Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Accidental Kitchen Fires: How to start them without starting them?

I have yet to see a kitchen fire. I have yet to see ANY fire, actually. I know there are ways of starting fires like putting a rug in front of a fireplace, but the game doesn't have much unpredictability. My sims, no matter how low their skill level, never fail at cooking. So what's the actual recipe for disaster? Low cooking skill and a cheap stove? Are my stoves too nice perhaps?

I've also heard incense or candles can catch fire, but I've never had that happen either.
42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

Comments

• FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    edited March 2017
    Light fireworks inside? I heard that works :D

As far as how to start them without starting them, I am not sure!
  • DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I had thousands of fire when I put the incense on a top of the one tile desk from City Living.
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member

See, but that's not unpredictable. I want to be going along, happy-go-lucky when BAM! A fire breaks out that I didn't personally influence. Like the time in TS3 when I had my toddlers Inferno Birthday Cake basically explode and burn down half the kitchen. I always wondered about the Inferno Cake, but until that day, I had NO idea that was possible.

Are there any unpredictable deaths or calamities in 4?
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• DoloresGreyDoloresGrey Posts: 3,490 Member
    I would also like to say that it is almost impossible to start a fire in kitchens. I play TS4 from the very beggining and I had kithen fire maybe twice. That is not enough for me! :D
    -probably just playing Phasmophobia :p
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

See, but that's not unpredictable. I want to be going along, happy-go-lucky when BAM! A fire breaks out that I didn't personally influence. Like the time in TS3 when I had my toddlers Inferno Birthday Cake basically explode and burn down half the kitchen. I always wondered about the Inferno Cake, but until that day, I had NO idea that was possible.

Are there any unpredictable deaths or calamities in 4?

Yeah, I had some good fires in S3. It is very hard (to me) to even experience fires in S4.
  • ratsrbestratsrbest Posts: 579 Member
    edited March 2017
    Maybe take your attention off the Lot for five seconds when someone is cooking?

A couple of days ago I was chasing down a Sim who'd taken it on himself to go and grill some burgers at the community area next to the house. I'd already directed another household member to cook for everybody - at home - and felt a bit miffed.

As I was busily deploring the actions of the burger king I got the message that the house was on fire.

Fortunately only one Sim was on fire and she went off to the shower to get put out. Another Sim extinguished the fire and, since I had an alarm and sprinkler, I expected adequate recompense. Pah!

Don't ever put your nice, expensive fridge next to your oven is all I can say.

Don't feed the trolls
  • PlainevilPlainevil Posts: 221 Member
    I have had 2 fires both caused by cooking, first happened just after City Living release. I started a new sim and moved her into an apartment, told her to cook grilled cheese, cooker went up in flames looked for fire dept on phone and wasn't one, had not realized.

Second fire was after toddlers patch, hired a nanny as both parents had work that day, nanny arrived went straight to the cooker and started a fire. Both parents came running in with fire extinguishers and quickly put the fire out. Before firing the nanny, the game clearly said she was competent at cooking, the state of the kitchen proved otherwise.
  • TriX0099TriX0099 Posts: 850 Member
    I have never had a kitchen fire, and most of my 48 households have the cheapest fridge/oven. A few have the second cheapest oven (when I want a black one), so I have no idea how to "accidentally" help those along.

I have had 5 fires in total in 2+ years of playing. 2 with the children's chemistry set and 1 from a grill in my normal save. My very rarely used test save has had 2 fires. One from an incense burner, and one literally just happened with a new large build I was testing. I was almost done testing, and had just lit the outdoors fireplace when my sim caught on fire. She autonomously ran and took shower in the pool bath (even if autonomy was off, so I understand how difficult those intentional deaths must be) before the sprinklers turned on, and I replaced the burnt coffee table and had her husband clear the ashes away from the table decoration, so I could buy a new one. I swapped controls to the wife again, and saw she still had a fire symbol in her queue when she finished her shower, and checked it: death by fire! Yup, my only death (not of old age) in all the time I've played TS4, just happened to my build-tester :D
  • PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    If you have Spa day put an incense on the table and light it, a fire will start sooner or later.

03-07-17_3-25-08nbspAM_zps0fl10nio.png
    09-01-16_1-53-24nbspAM_zps6ne9otz8.png

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    /snip/
    /snip/

Looks like a rather inopportune time for a fire to start. ;)
  • sprootsproot Posts: 590 Member
    I've noticed that if you leave a campfire on long enough, it will start a fire... I've had lots of sims on fire due to that :D
    IMG-6587.gif
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    the fireplace in my apartment keeps setting the wedding bouqet on the table in front of it on fire. I guess that isn't what you're looking for, though.
    anyway dealing with fires in this game isnt really fun. the sims are so glitchy they'll stand and watch the house burn down sometimes even after you've told them to extinguish it. or by the time they actually extinguish it it's spread elsewhere and you have to start all over again :/
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • HermitgirlHermitgirl Posts: 8,825 Member
    You might want to consider using the Cursed lot trait also if you want more possibility of bad things happening... from Carl's site "The game data tells me that Sims may pee themselves more often, food may spoil faster, fires are more likely to happen, death by exhaustion for elders, death by electrocution. Uncomfortable and stressed buffs may occur more as well. It's one nasty lot trait!"
    egTcBMc.png
  • EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    It may be coincicental, but my sims seem to start fires more often when they are uncomfortable. I had some fires in challenges saves, but never in everyday-life saves where the sims are well cared for and with the obligatory Inspired-inducing lamp lit in the kitchen.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    Oh they happen I had a sim make cookies when she walked away the stove was on fire :joy:
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    edited March 2017
    They're likelier to start fires if:
    - their cooking skill level is exactly at or lower than the food they're trying to cook
    - the oven has a low durability (which, in this case, means "likelihood of fires"), so take the cheaper ovens
    - the cook has negative moodlets, especially if uncomfortable or dazed (put all of your trash into the kitchen, behind a few objects so nobody puts it away, or let them eat spoiled food before)

That's what my tests are suggesting so far. The cooking skill seems to influence it the most. But no matter what, only one of these factors being bad can (and did, for me) cause fires.

And for those who rarely experience kitchen fires anyways: Don't cook size 8 meals and feed on those for three days each. Every meal should be cooked seperately, so you cook eight times as often, which should increase the chance of fire by eight times as well :)
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Hermitgirl wrote: »
    You might want to consider using the Cursed lot trait also if you want more possibility of bad things happening... from Carl's site "The game data tells me that Sims may pee themselves more often, food may spoil faster, fires are more likely to happen, death by exhaustion for elders, death by electrocution. Uncomfortable and stressed buffs may occur more as well. It's one nasty lot trait!"

The cursed lot trait will definitely increase fires. I did a harder version of the 7 toddler challenge and I put the Cursed lot trait on the house. There were 6 kitchen fires, 2 of which were started by nannies.
    Kerwinkle wrote: »
    I've noticed that if you leave a campfire on long enough, it will start a fire... I've had lots of sims on fire due to that :D

Yeah, try a Weenie Roast event. The invited sims throw logs on the fire like their life depends on it...the fire gets roaring pretty good and I've had a few bystanders catch fire.

• keenowkeenow Posts: 549 Member
    From the few I've had, I think fires are only dependent on how low your sims cooking skill is. Whether my camera was on them or not or whether the stove was expensive or not didn't seem to influence it. If you get past the lowest skills without ever seeing a fire you may never see one. They're very few and far between in TS4.

I miss a bit of the random death unpredictability in TS4. In 1000+ hours of playing I only recall having two unpredictable deaths. One child who drowned in a pool and another handy-minded sim who got zapped by fixing things. I did end up bringing the later back to life, though. (I honestly should have left it because how often does that happen?! :confounded: ) They only happened because I wasn't paying attention to either of them and had my attention elsewhere for a very long time.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    keenow wrote: »
    I miss a bit of the random death unpredictability in TS4. In 1000+ hours of playing I only recall having two unpredictable deaths.
    While I haven't experienced too many unpredictable deaths in over 600 hours of gameplay, what's funny is that I had one in my first few minutes of playing the game.....dishwasher broke in the apartment, called a repairman to fix it and he electrocuted himself and died, lol. That's the only unpredictable death I've encountered though.
  • Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    The only fire I have experienced was while my family was roasting weenies and marshmallows on the camp fire. Bad things almost never happen in my game, which makes me wish there was more spontaneity.
  • AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    If you have Spa day put an incense on the table and light it, a fire will start sooner or later.

What is going on in the top picture ? O_o
    (Apart from the fire)
    AmySims09 wrote: »

(Apart from the fire)

Caleb is making the moves on Shinya on their date.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member

(Apart from the fire)

Are they making out? I've never seen sims in that position. a friend thought they might be motorboating.
  • AfterMidnightAfterMidnight Posts: 1,020 Member
    Fires are surprisingly frequent in my rotational save. It usually happens when I have a sim who has no cooking skill use the stove.

(Apart from the fire)

Are they making out? I've never seen sims in that position. a friend thought they might be motorboating.

It's an animation I have in my game, Caleb is giving Shinya a lap dance. It is actually an male/female animation so motorboating might be if it was two males...LOL

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´