Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Apartments or houses?

Comments

• Lady_ChilliLady_Chilli Posts: 157 Member
    It is story dependant but as a builder it's got to be houses hands down.. you can't get as creative with an apartment build as you can with a house build but I do looooveeee apartments though, in fact in real life I always wanted to live in an apartment but chose to pro create far too quickly and well, that was the end of that, a house it was!
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    I have a family in each town, so there's one in an apartment, and will have more as kids grow up & move out. Most of them had been sitting in my library, created before I'd gone on an almost year long hiatus from the Sims. I chose the smallest household for San Myshuno, because of the limited space in the affordable apartments, forgetting that mother & daughter both have loves the outdoors traits & would have been better suited for one of the other towns. Makes for a good backstory though, dad dragged them to the big city so he could advance his tech career, and they're trying to make the best of it.

As for preference, I still like houses the best, in Oasis Springs being my personal favorite 'hood, especially for family-on-a-shoestring-budget play. You can find nice roomy homes at good prices there, and often the best collectibles, especially plants. I play lots of kids, so they need room to run & play, and a playground in the open space is always a plus. I also like the rocket ships, haven't quite figured out how to get one of those in an apartment yet. ;)
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    It is story dependant but as a builder it's got to be houses hands down.. you can't get as creative with an apartment build as you can with a house build but I do looooveeee apartments though, in fact in real life I always wanted to live in an apartment but chose to pro create far too quickly and well, that was the end of that, a house it was!

Be careful what you wish for, my last apartment had a 4 year old kid upstairs who thought jumping up & down right over my bedroom in the middle of the night was a fun thing to do.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • PlumbobGrandmaPlumbobGrandma Posts: 438 Member
    Always apartments as you can step right out into civilization without having to go through the loading screens. I always liked the openworld concept.

❀ нєℓℓσ ι'м ρℓυмвσвgяαη∂мα! ❀
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    I like both, but I do have more of a preference for houses. It's more flexible and peaceful. I like to have young sims live in apartments for a little while, though. Until they start a family, basically.
  • ImperialCircusImperialCircus Posts: 31 Member
    I have a strong love for apartments because of decorating. The apartments are small and packed together, but the entire atmosphere of San Myshuno makes everything seem bigger than it actually is. From a gameplay view point, apartments aren't the best, but from an aesthetic viewpoint, their amazing to me!
  • HennriettaHennrietta Posts: 212 Member
    I prefer having a house. Although I do like moving my young Sims to an apartment when they first move out.
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    edited April 2017
    Ever since City Living was released I was all about San Myshuno and nowhere else. And since the gorgeous city stole my attention from the other worlds for months I actually moved my new Sim to Willow Creek as a "back to basics" type of thing to return to my love of the original base game worlds although I'm still ending up in the city plenty of times. So while I do prefer apartments since in the R.L. I live in one which helps me relate to city living anymore I can never forget how my Sims 4 life started in Willow Creek so I'm now living in the crick cabana house in the foundry cove neighborhood of Willow Creek but in a new experience of using the lot traits for this home that includes grody, gremlins, and great soil lot traits so I can still suffer the broke down home on a normal lot!

4tgwpz3.png
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    I always start in CL. I really like living there, but after a while I always end up in Newcrest.
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    edited February 2018
    When I used to live in a house I had my sims live in apartments. that was my favorite choice. Now I live in an apartment and I prefer have my sims in houses since now I know how terrible it is to live in an apartment. I simply couldn't do that to them. Don't take me too serious some of them live in an apartment. It is just ironic isn't it.
    Post edited by DoloresGrey on
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2017
    Not being able to live on the lower level or the second level etc. was a bummer. I went back to playing in houses. I also didn't like the way the apartments loaded by looking down on several like in some browser game. This isn't the way it is in TS2 or TS3 so I was disappointed with whole experience.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • southwesternwitchsouthwesternwitch Posts: 61 Member
    I personally prefer houses. It allows for easier customization for families.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    Hmm definitely apartments (or penthouses if I feel the need to get a little more creative building). I just like how lively it is around them, that neighbors go get their mail and stuff, and I love the views from the windows :)
  • MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    It'd be great if we could build or download apartments from the gallery but lol, lets not talk about that.

@AlanSims I found that while you can't upload an entire apartment at once, you can still upload them by room. When you go to place downloaded rooms into your game from the gallery, go into the saved rooms folder, click on the room, and it will replace it.

