Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Help, stuck on a build. Scrap it or keep it?

NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
Hello!

So I need help to decide whether to scrap my current WIP, or keep working on it.

Here's the story:

I did a room for Rosemow's weekly room challenge. This room turned into a pub. I called it King's Head Pub.

I really loved the feel of the room and how it turned out, and I had so many ideas on how to build on it.
Therefore I decided to try and complete the pub.

Great idea right? Sure. Until I remembered I'm terrible at doing exterior and landscaping. I am also somewhat limited by the room itself. It has a specific shape I have to try and work around. I wanted the building to have an English pub feel, since that's how I decorated the inside.

To keep the door in it's place and most of the original room, the extension was built, well, as an extension. Also, the walls are medium height, so this also causes a few problems.

I just don't feel it looks right, and I have no idea if I'm even moving down the right track here.

So please, give me some feedback so I can try and decide if I'm gonna keep working on it, or just scrap it and go back to square one.

JviSor7.png
c1b2hMW.png
tOSKWqf.png
mq25xSC.png
OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
My Sims 4 Showcase
My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"

Comments

• XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    I don't think you need the extension. In my opinion, it is the extension that is causing the most trouble with the build, and I don't see why you need it to keep the door where it is. That little bump-out on the right can have another gable roof over it (same as what you have over the two legs at the bottom) and it would look very charming.

So, I think you have a pretty good thing going. A couple of ideas (with no guarantee that they're good[ ideas): One, if you feel those two legs extend out too much, you can add a small vestibule entry between them; an extra room, so sims would enter vestibule and from there go on to the main pub room. Or two, you can add another floor level to give the whole building some more height or make it feel less wide. The stairs going up don't even have to be indoors.
  • NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    Well, the extension was a bit of a 'I need more space' issue and I took it literal to not disturb much of the original room and therefore.. it became an extension. I agree it's not pretty and kind of problematic.

That is the biggest problem with this... I CAN do many things and easily *fix* the problems. But in order to do so I also loose the original room that is the reason for the build. If I move the door I need to redo the interior. If I add more space on the sides to make it bigger yet more symmetrical then I also have to redo all the interior.

I guess that's my dilemma with this. Keep the original room and deal with these problems, or scrap the room and start from scratch. I am trying to avoid doing the latter for many reasons.. one of them probably stubbornness :p

Thank you for making some suggestions. The vestibule can be a good idea yes, I'll have a think about that. The extra gabled roof is also a nice idea.

I think I am going to just save the build as it is right now, and then I'm gonna start on a take two and see how I go. Try and removed the extension for one. I'll post my progress as I go along :p

Thank you for taking the time to give me some feedback on this @Xinqun ! I appreciate it :)

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

Alright, take two!

The extension is gone. I added a gabled roof as you suggested @Xinqun I also bit the bullet and moved the door, and even moved the wall up a little between the legs (lol).

I was then left with a huge boxy building, so I tried to offset it a little by adding some more gabled roofs and angles that 'poke out' a little, to break up the boxyness.

Thoughts? Anyone?

yJFSJeI.png?1
    mjR1iYM.png?2
    YWoNofB.png?1
    dXuNvKs.png?1

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    The build is looking so very nice! :) The changes that you have made look very great! The way that you have done the roofing gives such a nice look to the venue! The flower box windows look very pretty!
    The exterior looks very great! :)
    @rosemow thank you! I'm glad you like the changes! That must mean I am going in the right direction :) I will keep working on it and try to... landscape.... haha!

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

• StSciurusStSciurus Posts: 1,580 Member
    Your second attempt is definitely a winner! :smiley:
    @StSciurus Oh, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment! I guess I somehow salvaged the build then! Yay! Thank you

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

• XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    The asymmetrical roofing definitely adds to the "olde worlde" charm!
  • WildlingWildling Posts: 92 Member
    Now it's looking great! :)
    My only suggestion would be to use some terrain paint around the house so it feels more realistic
    Thank you @Wildling ! I'm gonna keep working on it and i'll for sure add the terrain yes :)

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger