Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco living is the winning theme!

Comments

• Options
    AmeliaVampiricAmeliaVampiric Posts: 180 Member
    Well I'm disappointed I was really hoping that 'Dangerous' would win. Well like others have said atleast I just saved some money that I could use towards something else. Congrats though to the ones that wanted the 'Eco Living' I hope you all enjoy it! :blush:

tumblr_mttkub5CDa1s9a1zuo3_500.gif

My Origin ID: AmeliaVampiric
    My Sim Showcase: AmeliaVampiric Sims
  • Options
    AmeliaVampiricAmeliaVampiric Posts: 180 Member
    edited April 2017
    *double post*
    Post edited by AmeliaVampiric on

tumblr_mttkub5CDa1s9a1zuo3_500.gif

My Origin ID: AmeliaVampiric
    My Sim Showcase: AmeliaVampiric Sims
  • Options
    BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    Tanja1986 wrote: »
    As an idea for Eco! I would give my suggestion, give us eco friendly Tesla or Solar powered cars! ;) I am not a fan of laundry in RL, it's the most wasted action in a short human life. Which could be spend with other more productive things. BUT I would welcome an off the grid living style! Which would be really called Eco living. Live off the land, get chicken back and get your own eggs! Etc, etc... But please laundry has nothing to do with preserving nature or it's resources in any way... Here in California we are mostly in a drought and turning on the laundry washer or take a big bath with a filled tub are just wasteful and irresponsible actions. But to actually give meaning to the word Eco, I would think living without power, somehow generate your own energy etc. THAT would be called Eco LIVING! ;) These are my ideas for a pack that could turn out amazing.

So basically Camping would be Eco living, which I can not stand Camping either, cause 1. I despise Bugs of any kind,
    2. I despise Snakes of any kind.
    3. I am Deathly Allergic to Poison Ivy as well.
    So for those 3 reasons plus I am sure I could think of a few more, I would not do the Camping thing so Eco is out for Me, cause I would not put My Sims in the same place I myself would not bother to go, so Eco is out for My Sims as well .
  • Options
    AmyCarolynAmyCarolyn Posts: 303 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham Can we please get an explanation of how laundry is eco-friendly? xD When one thinks of washing machines, earth friendly doesn't come to mind.

Well, I mean, aren't most laundry machines these days made to be more energy efficient and space saving and less clunky and mechanical? It seems that companies are always working to improve on that. And there's always the possibility of having those old clothes lines to hang your wash on to dry instead of using a dryer, I suppose.

Yes they are less damaging to the enviroment...but the machines aren't 'eco-friendly' in any way. Same thing can be said to anything these days, TVs, computers, etc... Are they 'eco-friendly'? Not at all. But they are working more on them to make them less damaging.

Laundry machines can be eco-friendly because you can wash a lot of things that would normally create waste. Like using towels and washing them instead of paper towels or using cloth diapers instead of disposable ones. You can also wash things like dirty shoes and stuffed animals that would normally be thrown out for being too dirty.

It might be a stretch to say its super eco-friendly to get a laundry machine if you didnt have one but if you already had one, there are eco-friendly habits you could practice by using the washing machine.
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Woah woah woah...how did Starter Home get placed in 2nd place? The most time I've seen it was in 3rd or 4th mostly...heck even fifth. How exactly did it get 2nd?

Where did you see it in 2nd? Here on the forum? The poll was world wide.

'here's the order each theme placed in...

1. Eco Living
    2. Starter Home
    3. Dangerous
    4. Wedding
    5. Arcade' :)
    I"d rather have arcade stuff I dread the day this pack comes out and we have to something I hate doing at home. :|

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options
    Mycatjake1Mycatjake1 Posts: 61 Member
    Not gonna lie, I'm a bit disappointed that dangerous stuff and starter home stuff didn't win. But I can work with eco living.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    @SimGuruGraham
    Combine the top winners, give us an Eco Friendly Starter Home!
    I hope they add a Home Depot so we can improve our gardening.

You spelled Bunnings wrong.
    Get your gardening stuff, and a snag on the way out.
    37973F7D00000578-3759141-image-m-25_1472177563827.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    @SimGuruGraham
    Combine the top winners, give us an Eco Friendly Starter Home!
    I hope they add a Home Depot so we can improve our gardening.

