agree. I can appreciate that Penthesilea is doing what she thinks is right, but she has really done nothing but hurt other people since her arrival. It's weird that I both love her, and am greatly irritated by her at the same time.
    Origin ID: madelynsims95
    Stories/Challenges:
    Mother May I? (100 Baby Challenge)
    edited December 2017
    I'm with Haimon... And I think he has feelings for Io, I thought about that long time ago ;)
    @Bugsie2016 Yes, Io feels terribly guilty that she was the trigger for that situation. And no, Haimon hasn't got into mischief apart from his usual quarrels with Lyta and unfriendliness toward Phyllis :D The next chapter will explain that they're building a new drill ground but it isn't a secret. And we will definitely learn more about Haimon!

Lol, Claude, would you want to spend your whole life in a clammy basement, locked up, and be ordered around by your girlfriend without being thanked, surrouded by two children she has with other men? I promise you that Penthesilea is harsh, which is the main form of use in that kind of matter.
    Advik is actually a stranger who appeared a few times, once after the fight with Serkon. He isn't that important although he's crown prince of Chonar now. :) Also, the "random guy" accusing Io and Haimon was Machaon, Zeuxippe's master slave and father of her daughter. You can see him here.
    Good thoughts on Penthesilea, btw. You're right, she can't act differently if she wants to keep the Goddess's mercy.
    First of all, I absolutely loved this chapter. The screenshots are amazing! I can tell you put a ton of time into creating them!
    Secondly, I loved seeing Haimon be so sweet to Io. I'm obviously terrified of how that whole thing with the other slave is going to turn out, but hopefully it will be worked out. Also, I really enjoyed what Haimon had to say about Penthesilea.
    "Whatever that queen seemed to think, she was surrounded by people who weren’t made for the lives she imposed on them."
    That line just got me, and I have to agree. I can appreciate that Penthesilea is doing what she thinks is right, but she has really done nothing but hurt other people since her arrival. It's weird that I both love her, and am greatly irritated by her at the same time.

Thank you! I'm technically dead now though, but if you love it the work has actually paid out :D
    Guess we'll know the consequences by next chapter?
    Often, we can find out the most and most honest about people if we watch them carefully. You're so right, Penthesilea herself acts after what she's been taught and it's extremely difficult to quit this pattern. She knows exactly what is considered right. And while she fails most of the time, it's because of that rules that are wrong, not because of her. That may or may not make her likeable, at least more than if she was simply a mean person who loves to play with peoples' lives :D
    I'm with Haimon... And I think he has feelings for Io, I thought about that long time ago ;)

Me too! :joy: It felt so good shooting the pics of him punching Machaon, finally someone did that! :joy: Even if it was only static poses.
    Does he have feelings for her?
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26
  • SpectresValkyrieSpectresValkyrie Posts: 317 Member
    Haimon, you silly boy! Do you have feelings for Io? I don't think I could blame Haimon if he did, Io is such a sweetheart and I adore her.
    That aside I feel kind of bad for Haimon. He seems to not have it easy. Yes his creator is trying to do what she thinks is best but it can't be easy to work for her. Getting in trouble or running away might make things worse Haimon. I mean things already look kind of bad. I hope that Haimon makes it out of the fallout from the fight okay.
    ETagn5d.jpg
    edited December 2017

@Bugsie2016 Yes, Io feels terribly guilty that she was the trigger for that situation. And no, Haimon hasn't got into mischief apart from his usual quarrels with Lyta and unfriendliness toward Phyllis :D The next chapter will explain that they're building a new drill ground but it isn't a secret. And we will definitely learn more about Haimon!

Lol, Claude, would you want to spend your whole life in a clammy basement, locked up, and be ordered around by your girlfriend without being thanked, surrouded by two children she has with other men? I promise you that Penthesilea is harsh, which is the main form of use in that kind of matter.
    Advik is actually a stranger who appeared a few times, once after the fight with Serkon. He isn't that important although he's crown prince of Chonar now. :) Also, the "random guy" accusing Io and Haimon was Machaon, Zeuxippe's master slave and father of her daughter. You can see him here.
    Good thoughts on Penthesilea, btw. You're right, she can't act differently if she wants to keep the Goddess's mercy.

Good to know Haimon hasn't been sent to Slave Day Care :joy:
    Claude has a response for you

Hey, at least i'd still have a girlfriend, might be a worthy trade off as long as I still had Rye in that strange universe then i'd be fine with her having two other kids. It's life sometimes you have to deal with it, just push out all the anger into whatever your doing.
    Haimon, you silly boy! Do you have feelings for Io? I don't think I could blame Haimon if he did, Io is such a sweetheart and I adore her.
    That aside I feel kind of bad for Haimon. He seems to not have it easy. Yes his creator is trying to do what she thinks is best but it can't be easy to work for her. Getting in trouble or running away might make things worse Haimon. I mean things already look kind of bad. I hope that Haimon makes it out of the fallout from the fight okay.

Io is so sweet I feel evil whenever she's sad! :bawling: And I'm sure Haimon feels the same way.
    Yeah, working for Penthesilea isn't easy. And the fact that Lyta still hates him and that he's with her mother instead of Serkon doesn't actually make things better. But you're right, any alternatives would be worse :hushed: Let's hope that he gets out of trouble!

@Bugsie2016 Oh goodness, maybe Slave Day Care wouldn't be so bad an idea :joy: But the cleanness of the tribes' compounds would probably suffer from the absence of their slaves :joy:
    Claude, you think very much alike Protego. I still haven't decided if that's good or bad :D
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26

Io is so sweet I feel evil whenever she's sad! :bawling: And I'm sure Haimon feels the same way.
    Yeah, working for Penthesilea isn't easy. And the fact that Lyta still hates him and that he's with her mother instead of Serkon doesn't actually make things better. But you're right, any alternatives would be worse :hushed: Let's hope that he gets out of trouble!

@Bugsie2016 Oh goodness, maybe Slave Day Care wouldn't be so bad an idea :joy: But the cleanness of the tribes' compounds would probably suffer from the absence of their slaves :joy:
    Claude, you think very much alike Protego. I still haven't decided if that's good or bad :D

Maybe if they have a few spare slaves not doing anything they could just send them there. Free Slave day care cause the slaves can just work while they're there. :D Maybe Penthesilia would be up for sending Haimon when he's been having too many arguments with Lyta. Now i'm wondering if they're actually building a slave holiday resort. (That would be quite funny but I doubt it as they're being watched over by free men.)
    Claude: I'm not sure either but just don't bring up my girlfriend, okay. Or well, lack of one. :angry:
    edited December 2017
    @Bugsie2016 :o Whoa, you really care for those guys do you? The slaves would surely love slave day care (or maybe not since they have to work?) But they definitely would appreciate a holiday resort! Well at least as long as that's Lyta-free ground. Although, imagine you're watched all the time in your holidays :D Horror!
    fdZPJYy.jpg
    Chapters | Updated 09/26