Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest Sims 4 Mistake So Far?

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    I am not sure that EA actually did any mistakes by aiming TS4 almost completely at new 12 to 15 yrs old simmers who didn't play the previous games and therefore are unlikely to compare them because we don't know the sales numbers and maybe I would even have liked TS4 myself if I hadn't played the previous games too.

For me to see EA wanted to focus much more on SPs this time which must be because they had sold extremely well for the earlier games since they were introduced midway in the TS2 days. They are very fast and cheap to make because they don't require much programming and therefore can be made by much smaller teams. So if they get high sales numbers then they must be more profitable for EA than the big EPs are. The high sales numbers for stuff items and SPs have also showed EA that even the basegame, the GPs and the EPs can get high sales numbers too even if they contain less new gameplay (and maybe more stuff) than earlier. So EA's choices were logical - especially if EA knows that almost all sales are by or for 12 to 15 yrs old teens. Therefore I can't see TS4 as any mistake (even though it isn't a game for me) if sales numbers really are as high as I suspect them to be.

Ridiculous,
    Why? Do you know any adults outside the forum who play Sims games at all?

I don't. But almost all young teens seem to at least know the games (and especially if they are girls). So I wouldn't actually be surprised if EA should tell us that more than 95% of the Sims games are sold to or for 12 to 15 yrs olds.
  • ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    edited April 2017
    There's a big mistake somewhere. I took a break for a couple of years to give Sims 4 a chance to be improved on and I've come back to find people still infuriated by many of the old problems that never got resolved :) It's like Groundhog day.

Anyway, my fourpence worth:

Origin. What the flippety heck? That was a major stumbling block for me right from the beginning and, now that I'm stuck with it if I want to play Sims 4, can I say how right I was?

The wretched thing updates itself when it feels like it with never a by-your-leave from me.

The player has to go online to it whenever they want to play and, if they don't want to play online, scoot in quickly to put it offline while the game is loading. Some people have limited broadband or limited access to it, how about considering that?

I can't turn off my laptop easily because of Origin. It runs in the background and I have to force shutting down every time. What's it doing? Sometimes I can go back to my laptop an hour or so after forcing a shutdown and it's still not off properly.

Attention should be paid to overhauling Origin before anything else, imo.

And the game itself? I see the usual suspects already listed so I'll put the boot into careers :)

Yer what? How hard does it have to be for a Sim to make a living? I had a Sim enter the Astronaut career. How poorly thought out is that one? Level 10 Fitness required by about halfway through iirc and then a requirement to do space missions as a daily task in a rocket the Sim has to buy themselves. Where was my newly-starting-out in life Sim supposed to find 5 grand to buy it and another grand to start it off before she had to build the bloomin' thing herself??

Never mind, I'll get a lovely new one when my Sim gets to the top of the career, that'll be nice. And so it would have been, except my Sim had to build that one too.

Ah well, Vlad was on hand. He'd come out on the prowl again so my Sim asked him to help build the rocket. He did, too, but their relationship took a bit of a nosedive. He wasn't happy :D

The careers, with the daily tasks, are awful. They need a major overhaul and better instructions to the player. I get fed-up of having to use Google to find someone who's explained the various career requirements.
    Post edited by ratsrbest on
    Don't feed the trolls
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I am not sure that EA actually did any mistakes by aiming TS4 almost completely at new 12 to 15 yrs old simmers who didn't play the previous games and therefore are unlikely to compare them because we don't know the sales numbers and maybe I would even have liked TS4 myself if I hadn't played the previous games too.

For me to see EA wanted to focus much more on SPs this time which must be because they had sold extremely well for the earlier games since they were introduced midway in the TS2 days. They are very fast and cheap to make because they don't require much programming and therefore can be made by much smaller teams. So if they get high sales numbers then they must be more profitable for EA than the big EPs are. The high sales numbers for stuff items and SPs have also showed EA that even the basegame, the GPs and the EPs can get high sales numbers too even if they contain less new gameplay (and maybe more stuff) than earlier. So EA's choices were logical - especially if EA knows that almost all sales are by or for 12 to 15 yrs old teens. Therefore I can't see TS4 as any mistake (even though it isn't a game for me) if sales numbers really are as high as I suspect them to be.

Ridiculous,

I don't. But almost all young teens seem to at least know the games (and especially if they are girls). So I wouldn't actually be surprised if EA should tell us that more than 95% of the Sims games are sold to or for 12 to 15 yrs olds.

