Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Should The Sims 4 get more Expansion/Game Packs over Stuff Packs?

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
edited April 2017 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
A thing I've noticed is that EA seems to favor Stuff Packs over Expansion Packs and even Game Packs often releasing the former frequently while seldom releasing the latter two. This is evident in 2016 where TS4 only got one, yes one, Expansion Pack (City Life) and one Game Pack (Dine Out) but gotten five Stuff Packs (Movie Hangout, Romantic Garden, Backyard, Kids Room, and Vintage Glamour).

The problem of focusing too much on Stuff Packs over Expansion Packs is that it comes at the expense of extra Worlds (and lots) and extra Goals along with new features and given the smaller selection of lots in The Sims 4, the extra Worlds with a reasonable amount of lots is pretty much needed. As @MidnightAura mentioned, many of the empty lots will probably be used from EA's lots that are included in some Packs such as Spas especially if you didn't pay $80 to get both Get Together and City Life which includes 1 extra World each. The Gallery makes the situation worse since the downloaded lots will take up the empty lots.

I don't mind the Stuff Packs as The Sims 4 needs extra content like objects and clothes even if most of them aren't considered good but I think The Sims 4 should get more Expansion Packs and more Game Packs even if the former isn't considered good as previous games' EPs.

Do you think The Sims 4 should get more EPs/GPs?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer
Post edited by WinMacSims3 on

Comments

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited April 2017
    A thing I've noticed is that EA seems to favor Stuff Packs over Expansion Packs and even Game Packs often releasing the former frequently while seldom releasing the latter two. This is evident in 2016 where TS4 only got one, yes one, Expansion Pack (City Life) and one Game Pack (Dine Out) but gotten five Stuff Packs (Movie Hangout, Romantic Garden, Backyard, Kids Room, and Vintage Glamour).

The problem of focusing too much on Stuff Packs over Expansion Packs is that it comes at the expense of extra Worlds (and lots) and extra Goals along with new features and given the smaller selection of lots in The Sims 4, the extra Worlds with a reasonable amount of lots is pretty much needed. As @MidnightAura mentioned, many of the empty lots will probably be used from EA's lots that are included in some Packs such as Spas especially if you didn't pay $80 to get both Get Together and City Life which includes 1 extra World. The Gallery makes the situation worse since the downloaded lots will take up the empty lots.

I don't mind the Stuff Packs as The Sims 4 needs extra content like objects and clothes even if most of them aren't considered good but I think The Sims 4 should get more Expansion Packs and more Game Packs even if the former isn't considered good as previous games' EPs.

Do you think The Sims 4 should get more EPs/GPs?

I would absolutely like to see them increase EP output.
    They are averaging what one per year?
    I'm thinking we may get 2 EP's this year, now that Toddlers are in the rear view.
  • crazycat_135crazycat_135 Posts: 1,349 Member
    I'm seriously hoping and thinking two expansions and another game pack are what's gonna happen this year. I don't mind stuff packs as long as we get more expansions and game packs. One expansion and game pack last year was really lacking for them. Since toddlers are out of the way, I think it will be a lot easier too. I'm hoping for preteens at some point, but not expecting it.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I think that the Stuff Team are running a little low on ideas. There's tons of things left for EP and GP but they will come with stuff anyway. And Stuff Packs have always been a little lack-lustre, even considering how they're expected to be smaller. Face it, Bowling Night has been a flop.

Now they're trying to get back on track and get people interested again or they're all going to be fired.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    edited April 2017
    Loanet wrote: »
    I think that the Stuff Team are running a little low on ideas. There's tons of things left for EP and GP but they will come with stuff anyway. And Stuff Packs have always been a little lack-lustre, even considering how they're expected to be smaller. Face it, Bowling Night has been a flop.

Now they're trying to get back on track and get people interested again or they're all going to be fired.

The community pack won't be coming out until next year. That's 2018. Graham also confirmed there'll be SPs coming out before then as well. There's literally nothing to indicate Bowling was a flop or that they're in any kind of trouble. They're giving the community a chance to participate in the process, but there's no indication it's necessary. It's more like an olive branch.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • johnjetjohnjet Posts: 101 Member
    It would be good to have more Expansion and Game packs. While I like the stuff packs, for me I think instead of introducing new packs, they should really add more content to the current ones we already have.

I feel that the content of these packs are lacking. For example, Backyard Stuff pack, while focusing heavily on the outdoors, missed the opportunity to include pool side furniture. At the moment, you have to use lounge chairs as pool side furniture. Really. That was a glaring oversight.

The current "competition" of pick the new stuff pack, is a prime example of adding items into a new pack, that could really be incorporated into existing ones. Most of the eco pack ideas could easily fit into Backyard, Cool Kitchen, Movie Hangout or just in general normal base game building assets. Even Arcades could be incorporated into City Living, Kids or Bowling Night.

I'd be more than happy to pay for more Expansion and Game Packs, not so Stuff packs.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member

The community pack won't be coming out until next year. That's 2018. Graham also confirmed there'll be SPs coming out before then as well. There's literally nothing to indicate Bowling was a flop or that they're in any kind of trouble. They're giving the community a chance to participate in the process, but there's no indication it's necessary. It's more like an olive branch.

