Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Trekkies Unite!

UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
Is anyone else on this forum a Star Trek fan? And if so, which series/movie was your favorite? And how were you introduced to it? My personal favorite was The Next Generation. I first encountered Star Trek with my Grandma. I lived with my Grandparents, and every night before bed I would just watch whatever my Grandma was watching. She loved watched Star Trek: TNG and I came to enjoy it too. Watching it makes me wish she were still here. :')

Comments

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I watched TNG when I was a kid... or in my early teens, or whenever the heck it was that i watched it.
    In my late teens I got hooked on Voyager, thanks to the local library having it... I binged on in.

These days, I love the new movies. They have the right vibe, and the cast is well chosen, they have the right chemistry.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • UniquePuggleUniquePuggle Posts: 864 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    I watched TNG when I was a kid... or in my early teens, or whenever the heck it was that i watched it.
    In my late teens I got hooked on Voyager, thanks to the local library having it... I binged on in.

These days, I love the new movies. They have the right vibe, and the cast is well chosen, they have the right chemistry.

I love the new movies too! I especially love that they casted Zoe Saldana as Uhura.

I don't know about anyone else, but I liked the Spock/Uhura pairing.
  • 5782341b77vl5782341b77vl Posts: 9,149 Member
    I've always favored TNG with VOY, Classic, then the Trek Movies (1 - Nemesis). I never really got into DS9 and absolutely hated ENT. I felt like that ENT was the death of Star Trek. That "Gene Roddenberry quality" just wasn't in the ENT series :(

I'll probably catch HECK from ENT fans, but I feel like Star Trek started going down after Gene Roddenberry's death.

I haven't seen any of the Nu Trek Movies yet but maybe someday I'll check them out.

To be honest, I can't remember how I got into Star Trek (memory issues), but I was a Trekkie since I was a teenager (over 20yrs ago)!
    ...AND WASH YOUR DING-DANG HANDS!
  • lulubadwolflulubadwolf Posts: 630 Member
    I am, but i have only watch the Nu Trek movies. I've tried the old one,really, but it's seems that i don't manage to be captivate by it, it seems really good and i'm sure that i would love them if i had started by watching them and not the new one. Like when you watch a movie and try to read the book after.
    I'm going to try again later, not going to give up.
    (btw, am i the only one who was expecting star trek costume after the star wars costume in TH4 and end up a bit sad ? Hard to find good CC )
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited April 2017
    I'm a Trekkie. I'm not on this forum much anymore, but I was during my Sims3 days. I have moved on. I prefer Star Trek, (as in the Original) series starring William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy. Nobody can duplicate their portrayals of these two iconic characters the actors helped to create. Yes, I've seen J.J.Abrams abominations. He did okay with the first one, but it swiftly went downhill after that. How did I get introduced to the series? Through some very good long-time friends of my parents. We were over there for dinner one evening and Pearl asked my mother if she had seen this crazy new show? Well, since I was busy hanging out with Mom and Pearl, I followed along to take a peek at it. Pearl tried to encourage me to stay and watch it. I was far more interested in hearing their conversation and spotted a ploy to shake me off, so to speak. I was in the fifth grade, I believe. I watched for all of five minutes and then joined the two women back in the dining room. :p

Sometime after that, in purchasing some bubble gum from the Ice Cream truck, I pulled out a Star Trek card that talked about a particular episode from this new series. It was intriguing. But, still, I didn't really start watching the show (mostly because it was on too late) until it went into syndication in the early 1970s. I was then in high school. I fell in love with Spock and have been hooked ever since. I'm not too keen on the iterations after that, even though I gave all of them plenty of viewing time. I felt all alone, as if the boat had sailed and I was stuck on the dock. But none of them have grabbed me the way the original one did. This couple was also from Scotland, so I learned first-hand what Scotty meant when he would wail, "My poor wee bairns." And, sadly, I'm aware of just what Haggis is. :open_mouth:

I was originally down in the Sims3 section when this popped up once I hit the back-button. :open_mouth:
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    I like Star Trek.

I like the Original Series - I have been watching that recently.

Next Generation was okay.
  • Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
    I've Found Where I Belong!!! I'm Binge Watching TNG And Voyager Right Now, But I Plan To Watch The Others Once I Finish Those Two. Any Suggestions On Which Series I Should Watch Next?
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I have an on-going fan fic in my head about an Akira class starship crew that takes place after Voyager in the prime timeline. Former Starfleet crew turned scavangers explore the area in the Gamma Quadrant near the wormhole connecting to DS9, and find a secret Section 31 base where they were building the ship but left it abandonded at some point during the Dominion War. Section 31 was subsequently dismantled and so the base was long forgotten about until this crew finds it.

And so their mission in the 'pilot'/first season is to bring the completed ship back to Starfleet, at first for something like a finder's fee or whatever, but then they get pushed back into being an official crew for the ship and put into service doing various black ops sort of missions. :)
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member
    I've watch the original, The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, Enterprise and all of the movies. I got into watching ST because the hubby is a huge fan of the shows and movies. He also play Star Trek Online when he's not playing WoW... :)
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I love Voyager. I used to ship Janeway with Chakotay, but now I don't.
    Minx11 wrote: »
    I've Found Where I Belong!!! I'm Binge Watching TNG And Voyager Right Now, But I Plan To Watch The Others Once I Finish Those Two. Any Suggestions On Which Series I Should Watch Next?

Try watching DS9. There is a mixture of opinions on it. Some hate it, some liked it. However, I found that the series provided a unique perspective of what it was like to have different alien species inhabiting the same space station, unlike TNG where it was mostly humans aboard the star ship. If you come out at the end, you can at least be able to say how you like it. :D

Janeway was my role model for being a woman with drive. When I was little, I looked up to her, and copied her ambitious tendencies. :)
  • AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member

Janeway was my role model for being a woman with drive. When I was little, I looked up to her, and copied her ambitious tendencies. :)

Also, she scared the plum out of Fear (or a holographic manifestation of it anyway)! How is that not cool??
  • Callous_LilyCallous_Lily Posts: 198 Member

Call me crazy, but your avatar reminds me of Seven of Nine.

• ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017
    Out of all the Treks, Voyager is my favorite, tied with TOS. I'm also a huge fan of Star Trek Online but haven't played that in awhile.

What I loved about Voyager was that this was the only show that came closest to capturing what it might be if "real people" were on a ship. I never felt as though I was watching scripted characters but down to earth, ordinary people.

Like, there's this one scene when Janeway has been babysitting the Doctor for over 24 hours after he had a breakdown. At some point, he starts rambling for what must have been the 1000th time and Janeway just yawns from sheer annoyance and boredom and looks like she's about to fall asleep. And she's reading a book.

On any other series--not just Star Trek--they would've had her looking so heroic (like a captain should), standing there bright-eyed and bushy tailed, square shouldered. But no, in that scene, everything about her attitude says, "FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, HOW LONG IS THIS GOING TO GO ON! I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!! MAKE HIM STOP!"

And B'elanna's reactions were the best. Once in blue moon, when the Doctor bragged about something, you'd see her roll her eyes, like, "Oh, give me a break!"
    Yes, I've seen J.J.Abrams abominations. He did okay with the first one, but it swiftly went downhill after that.

I've only seen the third film and outside of Karl Urban (who is dead on as Bones), I couldn't get past the casting. Not only does Chris Pine not look or sound like Kirk, he actually reminded me more of Captain Pike. To me, it was sort of like a missed opportunity. Abrams could've based the reboot around Pike and Spock relationship instead of taking such a huge gamble on trying to recreate the chemistry of the entire TOS cast, which was just impossible.