I had just found out I can do this too, and just uploaded a redecorated 930 Medina Studios in the Arts District which you can find the pics and links for the rooms to this apartment on my profile page (click my name).
  • ZeoZeo Posts: 9 New Member
    Houses, Apartments are great for the jobs that came with the expansion, but I get annoyed by how my Sim is grumpy with the little things, like neighbour noise while I'm awake and the fact that you can do litterally anything post 12PM, or they will come knocking on your door, while it feels realistic this is a GAME and It's totally game breaking, specially if you choosed a career that are active midnights.

I do really like of hand the apartment keys for my friends, but I wish that they won't pick a glass of water ALL THE TIME that they come in, a lot of the times the water make the ambient dirty and It's hard to find where they left that glass of water (why water expires and make dirt anyways?).
  • CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    It was all houses for a while and then I switched to apartments. It's been back to houses mostly.

What I hate about the apartments is that they're either too gross (why isn't there a way to permanently get rid of the bugs and mice in those two low-end apartments) or too big. There are not a lot of in-between options.
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    when city living came out I was loving the apartments because it was something different. But the neighbours were either complaining or my sims were. about the noise. and the big ones are too big and the small ones too small for a family. and not enough of them with outdoor space. I think every living space should have their own out door space. so I now play in houses, I can choose the size and expand as my family gets beiger or they get more stuff. and I cant imaging having pets in an apartment.
  • CommaSpliceCommaSplice Posts: 171 Member
    > @feetinstockings said:
    > when city living came out I was loving the apartments because it was something different. But the neighbours were either complaining or my sims were. about the noise. and the big ones are too big and the small ones too small for a family. and not enough of them with outdoor space. I think every living space should have their own out door space. so I now play in houses, I can choose the size and expand as my family gets beiger or they get more stuff. and I cant imaging having pets in an apartment.

There's that one apartment with the balcony--it's a TLC one and it's really quite workable as a starter home, but the unending cockroaches and mice and leaking pipes make it insane. It's mostly grungy apartments or incredibly high-end and too big places.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Always apartments as you can step right out into civilization without having to go through the loading screens. I always liked the openworld concept.

You do have a civilization in your house lot as well, don't you? Also, you still have to go loading screen to visit your neighbors.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • EirayaEiraya Posts: 21 Member
    Apartments are kinda fun when I just want to do a small reno/redecorating job and don't feel like putting a lot of time into building a house. But I really hate how hard it is to design layouts in apartments, because you're unable to move things like windows and other random objects that come with the lot, like the exposed pipes, etc. And also when you try to hide those with build/buy mode objects, you have to frequently move them out of the way to fix them when they break down, which annoys the hell out of me. I love those cute, shabby, cluttered apartments, but they're a pain to play in.

So yeah, houses are definitely my pick.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    I never play apartments.
  • MythicBiscuitMythicBiscuit Posts: 32 Member
    Houses for me, I have more fun designing those :)
  • feetinstockingsfeetinstockings Posts: 4,264 Member
    edited January 2018
    > @feetinstockings said:
    > when city living came out I was loving the apartments because it was something different. But the neighbours were either complaining or my sims were. about the noise. and the big ones are too big and the small ones too small for a family. and not enough of them with outdoor space. I think every living space should have their own out door space. so I now play in houses, I can choose the size and expand as my family gets beiger or they get more stuff. and I cant imaging having pets in an apartment.

There's that one apartment with the balcony--it's a TLC one and it's really quite workable as a starter home, but the unending cockroaches and mice and leaking pipes make it insane. It's mostly grungy apartments or incredibly high-end and too big places.

that's another reason I stopped playing the TLC buildings. its a shame because there a nice size for starter homes. It would be nice if we could turn those horrible aspects off in game. I did have a mod for it and it worked well, but I felt I was cheating. and yet we can't add those cockroaches and leaky pipes to houses.
  • gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Different things work for different families. But I do wish we had more apartments, in particular some small ones.
  • Savage_Patch_KiddSavage_Patch_Kidd Posts: 2,937 Member
    edited February 2018
    Apartments cos I'm never satisfied with house builds.

Actually I've been finding it difficult trying to keep my sim in one place. I get too frustrated rebuilding/furbishing.
    tumblr_oy1xa2eHV31uvsi7jo2_1280.gif