Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Expansions in TS4 are so skinny...

Comments

• Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    I like what @DeservedCriticism said about how GPs are essential very popular ideas/gameplay that were given more depth than before. The only exception I felt was probably Spa Day. But looking back on it OR is our first vacation pack. Vacations were something that were very popular in the past (excluding WA not even going to go there) so of course the Gurus wanted to put more into that. DO was a huge success in my opinion because building and running your own restaurants has been a fan favorite since TS2. When it came to Vampires it was blown out of the water. They really did a homerun with that GP.

Part of me thinks that the reason why EPs feel so lackluster is because we didn't have anything else to compare them to other than past EPs with the same theme. Now we have that and GPs which are doing remarkably well. But what I really think is that EPs are not necessarily too thin but that the novelty of the packs wears off a lot faster than it should. During TS2 and TS3 days it would take me months before the newness of an EP would eventually fade away.
    They have no idea what they are talking about and I seriously doubt they own every game to justify what they are saying. EP are the same as they always been I see no proof where they have been skimping on them. They feel no different then TS3 EP.

@DeservedCriticism has given a perfect example on this very thread about ambitions vs get to work.
    It's such a good post I'm not actually going to repeat it. I own every EP for no games and I completely agree with it. There are many corners cut. Just off the top of my head here are some of my own examples:

City living has no buildable apartments. This was in previous games.
    Apartments have no elevators you can interact with, again this was in the sims 2 and 3.
    Ambitions gave us multiple new careers as did the sims 2 expansions. We got 3 in Get to work and three in city living. Less careers than the predecessors.
    Nightlife gave us a new world as did late night that were bigger and had more community lots than San Myshuno and get together, not to mention get to work.
    Nightlife gave us cars in an EP, again lacking in any of the sims 4 content releases.
    First of all GTW isn't ambitions and it wasn't meant to be like ambitions its it own EP with the retail system in it. Second City Living isn't a Nightlife EP it might have the elements of it but we haven't really had a nightlife EP yet so you can't compare the 2. Sims 4 is different from the other games and though I do want some of the things from past sims games I don't want everything to be the same or it wouldn't be fun. The EP are the same unless you show me proof they took out stuff that should have been in the game that we don't already have. All I have seen so far that was taken out of EP that everyone got was the phone skins that were suppose to be in Get Together that is it.

Stop the argument ''TS4 is different'' all says that. IT'S NOT A ARGUMENT. It's the same serie, dot.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    When you make statements claiming that every feature I don't like is considered, by myself, to be a gimmick you have thoroughly missed my point, made an inaccurate assumption of my personal view, and obviously didn't read into the post where the word was used.

There's really no point elaborating further because every criticism against this game is countered with this mindset that if the criticism doesn't work with your opinion then it's false. Whenever someone uses personal perception as an argument against critique you are effectly missing the point. My opinion is my opinion whether you like it or not. I don't need a fact check, when I never claimed to be talking about objective facts. Clearly personal opinion is not welcome here unless you're willing to mold your opinion to avoid upsetting those who like what you're criticizing.
    What do you expect people to say when you use phrasing like?
    There is a lot of gimmicks in this game. That might be an extreme sounding word, but it is the honest truth.
    That sure doesn't sound like, "Here's my opinion."

Also, you're being extremely hyperbolic to jump from one post you don't like to, "Every criticism against this game is countered with this mindset that if the criticism doesn't work with your opinion then it's false." You're just repeating what you did before... taking perception and/or opinion and portraying it as fact.

And apparently you decided to gloss over the part where I said:
    Triplis wrote: »
    Even a perception of "thinness" is potentially a problem for the dev team to consider, however, regardless of whether the EPs are objectively thin. How people perceive the content and what they get out of it is far more important than a numbered list of features. The point is, we need to keep a distinction between opinion and fact. Opinion can be valuable for feedback to the devs, but it's not fact. As long as we're clear on that, there's no problem.
    You could have just read that and said, "Oh. As long as we're clear on that, there's no problem. Well what I said was intended as opinion and that's always how I intend it, no matter how it sounds, so there's no problem here." But nope, you made a sweeping generalization about "every criticism against the game."

I don't need a lecture on personal opinion. If you can't discern between fact and opinion without a visual warning saying "this is my opinion NOT FACT" on a web forum composed of mostly subjective opinions then I don't know what to tell you. General rule of internet use, don't assume anything is a fact unless evidence is presented. Criticising an opinion that you perceived as fact is non-constructive and derails the thread.

