Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

post pictures of washers and dryers you would love to see in the eco stuffpack clothes line included

Comments

• Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    what would be eco for the washing machine as well would be that the washer if more than a load is being done has an option to use the same hotwater that would be full of suds in other word a sud saving washer to be able to reuse if more than 1 load is done the same wash water
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I think to keep it manageable for coding, it's looking (to me, anyway) like front-loaders would be the best option for the team - as a pp pointed out, having front-loaders would mean:
    - the ability to tweak existing animations for loading/repairing/upgrading dishwashers.
    - make them able to be placed under counters.

Additionally, the idea to tweak/re-use the waste animations for piles of laundry/collection/depositing would work well, I think, as well as possibly for composting.

This might free up more time for the dev. team to make clotheslines/knitting/sewing machines. (Can you tell I really want these?)

Solar panels might be tweakable from the dance-floors, (as currently some people use them as skylights) or just be a roof-style or a placeable roof structure, similar to a chimney/roof decoration?

I vote for front loading too. We get what we want, but it's less of a drain on the scope of an SP, potentially leaving more room for other things.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    edited April 2017
    Thanks for the fun pictures... I'll leave some food for thought.

If I were to start thinking about how we'd go about adding laundry to the game, part of what comes to mind is how much animation time we have for a stuff pack, and how we can best use it to include the right mix of new features. Do I go all out on laundry and have top loaders, front loaders, and stacked machines for space saving? Or would I include one machine that can use the same animation, and offer it with both an entry level, and a luxury model? That would free up animation time to add other features like clothes lines, washing tubs, etc.

There's no wrong answer, but these are the types of questions we ask ourselves during development.

That all being said, I don't know how much specific animation time any of these things would take yet. We have a general sense in advance if we can accomplish a feature in a Stuff Pack's schedule, but I don't have any hard numbers in front of me. As votes come in and more details of this pack take shape, I'll be chatting in more detail about decisions like these that we're facing and getting input from all of you :)

How I see animations working:

* Sims would just spawn a clothes pile when they get changed, like how trash appears on the floor when you rummage in the bin, it just appears on the floor as a drop.

* The picking up animation is already there. So the clothes on the floor just need to turn into a laundry bag, which is similar to how picking up a trash pile turns into a trash bag. Sims would then drop this into the laundry basket (like trash). When the laundry basket gets full they can pick the laundry bag out of the laundry basket (all just reusing trash animations) and put it into the washer.

* I would just have front loading machines, to save on animation time. But just be really clever with the models to give them different looks (vintage/modern). The machines could then sit under counters, like a dishwasher, or be free standing. Ideally a top loader would be desirable but it's not essential to me personally, I'd rather spend the animation time elsewhere.

* The base of the washer/dryer coding could be like a dishwasher. It fits under counters and is a similar size. The idea of loading it is already there too, you just need to add the laundry instead of a plate! The washer then it needs unloading too, so maybe this could go into a basket model or just a laundry bag. A basket sounds nicer actually.

* Also, the upgrade and mechanics options might be able to use animations from the dishwasher? Or oven?

* After the Sim collects the wet laundry from the dryer they could maybe just place the basket on the surface? Then you could choose to put it in the dryer or the washing line/rack. A hanging up animation would be nice for the washing line.

* Composting could just use bin and 'swipe' animations.

* Solar panels wouldn't need animation, maybe sparkle FX?

* Maybe Sims could hand-wash clothes in the sink (like plates) or tub?

For me I think I'd be ok with mostly reusing existing animations, and I'd even be ok with some 'swipe' animations. But nice loading/unloading and hanging up animations would be ideal (looking tired, swiping the forehead maybe?). I'd be fine with just front loading. I don't need them to stack as long as they fit under counters.

I feel like it would be more demanding on the coding. Although some things would be similar to trash/plates/dishwasher type interactions, there are a lot of steps to laundry alone. It would need coding for adding the eco-friendly features, like lowering/raising bills. And also adding a new eco-friendly trait. Different tuning for the different types and quality of machines. And if there are mechanic's upgrade options, then that would be more to code.

I like these suggestions. I would add the soap, bleach, and softener as one annination in the washer and as decoraction items and different colors for the washers and dryers too. Dryer sheets are bad for dryers so I use downey in the washer instead.

