Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Biggest Sims 4 Mistake So Far?

Comments

• GruffmanGruffman Posts: 4,831 Member
    Hrm.

If I had to pick something, it would be options.

I will never forget the Sims4 released. It did fully change the way I played the Sims. For the first time, I learned that not every sim had to reach the top of the career and that not every sim child had to get an A in school. Many complained that the game was too grindy. I appreciated the grind. My first sim never got to level 10 in his career before he died of old age, I had to choose if he would focus on his career or his family. Those first two or three generations really changed how I play. But, the masses complained. Instead of getting the option to keep what I liked, everything got nerfed ... a one size fix all bandaid. It has carried on for almost everything else released for the Sims4 ... a one size fit all bandaid. You have GTW, you can't turn off aliens. You got the vamp pack, you can't turn off vamps. You don't want the transgender patch, too bad .... bandaid, one size fits all.

So for me, I would say options, or the lack of options ...
  • Demigod79Demigod79 Posts: 4 New Member
    In my opinion, the biggest mistake was the lack of an open world. This was a massive step backwards from the Sims 3, especially when so many other games now have it (you'd think a life simulator would be the best example of an open world game...). One of the reasons why I enjoyed GTA 5 so much was the open world, which you can explore by foot, bicycle, car, submarine and airplane. It felt like a living city, and was heightened by the random events and character interactions. Frankly, if they took GTA 5 and filled it with Sims it would make one heck of a life simulator.

The constant loading screens in The Sims 4 really breaks the immersion - as a result, I try to stay in my home lot at all times, only travelling out when I absolutely have to. The neighborhoods do not feel connected in any way and there is little point to exploring. One of the things that I used to love doing in The Sims 3 is follow along behind my Sim and act as if I'm in the game with them. I'd waste a ridiculous amount of time tagging along on errands, looking at the buildings, people, cars and terrain. I also loved flying over the city, zooming in on other houses and seeing what other Sims were up to. It was a big part of my game and was very disappointed that TS4 took it away.

Other elements were also minimized or removed, such as toddlers (took them long enough to put it back!), cars, world customisations, and create-a-style, just to name a few. The similarities in life stages was also a surprising - I usually can't tell if someone is a teen or an adult (the only way to know for sure was by clicking on them and checking for romantic interactions). It seems that the game was overall a huge step backwards, almost as if they wanted to reboot the series and make everything from scratch instead of expanding on what was already there.

I've played TS3 for years and got every expansion pack, but I quickly got bored with TS4 and I hardly ever touch it now. I get sad whenever I think about it (especially since I preordered for the Deluxe) and I'm strongly considering reinstalling TS3. Or maybe I'll just play other games on Steam until TS5 is announced.

Anyways, my two cents.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    being put out in a time where eight yearolds are allowed online by themselves in large number

oh snap :* lol

I know, right? It'd be more funny if it weren't rule breaking. :p
    Demigod79 wrote: »
    In my opinion, the biggest mistake was the lack of an open world. This was a massive step backwards from the Sims 3, especially when so many other games now have it (you'd think a life simulator would be the best example of an open world game...). One of the reasons why I enjoyed GTA 5 so much was the open world, which you can explore by foot, bicycle, car, submarine and airplane. It felt like a living city, and was heightened by the random events and character interactions. Frankly, if they took GTA 5 and filled it with Sims it would make one heck of a life simulator.

The constant loading screens in The Sims 4 really breaks the immersion - as a result, I try to stay in my home lot at all times, only travelling out when I absolutely have to. The neighborhoods do not feel connected in any way and there is little point to exploring. One of the things that I used to love doing in The Sims 3 is follow along behind my Sim and act as if I'm in the game with them. I'd waste a ridiculous amount of time tagging along on errands, looking at the buildings, people, cars and terrain. I also loved flying over the city, zooming in on other houses and seeing what other Sims were up to. It was a big part of my game and was very disappointed that TS4 took it away.

Other elements were also minimized or removed, such as toddlers (took them long enough to put it back!), cars, world customisations, and create-a-style, just to name a few. The similarities in life stages was also a surprising - I usually can't tell if someone is a teen or an adult (the only way to know for sure was by clicking on them and checking for romantic interactions). It seems that the game was overall a huge step backwards, almost as if they wanted to reboot the series and make everything from scratch instead of expanding on what was already there.

I've played TS3 for years and got every expansion pack, but I quickly got bored with TS4 and I hardly ever touch it now. I get sad whenever I think about it (especially since I preordered for the Deluxe) and I'm strongly considering reinstalling TS3. Or maybe I'll just play other games on Steam until TS5 is announced.

Anyways, my two cents.

That you can't build in at all, nor bulldoze everything you want gone on the fly. Seems like a Sims game I'd never play, anyway. :p
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    edited March 2017
    Allowing the game to launch without pools. Really, EA?