Your enterpretation of my opinion doesn't give you any right to try and suppress said opinion. When you run off criticism by requiring objective facts, you aren't helping the developers buddy. You're eliminating people who's opinions help shape a better game.
    Complaining again Do you not realize that we haven't had GP in the past and the EP feel like they always do. Though I do think that some of the SP content could have been in the EP.

You say i'm complaining, i just say what i think. When you start a sentence with ''complaining again'' it's sure i don't want answer nicely.
    But you are stating the EP feel skinny is that not complaining that you want more to them?

What's wrong with complaining?
    Nothing but they are complaining about something that isn't even true.

Sorry? Are you blind or what? Do you really think TS4 is complet in EP? Are you already play to TS2 or TS3? Or you are very blind, you just don't want admit TS4 is not immersive...

Hate to tell you this, but some of us genuinely find TS4 immersive and find valuable contributions in gameplay from GPs and even SPs, not only EPs. Your opinion is not fact.

Really? Many people are obliged to do some challenge for have an immersive game. It's not normal.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    I like what @DeservedCriticism said about how GPs are essential very popular ideas/gameplay that were given more depth than before. The only exception I felt was probably Spa Day. But looking back on it OR is our first vacation pack. Vacations were something that were very popular in the past (excluding WA not even going to go there) so of course the Gurus wanted to put more into that. DO was a huge success in my opinion because building and running your own restaurants has been a fan favorite since TS2. When it came to Vampires it was blown out of the water. They really did a homerun with that GP.

Part of me thinks that the reason why EPs feel so lackluster is because we didn't have anything else to compare them to other than past EPs with the same theme. Now we have that and GPs which are doing remarkably well. But what I really think is that EPs are not necessarily too thin but that the novelty of the packs wears off a lot faster than it should. During TS2 and TS3 days it would take me months before the newness of an EP would eventually fade away.
    They have no idea what they are talking about and I seriously doubt they own every game to justify what they are saying. EP are the same as they always been I see no proof where they have been skimping on them. They feel no different then TS3 EP.

Hmmm? With TS3 you can just have 1 EP and your game is not so empty, TS4 with ALL dlcs the game is ever empty.

That's your personal opinion. It's not a fact that other people have to agree with. I've been playing Sims since 2000, when my kids first showed it to me, and have played The Sims, Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4. I find TS4 at two and a half years in to be more full than TS3 at the same time into its lifecycle. It's my entirely personal experience that TS4 is more immersive and more full (because I use more of what is available than I did for Sims 3). That is just as valid an opinion as yours or @pepperjax1230 's or anyone else's. But it's still only opinion.

For me, personally, the EPs in TS4 have not been "skinny" on balance. I would say that I'd have liked to see GTW focus only on the active careers, so it could do more with them, and split Retail off into a separate GP or EP. GTW felt like a lot of TS3 EPs did to me in that way: things that could have had more development but were stuck together within the budget so they didn't get that. I haven't had that with Get Together or City Living: I've found that I use everything in them, which I didn't with any of the TS3 EPs that had been released to this point. In my personal experience, the "skinny" award goes to TS3's earlier EPs, not TS4's. Because how full a pack feels comes down to what you, as an individual player, get out of it. And that's not going to be the same for everyone.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    edited March 2017
    We have the right to say what we think about the game that we buy with our money. So if you like have a game of meh it's not my problem. I'm not like some people to close my mouth because i've fear of EA, NO.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    Complaining again Do you not realize that we haven't had GP in the past and the EP feel like they always do. Though I do think that some of the SP content could have been in the EP.

You say i'm complaining, i just say what i think. When you start a sentence with ''complaining again'' it's sure i don't want answer nicely.
    But you are stating the EP feel skinny is that not complaining that you want more to them?

What's wrong with complaining?

Sorry? Are you blind or what? Do you really think TS4 is complet in EP? Are you already play to TS2 or TS3? Or you are very blind, you just don't want admit TS4 is not immersive...

Hate to tell you this, but some of us genuinely find TS4 immersive and find valuable contributions in gameplay from GPs and even SPs, not only EPs. Your opinion is not fact.

Really? Many people are obliged to do some challenge for have an immersive game. It's not normal.