Was that a trick question?

There is absolutely no evidence that the target demographic has changed for the Sims 4
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InKXtPvIxE8

Ridiculous,

There is absolutely no evidence that the target demographic has changed for the Sims 4
    No, I also think that the target demographic is the same as it has been since TS1. But in those days EA hadn't even expected the basegame to sell as well as many other games did because it was only an experiment and a little spinoff game from the SimCity series. But it sold so well that EA suddenly had to release EPs too. I also remember how all the teen girls discussed the Sims cartridges in the stores when I visited the same stores to buy other games. Sometimes they had their mum with them and she seemed to be only interested because her daughter was.

This continued in the Sims 2 days where I also met many young girls in the game stores and especially when a new EP just had been released. But EA still seemed to believe that only big EPs with a lot of new gameplay would sell.

Then just before Christmas in 2005 Holiday Party suddenly was released as the very first SP. EA obviously only had expected it to sell a little just before Christmas because it wasn't even copyprotected. But it sold so extremely well that EA then released Family Fun Stuff just before Easter in 2006 - still without copy protection though. But also this SP sold (for EA) surprisingly well. So after this EA began to release SPs regularly - and from that time always with copy protection.

So EA learned from the sales numbers that stuff apparently sold as well as gameplay. This let to the Sims 3 store and it clearly also must be the main reason why TS4 was made the way it is because EA included less gameplay already in the basegame and has released SPs even more often then ever before. Also instead of releasing 2 big EPs each year EA now has replaced half of those EPs with smaller GPs to be able to move more developers to all the SP teams. (EA now switches between GPs and EPs and in average releases either a GP or an EP every 5 months - but at the same time releases about 5 SPs each year.) It also seems to me like EA now puts less gameplay (and maybe more stuff?) into even the EPs?
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member

Ridiculous,

Most of the YouTubers that I watch are 17+ There's plenty of adults outside the forums that play The Sims.
    edited April 2017

Ridiculous,

No, I also think that the target demographic is the same as it has been since TS1. But in those days EA hadn't even expected the basegame to sell as well as many other games did because it was only an experiment and a little spinoff game from the SimCity series. But it sold so well that EA suddenly had to release EPs too. I also remember how all the teen girls discussed the Sims cartridges in the stores when I visited the same stores to buy other games. Sometimes they had their mum with them and she seemed to be only interested because her daughter was.

This continued in the Sims 2 days where I also met many young girls in the game stores and especially when a new EP just had been released. But EA still seemed to believe that only big EPs with a lot of new gameplay would sell.

Then just before Christmas in 2005 Holiday Party suddenly was released as the very first SP. EA obviously only had expected it to sell a little just before Christmas because it wasn't even copyprotected. But it sold so extremely well that EA then released Family Fun Stuff just before Easter in 2006 - still without copy protection though. But also this SP sold (for EA) surprisingly well. So after this EA began to release SPs regularly - and from that time always with copy protection.

So EA learned from the sales numbers that stuff apparently sold as well as gameplay. This let to the Sims 3 store and it clearly also must be the main reason why TS4 was made the way it is because EA included less gameplay already in the basegame and has released SPs even more often then ever before. Also instead of releasing 2 big EPs each year EA now has replaced half of those EPs with smaller GPs to be able to move more developers to all the SP teams. (EA now switches between GPs and EPs and in average releases either a GP or an EP every 5 months - but at the same time releases about 5 SPs each year.) It also seems to me like EA now puts less gameplay (and maybe more stuff?) into even the EPs?

Of course the Sims is popular with teen girls..they probably do make up the largest demographic these days.
    Doesn't mean they made the game specifcally for them, or market specifically to them.

That's not even the part that I find the most absurd....It's this bit here that's completely off the wall.
    simmers who didn't play the previous games and therefore are unlikely to compare them

It's your clever way of saying anyone who likes this game just doesn't know any better.
    Insulting.

Ridiculous,

Of course the Sims is popular with teen girls..they probably do make up the largest demographic these days.
    Doesn't mean they made the game specifcally for them, or market specifically to them.

