Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco-Living - Off the Grid

Comments

• Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    I'd love for sims to be able to live off-the-grid in a cabin with homemade-looking clothes (and a sewing machine), chickens, more harvestables, a canning station, solar panels, more rustic looking fireplaces that could double as stoves, and a ladder to make a loft for a tiny house. So really what I want is a game pack for for this stuff to be included in an expansion (maybe the farm/rural life expansion that many people have asked for?)

This is exactly what eco-living suggests to me. Laundry doesn't enter the equation really.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    rustic looking fireplaces that could double as stoves
    I'd like some like these:
    wood-burning-cookers.jpg
    plus1-the-wood-fired-companion-of-any-esse-range-cooker.jpg
    03b2cbbcda2f4e2ffb4103a15d7d3c04.jpg
    45194a2aee5568eb51c3471c3cd73f9b.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    One thing wood and coal stoves aren't is eco-friendly. I'd like them too, mind you, but to me they'd fit more with a farming theme,for playing pioneer.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    How do you see off the grid cooking then, @luthienrising?
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @Erica87
    A solar stove is an option

new_solsource500.jpg
    solar-oven-gosun.jpg
    the-power-of-solar-cookers-700x518_0.jpg

And this one stays hot after dark
    1682812-slide-wilson-solar-grill-4_opt1.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • CandacisCandacis Posts: 186 Member
    Yeah, there are so many great ideas about living off the grid, that this would fill a game pack. But this being a stuff pack, I think, they will add only 1-2 new gameplay things. So, one has to think long and hard what this should be in terms of

a) most thematic for eco-living
    b) most useful in terms of new gameplay
    c) not too similiar to other forms of gameplay
    d) not too complicated and big for the scope of a stuff pack

While I would love to see a chicken coop, I fear, it isn't the ideal fit for a eco-living thing and maybe too complicated for a simple feature. And Canning is a great idea, but we already have so many eating/drinking related gameplay features. Especially stuff packs have already added various drinking/eating gameplay objects. Popcorn, Icecream, Ice Tea Pitcher etc.

This is the reason, why I would tend to pick a Sewing or Knitting skill. I could imagine that they would wand to reserve a sewing skill for a high-fashion gameplay aspect later on, but knitting would fit right in with a eco-friendly/hippie/living off the grid thing. It also doesn't require a sewing machine.
    It would also be something that would be great for elder sims.
    The only problem could be, that the developers need to create various outfits for that skill and Graham said in another thread that the CAS things for stuff packs are outsourced and not closely tied together with the team that works on build/buy objects.
  • Erica87Erica87 Posts: 743 Member
    Oooh, solar stoves are amazing! I didn't even know those existed. I'd like the object to either be a compost or knitting though. Knitting could be fantastic for some of the clothing items I posted in the inspiration thread but decorative items can be knitted as well, for example there's knitted plant holders and stuff like that. A windmill and solar panels are a definitive must but they're not really gameplay items.
    CURRENTLY PLAYING: Forum mafias & Minecraft, mainly.
    Taking a break from the sims for a while!
    edited April 2017
    Erica87 wrote: »

Off the grid? I thought we were talking "eco" here. Off the grid eco cooking is locally generated hydro or wind or solar power. It's not burning stuff - there's nothing eco-friendly about burning stuff. Off the grid generally is not necessarily eco-friendly. It can involve using more resources because resources aren't being efficiently shared.

Anyway, while I see and empathize with the "off the grid" desire, I really don't feel like the options presented to us for gameplay in the poll were going that direction overall.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • KAZEINWONDERLANDKAZEINWONDERLAND Posts: 19 New Member
    Erica87 wrote: »

Off the grid? I thought we were talking "eco" here. Off the grid eco cooking is locally generated hydro or wind or solar power. It's not burning stuff - there's nothing eco-friendly about burning stuff. Off the grid generally is not necessarily eco-friendly. It can involve using more resources because resources aren't being efficiently shared.

Anyway, while I see and empathize with the "off the grid" desire, I really don't feel like the options presented to us for gameplay in the poll were going that direction overall.

Finally someone knowing that off the grid does not always equal Eco living. Thank you!
  • blossombombsblossombombs Posts: 92 Member
    I'd love for sims to be able to live off-the-grid in a cabin with homemade-looking clothes (and a sewing machine), chickens, more harvestables, a canning station, solar panels, more rustic looking fireplaces that could double as stoves, and a ladder to make a loft for a tiny house. So really what I want is a game pack for for this stuff to be included in an expansion (maybe the farm/rural life expansion that many people have asked for?)