Immersion means how involved you feel in something while you do it. Both immersion and boredom are experiences that are subjective and that are produced in different ways for different people. They aren't inherent characteristics in a game (or book or movie or...). You and I will not find the same things immersive or non-boring because we aren't the same people. Some people find Sims 3 non-immersive and boring, other people find Sims 4 non-immersive and boring, some people find it all non-immersive and boring. That is normal. What would not be normal was if we all liked the same things.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    We have the right to say what we think about the game that we buy with our money. So if you like have a game of meh it's not my problem. I'm not like some people to close my mouth because i've fear of EA, NO.

Nobody says you can't have an opinion. But you keep telling people that their opinion is wrong and yours is right. Opinion doesn't work that way.
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    MissCherie wrote: »

Not cause you disagree that it mean people are wrong.

If you love the EPs, and think they have a lot of content, and that you are pleased with it that's your opinion, but that doesn't mean that people that think they EPs are empty are wrong.

It depend on what people base their opinion, I personally think CL is empty, and doesn't have much gameplay, but then you could argue that it's fantastic for story telling (Same for GT), and we would both be right, but the issue is for people that want gameplay, all the story telling in the world won't give more of it, while for people that love story telling more gameplay won't hurt them.
    I agree, some people right off the bat say you are complaining the moment you criticize anything about Sims 4. Complaining can also be considered an form of feedback. I believe Sims 4 has improved but at the same time still need a lot of work and that is for me.

Well to me there's complaining and criticism, to me complaining is people that will say for example ''City Living suck, worse pack ever'', but then add nothing constructive on what they hate or what they would have wanted. Then there's criticism, which would be ''I don't like City Living, I was expecting a big town with many lots to visit, but I feel like they did put all their time and budget on the look rather than actual places to go'', but the thing is a lot of people here see criticism as hating, while criticism is people trying to communicate cause they believe the product have potential and could be better.

People need to understand that if someone legit hated the game and thought it had no potential, the person wouldn't waste time coming on the forum, I don't waste time on forums of games I hate and don't play, I only go on forums of games I play and think could get better. everyone here is playing the Sims 4, some maybe more than others, some maybe have all packs, some not, everyone doesn't enjoy the same things, some love getting new chairs, while others want more supernatural life states, while some hate supernatural, and would prefer more building items, but we all play.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    @MissCherie second paragraph is spot on. We're all here for a reason and it's not out of hatred for the game.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited March 2017
    Deleted
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    @Jordan061102 you need to realise that no one plays the sims4 the same everyone plays the game diffrent i have been playing the sims since the sims1 and what got me hook on the game was when i rented it at my local video club store a week later i purchuse the sims1 then i moved on to the sims2 and then sims3 and now sims4 and maybe the sims5 depending on the info i see or read when they officaly annouce the sims5 every simmer is waiting for something that they went in the game or see return but its not for us simmer to decide when just look tommorow we are getting bowling back what will come next that is to be seen.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
    @MissCherie second paragraph is spot on. We're all here for a reason and it's not out of hatred for the game.
    I so agree with that paragraph as well.

Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    edited March 2017

Nobody says you can't have an opinion. But you keep telling people that their opinion is wrong and yours is right. Opinion doesn't work that way.

I have say my opinion and you are come here for criticize. You can not let us quiet and let us talk about what we think? No, you are always obliged to you inlay.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited March 2017
    So now stop to confront and let us talk about the topic.
    Lu4ERme.gif

True.
    Lu4ERme.gif

If you love the EPs, and think they have a lot of content, and that you are pleased with it that's your opinion, but that doesn't mean that people that think they EPs are empty are wrong.

It depend on what people base their opinion, I personally think CL is empty, and doesn't have much gameplay, but then you could argue that it's fantastic for story telling (Same for GT), and we would both be right, but the issue is for people that want gameplay, all the story telling in the world won't give more of it, while for people that love story telling more gameplay won't hurt them.
    I agree, some people right off the bat say you are complaining the moment you criticize anything about Sims 4. Complaining can also be considered an form of feedback. I believe Sims 4 has improved but at the same time still need a lot of work and that is for me.

Well to me there's complaining and criticism, to me complaining is people that will say for example ''City Living suck, worse pack ever'', but then add nothing constructive on what they hate or what they would have wanted. Then there's criticism, which would be ''I don't like City Living, I was expecting a big town with many lots to visit, but I feel like they did put all their time and budget on the look rather than actual places to go'', but the thing is a lot of people here see criticism as hating, while criticism is people trying to communicate cause they believe the product have potential and could be better.

