Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

can this mac run the sims 3?

2.7GHz or 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 or 3.1GHz dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
Turbo Boost up to 3.4GHz

8GB memory

Up to 1TB SSD2

Intel Iris Graphics 6100

base and all sp and ep

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    First of all, I'd recommend more RAM. While 8GB is ok, the more you add the slower the game will be. Next, the game isn't optimized to run on the Intel graphics cards and if you search the forums here you'll see workarounds that people have come up with to get the game to run. And lastly, most MacBook players can play the game, but find that Pets and Seasons don't run that well.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • skybakerskybaker Posts: 214 Member
    edited March 2017
    @mikepapaycik, this may not help even you got more RAM unless you are running Sims 3 with bootcamp under Windows environment.
    As I known, Sims 3 can only access 2GB of RAM under iOS environment. I'm not a computer genius and can't explain why.
    Take a look at the blog of BluebellFlora is definitely a help:
    https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/
    AqWKHoo.jpg
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    skybaker wrote: »
    @mikepapaycik, this may not help even you got more RAM unless you are running Sims 3 with bootcamp under Windows environment.
    As I known, Sims 3 can only access 2GB of RAM under iOS environment. I'm not a computer genius and can't explain why.
    Take a look at the blog of BluebellFlora is definitely a help:
    https://bluebellflora.com/how-to-play-the-sims-3-on-a-mac/
    When the game was first launched in 2009, neither Windows nor Mac players' games could access more than 2 GB. This was fixed for Windows users by the game becoming Large Address Aware as of Patch 1.17, back around the release of LateNite. Mac users got a Patch 1.17 as well, but it did not provide this benefit because of the poor implementation of Cider wrapping to emulate enough of Windows XP on Macs' OS X to get TS3 to run in a crippled environment.

It's the only iteration of Sims games that EA did this to. TS1, 2, and 4 for Mac were all proper ports into OS X. I believe all of them were outsourced to those who could do it better (Aspyr).
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    To my knowledge TS4 was ported in house by EA. TS1 & 2 were definitely ported by Aspyr, but not the full run of TS2. :(
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    To my knowledge TS4 was ported in house by EA.
    I stand corrected, then. But from all reports, they seem to have done a much better job of things for those who enjoy that generation of the game. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    I still miss Aspyr. Wish they had done TS3
  • simsteph21simsteph21 Posts: 13 New Member
    Firstly, sorry to bother everyone but I was wondering if anyone could please help me out. I purchased a digital copy of the Sims 3 a couple months ago but I was never able to get it to work on my mac using Origin. It starts to install but ALWAYS stops and freezes my whole laptop. I've tried everything from uninstalling origin, to deleting files etc. and I also emailed the website that I bought it from. I've kinda given up with origin and now I desperately want to buy the disc versions of TS3 but I'm a bit reluctant to spend more money if I'm not sure that it'll work. I've looked through tonnes of forums but am yet to find someone with the same mac as me. So I was wondering if anyone knows whether TS3 would work on my mac.

MacBook Pro 13" mid-2012
    Processor: 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
    Software: OS X 10.9.5

So far I've noticed a lot of issues with macs post 2012, especially with Sierra, El Capitan and Yosemite so I'm hoping mine will be ok since I've still got Mavericks. Thanks in advance to anyone taking the time to help me!
    Have you allowed Origin to fully update before starting to install? Try that first. :)