That's not even the part that I find the most absurd....It's this bit here that's completely off the wall.
    simmers who didn't play the previous games and therefore are unlikely to compare them

It's your clever way of saying anyone who likes this game just doesn't know any better.
    Insulting.
    No, that may be your opinion - but certainly not mine because we all have different interests and I actually don't think that I ever has met a person with exactly the same interests as I have :)

When I remember the visitors in the game stores even years ago it is also because I visited those stores about twice a week to look for new games. But I am quite sure that most people will see that is something strange to do too :)
    aricarai wrote: »

Ridiculous,

Most of the YouTubers that I watch are 17+ There's plenty of adults outside the forums that play The Sims.
    The difference between 17+ simmers and the 12 to 15 yrs olds is that 12 to 15 yrs olds have many more interests because they are so young and mainly just want to try everything before they maybe later can choose what their main interests should be. So they buy the games or tell their parents that they want them as presents for their birthday or Christmas. But even so they usually only play them quite shortly because they have so many other interests too. Therefore they are very rare guests in the forums and on YouTube. But for EA they are still the most important customers because they are much more likely to get the games than older simmers usually are.
    No, that may be your opinion - but certainly not mine because we all have different interests and I actually don't think that I ever has met a person with exactly the same interests as I have :)

When I remember the visitors in the game stores even years ago it is also because I visited those stores about twice a week to look for new games. But I am quite sure that most people will see that is something strange to do too :)

I have no idea wh.... I just... huh?
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited April 2017
    I think lack of toddlers were one mistake.

Other big mistakes I think are the fact the series has went backwards in terms of no open world and not being able to re colour everything. I don't mind it as my favourite is the sims 2 but for some it's a deal breaker.

I think the biggest mistake personally is the AI system and emotion system isn't as sharp as it could/should be. Think no reaction to death, no real caring about cheating. The lack of depth and consequence is my biggest bug bear.

I don't agree about the "no reaction to death" part. I have had two sims who died, and there was a lot of reaction from everybody around, and still is when I visit the graveyard now and then. My sims are also reacting very strongly on cheating. I don't know what kind of sims you play. Perhaps you just need to change their traits or some of them?

Other big mistakes I think are the fact the series has went backwards in terms of no open world and not being able to re colour everything. I don't mind it as my favourite is the sims 2 but for some it's a deal breaker.

I think the biggest mistake personally is the AI system and emotion system isn't as sharp as it could/should be. Think no reaction to death, no real caring about cheating. The lack of depth and consequence is my biggest bug bear.

I don't agree about the "no reaction to death" part. I have had two sims who died, and there was a lot of reaction from everybody around, and still is when I visit the graveyard now and then. My sims are also reacting very strongly on cheating. I don't know what kind of sims you play. Perhaps you just need to change their traits or some of them?

It's an issue where Sims who don't witness the death are often oblivious to it.
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited April 2017

It's quite an often issue by many simmers out there. And now that you mention traits, simmers complained they barely do anything to make sims anywho different from each other. They appear to be very flawed.

E.g, An average slob may clean dishes than the average sim with the "neat" trait. Ect.
    NNpYlHF.jpg

Ridiculous,

Insulting.

Ridiculous,

The difference between 17+ simmers and the 12 to 15 yrs olds is that 12 to 15 yrs olds have many more interests because they are so young and mainly just want to try everything before they maybe later can choose what their main interests should be. So they buy the games or tell their parents that they want them as presents for their birthday or Christmas. But even so they usually only play them quite shortly because they have so many other interests too. Therefore they are very rare guests in the forums and on YouTube. But for EA they are still the most important customers because they are much more likely to get the games than older simmers usually are.

Ahh..now you're changing tactics. Your original question was 'Do you know any adults outside the forum who play Sims games at all?' And I responded to that. There are plenty outside of the forums that are adults that play Sims.
  • lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    I just got the Vampire game pack and noticed that aging for everyone has been turned off. Really? I wanted my humans to continue to age, but no one is aging! Why is this an issue? They were able to make aging different in Sims 3. Also, why only vampires? Why not werewolves, witches and fairies? This is my biggest issue even though I'm disappointed about other things, like no spiral stairs and it seems to take forever to get anything decent.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    Your non vamp sims should continue to age as normal @lele62. Are you using any mods that may affect it?

I imagine if we get other supernaturals, they will come in their own pack.
  • vessmevessme Posts: 492 Member
    I think not having a bigger world with more lots for houses is a big problem. Also, no color wheel. Although I think the the styles and designs in the Sims 4 are pretty nice.
    tumblr_nc81zxn8g31qa6q9uo1_500.gif

Ridiculous,

Insulting.