People need to understand that if someone legit hated the game and thought it had no potential, the person wouldn't waste time coming on the forum, I don't waste time on forums of games I hate and don't play, I only go on forums of games I play and think could get better. everyone here is playing the Sims 4, some maybe more than others, some maybe have all packs, some not, everyone doesn't enjoy the same things, some love getting new chairs, while others want more supernatural life states, while some hate supernatural, and would prefer more building items, but we all play.
    Yes on the "Worst pack ever" w/o any reason to back it up that is complaining but here on this forum even if it is criticism some people still think you are complaining. However, as long as no rules are being broken one can complain.

Yup, a lot of people see criticism as complaining and hate, but even then, even if someone wanted to just complain saying EPs suck, who are we to tell the person not to complain? We all complain in our life, about the weather, about work, about health, about kids, about family, about issues, about people, etc...

But anyway, some people think the EPS are skinny, some doesn't, and are happy with what we got so far, but I notice a pattern, that it's people that love gameplay that aren't content with the EPs, people that do tend to use story telling seems happy, good for them, but those people need to realize that not everyone like or is good at story telling, if you are not good at story telling then you relay on gameplay, I'll never tell people that say they love City Living that they are wrong, if they love it then I'm happy for them, but I want them to understand that maybe not everyone is looking for the same thing.

But people need to understand that all the flashy clothing and furniture in CL isn't gameplay, that's story telling, does CL offer a lot of it? Yup, tons, but for people like me that enjoy gameplay, the pack doesn't offer much.
    gCQKjq4.png
    True, i play for the gameplay too, and TS4 for gameplay is not to the height than TS3 even with nothing dlc.
    Lu4ERme.gif
    edited March 2017

Yes on the "Worst pack ever" w/o any reason to back it up that is complaining but here on this forum even if it is criticism some people still think you are complaining. However, as long as no rules are being broken one can complain.

Yup, a lot of people see criticism as complaining and hate, but even then, even if someone wanted to just complain saying EPs suck, who are we to tell the person not to complain? We all complain in our life, about the weather, about work, about health, about kids, about family, about issues, about people, etc...

But anyway, some people think the EPS are skinny, some doesn't, and are happy with what we got so far, but I notice a pattern, that it's people that love gameplay that aren't content with the EPs, people that do tend to use story telling seems happy, good for them, but those people need to realize that not everyone like or is good at story telling, if you are not good at story telling then you relay on gameplay, I'll never tell people that say they love City Living that they are wrong, if they love it then I'm happy for them, but I want them to understand that maybe not everyone is looking for the same thing.

But people need to understand that all the flashy clothing and furniture in CL isn't gameplay, that's story telling, does CL offer a lot of it? Yup, tons, but for people like me that enjoy gameplay, the pack doesn't offer much.

By "storytelling" do you mean mean taking pictures and posting them online in a story structure?

Just want to note that, as a player who is playing only for myself not for other people (I tried the posted storytelling thing for a while; it wasn't fun for me so I stopped), I like the gameplay in CL. I'd have liked to also be able to build my own apartments, but I'm happy to have my urban gameplay feel vibrant and citylike in a way that, for me as a citydweller, is a first for Sims. (Sims cities in the past didn't feel like the city as I experience it living in one; this one does.) I don't think that the line is one between "gameplay" and "storytelling". I do think that builders ended up left out, though.

By "storytelling" do you mean mean taking pictures and posting them online in a story structure?

Just want to note that, as a player who is playing only for myself not for other people (I tried the posted storytelling thing for a while; it wasn't fun for me so I stopped), I like the gameplay in CL. I'd have liked to also be able to build my own apartments, but I'm happy to have my urban gameplay feel vibrant and citylike in a way that, for me as a citydweller, is a first for Sims. (Sims cities in the past didn't feel like the city as I experience it living in one; this one does.) I don't think that the line is one between "gameplay" and "storytelling". I do think that builders ended up left out, though.
    I agree with you, for me CL layout is too congested and I would love to edit the layout and as well build from scratch some apts. I played in the city a little while and could not get attached to it. My neighborhood of choice is Windenberg, I keep going back there for some unknown reason :) I cannot go back to any other neighborhood and moved all my Sims there it is such a beautiful and fun place. :)