@JoAnne65 Some of us actually like online, you know. I play that fan remake of Sims Online, and I love sharing Sims and houses I made through the Gallery. I tried doing a story, but constant picture taking wasn't for me.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • DecafHighDecafHigh Posts: 669 Member
    That you can't build in at all, nor bulldoze everything you want gone on the fly. Seems like a Sims game I'd never play, anyway. :p

I don't see any reason you couldn't do that also. You can build whole towns in Fallout 4. https://imgur.com/a/ETPNs#K2SS0a2
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    being put out in a time where eight yearolds are allowed online by themselves in large number

Anyways, my two cents.

True, I'd never want that for a Sims game. I think people are referring to the whole atmosphere that game has and the open world, but I don't think that's possible in a Sims game.

ETA:
    DecafHigh wrote: »

I don't see any reason you couldn't do that also. You can build whole towns in Fallout 4. https://imgur.com/a/ETPNs#K2SS0a2

Oh, really?! I'm really curious what exactly would and would not be possible for this franchise...
    5JZ57S6.png
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    "nor bulldoze everything you want gone on the fly"

If only I could do that in Sims 4 to get rid of the mysterious fake houses that conflict in style/design with my playable houses
    SimFan298 wrote: »

@JoAnne65 Some of us actually like online, you know. I play that fan remake of Sims Online, and I love sharing Sims and houses I made through the Gallery. I tried doing a story, but constant picture taking wasn't for me.
    Even if you do, the way they wanted to do it apparently wasn't workable. SimCity was a flop and Olympus, rumour has it, was dropped. The result is a game that is neither fish nor fowl in a way. I wonder by the way how many people want The Sims to be an online game. All I know is I don't ;)
    (the gallery is absolutely great, we can agree on that)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited March 2017

Anyways, my two cents.

You can only build up or bulldoze 5 lots or fewer in most neighborhoods. Two neighborhoods in WB have more than 5 lots, and the city world's hoods all have less than 5 lots you can change freely. The rest of the world (any world) cannot be edited in any way. Your point here is moot because it's essentially exactly how The Sims 4 already operates.

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    edited March 2017
    The biggest mistake is
    Not cars
    Not open world
    Not toddlers
    Not palette of colors
    And mostly make us believe the game was ''amazing''. If they're not do the ''olympus'' thing TS4 would have been a big game. 8M views on the Launch trailer, the game could be a big success... It's a pity for us and them.

I can see that English isn't your mother tongue, but oh god.... :D:D:D

"not" implies that "cars, open world, toddlers and palette of colors aren't the mistakes". Pretty sure you meant to use 'no*'.

@DragonCat159 Haha yes i'm French. :joy:
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited March 2017

Anyways, my two cents.

You can only build up or bulldoze 5 lots or fewer in most neighborhoods. Two neighborhoods in WB have more than 5 lots, and the city world's hoods all have less than 5 lots you can change freely. The rest of the world (any world) cannot be edited in any way. Your point here is moot because it's essentially exactly how The Sims 4 already operates.

You can build more on the smallest lot in the Sims 4 than you could do anywhere whatsoever in GTA 5. You could talk to any random Sim (and then ask them to move in, marry them, divorce them, etc) more than you can talk to any random cannon fodder 'NPC' in GTA 5. All that GTA 5 has in comparison are cars, guns and drugs. Two of those neither apply nor are needed in a Sims game.

Say what you want to about the 'huge' GTA 5 world, but if you think the Sims 4 worlds are mostly background filler, that's the entirety of the other game. And the reason it's so big is because it lacks everything but shooting and stealing cars. You know what the biggest activity to do in GTA 5 is? Pointless hot-wheels style tracked car racing. The 'city' becomes even more of a backdrop.
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    SimFan298 wrote: »

Even if you do, the way they wanted to do it apparently wasn't workable. SimCity was a flop and Olympus, rumour has it, was dropped. The result is a game that is neither fish nor fowl in a way. I wonder by the way how many people want The Sims to be an online game. All I know is I don't ;)
    (the gallery is absolutely great, we can agree on that)

Oh, let me rephrase that:

Some of us *like online.

SimCity definitely was a flop. And honestly, Olympus had no hope once or ever. And I never said I wanted all Sims to be FULLY online, just that I like the features that the series included. Trust me, always online = absolutely horrible.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]

Anyways, my two cents.

You can build more on the smallest lot in the Sims 4 than you could do anywhere whatsoever in GTA 5. You could talk to any random Sim (and then ask them to move in, marry them, divorce them, etc) more than you can talk to any random cannon fodder 'NPC' in GTA 5. All that GTA 5 has in comparison are cars, guns and drugs. Two of those neither apply nor are needed in a Sims game.