Ridiculous,

Ahh..now you're changing tactics. Your original question was 'Do you know any adults outside the forum who play Sims games at all?' And I responded to that. There are plenty outside of the forums that are adults that play Sims.
    Maybe. But I don't know any. Do you? ;)

But I have a few time mentioned Sims games as an example to a group of teens - and they sure know the game and are able to give comments about what they like and/or dislike about some of the newest Sims games ;)
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017

Ridiculous,

Insulting.

Ridiculous,

But I have a few time mentioned Sims games as an example to a group of teens - and they sure know the game and are able to give comments about what they like and/or dislike about some of the newest Sims games ;)
    I was one between 2009-2013, an adult simmer who wasn't active on these forums. You didn't know me back then, you do know me now (so technically yes, you do know one). And I know a 62 year old simmer who has been playing this game since Sims 1, who never showed her 'face' here. She also plays Sims 4.
    (I know more by the way, all active on other forums than this one)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I actually don't know any teenage simmers. I was one myself during the sims 1 and 2 era. I know lots of people who play the sims 20 and up. don't just mean you tubers although there is plenty of them that come to mind. My Mum has a client who is in her fifties with lots of grand children and she LOVES the sims. She is actually getting her son to build her a pc so she can play the sims 3 which I think is pretty neat!

Ridiculous,

Insulting.

Ridiculous,

I'd say a majority of the Simmers that I follow on Twitter, subscribe to on youtube, and follow on tumblr are adults.
  • CandydCandyd Posts: 1,261 Member
    edited April 2017
    Do you know any adults outside the forum who play Sims games at all?

I know at least 3 adults who do (and who aren't "young adults"). Plus one child. No teens.
    JoAnne65 wrote: »

Ridiculous,

Insulting.

Ridiculous,

I was one between 2009-2013, an adult simmer who wasn't active on these forums. You didn't know me back then, you do know me now (so technically yes, you do know one). And I know a 62 year old simmer who has been playing this game since Sims 1, who never showed her 'face' here. She also plays Sims 4.
    I also know simmers on other forums than this one and I know that I can find some on Facebook and Twitter too. But this wasn't what I was talking about. In my own family I only know that my niece played Sims a little when she was a young teen a few years ago. I have also mentioned Sims a couple of times in the adult classes which I taught. Especially I remember a class where I (in a break) used the expression "games (PC) for girls" and a young girl in her early twenties answered whith a question: "Does that exist?" and looked around. She then answered the question herself: "Apart from the Sims?" - which clearly was a game that she didn't play anymore. The other girls in the class had no comments but clearly looked like they agreed with her.

If my adult pupils talk about interesting PC games then you can be very sure that Sims games never are mentioned at all among such games ;)

Ridiculous,

Insulting.

Ridiculous,

I also know simmers on other forums than this one and I know that I can find some on Facebook and Twitter too. But this wasn't what I was talking about. In my own family I only know that my niece played Sims a little when she was a young teen a few years ago. I have also mentioned Sims a couple of times in the adult classes which I taught. Especially I remember a class where I (in a break) used the expression "games (PC) for girls" and a young girl in her early twenties answered whith a question: "Does that exist?" and looked around. She then answered the question herself: "Apart from the Sims?" - which clearly was a game that she didn't play anymore. The other girls in the class had no comments but clearly looked like they agreed with her.

If my adult pupils talk about interesting PC games then you can be very sure that Sims games never are mentioned at all among such games ;)

Cut the crud.

You basically said TS4 was made for juveniles that don't really know what the Sims are about.
    If that's how you feel...fine...own it.

Everything else you're on about is drowning in white noise.

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    edited April 2017
    I made a typo, I accidently said I always played the Free Trial when that was meant to simply say also...

One other mistake that I have seen with TS4 though is the silence and how so many players where no only just shut out of thier play style, but where also ignored when they asked why,

:disappointed:
    Post edited by king_of_simcity7 on
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    I made a typo, I accidently said I always played the Free Trial when that was meant to simply say also...

One other mistake that I have seen with TS4 though is the silence and how so many players where no only just shut out of thier p,y style, but where also ignored when they asked why,

:disappointed:

I knew what you were saying. Just like I know you meant to say playstyle ;)
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited April 2017

Ridiculous,

Insulting.

Ridiculous,

If you meant 'within my own family and my classroom' you should have said so ;)
    5JZ57S6.png