Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA silence on gameplay slowdown, input delay, and time distortion

Comments

• ZaszZasz Posts: 806 Member
    That makes little sense. I was told repeatedly that it might be related to inventory but nobody can tell at what point it CAN cause problems. You should be able to tell me some idea at what point a decent computer cant handle the inventory any more.

On the other hand, I just sent two sims on a date and didnt experience any lag while in oasis springs lounge. This tells me that it can be related to the lot and the amount of interactions going on that the game needs to look out for. Could be the environment auras too because my main lot has lots of environment pushing decorations in every room like fossils, stones, space decorations, certain plants (little palms in every room and floor) and other environment pushing objects. It could also be auto lights which already cause two problems. The lounge doesnt have any of those which makes sense to conclude that its a problem of the current player built lot. Which correlates with the big vampire house and its immense amount of decorations and the lack of delay there.

Since the environment is created seperately/when entering that specific lot, we can exclude problems with the same game. Otherwise the game would save an error to a specific lot and try work things out while on that specific lot.

But I didnt have this problem until after I installed vampires. My hardware didnt change neither shortly before installing it or since then. So it makes little sense to me to blame my hardware for a problem that didnt occur until recently. Unless it really is related to the amount of objects on a lot that requires a better computer than I currently have.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2017
    @Zasz The only way to tell if inventory is causing a specific person's lag is to pull it out. And while it would be lovely to be able to say how much is too much, nobody can do that. Nobody can tell you either how many interactable objects on a lot is too much for your particular computer setup, nor can we tell you if that's your issue: the only way to be sure it's your issue is to empty a lot of things that can be interacted with and see if the problem is solved. Similarly, there's no way we can determine - because computer specs vary so much, with so many factors - how many relationships in a world is going to bog down an individual person's game, or whether playing with Origin offline will help them or not. We just can't. Like everyone else, if you're running into lag and don't want to just put up with it, your only option is trial and error. I understand that that's frustrating - I'd love if someone could have just told me how to fix the game-freezing problem I had the other day (it went away after I refreshed the gameplay folder and deleted the autosave, but I had to hard-reboot my computer :open_mouth: ), but in spite of having read everything in Bugs and Technical since fall 2014, I still had to use trial and error.

As for needing a better computer, that's not the only option. The devs do try to optimize the game for a wide range of computers. It's why @SimGuruNick and @SimGuruArvin ask us to provide saves or lot uploads with descriptions of what kind of lag issue we're seeing. The more examples they have, the better they might be able to identify coding issues that are causing bottlenecks in processing so that the devs can revise that code.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    As much as I appreciate your comment, you miss something very important. The modding communty or actually a specific modder designed a mod to counter that delay. Last update was november last year. Unfortunately it doesnt work since a few patches any more. Some random little coder fixed this problem in his free time while the overpaid developers as a team with the full code at their hands cant fix it. It would be hilarious if it werent so sad.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Zasz wrote: »
    As much as I appreciate your comment, you miss something very important. The modding communty or actually a specific modder designed a mod to counter that delay. Last update was november last year. Unfortunately it doesnt work since a few patches any more. Some random little coder fixed this problem in his free time while the overpaid developers as a team with the full code at their hands cant fix it. It would be hilarious if it werent so sad.

There are many causes to the lag symptom. The mod helped by bandaging over one. There is no universally experienced lag. Fixing things that aren't universal and that have many causes, and doing that at the cause level, is a much more complex endeavour. If you want to see a fix, help by sharing your saves with QA instead of bashing them.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,579 Member
    The only thing I have noticed with the Lag issue is the fact that on my new Super Machine there is no Lag unless I get that skill sound during the Lot Loading instead of the usual music. This is documented on my Topic funny sound getting desparate. On Playing on my older Machine with an older i7 CPU and an NVidia GTX 570 the lag is terrible and to the point of being unplayable and that is still a fast machine.
    What sort of Computer do you need to play The Sims 4 ??
    There are too many Bugs that are not being fix in a timely fashion I.M.H.O. while new content is still being released.
    Yes I have sent all details and files to Nick.
    Something is seriously wrong with this game engine as 64 Bit should make it use more Ram which should in theory increase performance.
    Kind regards James.

Yes, there's something wrong with the engine, but it could also depend on the neighbor/world that you're playing in the game, the lot size, the number of things you have on the lot and the number of stories/levels you have on there, etc etc. I personally find Oasis Springs and Forgotten Hollow to be the least laggy, it's almost really smooth in my game but other places are laggy especially San Myshuno.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    OP same but my biggest problem is the lag :|
    giphy_1.gif
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    @Zasz

Yeah that mod back in November did completely fixed my game and many others by the look of the comment section of that mod. I been complaining about the ultra speed over a year. .