I'd also like to add that I want front loading washer and dryer, It's what I have in my home.
  • Options
    janineisabawsjanineisabaws Posts: 668 Member
    edited April 2017
    Not a washer or dryer but it relates so I thought I would mention that I would love to see an ironing board with an iron (possibly a new animation) where sims could iron their clothes if they wanted to0218-iStock_000007885666Medium-2_b.jpg
    Check out my youtube channel!
    MlaomyAh.jpg
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    if there are both option in the game top load and front load i would chose the topload washer for my sims and if i decided to change my sims washer if they wanted a deluxe model would put in there home a front load washer dryer thats the fun part of the game we get to chose what we put in or sims homes
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    Not a washer or dryer but it relates so I thought I would mention that I would love to see an ironing board with an iron (possibly a new animation) where sims could iron their clothes if they wanted to0218-iStock_000007885666Medium-2_b.jpg

Can we also have a steamer for the slob/lazy people and also a steam cleaner for couches it could be option for the stay home moms I have one I steam/sanitize everytime I'm off work at least one of my off days.
  • Options
    geminiagregeminiagre Posts: 6,918 Member
    edited April 2017
    Washer Dryer Combo (my dream one but was too exp )
    455.jpg

washer dryer combo (that's what i have irl)
    AEG-Waschtrockner-LAVAMAT-TURBO-L87695WD-A-9kg-1600-Touren.jpg?$formatz$

washer-dryer.jpg

Stackable <3
    Bold-Red-Laundry-room-Washer.jpg

• Options
    CarlyCupcakezCarlyCupcakez Posts: 4 New Member

If I were to start thinking about how we'd go about adding laundry to the game, part of what comes to mind is how much animation time we have for a stuff pack, and how we can best use it to include the right mix of new features. Do I go all out on laundry and have top loaders, front loaders, and stacked machines for space saving? Or would I include one machine that can use the same animation, and offer it with both an entry level, and a luxury model? That would free up animation time to add other features like clothes lines, washing tubs, etc.

There's no wrong answer, but these are the types of questions we ask ourselves during development.

That all being said, I don't know how much specific animation time any of these things would take yet. We have a general sense in advance if we can accomplish a feature in a Stuff Pack's schedule, but I don't have any hard numbers in front of me. As votes come in and more details of this pack take shape, I'll be chatting in more detail about decisions like these that we're facing and getting input from all of you :)

I would just do a top loading washing machine, since this is an eco pack. They use less water than front loaders.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Most washing machines are not eco friendly
    Dryers are not eco friendly, clothes lines are.
    Ironing is not eco friendly.

This is eco friendly:
    bike-washing-machine4.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    TheDismalSimmerTheDismalSimmer Posts: 656 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

This is eco friendly:

But by the time your sims' clothes are done, they're all sweaty and need to change again...trapping them in an endless cycle of biking and laundry...
    dgvibNQ.png
  • Options
    YanbunYanbun Posts: 77 Member
    I would love space safing options!
  • Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

If it does come down to that time and money aspect, then wouldn't be easier to take the washing and drying animations from Sims 3? They could possibly be polished off and spiced up and bit, that way it could/would(?) save on the animation budget, also freeing up more time for possibly added a space saving stacked washer dryer combo? And then being able to focus on other items, like the clothesline, lawnmower, compost bin, etc?

Or I could just be completely off. lol
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

This is eco friendly:

If we had these, clothes would never get clean. looool
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• Options
    MarleyTheWizardMarleyTheWizard Posts: 962 Member

How I see animations working:

* Sims would just spawn a clothes pile when they get changed, like how trash appears on the floor when you rummage in the bin, it just appears on the floor as a drop.

* The picking up animation is already there. So the clothes on the floor just need to turn into a laundry bag, which is similar to how picking up a trash pile turns into a trash bag. Sims would then drop this into the laundry basket (like trash). When the laundry basket gets full they can pick the laundry bag out of the laundry basket (all just reusing trash animations) and put it into the washer.

* I would just have front loading machines, to save on animation time. But just be really clever with the models to give them different looks (vintage/modern). The machines could then sit under counters, like a dishwasher, or be free standing. Ideally a top loader would be desirable but it's not essential to me personally, I'd rather spend the animation time elsewhere.