I agree that there's little to indicate Bowling specifically was a flop. I'd say what we're seeing....? Anyone remember when the Vampires pack got bad feedback for not offering enough real estate...? In actuality it was the most flexible real estate of any GP, so the critique was a bit misplaced. It wasn't so much a flaw with Vampires, but a general flaw with Sims 4: people want more space than what's been provided.

With Bowling, same thing. I dunno that the pack itself has neccesarily flopped hard, but I think the SP count is seriously starting to wear people out on stuff packs. Bowling probably got hit with the most negative feedback because it both marks the moment where Sims 4 is definitely gonna break the record for most Stuff Packs, and it admittedly seemed like a gameplay-intensive concept, but in the end wasn't too much more gameplay-intensive than the rest of the SPs.

I've seen a number of comments all over the place that are starting to get worn out on the stuff pack count. Youtube comments, reddit threads, this thread right here that we're commenting in right now...If I'm right, I'd suspect the next SP will get similar feedback, thus showing it's not Bowling specifically, but just SPs in general.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"

Maybe they've been following the debates and simply want to show us?
    Nothing wrong with a bit of transparancy.
    It's what I thought people have been clamoring for?
    More involvement from the staff?
    Maybe it's their way of demonstrating they are indeed listening?
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Yes.

I think stuff packs, overall, are bad for the franchise, at least when we have game packs that should have replaced them entirely. Seeing all of the DLC for TS4 completely turns off new players from trying the game. People do not like to enter a game knowing there are dozens upon dozens of DLC they are encouraged to purchase in order to get a fuller experience, and existing players do not like to be reminded that they are missing sets of DLC.

So, what does EA do? Naturally, they redesign the main menu for the third time to ensure players can directly see which DLC packs they are missing! :lol:
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    I've no proof that Bowling is a literal flop, but man if it ain't the worst Stuff Pack so far.

Stuff Packs used to be useful and even fun (Movie Hangout is my favorite), now they're just... stuff. Not even good stuff.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    absolutely yes, I was discussing the exact same thing here:
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/15662945#Comment_15662945

only for my thread to be moved and then closed for not being in the appropriate section.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

only for my thread to be moved and then closed for not being in the appropriate section.

I was gonna say, that's pretty boss the way they explicitly moved it to that section and then locked it for not being appropriately positive for that subsection. Laughed pretty hard at that.

I know it's probably an honest mistake on behalf of the mods/Drake, butI still found it hilarious. It looks like some kind of hilarious, desperate coverup even if it's clearly not. Imagine if one of us magically uncovered some scandal where the EP budget was slashed by 80% with the intention of allowing the Sims staff to use the saved money to buy a surplus supply of McDonald's szechuan sauce and horde it to themselves or something ridiculous, one of us posted that scandal in the EP section, then it got moved to the GP forum and locked for not being relevant. Best coverup ever.

"Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »

I was gonna say, that's pretty boss the way they explicitly moved it to that section and then locked it for not being appropriately positive for that subsection. Laughed pretty hard at that.

I know it's probably an honest mistake on behalf of the mods/Drake, butI still found it hilarious. It looks like some kind of hilarious, desperate coverup even if it's clearly not. Imagine if one of us magically uncovered some scandal where the EP budget was slashed by 80% with the intention of allowing the Sims staff to use the saved money to buy a surplus supply of McDonald's szechuan sauce and horde it to themselves or something ridiculous, one of us posted that scandal in the EP section, then it got moved to the GP forum and locked for not being relevant. Best coverup ever.

I know that it wasn't intentional myself, but I'm being fairly salty about it right now XD
  • angelchromeangelchrome Posts: 421 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    Yes.

Seeing all of the DLC for TS4 completely turns off new players from trying the game.
    Seeing the buggy (and still left unfixed) DLC is a turn off as well:
    GTW: 2 years old
    DO: 10 months old

• SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    'people want more space than what's been provided' That right there in a nutshell is one of the biggest problems in TS4...That and the extremely limited game play, culling, bugs in general, lack of real distinct lifestages between teen-elder, family interactions, ect, ect...
    Users have been asking for more lots, worlds, room since ts4 came out. NOT MORE STUFF! Most of which is only there for show ,1 object sims can actually interact with is not worth the $
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

Well we're getting another GP soon, this time family oriented:

It's a shame really.
    Instead of having 100% support of the community by focusing on the real issue whcih is more EP's
    instead the complaint has to be hedged in such a way as to divide the community.

It's not only selfish it's counterproductive.
    There's a part of me that hopes EPs aren't a thing for Sims 5 so we can get over it already and stop diminishing the worth of the other packs on their holy alter. :|
  • aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    If they didn't make Game Packs then the content would go into Expansion Packs plus there would be more developers working on EPs and SPs without GPs. GPs are fun but with such a divided team it seems that EPs are lacking. SPs are fine as long as they're interesting and content packed for a SP but GPs should be no longer made and focus on feature/content packed EPs like past ones for the other games.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I think that it should have had more in the base game to start with.