This would be the dream, haha. I'd love items that would help people living off-the-grid. Homemade things and harvesting more of your own food would be fantastic.

This would be too big for a Stuff Pack, but getting communal baths could be cool. My grandparents used them during post-wartime to save money. Again, too big for a SP though.

Lofts would be amazing! It's hard saving space/making tiny homes. A lot of simmers have found ways around it and made 'lofts' but it'd be cool to have a legit way to do it.

Anyway, I'm excited for this! I'm glad we could vote on it too. (I really want Dangerous Stuff too though...)
    xyIcMqt.png
  • ElizabethMcElizabethMc Posts: 103 Member
    I would only be happy with the making of clothes if they were customizable somehow. I wouldn't want just standard stuff that any cheat code could show you and get you, with all the generic things, like collectibles or something. Sewing would be an awesome skill but they need to be able to do things like choose shapes, colors, and patterns. Kind of like how it used to be for all clothes in Sims 3.

If people want to do full self-sufficiency/off the grid, the next neighborhood we need should be a commune.

And not all homeschooling is rigorous. Many kids are self-initiated and unschooling is a legal thing. For sims, kids could do courses on their computers or (if living simply) there could be a teacher in the commune who gives lessons. Everyone at a commune ideally has a role because they live in sort of a barter system or whatever. The teacher teaches and gets to eat.

Maybe it's getting too complicated at this point, though! They probably just want to give us some cool stuff.
    51933350_10157123903496029_4290593889716273152_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_oc=AQm2LuB9LApTdQSKlxPj0cx6XqQg9IesqTg0FX_Cs5sogqyRjcisK6oNSbsY0N0_9lwt4vNOYOiUqMNjNLvZACdN&_nc_ht=scontent-mia3-1.xx&oh=6ab7359b62d930c33633ffd719730e38&oe=5D5F18F9
    Check out my Random Sims Skills Generator and more.
    Homeschooling parent here. I have no idea what it has to do with the 'eco' theme?
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited April 2017
    Candacis wrote: »
    I thought, I would offer some thoughts to this variant and what could be done with it: Ragged clothing, ragged hairstyles, long beards: this will be useful for not only off the grid, but homelessness, poor people, zombies etc. - and mix it up with some independent mixmash hipster style
    New Plant: Cotton/Flax for the Sewing Skill
    New Skill: Knitting - prepare the wool, stitch or knit clothes out of cotton or flax. Of course the clothes should be wearable and sellable
    Chickens: Chickens are an easy and great way to add some Meat and Eggs to an Off the Grid Living and might be interesting for players who want a farm experience
    Candles and Oil Lamps and Fireplaces
    A shower with just a bucket, a round wooden bathtub which you have to fill with a water bucket, an outdoor toilet (not as comfortable than the one in Outdoor Retreat)
    Generator that can generate electricity, maybe not without its problems, Solar energy panels, Windmill
    This being a Stuff and not a Game Pack I refrained from too many ideas.

Hate that it isn't a gamepack. I could easily get behind this. I've seen some ideas out there where the buy items look like plain stuff and I don't mean for poor sims, but maybe plain contemporary and I really hope they don't do that. I would have a hard time paying for a pack that I could already more or less have a look close to it by what I already have. I have zero interest in anything looking plain or contemporary. I would love more appliances, space savers, and ect. which seems to be the opposite of this thread because this one seems to head toward clotheslines. Personally, I'd vote for the style in this thread although I hope they do both.

Would buy that without thinking. However, with the way they are selling everything piecemeal in S4, I would never want them together but a Farm EP and a rural life EP, because we don't get what we got with S3 EPs. They had loads of features and were well worth the money. To get both of those subjects fleshed out I'd rather have them separate. :p
    I miss the pottery and sewing from sims 2 and chickens and cows from sims 3 would love to have those back with a farmers market that would be awesome

I agree with the beginning, but not with farm animals Sims 3 style. I love S3, but not how they incorporated farm animals, although I now realize that is the only way they could add them to S3. For S4, I want a Farm EP and real farm animals that you can sell, breed, raise ect, not just look at them in a box and call that farming. Would never be happy with that. I do love the idea of sewing clothes for the sims if that is possible and pottery sounds neat.
    Movotti wrote: »
    Considering it's the only way I'd be happy with home schooling added

I'd like it if they added homeschool, but put it to where we have to order books for the child or teen and personally teach them for pioneer types and have it more computer oriented for today's sim.