EiFlric.png
  • plopppo2plopppo2 Posts: 3,420 Member
    566a35eca70ce1eafb182dfbf7fb1583.jpg
    ^ Sniff it.
    That is just so cool! I finally got my Enterprise birthday cake, two years ago. I'll have to find the photo and move it into Photobucket so I can share it. :)
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    lisasc360 wrote: »
    I've watch the original, The Next Generation, Deep Space 9, Voyager, Enterprise and all of the movies. I got into watching ST because the hubby is a huge fan of the shows and movies. He also play Star Trek Online when he's not playing WoW... :)

Whaaaaat how was I not aware there was a Star Trek Online game!? Now I've gotta check this out...
  • lisasc360lisasc360 Posts: 19,255 Member

Whaaaaat how was I not aware there was a Star Trek Online game!? Now I've gotta check this out...

When it first came out, it had a monthly fee to play every month but sometime after the game came out, the game makers did away with the monthly fees. I believe it was done because the game didn't have a lot of players playing the game because they to pay to play it.

And as a matter of fact, I am now allowing his game to do an update that came out yesterday and he didn't want to update yesterday as I was playing my WoW game. It really seems like they do updates several times a week. Or at least that's what it seems like... :)

When the hubby brought his copy when it first came out, he got the collectors edition that came with the Starfleet lapel pin... :)
    s-l1000.jpg

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online

• NetzspannungNetzspannung Posts: 2,456 Member
    To me TNG will always be the best in the franchise. I have watched every episode more times than I will ever admit to anyone. There may have been some weaker scripts in the beginning, but the cast was outstanding and I will eternally adore Sir Patrick Stewart - not exclusively but in big part - for his portrayal of Captain Jean-Luc Picard.
    If I just posted an outfit you like, I have good news - there is more where that came from!
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/956513/netz-a-porter-outfits-ready-to-wear-for-your-sims-no-cc-required
    Twitter: NetzspannungTS

we all try ...
    rosenero10 wrote: »
    1974302_230366087155641_828228947_o.jpg?oh=04fbc49a9e7c31ae51dae063554b07ab&oe=59594CE6

From my Sims 3 Illustrated Story.

Well done!
  • ts1depotts1depot Posts: 1,438 Member
    edited April 2017

Yes, it's been out for almost six years. It's an MMO in which you get to captain your own starship with a crew, fight battles in space and play out a large number of storylines that include famous characters, places and events from nearly all of the ST series, including TOS. Some of those stories even follow up on some of those shows. For example, Delta Rising is basically a sequel to Voyager. In that one, you get to learn what happened to Harry Kim, Tuvok, Seven of Nine, Tom Paris, Neelix and The Doctor 30 years after Voyager reached Earth.

Oh, and all the classic characters who appear in these storylines are voiced by the actual actors themselves.

Besides the great gameplay and storylines, STO has adopted the best F2P system I've ever seen. There are no paywalls whatsoever. You can play all of the game without spending a dime. The only thing you would need money for is for inessential decorative stuff, like outfits, pets, etc. And even so, you can just earn those items in-game.

If you're going to play it, for the love of God, don't go by what you read on the forums. This is a solid game but as usual, you will hear from a small group of people who do nothing but complain. The biggest complaint is "pay to win" and "rip off", which doesn't make sense because there is nothing to "win" in the game and you don't have to spend money if you don't want to.
    EiFlric.png
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    rosenero10 wrote: »
    1974302_230366087155641_828228947_o.jpg?oh=04fbc49a9e7c31ae51dae063554b07ab&oe=59594CE6

From my Sims 3 Illustrated Story.

Looks good, but I kinda feel bad for them. Looks like they're wearing early season TNG outfits that were reportedly very uncomfortable compared to later versions. :D But anything Sims and Trek is awesome just the same. I had a full family of Trek Sims in Sims 1 too.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • SimmerBreezeSimmerBreeze Posts: 37 Member
    I loved TNG and Enterpise