* The base of the washer/dryer coding could be like a dishwasher. It fits under counters and is a similar size. The idea of loading it is already there too, you just need to add the laundry instead of a plate! The washer then it needs unloading too, so maybe this could go into a basket model or just a laundry bag. A basket sounds nicer actually.

* Also, the upgrade and mechanics options might be able to use animations from the dishwasher? Or oven?

* After the Sim collects the wet laundry from the dryer they could maybe just place the basket on the surface? Then you could choose to put it in the dryer or the washing line/rack. A hanging up animation would be nice for the washing line.

* Composting could just use bin and 'swipe' animations.

* Solar panels wouldn't need animation, maybe sparkle FX?

* Maybe Sims could hand-wash clothes in the sink (like plates) or tub?

For me I think I'd be ok with mostly reusing existing animations, and I'd even be ok with some 'swipe' animations. But nice loading/unloading and hanging up animations would be ideal (looking tired, swiping the forehead maybe?). I'd be fine with just front loading. I don't need them to stack as long as they fit under counters.

I feel like it would be more demanding on the coding. Although some things would be similar to trash/plates/dishwasher type interactions, there are a lot of steps to laundry alone. It would need coding for adding the eco-friendly features, like lowering/raising bills. And also adding a new eco-friendly trait. Different tuning for the different types and quality of machines. And if there are mechanic's upgrade options, then that would be more to code.

I don't really care about the animations, I mainly want it as "legal decor/clutter",
    I Sometimes Tweet About The Sims 4
    Gallery ID: MarleyTheWizard
  • Options
    mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    Lol, I'm thinking a dryer could fit into the "Dangerous Pack" as well since lint build up is a common cause of fires.
  • Options
    MmdrgntobldrgnMmdrgntobldrgn Posts: 6,680 Member

most washing machines and dryers as pictured so far by most in this thread (and other threads) are the opposite of eco friendly
    ec·o-friend·ly
    adjective
    adjective: eco-friendly; adjective: ecofriendly

not harmful to the environment.

eco-friendly dryer
    go-green-with-laundry-eco-friendly-laundry-tips-and-tricks11.jpg?x43781
    OffGridLaundry1.jpg

for best selection of eco-friendly washers the trick is to type in "off grid"
    off_grid_laundry.jpg
    ec5be3055c22fe963d6b2eb6789ef088.jpg
    00df43fbb1ed8bb773736a2f69a146ac.jpg
    off-grid-washing-machine3-640x360.jpg?x74756
    complete-deal-large.jpg
    Off-Grid-Washing-Machines-Montage.jpg

... and no eco living doesn't mean having to go full hippie either ;)

It's little things like light through windows instead of a lamp or overhead lamp during the day; reusing grey water for watering non food growing plants like lawn/decorative trees, riding a bike or walking instead of driving (or taking public transit), recycling, upcycling, repairing instead of replacing something that's worn, having an outside cook area during the hot season so ac is used less, using ceiling/floor fans instead of ac, using a heater less (set thermostat lower in winter), making sun tea instead of using gas/electricity to heat water for iced tea, root cellars where possible for produce storage, having a home well insulated ... o:)B)
    Peace, GranMama Dragon
    Exploring life through imagination & satire since 1969.
    Save Game Often
    repair & clear caches Often
    S3 Studio
    S3 blog Story, lists of empty lots by world
    Behrooz
    S2/3/4 Randomnes
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    The things Mmdrgntobldrgn suggested above would be useful for people who want to play in different time periods too.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

I would just do a top loading washing machine, since this is an eco pack. They use less water than front loaders.

It's actually the other way around: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/washing-machines/buying-guide
    (Plus the gentler clothes-handling makes clothes last longer which means less manufacturing needed of new clothes)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm much older than a lot of you but my mum washed our clothes (four children) in the Belfast sink, used a mangle to wring clothes out, put them on the washing line and used old blankets and linen as cover to iron everything on the kitchen table. We sent our bedlinen and large stuff to the laundry via their van which came every week to collect it. Washing machines, fridges etc came much later in the uk than in the usa and were hideously expensive. We had larders. Groceries, bread and milk were delivered by van daily or weekly in our London suburb. We used our huge family pram to wheel and carry stuff from the shops as we had no car and few buses. No double glazing for us either.