Love your stove pics. especially the last one. <3
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    rustic looking fireplaces that could double as stoves
    I'd like some like these:
    wood-burning-cookers.jpg
    plus1-the-wood-fired-companion-of-any-esse-range-cooker.jpg
    03b2cbbcda2f4e2ffb4103a15d7d3c04.jpg
    45194a2aee5568eb51c3471c3cd73f9b.jpg

These look great. I need some old-fashioned stoves in my game.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    Yes eco living is very much solar powered electric appliances made specifically for energy saving, not wood or fossil fuel burning units. Burning wood destroys the planet as badly as burning anything else does. So I have to agree with LuthienRising here.

It is true though many eco livers do tend to burn wood at least in the earlier stage of building their new eco plots and all. You see it a lot. But eventually many of them do get rid of all the wood burners and go to cleaner electric solar appliances.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• CandacisCandacis Posts: 186 Member
    edited June 2017
    Since Off The Grid is in the voting for gameplay feature, I thought, I revive this thread.

I heard some people say that Off the Grid doesn't offer too much gameplay. Or not appealing enough gameplay?
    The vote says:

X87DWgu.png

I get, that this looks rather like maintenance only, but I for one am excited about all the stories you could play out with it. And it will also be great for challenges like Rags to Riches, Apocalypse etc.
    I do hope, should Off the Grid win, they can manage to add an interesting gameplay feature. Like the one I postet at the start of the thread:
    A shower with just a bucket, a round wooden bathtub which you have to fill with a water bucket, an outdoor toilet (not as comfortable than the one in Outdoor Retreat)
    Candles and Oil Lamps and Fireplaces

Do you have other small snippets of gameplay ideas that could enhance Off the Grid for you?
    Post edited by Candacis on
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    i find nothing appeling about these features i would not even use any of those features i much prefer my sims to have modern conviniance and you need to consider that laundry might come out number one in the vote
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    For myself, I use my Vampires game pack in one save as a sort of dystopian struggle for the mortals. I'm changing all of Oasis Springs to be the "resistance " where humans are struggling to survive and have secret training quarters for hunters. I would absolutely love for Off the Grid to win so that I can really add to their desperate situation with that new lot trait. And water pumps/wells that have the potential to dry up or break....omg, it's perfect! :)
    #Team Occult
  • ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    There should be a Homestead GP that features all of these amazing ideas. Its almost like eco-living but still a different enough theme that you can do it without people feeling 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and have all the stuff lmao
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    Voted for off the grid, now we just have to keep our fingers crossed :smile:

it might be laundry that wins as well you need to think of that
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

> @friendlysimmers said:
    > SilentKitty wrote: »
    >
    > Voted for off the grid, now we just have to keep our fingers crossed :smile:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > it might be laundry that wins as well you need to think of that

I think you and your desperate behind should start thinking about laundry losing, since you're the one primed to have a breakdown over it.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    > @friendlysimmers said:
    > SilentKitty wrote: »
    >
    > Voted for off the grid, now we just have to keep our fingers crossed :smile:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > it might be laundry that wins as well you need to think of that

I think you and your desperate behind should start thinking about laundry losing, since you're the one primed to have a breakdown over it.

for your info i am not the type to lose hope and i will keep posting until it is added in the sims 4 to me off the grid is useless there already something like this with the camping gamepack thats already boaring i have stop using content form said gamepack for a while now and no need to quote me back on this.

> @friendlysimmers said:
    > somethingstellar wrote: »
    >
    > > @friendlysimmers said:
    > > SilentKitty wrote: »
    > >
    > > Voted for off the grid, now we just have to keep our fingers crossed :smile:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > it might be laundry that wins as well you need to think of that
    >
    > I think you and your desperate behind should start thinking about laundry losing, since you're the one primed to have a breakdown over it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > for your info i am not the type to lose hope and i will keep posting until it is added in the sims 4 to me off the grid is useless there already something like this with the camping gamepack thats already boaring i have stop using content form said gamepack for a while now and no need to quote me back on this.

I'm going to quote you back anyway even though I don't need to :) Its interesting how you're not the one to lose hope yet you seem to expect everybody else should lose hope hahahahaha Nobody really cares what you think is boring except maybe EA but they care about how you feel about the same as they care about how everybody else who voted feels
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

it might be laundry that wins as well you need to think of that

Or you might just end up on my ignore-list, you need to think of that.