You spelled Bunnings wrong.
    Get your gardening stuff, and a snag on the way out.
    37973F7D00000578-3759141-image-m-25_1472177563827.jpg
  • Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    I don't think most people really know what eco living actually means. It ain't washers and dryers. Sims beating their clothes on a rock and hanging them on a line to dry in the fresh air and sunshine is closer to the point.

I have a bad feeling that these discussions are going to turn into who can throw the most P.C. terms at the wall to see if they stick. Eco living, going green, sustainability, anti-green washing, etc. Should be fun to watch.

The first time I've actually agreed with you :P
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    EHRGEIZ_HQEHRGEIZ_HQ Posts: 8 New Member
    Wow, man. I can't believe laundry day came in first place, while arcades came in dead last. I don't think I could be more disappointed with this outcome. This may actually be the first pack I skip...

At least SimGuruGraham has already said that just because a pack you voted for didn't win, doesn't mean it's been taken off the list completely. More like, put on hold for the time being. But seriously, arcades got last place??? I can't believe we live in a world where people would rather do laundry than spend a day at the arcade with your closest friends. I just can't wrap my head around that.
  • Options
    HannahcleolaHannahcleola Posts: 252 Member
    Eco? Ecosystem, nature, perhaps seasons? *hint hint* they all go hand in hand. EA please lets go in the direction of seasons! Jazz it up with new plants and wild life! @SimGuruGraham
  • Options
    YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    I better be able to dig a hole and angry poop In it or I'm so done.
  • Options
    AkiraAnubiseAkiraAnubise Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2017
    knew it would win, the gurus and the people lusting for something as boring, and adds no game play as laundry wanted it that way. It was the first one the list and stayed first. I voted Dangerous because this game needs more dangerous things. That actually adds gameplay that can be used over and over with out feeling repetitive. This game needs some thrill in it and laundary is not a thrill its a chore that gets boring after one time. I don't even think we will get any of the others pack for the simple fact is they want a happy game with no real danger or Grim woohoo. This is not going to be living off the grid, or living one with the environment it's a glorified chore pack with laundry as the only gameplay item, after all that's all the team and simmers want (even though it is never eco-friendly).

They may say eco-friendly but companies do that so gullible enviorment people will shell out money. I have a washer and dry that is suppost to be Eco-friendly that i paid 500 each for.

But that's good for me because now i can keep my money were it belongs, in my bank.
  • Options
    CreoleSimCreoleSim Posts: 334 Member
    I guess, we have enough modern stuff, the game was shipped with boxy everything. We need more contemporary, everyday things.
    8zjsc9.png
    Origin@ Simday1
  • Options
    ghilieghilie Posts: 243 Member
    I would love for this pack to go in a living-off-the-land direction. I think putting the focus on living off the land allows people more storytelling options, such as frontier, apocalypse, and other world-rebuilding stories. Last week I tried to make a house inspired by the show Live Free or Die, specifically the homestead. I wanted to be able to add the following:
    * composting toilet or outhouse
    * laundry lines
    * beehives
    * a chicken coop
    * more candle options for lighting
    * a refrigerator that only allows you to cook recipes you have the ingredients for
    * a water pump/well
    * a bathtub that requires you to add water by bucket

Someone upthread suggested a "no electricity" lot trait. This is a fantastic idea.

nZLbne1.jpg

• Options
    They may say eco-friendly but companies do that so gullible enviorment people will shell out money. I have a washer and dry that is suppost to be Eco-friendly that i paid 500 each for.

But that's good for me because now i can keep my money were it belongs, in my bank.
    I upgraded my fridge. If it reduces the power bill like I expect it to, it will have paid for itself in abour 4 years. I expect appliances to run efficiently for up to 10 years

the people lusting for something as boring, and adds no game play as laundry wanted it that way.
    Laundry lust is real, it's scary!
    I just wish theyd offer to come and do my laundry.
    This is not going to be living off the grid, or living one with the environment it's a glorified chore pack with laundry as the only gameplay item, after all that's all the team and simmers want (even though it is never eco-friendly).
    I hope you're wrong. I hope the chores are left at home, and they do something more exciting with eco themed stuff.

• Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    ghilie wrote: »
    I would love for this pack to go in a living-off-the-land direction. I think putting the focus on living off the land allows people more storytelling options, such as frontier, apocalypse, and other world-rebuilding stories. Last week I tried to make a house inspired by the show Live Free or Die, specifically the homestead. I wanted to be able to add the following:
    * composting toilet or outhouse
    * laundry lines
    * beehives
    * a chicken coop
    * more candle options for lighting
    * a refrigerator that only allows you to cook recipes you have the ingredients for
    * a water pump/well
    * a bathtub that requires you to add water by bucket

Someone upthread suggested a "no electricity" lot trait. This is a fantastic idea.

I love everything you just mentioned.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    edited April 2017
    I want solar panels and something to do that connects us to nature like graham said :D Also I want recycling and bikes to ride instead of cars
  • Options
    AkiraAnubiseAkiraAnubise Posts: 240 Member
    edited April 2017
    This is not going to be living off the grid, or living one with the environment it's a glorified chore pack with laundry as the only gameplay item, after all that's all the team and simmers want (even though it is never eco-friendly).
    I hope you're wrong. I hope the chores are left at home, and they do something more exciting with eco themed stuff.

[/quote]

I wished they come do my laundry too today I had to do two loads, let's just say I didn't do a cheer or whistle about how much fun picking clothes up was.

I would love to say that it would be living off grid or living one with the environment like (The Last Alaskans, Alaskan Bush People, Life Below Zero, Mountain Men) but sims gurus graham's tweet about how much fun it would be to add laundry and simmers needing to make some noise, and the fact that every idea is either laundrymats, irons and irons boards or modern appliences gives me little to no hope of this being anything but a chore pack.

Maybe the team can watch some of the shows to get ideas, because that's actually living eco-friendly.
  • Options
    mesonwunemesonwune Posts: 13 New Member
    Called it. B)

I knew the Laundry would win too. Graham (I think) tweeted in September 2016 about wanting to make a laundry pack, and wanted the community to make noise about it.
    When I saw the themes to vote for, I felt there was really only 3 of them that actually fit the stuff pack model (one or two premium objects, and a combination of CAS and build/buy items). Starter homes, eco, and arcade were the only ones that really fit the limitations of a stuff pack design IMO.

I feel like weddings and funerals would be better suited in maybe an expansion pack, maybe something like a cradle to grave concept. Having firefighters and burglars back, more random deaths/accidents. Fleshing out of all the life states with unique interactions and activities. Maybe also being able to plan events to occur within the next 24-48 hours instead of immediately. Wedding planner active career, funeral director career. Bachelor and bachelorette parties, slumber parties, teen parties, curfews. Grumpy elders, sweet, frail elders. Stuff packs are to limited for these types of ideas of game play.

I am happy for the people that desperately wanted to have washers and dryers back in the game, personally I don't think that having another chore for my sims to do (although it will probably be a skill they have to get to level 10), and some detergent bottles, a couple of hairs and clothing items or and having to pick up all the dirty clothes that sims will leave everywhere will want to make me want to buy the pack, but I am sure others will enjoy it.

Plus, out of all the choices, this would be the easiest to do. They can re-use a lot of animations from previous sims games, and maybe even re-use the washers and dryers from the past games with minimal adjustments.

Everything you said I agree with. Especially planning events for the future. I'm not going to be able to set up a dinner party immediately. I just wish it wasn't so happy-go-lucky all the time. I'd like my sims universe to reflect how the world is without the senseless violence part of it. Immersion is important too.
  • Options
    babyv004babyv004 Posts: 6 New Member

To SimGuruGraham:
    this video have nice ideas that SIMS4's staff could use:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FM1VpQGGv4 (I can´t post links yet but the video on youtube is called The Sims 4 | ECO LIVING STUFF PACK | IDEAS (Pt. 2)

i love the idea of ironing (after washing), sims getting affected by laundry and sims run out of clothes if they don't do laundry (like he said: it will make it more dynamic, usable and will not be a thing that you will use one time to see how it works and it's done, you will not use it again)

About the rest basically the solar panels (that will reduce the the value of bills). i like the rest of the ideas but i am not expecting much since it is a stuff pack
  • Options
    babyv004 wrote: »
    i love the idea of ironing (after washing)
    Come do my laundry if you're so into it.
    Also, washing and ironing are not eco friendly.
    sims run out of clothes if they don't do laundry
    That never happens to me. Failing to do laundry doesn't make your clothes vanish, you can wear them again without washing them.