Hopfully in TS5 they would do away with these Game Packs and actually focus on at least two EPs a year like they used to with a proper schedule so we know what is coming and how much to save each year rather than these random, 'hey guys, here is another SP!' which could be confusing for some players
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    I would sacrifice some of the stuff pack count/year if it meant more GPs.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I would sacrifice some of the stuff pack count/year if it meant more GPs.

I'd be fine with that as well.
    I just don't see the logic of sacrificing a low cost alternative for an all or nothing solution.

If they gave people who want to see SP's disappear exactly what they want...then what?
    What happens when they don't like the EP that's released and skip it entirely?
    Everyone loses.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2017
    I like the gp the most - one central theme at a time - indepth. Love that idea. I think we would have a lot better rounded out game with more of that - with sps to fill in the little things. Only bring out an ep if it cannot be done in gp style because it's too big. But yes - I find the gps superior to the eps because of singular focus. The Vamps are utterly amazing. Small world like OR is rather cool too. Love the Spa GP and even dine out is good - granted owner chef added to it would have made me happier but I quite enjoy the dine out experience. I keep thinking if the careers in GTW had been done each in their own gp they would have been so much more enjoyable. A whole gp for retail - I would have loved that I think if that is all they had to focus on. GT and CL I can see where they needed to be eps.

But we still need sps - like the kids room stuff is a perfect example - and the perfect sp if you ask me. I just wished the gps were more often. I have no issues with the sps being covered as they are doing. They are small enough if you don't like an idea - you don't feel like you are missing out on a lot of stuff to not get them - but if you like the theme - it is an affordable way to get Maxis stuff that does not go into gps and eps because those teams never intended to add that stuff to their packs. I have all the sps and I can not think of one I would want to not have - especially with animations in them now. Much better than previous Sims games to me.

For me and people like me who do not want non-Maxis content in their game - it is worth 10 bucks an sp to keep those coming too.

So really people - if you don't care for something don't get it - it is not fair for those of us who appreciate the content not to get the same choice. We don't want CC - we want Maxis content. To each their own.

Mason-Gamer it would not mean more gps - those are totally separate teams. Themes are already planned out in many cases - and how the sp team know the content they are making because none of the gp or eps teams were making that content for their product. So without sps - we would not have any of the stuff we got in sps and to me that would have been sad.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I like the gp the most - one central theme at a time - indepth. Love that idea. I think we would have a lot better rounded out game with more of that - with sps to fill in the little things. Only bring out an ep if it cannot be done in gp style because it's too big. But yes - I find the gps superior to the eps because of singular focus. The Vamps are utterly amazing. Small world like OR is rather cool too. Love the Spa GP and even dine out is good - granted owner chef added to it would have made me happier but I quite enjoy the dine out experience. I keep thinking if the careers in GTW had been done each in their own gp they would have been so much more enjoyable. A whole gp for retail - I would have loved that I think if that is all they had to focus on. GT and CL I can see where they needed to be eps.

But we still need sps - like the kids room stuff is a perfect example - and the perfect sp if you ask me. I just wished the gps were more often. I have no issues with the sps being covered as they are doing. They are small enough if you don't like an idea - you don't feel like you are missing out on a lot of stuff to not get them - but if you like the theme - it is an affordable way to get Maxis stuff that does not go into gps and eps because those teams never intended to add that stuff to their packs. I have all the sps and I can not think of one I would want to not have - especially with animations in them now. Much better than previous Sims games to me.

For me and people like me who do not want non-Maxis content in their game - it is worth 10 bucks an sp to keep those coming too.

So really people - if you don't care for something don't get it - it is not fair for those of us who appreciate the content not to get the same choice. We don't want CC - we want Maxis content. To each their own.

Mason-Gamer it would not mean more gps - those are totally separate teams. Themes are already planned out in many cases - and how the sp team know the content they are making because none of the gp or eps teams were making that content for their product. So without sps - we would not have any of the stuff we got in sps and to me that would have been sad.

I know but one of the other Teams would have to step up to fill up the quarter with another Pack.
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited April 2017
    There's a part of me that hopes EPs aren't a thing for Sims 5 so we can get over it already and stop diminishing the worth of the other packs on their holy alter. :|

So because there is demand for a specific type of pack you feel it would be beneficial to cut it? If you feel the worth of other packs is being diminished by EP's, or that's how you are enterpreting public opinion, then maybe take a look at the packs that are affected. Will removing expansion packs really make those packs look any better? All that would do is quadruple the amount of stuff packs we'd get, and probably produce 1-2 additional game packs per year. It's not like the packs would get bigger. Oh it would also require a larger financial investment to obtain the full selection of content.

I would rather see more GPs/EPs. There's plenty of room for expansion that the game hasn't touched on, and there's room to improve some things they got wrong the first go around in sims 4.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    I would rather see more GPs/EPs. There's plenty of room for expansion that the game hasn't touched on, and there's room to improve some things they got wrong the first go around in sims 4.

I agree. Cut stuff packs out of the equation, and give us more expansions and game packs.

If we could get the old model of every 6 months an expansion pack, with a game pack every 3 months I'd be happy. Even if they had to take a year for expansions, I feel they could really do well with having four game packs a year.