Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teens are now slightly worse.

Comments

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    I have a feeling we might see preteens sometime in the future, so teens being able to be independent doesn't bother me. Teens as they are now look 17-19 to me. 16, if I pretend hard enough, but not younger. And it's not so uncommon for 16-19 year olds to live independently.

I think you might be right. There was a poster out here who said he was digging in the code and there is a placeholder for an additional lifestage. I could definitely see them doing something like that.

• noteye32noteye32 Posts: 250 Member
    hopefully they will one day focus a stuff pack (along with extra features ie: height difference, body shape, face acne etc) for teens.
    noteye32 wrote: »
    hopefully they will one day focus a stuff pack (along with extra features ie: height difference, body shape, face acne etc) for teens.

I'm thinking bigger. GP sized.
  • Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    Yes i want preteenagers.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    brendhan21 wrote: »
    to be honest here is what i think they should do. they should create 1 or 2 other sub ages for teens. make 13-14 year teens who would young teenagers that are slightly above kids but can do everything teens can and act like teenagers then we have the 14-16 year old teens who are the teens from the sims 2 and 3 basically and then we have 16-18 year old teens who would be the young adults basically

Good suggestions :smiley: Hopfully we will see that in TS5 :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I don´t see the problem, it adds a touch of realism. If you don´t like it then don´t move your teens out. I don´t understand why you´re complaining.
    p6tqefj
  • DiabolicalAFDiabolicalAF Posts: 70 Member
    There were never actual 'Teens' in the game in the first place.
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I think with this making teens live on their own their making way for Preteens it made sense to me than the teens were a lot taller than they were previous games they acted more mature than in previous games. Would I let them live alone I'll try it out once but I really wouldn't let them live alone until their actually a YA i still say they need to let the teens learn to drive, graduate school, have prom, get a scholarship and so on.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Briana2425 wrote: »
    I think with this making teens live on their own their making way for Preteens it made sense to me than the teens were a lot taller than they were previous games they acted more mature than in previous games. Would I let them live alone I'll try it out once but I really wouldn't let them live alone until their actually a YA i still say they need to let the teens learn to drive, graduate school, have prom, get a scholarship and so on.

Teens have been able to live on their own since the game launched two and a half years ago. All they've done with that since then is removed the inability to save in CAS (that was very early on and made it a lot more manageable) and made it easier to get started at. I don't see this as preparation for a younger life stage, just as better support for people who've always played runaway or orphaned teens.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • TomatplanteTomatplante Posts: 2,793 Member

Teens have been able to live on their own since the game launched two and a half years ago. All they've done with that since then is removed the inability to save in CAS (that was very early on and made it a lot more manageable) and made it easier to get started at. I don't see this as preparation for a younger life stage, just as better support for people who've always played runaway or orphaned teens.

I agree. I still don't see how people can hope for preteens. Also, I know many people who moved out at the age of 15-16 to go to school in another town, because there was a specific school they wanted to go to or their parents lived in the countryside where there were no high schools nearby.
  • Glimmer50Glimmer50 Posts: 2,365 Member
    This is why we need preteens. So they can be shorter, dress differently, look younger, have acne etc and act like rebellious teenagers. The ones we have now have never acted like teens. I mean we wouldn't have a sign hanging over their head that says I am a teen if it were obvious they were another life stage. So, I am really hoping for pre- teens in the future.
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    So yeah I just saw the patch notes and now teens can apparently live on their own. Seriously they already feel like adults with the only difference being they can not work full time jobs and have to go to school. Now they are allowed to go to live on their own that does not seem very realasltic on what teens are lol. My slight hope is that slight overall on teens is a sign of things to come because to be honest I feel like teens get less love in this game then kids and like I said teens are just adults who go to school instead of work full time jobs.

If you want to give the teens love, then just move them out in their own high school with a person to cook and clean for them and play them on their own without parents and siblings. And yes, I have done this for quite some time now.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited March 2017
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    Most teens these days think they are young adults.

Well what's funny is, as a teen (like 13+) my teachers used to call us "Young Adults". I was utterly confused by it as a kid :lol: "I'm an adult? why go to school then? :lol: "

And it continued from there "As Young Adults, you should be like this." and "As Young Adults you should be that." and then asking about any actual 'adult' things they'd retract their thoughts and say "Your a teen, you can't do that." :lol: ahh the confusion.

Mind you around this time I was playing TS2 University. I couldn't help but be confused like "If this is a Young adult, why the heck is everyone comparing me to it when i'm only 13? :lol:"

However I do agree that teens do try to act older then they are. But I can't blame them since sometimes parents and teachers sort of give them that sense of 'adult age' without even truly noticing it,and yet the next second, reality sets in lol.

It's a confusion I hope to avoid once my actual kids are teens :lol:

Edit: Almost forgot why i posted!!! :lol: I'm so giggliy today!

Okay to continue, I'm pretty happy for this. I mean yes i've been able to kick out my teens fairly easy whenever I don't want them in my households, but this makes things more immersive. Plus the family can say goodbye to them untill they become 'young adults' so i'm a happy camper till they finally add stuff for them oooor they add preteens <3
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams

I still see my opinion toward this because could teens live alone in any previous Sims game besides the Sims 4? I remember I tried to move a teen out but I needed an adult. I kind of like the teens how they are in this game but than I kind of don't the reason I like it because they act more mature than previous games but than I miss other gameplay like "sneak out" some people want shorter but in my opinion I don't think that's happening if teens been living on their own well it looks like the Sims franchise is going in the new direction with these teens I respect your opinion but I still feel like Preteens might be in the game just for them changing teens like this.
    edited March 2017

I agree. I still don't see how people can hope for preteens. Also, I know many people who moved out at the age of 15-16 to go to school in another town, because there was a specific school they wanted to go to or their parents lived in the countryside where there were no high schools nearby.

I can't speak for other people but for me it all goes back to the survey with all the expansions including generations which had toddlers and preteens, preteens were on their minds than and I thought it was a brilliant idea and I continue to say it's a brilliant idea but before that survey I thought nah preteens or middle school students won't be in the game thats just crazy or wishful thinking even though I wanted that life stage in the game but it was not until that survey that's when I really started pushing for preteens.
  • Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    edited March 2017
    I think the move out on their own is okay, there are teens irl who did/do live on their own at 16 (not many but well there are cases like that) and our ts4 teenagers seem to be a bit older...
    Argh! I hope we will see more "teen" like teens soon. I really dont understand why the current teens are so adult like... but I dont mind them moving out on their own. You could after all create teen-only households in CAS already. That was not possible in ts2/ts3 (you had to kill the adult to only play with the teens lol o:) )

But still, I hope they improve/add things for them because teens and YA seem to be the very same thing (for me at least) in ts4.
    I really miss my ts2 and ts3 teens. :cry:
    For now I am just trying to dress them up like I would my ts2/ts3 teens lol.
    WTlTGfw.jpg

9N6hHxv.jpg
    FFClgW1.jpg
    IoXOZqJ.jpg
    Still a bit too mature imo, its very hard to make them not look like YA.
    (And yeah I know real life teens probably would not dress like that today :D but at least I can tell they are teens when I see them walk around in my game )
    Post edited by Keks_Milch on
  • DegrassiGenDegrassiGen Posts: 2,168 Member
    I'm super happy about this. I thought it was silly that I could create a teen in CAS and move them into the world alone, but they couldn't move out of their parents homes through the Household Management screen. I don't see TS4 teens as being like 14-15 years old. I see them around 17-18, so I play them as younger young adults.

That's exactly what I just said yesterday. The only difference is that I said they are around 18-19 but 17 works to. And now that I see teens like this instead of 14 year olds I'm enjoying the teen life stage in Sims 4 more although I still agree we need more teen specific CAS and gameplay but the teen hangout is giving me huge hope that one day this will happen. Let's think positive everyone.
  • CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    you've gotten upset about an OPTIONAL gameplay feature. Come on.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • trulyoutrageoustrulyoutrageous Posts: 245 Member
    I'm a bit torn? Like, yeah on one hand there's not much to differentiate teens from young adults in the Sims 4. With the game's predecessors, they did a great job at doing that. Teens were somewhat limited, you could clearly see the difference by looks alone and when Sims 3 Generations came into play, it made a huge difference. On the other hand, for those of us who play the game like telling a story or want a new challenge (because teens, I assume, can't get full time jobs so maintaining a household and going to school, etc, etc would be hard), it adds a little more spice to the game. (Although, apparently this was already a feature before the patch, I had no idea). And I'm pretty sure teens could live alone in Sims 2 (you couldn't create a teen living alone but if the parents "mysteriously" died, then they would be left to their own devices).

So I can understand both sides. I do hope they add more features for teens though. I mean, I know pre-teen won't ever be a life stage but like, it would be super interesting. Puberty blues, acne, first crushes, etc.
    supersonic, simobotic, disconnected, not respected, who would ever really wanna go and top that?

tumblr_np8nzkY5xK1rkqz3ho9_r1_250.gif
    edited March 2017
    asesina wrote: »
    I'm a bit torn? Like, yeah on one hand there's not much to differentiate teens from young adults in the Sims 4. With the game's predecessors, they did a great job at doing that. Teens were somewhat limited, you could clearly see the difference by looks alone and when Sims 3 Generations came into play, it made a huge difference. On the other hand, for those of us who play the game like telling a story or want a new challenge (because teens, I assume, can't get full time jobs so maintaining a household and going to school, etc, etc would be hard), it adds a little more spice to the game. (Although, apparently this was already a feature before the patch, I had no idea). And I'm pretty sure teens could live alone in Sims 2 (you couldn't create a teen living alone but if the parents "mysteriously" died, then they would be left to their own devices).

So I can understand both sides. I do hope they add more features for teens though. I mean, I know pre-teen won't ever be a life stage but like, it would be super interesting. Puberty blues, acne, first crushes, etc.