Say what you want to about the 'huge' GTA 5 world, but if you think the Sims 4 worlds are mostly background filler, that's the entirety of the other game. And the reason it's so big is because it lacks everything but shooting and stealing cars. You know what the biggest activity to do in GTA 5 is? Pointless hot-wheels style tracked car racing. The 'city' becomes even more of a backdrop.

??
    5JZ57S6.png
    @JoAnne65 - This is what I'm talking about: (I'd recommend muting the video, the music is obnoxious imo.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmjpUfbTwiM
    Oh, that looks odd, hadn't seen that before (I don't play the game, just watch sometimes when my son plays it).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Nothing to stop one from bulldozing all the lots in a world like Willow Creek if one wanted. Just make sure there is at least one venue of each type spread across the other worlds.
  • PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    GTA V is not backdrops (I have played it - it's fun) but it's an entirely different type of game. There is no building at all; the world and the avatars are not dynamic except for being able to change the clothes and props and a few other minor things of the main characters.
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Nothing to stop one from bulldozing all the lots in a world like Willow Creek if one wanted. Just make sure there is at least one venue of each type spread across the other worlds.

All the playable lots you can - can't do anything with the fake backdrop houses/venues/boats etc they stay because Sims 4 won't let you design the world the way you want because they are going to tell you what world you want
    GTA 5 is fantastic and it still beats S4 in entertainment/atmosphere even with such an apparent 'linear' game design
  • Demigod79Demigod79 Posts: 4 New Member

Anyways, my two cents.

You know what else GTA 5 has? A massive amount of content! No gimped, half-baked, patch-in-later nonsense like TS4 (e.g., no toddler stage). Aside from a huge main campaign there are dozens of side quests for each character and a large variety of achievements to unlock (e.g., finding notes around the city, seeking alien artifacts, parachute drop challenges, flying under bridge challenges, car stunts, flying stunts, bike races, cult mission, properties to buy, etc.). If you've ever played GTA 5 and aimed for the 100% completion achievement then you'd know just how much stuff there is to do.

I would love to do even a small fraction of the stuff that I can do in GTA 5 in TS4. Things like actively driving, flying a plane, swimming freely (not just commanding someone to swim), riding amusement parks, climbing a mountain, etc. It would also help if existing activities could be expanded and made more interactive (e.g., cooking a meal by interacting with it, instead of it just a preset animation). As I mentioned before, exploration and immersion are a big part of my gaming experience, and TS4 simply doesn't deliver that.

GTA 5 has also taught me that a large, complex, open world is possible with today's technology. I think the main reason they removed the open world is because of technical constraints - in the Sims 3 the gameplay would slow down noticeably after a while from all the background management that was going on. The game needed a better engine to handle the open world, but instead of doing this they dropped the open world altogether - as a professional programmer, I am appalled by this. It's like they decided to take the easiest and cheapest way out, instead of investing the time and/or money into a good game engine.

Aside from a better building mode and more flexible CAS, TS4 seems like a gimped versions of TS3. Perhaps TS4 would be more interesting to someone who is new to the series, but as a TS3 veteran I feel like I've already played it before. Plus they keep releasing the same expansion packs over and over again (pets, university, careers). If EA is making a Sims 5 I hope they do something really innovative with it. If not, then that's the end of the line for me, as far as this series goes.
  • surraaaaaasurraaaaaa Posts: 859 Member
    I think relationship culling and relationship decay are the biggest mistakes. It drives me insane, because I can't understand why relationships can't just be frozen. How is it easier to decay at a certain rate, than to just freeze it? And if relationship culling is going to be introduced, why not let it be player controlled without a mod? Just a little "edit relationships​" button. Personally, I wana lose the random townie relations that spawn, but a brother in law or something, even if it's a low relation, I'd like to keep it..... "You rule"? And I feel like adding something like that is really telling of what kind of game the sims 4 is. It's the biggest mistakes to me, which is why I've gone back to sims 2 (when I ever have time :( )
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Ciarassims wrote: »
    BIGGEST SIMS 4 MISTAKE SO FAR?
    Being built off of an online game which really limited the sims 4 and coming out too soon.

^^ This. The biggest mistake was going down the wrong path in the first place and then back peddling into this. Things have gotten better but things are broken at the core.

I hope weather is done well and I already gave up on cars. But hey I gave up on toddlers and I am pretty happy with what we got. It might have been for the best that we got it later because had they added them in the base game, they would have never been this fleshed out.

• Misa_wants_PepsiMisa_wants_Pepsi Posts: 229 Member
    For me it was the base game missing so much that had to be patched in. (Swimming pools, toddlers.) I enjoy the game, but it took me longer to buy it (I bought it after get to work released.) That it took 2 years for toodlers to come out makes me feel that the sims 4 was rushed. I'd rather wait for a delayed game that has all the features in than waiting for things to be drizzled in.