Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Teen Hangout lot trait

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2017
    Zasz wrote: »
    I dedicated a lot as a pool and its empty all day. Guess I need to grab the mod for sims to have their own life outside the active lot because the devs are not willing to make it happen on their own.

Have you checked that your pool has all the objects it needs? You can access that in the top left in build/buy. (I'm assuming you have Get Together for the lot type.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Unfortunately I dont have get together yet.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited March 2017

You need Get Together for the venue type to draw Sims to use the pool as a main feature. If you put a pool in a Park lot, some Sims will use it, but there won't be a strong draw. My experience with pools in Gyms is they're more ignored than pools in Parks.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,189 SimGuru
    Not sure why this thread was moved to the Bug forum. The Teen Hangout lot trait is working as intended. We'll adjust the name/description it has in a future update to better communicate what the trait does.

I think there's certainly room for discussion if this lot trait is benefiting your game, or how lot traits can be implemented in the future that could be more useful to you. Moving to the Feedback forum.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @SimGuruGraham
    For information, the french description has the same ambiguity in the "More teens will hangout around this lot" part, because the "around" part is lost in the translation, and it basically says the teens will come on the lot.
  • Options
    SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,189 SimGuru
    Neia wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham
    For information, the french description has the same ambiguity in the "More teens will hangout around this lot" part, because the "around" part is lost in the translation, and it basically says the teens will come on the lot.

Thanks, that's a good note to include for our translators to ensure that they're very specific when we update the text.
  • Options
    PancakesandwichPancakesandwich Posts: 2,038 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham I understand that you are limited by how the coding works. But that's the problem. People are not as disappointed by the fact that you described the trait wrong, as they are that there is no improvement to sim behavior on lots. It would have been fantastic to get lots where teens hang out and do things together, like a crowd of teens descend on the lot and 'take over' it.
    It's just that community lot sim behavior is really bad right now. Most of the time it's not worth the hassle to go to one. That's why people are disappointed.

That's exactly what clubs in Get Together are for.
    @Pegasys But GT's clubs are only for Sims that your Sim knows. And there is a maximum of club members too. With clubs in Get Together you can't have random and totally unknown Sims entering your cafe or bar or whatever.

I think there's certainly room for discussion if this lot trait is benefiting your game, or how lot traits can be implemented in the future that could be more useful to you. Moving to the Feedback forum.
    @SimGuruGraham To be honest, it's not really useful at all if the teens simply walk by on the streets. I would like them to enter my cafe, not stare at it from the outside. Sure, it's good if you want to meet other teenage Sims by going outside. But when I first heard of the name Teen Hangout I thought about making a bar with things like card games and chess boards as well as computers in it.
    Instead of making the trait's name reflect the function, I'd prefer it if the function reflected the name. So it's actually a Teen Hangout, not a Teen Walkaround.
  • Options
    RyanOvergrowthRyanOvergrowth Posts: 42 Member
    I added it to one of my lots earlier and I didn't see much of a difference.
    I wish there was an option to choose the types of sims that would go to community lots rather than have it defined by traits. It would make more sense.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,869 Member
    @Neia or @luthienrising, will the No More Same Sims Everywhere mod interfere with the new lot trait? I'm very happy with the number of teen sims walking by my residential lot and don't want to jeopardize that.
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Aine wrote: »
    @SimGuruGraham I understand that you are limited by how the coding works. But that's the problem. People are not as disappointed by the fact that you described the trait wrong, as they are that there is no improvement to sim behavior on lots. It would have been fantastic to get lots where teens hang out and do things together, like a crowd of teens descend on the lot and 'take over' it.
    It's just that community lot sim behavior is really bad right now. Most of the time it's not worth the hassle to go to one. That's why people are disappointed.

That's exactly what clubs in Get Together are for.
    @Pegasys But GT's clubs are only for Sims that your Sim knows. And there is a maximum of club members too. With clubs in Get Together you can't have random and totally unknown Sims entering your cafe or bar or whatever.

You can add sims to your club that your sim doesn't know yet.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Wait wait wait...the lot trait is designed to only makes teens walk by? What good is that?!

Seriously curious what the idea behind the trait was. Sims that walk by on the street have a habit of stopping the conversation and splitting. To actually get teens at the TEEN HANGOUT, you'd have to go out on the street, get one to stop, talk to them, "Ask to Hangout," and then rinse and repeat this process until you have enough teens to make the lot feel like a teen hangout.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,869 Member
    Wait wait wait...the lot trait is designed to only makes teens walk by? What good is that?!

Seriously curious what the idea behind the trait was. Sims that walk by on the street have a habit of stopping the conversation and splitting. To actually get teens at the TEEN HANGOUT, you'd have to go out on the street, get one to stop, talk to them, "Ask to Hangout," and then rinse and repeat this process until you have enough teens to make the lot feel like a teen hangout.[/qu

Yep. That's basically the gist of the last few pages. :)
  • Options
    NinoosimNinoosim Posts: 387 Member
    This is so disappointing. When I first heard about the lot trait I had all these wishes for more like it to finally fine tune who can or cannot go somewhere. But instead we get this? What good is even this trait? I don't know about you but when I am playing on a lot, I am on the lot, not wandering around looking at the surroundings that I cannot customize... Worst is, after all this, the only thing they will do is change the lot description instead of taking into consideration what pretty much everyone is saying. Who thought this was a good idea, are those feedback forums a waste of time? Do you people even read what everyone is asking all the time? Tsk...
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Neia or @luthienrising, will the No More Same Sims Everywhere mod interfere with the new lot trait? I'm very happy with the number of teen sims walking by my residential lot and don't want to jeopardize that.

No conflict with my mod :)
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member

You need Get Together for the venue type to draw Sims to use the pool as a main feature. If you put a pool in a Park lot, some Sims will use it, but there won't be a strong draw. My experience with pools in Gyms is they're more ignored than pools in Parks.

Hi! Pools were patched into the base game when get together launched. They just dont have all the fancy pool decor.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    edited April 2017
    Not sure why this thread was moved to the Bug forum. The Teen Hangout lot trait is working as intended. We'll adjust the name/description it has in a future update to better communicate what the trait does.

Sorry Graham, but I have to speak my mind when I don't like something. I was very excited to make libraries, cafes and teen bowling etc.

This is incredibly disappointing. I have seen people request for ways to set ages on venues since before lot traits were even a thing.

What in all honesty is the point for this trait? I think it's safe to say the majority of us want a trait that draws sims INTO the lot, not around.

Not to mention everything about this trait is completely mis leading.

Even the patch notes told us we could make hangouts.

A New
    [|*]A small new snuck it’s way in, as teens are apt to do – you can now assign the Teen Hangout trait to your lot.
    Create a popular hangout at the ol’ bowling alley, the shops, or just an abandoned home…
    It’s like teen catnip.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

Ohh... haven't updated my game yet so I just found out about this trait.

It will be useful in the way of making sure that there are always teenagers enough in my save, so that is a bonus. I like knowing that the game will spawn a few new ones if there are too few of them.

But I echo the wish for a lot trait that brings an age-group to a lot. I would like to have traits for all the ages. Honestly I will most likely use the age-lot-traits from children up to Adults but I would like all of them.

Children - I want my kids to meet up at other places than the park. I would like to be able to make a library that is focused on kids and have books, and toys and a nice club with helpful librarians.

Teens - I want to make a hangout place for teens that is actually used by teens

YA - I wish that I could decide where my YA:s would meet up

Adults - Here is where the adults go, finally the kids have left the nest. Time for some fun before you get too old!

Elder - Meeting up with old friends

Currently the teen-trait seems to work mostly as population control, at least there will be teens in the world. But I would be so much happier if I could have more influence in where sims go and how to interact with them. At least I can get around it with clubs but it would be fun to use traits so I don't have to micromanage so much.
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited May 2017
    What's the point of calling/classifying it a lot trait, If it doesn't affect the lot itself? All teens do with Teen Hangout just gather around the district area, not in the LOT. What the 🐸🐸🐸🐸? Classify it as a Neighborhood Trait, not as a Lot Trait.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    HenriettaStrifeHenriettaStrife Posts: 62 Member
    This really isn't surprising. Disappointing, yes, but surprising? No. This is not the first time EA has mislead simmers on anything new with Sims 4. Remember the Get To Work trailer of aliens having a lively alien homeworld only to find out it's deader than a desert? Or how about the very first misleading which was with Newcrest. It was nothing but empty lots. Sims 4 isn't like the Sims 3. Blame the different people that worked on Sims 4 and Sims 3. With Sims 3, you could tell they put their imagination to the work and cared. Sims 4 felt rushed to get money. Teen Hangout lot shows it. Why would you call a lot Teen HANGOUT if there will be no teens at the lot? Did they forget what the term hangout means? Did they forget what being a teenager was like? Who's "brilliant" idea was it to "hey let's make a lot for teen sims but have the teen sims only walk by the lot rather than go into the specified lot! We can call it Teen Hangout! I AM A GENIUS!!" Next person was like "That makes no sense, sir." CEO probably replied with "I'm trying to pay bills here. I'm not going to sit around code in virtual teen dollies to enter a lot. They can take it or leave it. We'll keep making Stuff Packs and Expansions to shut them up." Bottom line is, the new people working on Sims 4 either are lazy, don't care, or lost creativity. And yet I still play the game because I loved Sims since Sims 2...
  • Options
    kaylaholidaykaylaholiday Posts: 224 Member
    I haven't tried this in a residential lot, but I've had no luck with it on a community lot. I assigned it to a teen hangout cafe, which had plenty of items that should attract teenagers. I sent my teen Sims several times and hung out for half the day, constantly zooming out to look around for passerby's. I didn't have a single teen come around! I'm going to try putting the lot in a more populated area and try again, but I know I had plenty of teens in the save that should have come around if they were attracted by the lot trait. I hope this is fixed because I'd love to give my teens more to do.
  • Options
    tiffrenee07tiffrenee07 Posts: 682 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    alan650111 wrote: »
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    Bummer, I was hoping to build a lot that mostly attracted teens to actually hangout, not one where my sim has to go on a wild goose chase to get them to hangout. Ah well, I'll be using the group system then.

Exactly. I am not usually this negative but this addition really has me upset. This sounded like a very useful trait and to see how little it does makes it completely useless.

Yeah, I was pretty excited for this because it reminded me of a mod I used for Sims 2 called 'Visitor Controller' that let you ban specific types of Sims from a lot. So I was able to make things like a Community College where I only allowed young adults. Here I was hoping to get a similar feature for Sims 4.
    I have no use for it either but seeing as how most are interested in an actual teen hangout lot trait, I hope the gurus will consider it,

I wonder if there is a mod like that for the Sims 4?
  • Options
    MarktnMarktn Posts: 554 Member
    I haven't noticed any difference.
  • Options
    zubrowkaszubrowkas Posts: 375 Member

The idea of having a 'walk-by' trait is rather asinine to me - and clearly to others in this thread. I imagine implementing traits that encourage specific life stages to visit the inside of a lot would go a long way for quite a few reasons. In a way it would be hitting many birds with one stone in that many have asked for daycare, school, arcade, etc. packs. If you could sequester sims of a certain age onto specific lots with a trait alone, it would at least make the ability to tell stories and create believable settings available until such requests get filled. (If they get filled!)

Sometimes it seems the devs don't really delve that deeply into what is most practical. Alas. :/
  • Options
    HennriettaHennrietta Posts: 212 Member
    Yeah it doesn't work in my game either. Which is a shame, hopefully they can figure it out because this trait would definitely help creating age specific lots.
  • Options
    BlueOvaleBlueOvale Posts: 740 Member
    Makes sense. Also looking forward to Seasons, where it will be snowing AROUND the lot.