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    So now stop to confront and let us talk about the topic.
    Umm I was on topic with the post I just think that you are completely wrong that the EP are skinny I find there is plenty to do in them. Like I said before the only EP I know they took out something was Get Together with the phone skins but that wasn't a huge game changer. Otherwise they feel like they always have been like TS3 EP. But saying that you can have everything in the game and still feel like its skinny or completely boring so that isn't really valid to say they are skinny. It depends on the person to judge that but I still feel like you can be immersed in TS4 with everything we have so far. Plus don't get me wrong because I love TS4 but really the EP have just been meh meaning that they could have done a better job splitting GTW into active jobs and then had a EP for the retail system because I would have rather seen Open For Business type retail businesses and system then what we got.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
    EA/Maxis has changed the formula on what each SP and EP will contain, GP did not exist in previous editions but it does have elements from previous packs. Imho, Sims 4 will only get options that it can perform and it can be good and it can be bad depending on how one looks at it. All in all most of the packs offered does contain some elements from packs from previous editions. Some of the interactions may have changed as well. But it has been said different stokes for different folks. :)
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I don't need a lecture on personal opinion. If you can't discern between fact and opinion without a visual warning saying "this is my opinion NOT FACT" on a web forum composed of mostly subjective opinions then I don't know what to tell you. General rule of internet use, don't assume anything is a fact unless evidence is presented. Criticising an opinion that you perceived as fact is non-constructive and derails the thread.

Your enterpretation of my opinion doesn't give you any right to try and suppress said opinion. When you run off criticism by requiring objective facts, you aren't helping the developers buddy. You're eliminating people who's opinions help shape a better game.
    The very idea that I can discern fact from opinion is what enables me to call someone out on portraying opinion as fact. If I couldn't tell the difference between the two, I wouldn't be able to point out when the one is being used like it's the other.

You can read the reply I wrote you in that other thread for more in-depth. I sincerely don't know where you're getting the idea that I'm trying to suppress opinions. All I ask is that people not wield their opinions like they are facts. That shouldn't "run off criticism" at all and I would be very confused if it did.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    edited March 2017

By storytelling I mean everything that involve telling a story, no matter if posted online or not, screenshot or not, to me storytelling is about how some people will be able to tell an entire story with their sims even if it's to themselves, some people will get CL, and then make a Chinese sim, dress it with the flashy Chinese clothing that comes in the pack, and then go to the spice festival, and make a whole story that their sim was born in China, but got abandoned, took a boat to come to America, and went to live in a big cultural town, made some friends, and then went out to a festival, and met the love of their live, which happen to be a guy born in Africa, but that flew to the US in hope to make money to feed his 5 sisters still over there, and eventually try to get them in America with him, and then etc... etc... that's what mean by story telling, some people will have a full biography for each of their sim and stories, but see? there was no gameplay involved in all of that, all you had to do is put a Chinese and African sim in that City (wearing cultural clothing), and make them go to the same lot and meet. So people that can do that don't need much gameplay to have fun, for them CL is amazing cause they can do so much storytelling, but for people that love gameplay, clothing, worlds doesn't give us anything to do, so yea I think the line is there cause people that are good or like storytelling will be happy with pretty much anything, but then when people that love gameplay are unhappy and feel left out the storytelling people argue that the packs are amazing etc...

Maybe the building people are left out, but this is a life simulation, if people like building there's a lot of building simulation games out there, but there's only the Sims for life simulation.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • aiexaiex Posts: 103 Member
    @Jordan061102 I agree with this post. TS3 expansions came with so many new features, while the ones released so far for TS4 have seemed very dry and bland. :/
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think expansion packs can seem bigger or smaller depending on how much use you're getting out of them.
    GT seems "skinny" because a lot of what was added in that pack was focused on new inetractions and gameplay as opposed to objects.

For many of us Get Together ranks as one of the greatest expansions of all time not so much because of the content but because of the club system. Yep just that one feature put it up there with the legendary OFB for some of us.

World Adventures the most robust expansion pack in franchise history was the greatest thing since mummies for some, but idled away unused and virtually forgotton for others.

Seasons is typically a fairly skinny pack, but you wouldn't know it because the weather is omnipresent. It's right in your face...you can see the pack in action

Open For Business didn't come with a slew of jaw dropping new objects, but it was the most gameplay oriented pack ever released.....you wouldn't know it however unless you engaged in either running a business or earning talent badges...for the Simmer that didn't do either one of those things It was just the pack that had elevators and servos.

TS2 University It took me almost three years to finally send my kids to Uni...(I got the pack the day it was released)

How "fat" or "skinny" a pack is, really just depends on how much use an individual gets out of it...