I'm not so sure about that.
    Conditions seem ripe for them to make a mint off of something like that and there have been some tiny morsels of circumstancial evidence to suggest that it not only possible, it's something the've been planning for a while.

Please don't hit me up for sources, I'm just floating this out there based on posts I've seen out here, I haven't done any reasearch on any of this so please don't take any of what I'm saying here out of context.

It's just intuitive conjecture at this point.
  • trulyoutrageoustrulyoutrageous Posts: 245 Member
    Uzone27 wrote: »
    asesina wrote: »

I'm not so sure about that.
    Conditions seem ripe for them to make a mint off of something like that and there have been some tiny morsels of circumstancial evidence to suggest that it not only possible, it's something the've been planning for a while.

Please don't hit me up for sources, I'm just floating this out there based on posts I've seen out here, I haven't done any reasearch on any of this so please don't take any of what I'm saying here out of context.

It's just intuitive conjecture at this point.

LOL, well be it hope or false hope, the slight chance that pre-teens may become a reality is still pretty awesome. Let's hope they include it in a Generations-esque game pack.
    supersonic, simobotic, disconnected, not respected, who would ever really wanna go and top that?

tumblr_np8nzkY5xK1rkqz3ho9_r1_250.gif
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Additional lifestages would be patched in, like toddlers were. So they're not making a 'mint' on them, unless you assume post-patch there'll be a pack for them too. That kinda makes me doubt pre-teens will come at some point. They've already said the Kids Room SP stuff is more 'grown up' and meant to reflect older kids (i.e. preteens or close enough to it).

It's lifestates like vampires that get one-and-done packs and can 'make a mint'.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    I'm super happy about this. I thought it was silly that I could create a teen in CAS and move them into the world alone, but they couldn't move out of their parents homes through the Household Management screen. I don't see TS4 teens as being like 14-15 years old. I see them around 17-18, so I play them as younger young adults.

it just seems unrealistic and uncommon like alright thats cool i can seem them being 17-18 year olds sure except what about 13-16 year old gap and like i said i feel like the teenagers feel like teenagers played actors who are clearly adults in order to get away with teenagers doing teenager inapropriate things without actually showing teenagers doing inapropriate things if that makes any sense. like fine if you want to play that way it works out great for you but what about someone who wants real teenagers who are 13-16 is it really too bad for you if you do not like it do not buy the game or focus on everything else you like about the game and oh yeah you should stop complaining period since they realased the tolder patch and the vampire pack when they did not have to do those things be thankful for what you got and stop complaining right or just do not do not buy it and if you bought it you obviously like some stuff about it urgh.

I think some players would be happier if the same amount of effort that went into toddlers also went into teens :wink:

no i get the feeling that some players actually feel like because they put so much effort into toddlers we should no longer expect much or want any more effort into anything. i mean that was the impression i got when i asked people how they felt about the aniversy celeberation stuff this year people were almost insulted i was expecting anything since omg we got tolders for free!

you're feelings are just that you're feelings. Don't project or assume. there are many people that want things that are teen specific. but ignoring the fact that there are many teens that live on their own is one-side. There are tons of threads wanting a generation themed pack so that teens can get things such as "teach how to drive", go to prom, get acne
  • orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member
    Keks_Milch wrote: »
    I think the move out on their own is okay, there are teens irl who did/do live on their own at 16 (not many but well there are cases like that) and our ts4 teenagers seem to be a bit older...
    Argh! I hope we will see more "teen" like teens soon. I really dont understand why the current teens are so adult like... but I dont mind them moving out on their own. You could after all create teen-only households in CAS already. That was not possible in ts2/ts3 (you had to kill the adult to only play with the teens lol o:) )

But still, I hope they improve/add things for them because teens and YA seem to be the very same thing (for me at least) in ts4.
    I really miss my ts2 and ts3 teens. :cry:
    For now I am just trying to dress them up like I would my ts2/ts3 teens lol.
    WTlTGfw.jpg

9N6hHxv.jpg
    FFClgW1.jpg
    IoXOZqJ.jpg
    Still a bit too mature imo, its very hard to make them not look like YA.
    (And yeah I know real life teens probably would not dress like that today :D but at least I can tell they are teens when I see them walk around in my game )

AHH you're teens are fab! i'm going to steal some ideas
  • Missmagoo2Missmagoo2 Posts: 1,255 Member
    If they want to make the teens more realistic, they should add acne, awkward facial hair, voice cracking, mood swings/angst (do they already have this? I don't play teens very often), growing pains, wackier hair cuts/colors/outfits, etc.
    Haha, I'd play this
    Like SJM? Like Kpop? Like Greek Mythology?
    ☆゚.*・。゚ Follow me on the gallery ☆゚.*・。゚ Origin ID: Missmagoo2
    O(≧▽≦)O

(I work with CC so make sure you check that box to see my "hidden" content!)

L'uinversSims profile: https://luniversims.fr/profile/46983-missmagoo2/