Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How would a multiplayer version of TS4 work???

First of all, I would like to point out a few things.
  • Yes, I know there are several threads pointing back to this same thought, but I would like to share my opinion, too.
  • Yes, I know simmers have worked on a mod like this before, but eventually dropped it.
  • No, I am not suggesting this to The Sims 4, I am just expressing how that would even work.
We all know every simmer has had this cross their minds EVENTUALLY, right?
Some of us looked for mods, and found nothing? Maybe it would be hard to consider how this would work.
OK, so where to start?
First, let's take a look at how players would interact.
There are two possibilities.
A. One player could control family A and player 2 could control family B. This would be a fairly less complicated manner to play, in some ways.
B. One player controls a sim, another player controls a sim. This would be a complicated way to play.

For A, player1 could live in say... Willow Creek, while player2 lived in Newcrest.
To have both players interact, you would need to travel to the same destination, right? How would that happen?
One of the 2 players could simply call the other one and have the interaction "Invite over", or something along the lines.
Another possibility for calling other players is that once you enter an interaction with a player, it enters a chat category.

How a chat category would even work, you wonder.. That's easy! There would be a list of categories for conversation, like normal interaction with a sim. Whatever you typed into the chat box would go through the phone to player 2, and depending on what interaction you chose, they would react happily, flirty(ly?), angrily, or playfully.
This way of communication wouldn't differ too much.

The mechanics of in person communication would be like above, but with the options seen in the normal game.

What would happen if player1 was talking to one of player2s sims, -

WELL THAT'S SIMPL-

And player2 was not controlling that sim-

Oh! Well, THEN THE INTERACTIONS WOULD BE NORMAL!-

-because player2 was not on.
OOOOH I getcha! What if player2 wasn't on, but player1 was? How would it work, you wonder? Yes, this would be an issue, but simple solutions! Once you start up a multiplayer version of the game, it would ask who to invite by their origin ID. Until the user responds (Who must have sims 4), you are greeted with a boring loading screen or something!

Player1 is invited to player2s game, so what next?
If player2 doesn't have a household in their world yet, they are forced to enter CAS. They can simply recreate their family with the gallery, if curious.

what happens if they leave? Your game would save and go back to a 'start-up-screen' (Where you choose from multiplayer and normal) and you could re-invite your friends back, if something occurred.

Another feature about the category chat, would be the LIST.
categories: Mean, Romantic, Friendly, Funny, And Non-Game-chat.
Non-game chat would be talking between the two players, whenever!
Any in-game chats will interact, and the said words will appear over their heads, like a speech bubble!

Any questions? (*takes deep breath* lol)
I am undead! :smiley:

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,750 Member
    and it's not across EVERYONE's thoughts that Sims online/mutplayer=bad idea.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »

Nope. I think it would be fun to play with friends of my choosing (not interested in MOOs). I'd always assumed we'd always have to be online at the same time, though!

OP, do you think joint building could work? I assume there would have to be a save on a server somewhere.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • LuckyKittenCatLuckyKittenCat Posts: 4,640 Member

Nope. I think it would be fun to play with friends of my choosing (not interested in MOOs). I'd always assumed we'd always have to be online at the same time, though!

OP, do you think joint building could work? I assume there would have to be a save on a server somewhere.

Let me make something clear, first.
    A. I am not a modder, just someone who expresses ideas
    B. I dunno lol
    C. give me questions a cat can understand.
  • tmcevoy1121tmcevoy1121 Posts: 304 Member

Actually I would enjoy having the ability to play with my boyfriend on this game. Yes I do play MMO (SWTOR) and what I enjoy most is playing with my boyfriend so yes this would be something I would like, though I know it probably would not happen.
    A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous. A girl should also always be a lady even when arguing
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member

B. I dunno lol

:)

Well, I know I'd like to build with a friend. I don't know how Minecraft and the like work that way, if you have to do things separately or can do them at the same time.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Actually I would enjoy having the ability to play with my boyfriend on this game. Yes I do play MMO (SWTOR) and what I enjoy most is playing with my boyfriend so yes this would be something I would like, though I know it probably would not happen.

