Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Cant find a moth

My Sim has the three butterflies but can't find a moth anywhere. I know there is a way to generate what is needed but don't remember how. Does anyone know?

Comments

• nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    There are usually moths in the graveyards. Do you have World Adventures? There are insect spawners under the debug section that you can place on a lot to spawn the insects you need.
  • siminscsiminsc Posts: 854 Member
    I do have World Adventures. Where is the debug section?
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,934 Member
    edited March 2017
    siminsc wrote: »
    I do have World Adventures. Where is the debug section?

Press Control+Shift+C and type in
    testingcheatsenabled true

Then press Control+Shift+C again and type in
    buydebug on

Go to the buy mode and there should be a question mark. This is the debug.
    Post edited by EgonVM on
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    Um, that´s testingcheatsenabled true.
    Won´t work otherwise.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    The buydebug section is only visible when you sort by function in Buy Mode.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    There are usually moths in the graveyards. Do you have World Adventures? There are insect spawners under the debug section that you can place on a lot to spawn the insects you need.

Is correct,they are common at night,at school rabbit holes science building,graveyards.Look for them at night like real life moths.

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    I've had games where it's been impossible to find a moth anywhere in the world day or night. It can be very frustrating when that happens.
  • lunabellelunabelle Posts: 175 Member
    I always find them at the Criminal Headquarters in Bridgeport :)
    Working on #100BabyChallenge #TwiggsLegacy
    Now up to baby number 64!
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I think all butterflies disappear at 7 pm. That would include moths, but perhaps there's a special spawners which has later hours? Dunno.

There's a buydebug spawner list here:

http://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/forum/?topic=3357.msg247904#msg247904

There's 1 or 2 older lists above that post. From that post it appears there's an individual moth spawner, or you can use the epic butterfly spawner.

If I can't find a collectible in a world, and I'm willing to cheat a bit, I'll use MasterController's Object Info command on city hall or a computer to find the specific collectible I want, and use the notifications on those objects to zoom to their location. I mainly use that for specific gems and seeds, but I would think it would work for insects as well.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I know I had trouble with this for one of my child Sims, even though they had Collection Helper to help track what was where in Roaring Heights. I eventually placed a spawner in their yard. It seems a spawner only has a chance to produce moths on any given evening, and so even when the spawner is present on town lots, you may or may not actually get them in your game.
    Where do I find the spawners?
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Press CTRL+ALT+C

An input bar and cursor will appear at the top of your game screen.
    Type: TestingCheatsEnabled True
    Hit ENTER

Press CTRL+ALT+C again

Type: BuyDebug On
    Hit ENTER

Now go to buy mode, and sort by category, not by room (second tab down on left). Above your usual array of things in Buy mode will be a tab marked with a question mark: ?

Click that tab to see debug items. Spawners for bugs have a butterfly icon, I believe. It will look like a white box when you place it, with a big circle on the ground around it. In live mode, this will be invisible, but it is where the bugs will spawn.
    I found it! I want to thank everyone for your help. The child found the moth and turned everything in.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    TreyNutz wrote: »

If I can't find a collectible in a world, and I'm willing to cheat a bit, I'll use MasterController's Object Info command on city hall or a computer to find the specific collectible I want, and use the notifications on those objects to zoom to their location. I mainly use that for specific gems and seeds, but I would think it would work for insects as well.

Yes, it works for insects too.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Placing spawners down feels like a cheat to me so I normally avoid this. Recently it was impossible to find a moth in my game too so I gave up.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • saraarashr17saraarashr17 Posts: 5 New Member
    I added the moth spawner and the box appeared but when I went to live mode and waited for them to appear nothing happened
    I added the moth spawner and the box appeared but when I went to live mode and waited for them to appear nothing happened

Whenever my sim comes across a moth I make them catch it and i store it safely at home just in case they need it later. The graveyard is one place they find them sometimes.

Some games they dont seem to spawn. Other games they are plentiful.

Some people make a sim and fill its inventory with hard to find items and keep them in the library to be added to a game in an emergency.
    [quote="Karritz;c-17930738"][quote="saraarashr17;c-17930597"]I added the moth spawner and the box appeared but when I went to live mode and waited for them to appear nothing happened[/quote]

Whenever my sim comes across a moth I make them catch it and i store it safely at home just in case they need it later. The graveyard is one place they find them sometimes.

Some people make a sim and fill its inventory with hard to find items and keep them in the library to be added to a game in an emergency.[/quote]
    I have been visiting the graveyard and the criminal headquarters at night for 3 in game days now I don't know what to do please someone help me
    Karritz wrote: »

Some people make a sim and fill its inventory with hard to find items and keep them in the library to be added to a game in an emergency.
    I have been visiting the graveyard and the criminal headquarters at night for 3 in game days now I don't know what to do please someone help me

The only other place I can think of where my sims have found moths would be around the Sphinx in Egypt. But they aren't always there.
    [quote="Karritz;c-17931203"][quote="saraarashr17;c-17931177"][quote="Karritz;c-17930738"][quote="saraarashr17;c-17930597"]I added the moth spawner and the box appeared but when I went to live mode and waited for them to appear nothing happened[/quote]

Some people make a sim and fill its inventory with hard to find items and keep them in the library to be added to a game in an emergency.[/quote]
    I have been visiting the graveyard and the criminal headquarters at night for 3 in game days now I don't know what to do please someone help me[/quote]

The only other place I can think of where my sims have found moths would be around the Sphinx in Egypt. But they aren't always there.[/quote]
    Well I'm in Egypt right now so I'll give it a shot thnx for the advice .
    Good luck. Also, when in Egypt, try the graveyard and the basement full of stacks of rubble. I'm not sure if I've seen moths there. I tend to leave the rubble piles as there is nothing under them and sometimes sims get an opportunity to photograph a rubble pile and if there are no more left in the world it's a bit sad. So I keep a few rubble piles there untouched. You might find moths in a few odd places in Egypt.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member

The only other place I can think of where my sims have found moths would be around the Sphinx in Egypt. But they aren't always there.
    Well I'm in Egypt right now so I'll give it a shot thnx for the advice .[/quote]

Is it the crypt moth you need or the base game moth? The crypt moth is very rare. I usually use the NRaas Master Controller mod to search for them if I can't find them with the collection helper. If you need one and can't find it no matter what you do, you could go into the Buy Debug menu and place one or more of the spawners for Egyptian insects on your sim's home lot. Then you only need to watch the home lot to find it on the rare occasion it shows up. If it's the base game moth, you could do the same thing in the home world, or even in Egypt.

I used the buydebug on cheat but they wouldn't work my backyard is filled with boxes and when I go into live mode and wait for the moths to appear they don't
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited July 2021
    @saraarashr17 How long have you waited after placing the spawners from buydebug? Sometimes they take a while (maybe a few game days?) for something to show up. I think exiting the game and going back in sometimes helps activate spawners, too - not sure how long you've been trying but guessing you've been in and out of game since you added the spawners?

Something I can't recall is if the unmodded game with Seasons active has insects spawning in the winter. I use the Tempest mod from nraas which allows you to choose to suppress or not suppress insects in the winter. If I'm playing families with kids, I set it so they'll spawn in winter in case the collection opportunities pop up. Anyway, just wondered if it's winter in your game?
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
    @suzses it's spring in my game and yes I've in and out of the game multiple times I wait for a few in game days too but nothing at this point I don't know what to do I did everything but I can't get the moth I'm on the verge of a break down
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top