• Options
    nightlightornightlightor Posts: 6 New Member
    @SimGuruGraham, I'm actually excited about this pack! (It's been awhile since I have been excited about any of the sims packs. ) Eco-Friendly.... Cars... gotta be a TESLA. Also thinking the battery for the house.... Now where is Elon Musk? Can a branding deal be worked out?
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    mesonwune wrote: »
    Called it. B)

I knew the Laundry would win too. Graham (I think) tweeted in September 2016 about wanting to make a laundry pack, and wanted the community to make noise about it.
    When I saw the themes to vote for, I felt there was really only 3 of them that actually fit the stuff pack model (one or two premium objects, and a combination of CAS and build/buy items). Starter homes, eco, and arcade were the only ones that really fit the limitations of a stuff pack design IMO.

I feel like weddings and funerals would be better suited in maybe an expansion pack, maybe something like a cradle to grave concept. Having firefighters and burglars back, more random deaths/accidents. Fleshing out of all the life states with unique interactions and activities. Maybe also being able to plan events to occur within the next 24-48 hours instead of immediately. Wedding planner active career, funeral director career. Bachelor and bachelorette parties, slumber parties, teen parties, curfews. Grumpy elders, sweet, frail elders. Stuff packs are to limited for these types of ideas of game play.

I am happy for the people that desperately wanted to have washers and dryers back in the game, personally I don't think that having another chore for my sims to do (although it will probably be a skill they have to get to level 10), and some detergent bottles, a couple of hairs and clothing items or and having to pick up all the dirty clothes that sims will leave everywhere will want to make me want to buy the pack, but I am sure others will enjoy it.

Plus, out of all the choices, this would be the easiest to do. They can re-use a lot of animations from previous sims games, and maybe even re-use the washers and dryers from the past games with minimal adjustments.

Everything you said I agree with. Especially planning events for the future. I'm not going to be able to set up a dinner party immediately. I just wish it wasn't so happy-go-lucky all the time. I'd like my sims universe to reflect how the world is without the senseless violence part of it. Immersion is important too.

Me too, I am tired of all the happiness all the time. I would love random things to occur such as accidents, but not violent. Vampires have helped, but I don't want to always play a vampire to have things like death in my game. I want a mean, hot-headed sim to get into fights, and not be smiling and hugging the other sim afterwards. I want siblings to not always get along, but feel like they actually care about each other and other family members. I want my sim to be defined by their traits, and emotions enhance those traits.

I am not saying that laundry is a bad idea, just that it is another "chore" my sims have to do along with daily tasks, working, and family. I do think that laundry will be the focus for this, so other ideas that have been mentioned will only be build/buy/clutter objects only (without any functionality). Great ideas about solar panels, greenhouses, canning, juicers, and recycling along with laundry would have to be a game pack because a stuff pack can only add one or two game play additions due to resources and budget.
  • Options
    nolurknolurk Posts: 249 Member
    In reading this thread, I see several instances of where specific brands and companies are being referenced.

While it may be nice in theory to sometimes have them in our games (and EA has done similar promotions in the past with companies ranging from Ford to H&M and IKEA to McDonalds to Coca-Cola to Alienware as well as even singer Katy Perry and Live Nation to name a few examples we've all seen), I'm not sure how such a deal would work out with them in terms of whether we may see something come of it or not.

This is not to sound like I'm trying to put the proverbial kibosh on the idea, but anytime you involve a major brand (unless the company in question is using it as a form of advertising), you're talking about two potential potholes that may arise in terms of either the substantial costs involved just to license the brand in question to the fact that the company may not be agreeable to licensing (as most companies are very protective of their branding/identity and how they're used or extensions and how they even may appear, with some going so far as to deny or severely restrict the use of their brand in any way). For those reasons, I don't see it as likely we may see any recognizable brand in the upcoming pack.

Another issue is how the community has sometimes responded when EA did release something that used a real world brand, where some people were supportive of the idea and liked it and another was very strongly opposed to it or absolutely tore it to shreds.

However, that's not to rule out the possibility of it or that we may not see more branded content again in the future with this game--just that I think it may be unlikely at this time, if that makes any sense?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top