Yeah, and there is not a mod ): The only modder who actually tried, quit..

B. I dunno lol

Well, I know I'd like to build with a friend. I don't know how Minecraft and the like work that way, if you have to do things separately or can do them at the same time.

I don't think it would be possible to have multiple players control one thing at the same time, I f you are asking. Yes, they can build separately, but if it were together? That wouldn't make sense.
    <- just wokeup. cant think
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    Not my cup of tea, but I think it should be an option for those who want it.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
    ldmarko wrote: »
    Not my cup of tea, but I think it should be an option for those who want it.

I respect that you aren't someone that would insult someone for their opinion ^^
  • kwanzaabotkwanzaabot Posts: 2,440 Member
    My biggest problem is that I play with CC, so anyone I play with who doesn't have the same CC as me, is gonna have their Sims show up bald and naked. And that's not fun.

There's two real options available:
    * Either The Sims wouldn't support CC, in which case I wouldn't play,
    * Or else I'd only be able to play with people who have the exact same CC as me, which would lock me out of playing with... well, the vast majority of other CC players.

Just look at what happens when you find a Sim on Tumbr, ModTheSims or even the Gallery. You have to download THIS hair, and THAT makeup, and THIS dress... all that just to play with someone who's not always gonna be online as the same time as you.

It seems needlessly restrictive.
    wJbomAo.png
    kwanzaabot wrote: »
    My biggest problem is that I play with CC, so anyone I play with who doesn't have the same CC as me, is gonna have their Sims show up bald and naked. And that's not fun.

* Or else I'd only be able to play with people who have the exact same CC as me, which would lock me out of playing with... well, the vast majority of other CC players.

Just look at what happens when you find a Sim on Tumbr, ModTheSims or even the Gallery. You have to download THIS hair, and THAT makeup, and THIS dress... all that just to play with someone who's not always gonna be online as the same time as you.

hm, good point.
    I guess it would HAVE to not support CC, right?
  • NameShifterNameShifter Posts: 1 New Member
    on the playstation 2 there was a co-op mode for the sims, can't really remember how it exactly worked, think 2 people both had cursors which they could use to give orders to the sims and building was done by player 1, but you were sitting next to each other anyway

btw what does CC stand for?
    on the playstation 2 there was a co-op mode for the sims, can't really remember how it exactly worked, think 2 people both had cursors which they could use to give orders to the sims and building was done by player 1, but you were sitting next to each other anyway

CC: Custom Content: Mods made by simmers.

CC: Custom Content: Mods made by simmers.

It is usually to give your game a better feeling. Most of the time, users love to download CAS CC for their sims.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    sorry op buyt this is a terrible idea not every simmer went to play online some much prefer to play offline and not everyone would went to pay extra for the server cost must i remind you that the simscity online version failed big time and i clearly do not went this to happen to the sims franchise.
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    How would a multiplayer version of TS4 work?
    It wouldn't.
    The only time I ever think about such things, is when people make threads like this. It's not something I want.
    Maybe it would be hard to consider how this would work.
    No, not hard to consider, because it wouldn't work.

A. One player could control family A and player 2 could control family B. This would be a fairly less complicated manner to play, in some ways.
    You can already do that.
    B. One player controls a sim, another player controls a sim. This would be a complicated way to play.
    That would be an impossible way to play.
    How would it work, you wonder?
    No, I don't wonder, because I know it wouldn't work.
    Yes, this would be an issue, but simple solutions! Once you start up a multiplayer version of the game, it would ask who to invite by their origin ID. Until the user responds (Who must have sims 4), you are greeted with a boring loading screen or something!
    Timezones would be the biggest killer. Most people game in the evening, after work/school, right?
    It's close to lunchtime here, but it's currently evening in the US, and the middle of the night in the UK. My early evening is late evening for NZ. I guess that means I'd only be able to play with kiwis?
    Yeah, why on earth would you want other people to play with your dolls?
    The sims is about being in control, if other people are playing, how are you in control?

Sims players are control freaks. Sharing is not in our nature.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    I think people see multiplayer as MMO, while you describe more something like a co-op.

As a MMO is you be a terrible idea.

As a co-op it would be good for people that want to play with a friend or a partner.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • GlacierGlacier Posts: 193 Member
    kwanzaabot wrote: »

hm, good point.
    I guess it would HAVE to not support CC, right?
    One way is to let the 2 computers communicate and check each other cc, then exchange the required files. I think cc is such an important feature that the multiplayer version needs to find some way to accommodate it.

• DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member

B. I dunno lol

Perhaps, like in minecraft with blocks, If each of the players would be limited to only objects per different section/function/room (kitchen appliances, one for plumbing, other for lighting, last player for gardening), If they devs were to execute this teambuilding.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited March 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    It wouldn't.
    The only time I ever think about such things, is when people make threads like this. It's not something I want.

You can already do that.
    Yes, this would be an issue, but simple solutions! Once you start up a multiplayer version of the game, it would ask who to invite by their origin ID. Until the user responds (Who must have sims 4), you are greeted with a boring loading screen or something!
    Timezones would be the biggest killer. Most people game in the evening, after work/school, right?
    It's close to lunchtime here, but it's currently evening in the US, and the middle of the night in the UK. My early evening is late evening for NZ. I guess that means I'd only be able to play with kiwis?
    The sims is about being in control, if other people are playing, how are you in control?

Not necessary: "One player could control family A and player 2 could control family B. This would be a fairly less complicated manner to play, in some ways.". Each would have to be in control of their OWN families, either created from cas or born/adopted/moved-in.

Also, not everyone are control freaks. Remember The Sims Online? If the co-op was optional, I don't see a problem in one existing because you have the choice to play or not play it. :)
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • ZinniavanillaZinniavanilla Posts: 11,872 Member
    edited March 2017
    Local co-op could possibly work, with controls like Divinity: Original Sin. I know not a lot of people play that way which makes it a problem.

I don't believe Sims needs one at all however. Yes, it would be fun to start a fire on my brother lot but that's not the point. For reasons posted by simmers above, and my own.

All in all if you want a Sims Co-op then good on you. If you don't then that is fine too. This thread wasn't created for putting down the idea entirely but to gather ideas on how to make it work.
    unknown.png
  • Evil_OneEvil_One Posts: 4,423 Member
    edited March 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    It wouldn't.

You can already do that.

Not necessary: "One player could control family A and player 2 could control family B. This would be a fairly less complicated manner to play, in some ways.". Each would have to be in control of their OWN families, either created from cas or born/adopted/moved-in.

Also, not everyone are control freaks. Remember The Sims Online? If the co-op was optional, I don't see a problem in one existing because you have the choice to play or not play it. :)

Yes I remember The Sims Online, it lumbered along from failure to failure until it had to be canned entirely: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_55/331-20-Million-Dollar-Failure

And using the word optional doesn't magically make everything all right, when talking about something like multiplayer.

It's like someone asking for an optional complete engine rewrite... There is no such thing, access to online/co-op 'may' be optional but it effects certainly won't be.

That's why TS4 is the way it is.
    raw
  • GlacierGlacier Posts: 193 Member
    If the implementation of the multiplayer is MMORPG style, then I don't think it can be optional. On the other hand, if it is co-op style like what the OP is thinking, then it is optional. For example, we can make our own sims world and invite another person to play as a sims. If that person is not online, then we can play like an isolated sims game without the human sims. In other words, if you don't ever invite another player, then it is always a single-player Sims game.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Remember The Sims Online?
    Nope.
    I've played TS1, TS2, TS3 and TS4, never any sims online.

Also, I live in Australia, where the internet is slow.
    There are third world countries with faster speeds than we have. Anything online here is laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaggy
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif