Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on gameplay slowdown, input delay, and time distortion

Comments

• ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    Michiline wrote: »
    I would hate to lose my achievements! Do you keep the family tree when you move and restore from the library? My founder and my first three generations aren't there any more but who knows what I did to cause that.
    Not really. I started with a father in the original household who died but I kept the ghost around. Some time ago I noticed a lack of ghost sightings and found out that he seemed to have moved out of the urn. Same with two other random dead sims I kept in urns. They just vanished on their own.
    Now the family tree is showing that father figure above the still living household next generation but its an empty picture. Its possible to repair this by creating this sim again if you arent at the household limit of 8 members, cheat him to be the right member of still living family members, kill him and keep the ghost. But after several generations without a 2nd generation member still alive it seems pointless.

• Lakya8002Lakya8002 Posts: 3 New Member
    i have had the lagging issues with my sims games and have tried everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling the game, however i am also experiencing my gallery not loading.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Lakya8002 wrote: »
    i have had the lagging issues with my sims games and have tried everything short of uninstalling and reinstalling the game, however i am also experiencing my gallery not loading.

Hello @Lakya8002
    Try uninstalling and reinstalling Origin and see if that helps with the Gallery issues.
    Now Ive seen the rubber band time jump in my game too. I tried to get my sim away from the computer to fix a broken radio. Took him 20 ingame minutes to cancel browsing and to get to fixing. When he was done he was supposed to throw away the pile of trash. It was 8:13 when I gave him the order. At 8:26 the clock jumped back to 8:20 and he picked up the trash. He held the trash up until 8:36 when the clock jumped back to 8:26. I hit pause to write this.

A few moments after I started writing the game unpaused and jumped to ultra speed! Ive never seen this happening while switching from screen1/game to my screen2/browser.
    Zasz wrote: »
    Now Ive seen the rubber band time jump in my game too. I tried to get my sim away from the computer to fix a broken radio. Took him 20 ingame minutes to cancel browsing and to get to fixing. When he was done he was supposed to throw away the pile of trash. It was 8:13 when I gave him the order. At 8:26 the clock jumped back to 8:20 and he picked up the trash. He held the trash up until 8:36 when the clock jumped back to 8:26. I hit pause to write this.

A few moments after I started writing the game unpaused and jumped to ultra speed! Ive never seen this happening while switching from screen1/game to my screen2/browser.

Hello
    Try lowering the graphics settings and see if that helps the isues.
    edited April 2017
    No effect when lowering graphic settings. There is no indicator that the game is having graphical issues. Animations are normal. No graphical distortions or signs of graphic related lag. The delay happens seperate while the world around all sims is moving normally. This is NOT a hardware issue on my end or other gamers with over the minimum hardware to run the game.
    No effect when lowering graphic settings. There is no indicator that the game is having graphical issues. Animations are normal. No graphical distortions or signs of graphic related lag. The delay happens seperate while the world around all sims is moving normally. This is NOT a hardware issue on my end or other gamers with over the minimum hardware to run the game.

Hello
    You may like to post feedback on this AHQ EA thread
    http://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4-Bug-Reports/WORK-IN-PROGRESS-Issues-with-time-Clock/td-p/5095254
    They have all my savegames now.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Just wanted to post and say I'm happy to see this issue getting a fair amount of attention. Also wanted to thank rosemow for helping out so much; I've been rather busy and haven't played much recently, though that doesn't mean I still don't want this fixed.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Just wanted to post and say I'm happy to see this issue getting a fair amount of attention. Also wanted to thank rosemow for helping out so much; I've been rather busy and haven't played much recently, though that doesn't mean I still don't want this fixed.

I'm happy that this is gaining traction, because it's legitimately THE thing that prevents me from playing the game, I am worried that it seems to stump developers as to how they should fix this. Or even if they can.
    edited May 2017
    Maybe we quote the devs on this issue:
    *cricket sounds*

Not sure about you, but it seems to be getting a one sided attention from where I stand.
    Wanted to tag @SimGuruNick and at least point out a snippet from this article:
    The biggest reason, is the way the game is structured today. If you aren’t aware, The Sims 4 is split into two main components. You have the modding-friendly Python code (script mods), and the typically closed-off C++. These two languages do not talk to each other, so instead they’re bridged by something called Protocol Buffers, or “Protobuf”. Protobuf is a great technology but typically one you would use for data interchange over networks. In my observation, it seems the whole reason we received this open python code is because the programmers needed to replace the client portion of the game quickly when they pivoted to offline. The C++ portion is most likely the original server portion of the game. I cannot confirm the following, but I suspect this bridged communication is a large part of why the simulation has trouble keeping pace at higher speeds.

I'm not a programmer, I have no idea if any of this is true, looking in the right direction or relevant. I merely wanted to at least ensure it was seen in case it provides useful insights.
    The biggest reason, is the way the game is structured today. If you aren’t aware, The Sims 4 is split into two main components. You have the modding-friendly Python code (script mods), and the typically closed-off C++. These two languages do not talk to each other,
    Two different kinds of code for one game and then more code is added that increases the language gap even more... Are you trying to tell us they CANT fix the bugs because of this or WONT because new bugged content is more important?
    The biggest reason, is the way the game is structured today. If you aren’t aware, The Sims 4 is split into two main components. You have the modding-friendly Python code (script mods), and the typically closed-off C++. These two languages do not talk to each other,
    Two different kinds of code for one game and then more code is added that increases the language gap even more... Are you trying to tell us they CANT fix the bugs because of this or WONT because new bugged content is more important?

It's only a theory on what is behind the lag, and in a way it makes sense. I know I noticed that in Sims 2 or Sims 3, sometimes animations would kinda not work during x3 speed, but it was fine because the skill progression or need being filled still occurred. In Sims 4 that isn't the case; the animations and things like skill progression or need fulfillment seem linked, so if animations stop it means progress has as well. If skill progression and animations were occurring cross-languages (and again I know next to nothing about programming, so stop me if I say something stupid), then it would perhaps make sense that in the game's attempt to sync them up it ends up delaying both as one waits for an answer from another.

We don't know the answers to your questions. We can only wait on input from the Sims team as to how dire this is or isn't. For all we know this is useful info for Nick that'll allow him to remedy the problem faster, or perhaps it's just a worrisome sign of it's severity. All we can do is wait. I totally share your concern though.
    We don't know the answers to your questions.
    I just quote myself from above:
    Maybe we quote the devs on this issue:
    *cricket sounds*

So I spent the last days playing with new hardware. A few days ago I had this:

AMD FX-6110
    Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
    Corsair DDR3 2x4 GB pc18166
    Geforce 960

My issues were sometimes related due to lack of graphic power or cpu or RAM. So I thought. The random appearence of delay made no sense when everything looks smooth.

Now I have this:

Intel Core i5 7500 3.4 Ghz
    MSI H270 Gaming M3
    Patriot Viper elite DDR4 16 GB PC 2133
    Geforce 1080

I started a whole new game, imported household and house fresh from the library. The delay is less most of the time than before. This was expected. But on several occasions its bringing the game to a halt while the sims just stand around and shake their heads. Same behavior with superior hardware. There is no way you cant tell me this is a problem on our end!

And there is a new game pack coming out, no indication that this issue will be taken more "serious" than before. No blog, no news, no dev post, nothing. This only reinforces what Ive seen the whole time. There is no fix coming to this. But maybe in a few years the hardware will have evolved to provide it instead.
    So I spent the last days playing with new hardware. A few days ago I had this:

AMD FX-6110
    Gigabyte 970A-UD3P
    Corsair DDR3 2x4 GB pc18166
    Geforce 960

My issues were sometimes related due to lack of graphic power or cpu or RAM. So I thought. The random appearence of delay made no sense when everything looks smooth.

Now I have this:

Intel Core i5 7500 3.4 Ghz
    MSI H270 Gaming M3
    Patriot Viper elite DDR4 16 GB PC 2133
    Geforce 1080

I started a whole new game, imported household and house fresh from the library. The delay is less most of the time than before. This was expected. But on several occasions its bringing the game to a halt while the sims just stand around and shake their heads. Same behavior with superior hardware. There is no way you cant tell me this is a problem on our end!

And there is a new game pack coming out, no indication that this issue will be taken more "serious" than before. No blog, no news, no dev post, nothing. This only reinforces what Ive seen the whole time. There is no fix coming to this. But maybe in a few years the hardware will have evolved to provide it instead.

I must admit I have the same concerns. I mean Sims 3 was NOT left in an acceptable state, yet here we are with a family-based game pack and no news of a patch to fix the time distortion and input delay caused by simply playing toddlers and children. Yet people are too distracted by the potential of a shiny new toy to even raise complaints and concerns. Someone actually accused me of lying when I said toddlers have been linked to lag, I quoted SimGuruNick to show they more or less are, and I got a response of "nope ur wrong." Both amazing and sad how easily distracted people are, especially when Sims 3 shows it's 100% possible for these issues to worsen and remain unresolved...yet they're enabling it.

I understand the bug fix team may be limited in what they can do, either in workers available or funding (knew another game where all bug fixes needed to be greenlit and okay'ed before they were paid for), but this is absolutely becoming an issue that should probably put development on pause until it gets resolved. It's likely this will all worsen as more packs arrive (people that own City Living seem to complain more than others) and

As for you, I'd advise avoiding family play and x3 speed if you want to play. That's what I do and while I do get some degree of lag (which I shouldn't on my comp), it's tolerable and it's lag that disappears once I save, close down and re-open the game. Absolutely a pain for family-players, but at least if you aren't big on family play then the game remains tolerable until a fix arrives....IF a fix arrives. I play less though myself precisely because I don't want to invest time into a product that I'm unsure will be fixed soon.
    I was thinking about getting this family pack because I didnt age up my last teenagers just because of it. I grow tired of school, homework and the lack of time to properly play them. But it sucks to refuse new content because the devs dont talk to us.
    I must admit I have the same concerns. I mean Sims 3 was NOT left in an acceptable state, yet here we are with a family-based game pack and no news of a patch to fix the time distortion and input delay caused by simply playing toddlers and children. Yet people are too distracted by the potential of a shiny new toy to even raise complaints and concerns. Someone actually accused me of lying when I said toddlers have been linked to lag, I quoted SimGuruNick to show they more or less are, and I got a response of "nope ur wrong." Both amazing and sad how easily distracted people are, especially when Sims 3 shows it's 100% possible for these issues to worsen and remain unresolved...yet they're enabling it.

I understand the bug fix team may be limited in what they can do, either in workers available or funding (knew another game where all bug fixes needed to be greenlit and okay'ed before they were paid for), but this is absolutely becoming an issue that should probably put development on pause until it gets resolved. It's likely this will all worsen as more packs arrive (people that own City Living seem to complain more than others) and

As for you, I'd advise avoiding family play and x3 speed if you want to play. That's what I do and while I do get some degree of lag (which I shouldn't on my comp), it's tolerable and it's lag that disappears once I save, close down and re-open the game. Absolutely a pain for family-players, but at least if you aren't big on family play then the game remains tolerable until a fix arrives....IF a fix arrives. I play less though myself precisely because I don't want to invest time into a product that I'm unsure will be fixed soon.

Same. I'm just not going to buy anything for TS4 until I see a fix on the horrizon, because my game is unplayable. Why would I buy more stuff for something that I can not play?
    mirta000 wrote: »

Same. I'm just not going to buy anything for TS4 until I see a fix on the horrizon, because my game is unplayable. Why would I buy more stuff for something that I can not play?

I'm in the same boat. I'm following the news of the pack because I'm curious to see if the GP team can produce consistent quality or if Vampires were just a one-off, but it's more or less about my curiousity with the future of the franchise. I don't plan to make a purchase until these issues are resolved.

Sadly, people like ourselves won't make a dent if the majority of the fans allow this to continue, which seems to be the case. As I said, I quoted a SimGuru at someone regarding causes of lag and why family play was a big source, and in response I just got a "no ur wrong" followed by more hype about the pack. In the end, these kinds of boycotts sadly always wind up being a matter of principle than being effective; you do it for yourself, since sadly there always seems to be too many blind buyers that will make purchases regardless of quality or game stability.

And that really sucks. The phrase I often hear is that while Sims 4 has it's serious problems, it does have potential. It would be such a shame to see this game slowly become worse than Sims 3. Sims 3, last I checked, will advise players NOT to use every Expansion precisely because more packs = more lag and problems. I don't see why this rule would not apply to Sims 4 or any other game. There was a time that Bethesda had a rather infamous delay in the release of Skyrim DLC for Playstation specifically, all because their Playstation version couldn't handle the increased lag that would come with the DLC. This is standard stuff here; we can absolutely expect these problems to worsen, so a fix needs to be a major focal point. Whether that fix will come though....?
    Sadly, people like ourselves won't make a dent if the majority of the fans allow this to continue, which seems to be the case.
    The majority of the players overall, not just this game, dont report bugs or visit the forums to voice their concerns. But the number of people who do that should not matter.
    And that really plum. The phrase I often hear is that while Sims 4 has it's serious problems, it does have potential.
    When the mods point you to mods to fix certain issues, you know how much you can expect from the devs. Not even the mods think the devs are able to fix certain bugs!
    ims 3, last I checked, will advise players NOT to use every Expansion precisely because more packs = more lag and problems. I don't see why this rule would not apply to Sims 4 or any other game.
    I had a similar debate last week here. It went nowhere. Suddenly introducing more code into a laggy system isnt a concern. Some people just change their opinion on matters more often than some change their underware.

You just wait. I bet a modder will come up with a better solution before the devs start talking to us.
    Still no fix.
  • tiffrenee07tiffrenee07 Posts: 682 Member
    I really want to enjoy this game, especially with the Parenthood pack coming up. But the lag in this game is killing me! It takes my Sims forever to do one thing and then all their needs go down.
    I'm in contact with UK's consumer rights right now as it seems sort of wrong that a developer can sell you a product, then break it with an update and then you can't refund it :/
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top