Just what I did few days ago, share a save file to EA so they can find a way to fix it. The more laggy save files - the quicker it may be fixed.
  • YubellYubell Posts: 440 Member
    edited April 2017
    The main problem I have is with time (especially at night) if you speed it up at night while everyone is sleeping it'll go from 11:00pm-6:00am then jump back to 2:00am/1:45am it's always those two times that it jumps to regardless of am or pm, also the game will freeze but the timer will still be going on this will happen for about 3-5minutes before the time jumps back a hour before freeze, this one is annoying because it happens a lot in my game and makes it unplayable.

For the time freeze bug I have a few theories on what might be causing it, if you use MCC (which I do) the game allows you to have more sims in the city than the default EA setting, sometimes because the game isn't designed to load in notifications for all 200-300 sims at once it freezes up while processing each sims data e.g. new pregnancy, marriage, birth, move in. Funny enough I didn't get this bug as much when removing MCC so it might not be caused by it but the mod might be a contributing factor in problem 1 as well and making problem 2 worse.

I also get the problem of sims getting stuck on stairs in the T pose theirs heads move but everything else is stuck e.g.

https://68.media.tumblr.com/b24c9d38739d6908b15460a8885b8980/tumblr_okisaqK6Kk1v5g8yyo1_1280.png

Also simulation failures happen quite a lot:
    1. failure to follow instructions
    2. resetting instructions (mainly with dishes)
    3. romantic interactions fail to work properly, usually stare for hours at each other before completing interaction.
    4. reset to T shape.
    5. unable to delete interactions from queue without freezing of game.
  • charlottenickolacharlottenickola Posts: 7 New Member
    This is driving me nuts now, I can't even play my game anymore, if I change my clock at all my game bugs, if it is playing at the usual rate then pause or speed it up nothing happens for ages then it crashes more as it tries to catch up. It has made playing completely unbearable now.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    This is driving me nuts now, I can't even play my game anymore, if I change my clock at all my game bugs, if it is playing at the usual rate then pause or speed it up nothing happens for ages then it crashes more as it tries to catch up. It has made playing completely unbearable now.

Hello
    I am sorry that you are having these issues. Try seeing if lowering the graphics settings may perhaps help your issues.

Sometimes having a large amount of items in the sims inventories and household inventory can cause issues. Try removing some of the items from the inventories and see if that helps.

Try turning off origin in-game and see if that helps. To do that, go,to Game Library in Origin . Right click on The Sims 4 picture. Click on “Game Properties”. Then untick the box that enables origin in-game

Try playing in off line mode and see if that helps.

If your sims live in San Myshuno, try moving them to another world

So I got get together, city living and get to work yesterday. And the lag is different now. Its not just "sims stand around often and do nothing", the lag is there only for some at different times while sparing others and sometimes still affecting all. I cant accuratly describe it but it appears different than before I installed the expansions. It also is more noticable after some time playing.
    And it seems its connected to my main household. Not the sims but rather to the house itself. Possibly due to all the environment plants and decorations to increase happiness in every room. Its been suggested it might be my hardware. Ok. I got AMD FX-6110, 8gb RAM and a Geforce 960. Somehow I doubt thats not sufficient for this game. And Im not playing on all settings on the highest level. Correct me if Im wrong so I can use this as a justification to upgrade my hardware :smile:
    So I got get together, city living and get to work yesterday. And the lag is different now. Its not just "sims stand around often and do nothing", the lag is there only for some at different times while sparing others and sometimes still affecting all. I cant accuratly describe it but it appears different than before I installed the expansions. It also is more noticable after some time playing.
    And it seems its connected to my main household. Not the sims but rather to the house itself. Possibly due to all the environment plants and decorations to increase happiness in every room. Its been suggested it might be my hardware. Ok. I got AMD FX-6110, 8gb RAM and a Geforce 960. Somehow I doubt thats not sufficient for this game. And Im not playing on all settings on the highest level. Correct me if Im wrong so I can use this as a justification to upgrade my hardware :smile:

Helo
    It is great that you now own those 3 eps ! :)
    Try having your sims move to another home, to test to see how the lagging goes.
    If they are living in San Myshuno, try testing by having them live in a different world.
  • SquashbeeSquashbee Posts: 135 Member
    Time distortion frustrates me the most, but I do also experience gameplay slowdown and input lag. (GRR!!) Not so much on the musical chairs though, but I can't say I've paid much attention to that just yet.

I speed the game on 3 from midnight to 6 AM, but the moment I press speed 1, it rolls back a couple of hours to usually around 2 AM. My Sims' needs go out of whack, too, with their bars jumping up and down. I can never tell when to wake my Sims up anymore. I think they've got a restful sleep, but no - bars aren't completely full once they are woken up.

During hours that the household is awake, I generally run the game on speed 2 because that's the best and quickest speed to get Sims to accomplish things with the least amount of lag and gameplay delays.
    edited April 2017
    rosemow wrote: »
    Helo
    If they are living in San Myshuno, try testing by having them live in a different world.
    Two days ago my savegame got corrupted. That was before I got the expansions. Until then my house was in newcrest. Luckily I just saved the house and family. Unlucky me I lost the house inventory with my microscope pictures. I started a complete new game after clearing out the folders, without any mods, placed the house and family from the library to play it again. My house is again/still in newcrest but no other houses are there unlike before. Which is a good thing because I couldnt edit the neighborhood the way I liked.
    I gained many achievements the moment the sims finished a lvl10 skill but I lost some others that I might not get for awhile. Not happy but I dont care that much about them anyway.

No change with the lag. It definately is connected to the house that doesnt contain modded items. Either too many items with auras that my pc cant handle or its something messed up with the game. I sent the savegame to guru last week already. You might want to push him to tell the community how his research about this bug goes.
  • Dexter742Dexter742 Posts: 109 Member
    The time distortion is so frustrating, it only happens when my household is sleeping so I'm left with a full energy bar at 2am. The only way I've found to work around this is rapidly changing the speed using 1 and 3, it's still annoying but at least it goes fast and my sims sleep the whole night.
    tumblr_m9w3d7LGs31qgple6o2_500.gif
    Helo
    Two days ago my savegame got corrupted. That was before I got the expansions. Until then my house was in newcrest. Luckily I just saved the house and family. Unlucky me I lost the house inventory with my microscope pictures. I started a complete new game after clearing out the folders, without any mods, placed the house and family from the library to play it again. My house is again/still in newcrest but no other houses are there unlike before. Which is a good thing because I couldnt edit the neighborhood the way I liked.
    I gained many achievements the moment the sims finished a lvl10 skill but I lost some others that I might not get for awhile. Not happy but I dont care that much about them anyway.

No change with the lag. It definately is connected to the house that doesnt contain modded items. Either too many items with auras that my pc cant handle or its something messed up with the game. I sent the savegame to guru last week already. You might want to push him to tell the community how his research about this bug goes.

Hello
    The microscope picture items and other collection items that you lost can be unlocked using the debug mode if you would like to get them back thst way
    bb.showhiddenobjects
    Nah, I got most back by picking them from the walls. Its no big deal. There are things I like to earn normally.
  • MichilineMichiline Posts: 62 Member
    I am having these problems too. Time lag, sims standing and doing nothing, lag when it's time for school, etc. It got really bad after the toddlers update but two days ago it became unplayable. I admit that I have outdated graphics but it sounds like these issues are separate. I have a gtx 460 (i5 3.3ghz quad core and 8gb ram) which is old i admit but it was working fine on high graphics settings until the toddlers came. It was time for a new card anyway so I ordered a 1050 ti and I will let you know how that works. But it is really strange that sims will keep on moving and the game looks good with no stuttering except for my mouse which lags and jumps all over the screen and commands take forever to queue. Also sims will do things like chat even if there is nothing in their action cue and the chat command will show up after they finish a conversion and walk upstairs what's with that? This happens in almost every house but I am sure it is made even worse because my main family is a 9th generation legacy family with a big house I have been trying to get to the 10th generation. I have been playing since the first day the original sims game came out and I have never got to the 10th generation legacy and I am so close and now this happens! Ugh! I tried all the suggestions in this thread. Wish me luck with the new graphics card.
    Michiline wrote: »
    I am having these problems too. Time lag, sims standing and doing nothing, lag when it's time for school, etc. It got really bad after the toddlers update but two days ago it became unplayable. I admit that I have outdated graphics but it sounds like these issues are separate. I have a gtx 460 (i5 3.3ghz quad core and 8gb ram) which is old i admit but it was working fine on high graphics settings until the toddlers came. It was time for a new card anyway so I ordered a 1050 ti and I will let you know how that works. But it is really strange that sims will keep on moving and the game looks good with no stuttering except for my mouse which lags and jumps all over the screen and commands take forever to queue. Also sims will do things like chat even if there is nothing in their action cue and the chat command will show up after they finish a conversion and walk upstairs what's with that? This happens in almost every house but I am sure it is made even worse because my main family is a 9th generation legacy family with a big house I have been trying to get to the 10th generation. I have been playing since the first day the original sims game came out and I have never got to the 10th generation legacy and I am so close and now this happens! Ugh! I tried all the suggestions in this thread. Wish me luck with the new graphics card.

Hello @Michiline
    It is great that you have ordered a new graphics card :) I hope that it will help with your game issues,
    I hope that you reach the tenth generation in your legacy family! The number of relationships and the big house and furnishings that they have and have collected over the generations could be a cause of the game issues that you are experiencing. Try removing some of the items from the household and individual inventories and see if that helps

Hello @Michiline
    It is great that you have ordered a new graphics card :) I hope that it will help with your game issues,
    I hope that you reach the tenth generation in your legacy family! The number of relationships and the big house and furnishings that they have and have collected over the generations could be a cause of the game issues that you are experiencing. Try removing some of the items from the household and individual inventories and see if that helps

Thank you for replying:) PC upgrades are always thrilling so at least that helps with my game sadness and I do love new hardware. I'll try to pare down the household after I upgrade (hopefully tomorrow). Right now the cursor just crawls across the screen so I can barely even click on anything. I knew I needed an upgrade and I was in denial because the game really was working fine. Then I got cocky and starting getting the expansion and game packs, and I wanted more kids and the legacy family had some twins and got really big, then toddlers came and then the game hit a wall.
    Lol I got plum censored how embarrassing. I promise I didn't swear. o:)
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I have these problems too! Thanks for taking your time to create this useful thread. I am particularly troubled by the speed problems. Speed 3 is almost unplayable!!!
    This happens in almost every house but I am sure it is made even worse because my main family is a 9th generation legacy family with a big house I have been trying to get to the 10th generation. I have been playing since the first day the original sims game came out and I have never got to the 10th generation legacy and I am so close and now this happens!
    Just jumping in here so you avoid the issue I had recently. Make two savegames each day. My only savegame got corrupted and I lost all my achievements. Restoring the house and sims from the library only gets you back the skill achievements once each sim gaines a new lvl5-10 skill. Everything else is gone and must be redone.
    On that note, I wish the achievements were gamewide/accountwide, not savegame specific.
    This happens in almost every house but I am sure it is made even worse because my main family is a 9th generation legacy family with a big house I have been trying to get to the 10th generation. I have been playing since the first day the original sims game came out and I have never got to the 10th generation legacy and I am so close and now this happens!
    Just jumping in here so you avoid the issue I had recently. Make two savegames each day. My only savegame got corrupted and I lost all my achievements. Restoring the house and sims from the library only gets you back the skill achievements once each sim gaines a new lvl5-10 skill. Everything else is gone and must be redone.
    On that note, I wish the achievements were gamewide/accountwide, not savegame specific.

I would hate to lose my achievements! Do you keep the family tree when you move and restore from the library? My founder and my first three generations aren't there any more but who knows what I did to cause that.

The graphic card upgrade was a success. I got my new Nvidia 1050ti and it works real nice and I can play again YAAAY!!! I have everything on High and sims detail on Very High. It's a little choppy but it's a big save, big family, etc and I could lower it a little if it gets worse. But my mouse is functioning like normal now and it looks beautiful. I had my heir make pancakes and the whole family, six sims total, sat down at the table at the same time and had breakfast together with lively conversation between all and I didn't even have to make them do it.

I also ran dxdiag and on the first page noticed that I only had one core activated because I had the custom setting in msconfig but now I have all 4 cores firing. Wonder how long I was running it like that? *facepalm

I don't know if the school lag is still there because I don't have kids but at least I can play now and I'll find out soon with the 10th generation. :)

I would hate to lose my achievements! Do you keep the family tree when you move and restore from the library? My founder and my first three generations aren't there any more but who knows what I did to cause that.

The graphic card upgrade was a success. I got my new Nvidia 1050ti and it works real nice and I can play again YAAAY!!! I have everything on High and sims detail on Very High. It's a little choppy but it's a big save, big family, etc and I could lower it a little if it gets worse. But my mouse is functioning like normal now and it looks beautiful. I had my heir make pancakes and the whole family, six sims total, sat down at the table at the same time and had breakfast together with lively conversation between all and I didn't even have to make them do it.

I also ran dxdiag and on the first page noticed that I only had one core activated because I had the custom setting in msconfig but now I have all 4 cores firing. Wonder how long I was running it like that? *facepalm

I don't know if the school lag is still there because I don't have kids but at least I can play now and I'll find out soon with the 10th generation. :)

Hello @Michiline .
    I am so glad that the new graphics card is working well in your game and has improved your gameplay! :) That is so very great! It is great that your mouse is working correctly now.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top