I think we were very eco friendly in those days. Electrolux vacuum cleaners could even be used to dry hair with the bag taken out!
    We didn't know what we were missing and enjoyed life anyway!

Laundromats came much later and are still around as most older flats don't have facilities and need extra expensive plumbing, are shared and too small to put stuff in anyway. In the uk we cannot knock buildings down and rebuild as the us does so easily.

You can buy tiny dishwashers and combination microwaves, steamers, even a tabletop ironing board.

Lakeland uk has a lovely selection of new stuff to give inspiration.
    eg:
    http://www.lakeland.co.uk/24551/Leifheit-Airboard-Tabletop-Ironing-Board

This game does help as a memory aid for some of us!

• Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    I'm much older than a lot of you but my mum washed our clothes (four children) in the Belfast sink, used a mangle to wring clothes out, put them on the washing line and used old blankets and linen as cover to iron everything on the kitchen table. We sent our bedlinen and large stuff to the laundry via their van which came every week to collect it. Washing machines, fridges etc came much later in the uk than in the usa and were hideously expensive. We had larders. Groceries, bread and milk were delivered by van daily or weekly in our London suburb. We used our huge family pram to wheel and carry stuff from the shops as we had no car and few buses. No double glazing for us either.

I think we were very eco friendly in those days. Electrolux vacuum cleaners could even be used to dry hair with the bag taken out!

Laundromats came much later and are still around as most older flats don't have facilities and need extra expensive plumbing, are shared and too small to put stuff in anyway. In the uk we cannot knock buildings down and rebuild as the us does so easily.

You can buy tiny dishwashers and combination microwaves, steamers, even a tabletop ironing board.

eg:

I'm in my mid 30's and born in the States, so I'm too young to have ever used a washboards or mangles (or "wringer rollers" some parts of the US call them). I do build larders and pantries in my game, usually placed just off of the kitchen where I decorate with fruits, veggies and what not. Much of it is custom content since we don't have a lot of selection in the game.

Most apartment buildings in the US have one central laundromat facility that everyone shares. Until I bought a house, it was quite a pain lugging my laundry down two flights of stairs and across the street.

One thing I think the pack could add is a tiny under-the-counter all-in-one electric washing machine and dryer unit. Some motor homes have them installed next to the kitchen sink. It's attached the to sink's pipe work for filling and draining purposes. The machine is either vented through the wall behind it or there is a tube you stick out a nearby window.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »

eg:

I'm in my mid 30's and born in the States, so I'm too young to have ever used a washboards or mangles (or "wringer rollers" some parts of the US call them). I do build larders and pantries in my game, usually placed just off of the kitchen where I decorate with fruits, veggies and what not. Much of it is custom content since we don't have a lot of selection in the game.

Most apartment buildings in the US have one central laundromat facility that everyone shares. Until I bought a house, it was quite a pain lugging my laundry down two flights of stairs and across the street.

One thing I think the pack could add is a tiny under-the-counter all-in-one electric washing machine and dryer unit. Some motor homes have them installed next to the kitchen sink. It's attached the to sink's pipe work for filling and draining purposes. The machine is either vented through the wall behind it or there is a tube you stick out a nearby window.

Aah. I forgot all about the washboard! :o
  • Options
    szMermaidszMermaid Posts: 254 Member

I would like the Sims to have the option of washing their clothes by the edge of river and drying them on a clothesline, for me that would be perfect .. I know its different, but I really like this idea.
    xyIcMqt.png

If you would like to see Off-The-Grid, Canning/Preserving, and Freegan/Carbon Conscious be made in to a Game Pack or EP, sign the petition!: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921310/off-the-grid-gamepack-petition-374-signatures/p1?new=1
  • Options
    AndreaTheHeroAndreaTheHero Posts: 578 Member
    Front load washer so they can be stackable and a clothesline option/sink wash for the more green sims. The new sink in the art style pic looks designed for hand washing.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    When your child gets dirty, wash them, and hang them on the line, so they don't get dirty again.
    Needs to happen in the game
    tumblr_nqppsxjvYE1rlb7pso1_500.jpg
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif