Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Improving and making other life stages more advanced

With the amazing toddler update, I came to realize how much of a difference a well made, complex life stage can make to the entire game.
I think a lot of us can agree that many of the current life stages in the game are a lacking. It's not about the objects and activities. It's the sims themselves. I can't tell Teens, YA, adults apart if my life depended on it- most people can't. It's not just the height, I've grown to accept the height thing. It's their behavior and the appearance of their faces. YA and adults were never really different in the Sims 3 either, other than a few wrinkles here and there. They are practically the same which is fine. Whats not fine in the fact that teens don't differ in behavior nor physical appearance. Even their faces don't change. Teens behave like adults, apart from the odd "ask about woohoo" and "do homework" interaction, along with the fact they they attend school and can only get a part time job, but that's it. They're YA/Adults to be honest. The behavior they display is no different to adult sims. The fact that the sims team had to put a label to help us and probably them figure who is who says it all.

Elders, these guys have always been given minimum recognition. They're really just older looking sims. More unique interactions and behaviors would of been nice to set them apart from Teens, YA and adults. At least they look different. I don't think they sound different though. In TS2 and I think TS3 their voices would change once they hit the elder life stage.

Children are exempt from the most ridiculous tasks like gardening, I can understand them not being able to cook - that can make sense to most of us, but to not to able to water a few plants here and there? LOL come on. Also all children are the same. Again it's a problem with the sims themselves, not their lack of interactive objects. They all behave in the same way. If they all looked similar how can you even tell them apart just from their aspirations and their 1 trait? You can't. I tried it. They're not child like at all. They look & sound like kids but they're really mini adults without certain interactions being available to them.

Babies.. No comment.

Toddlers- to me right now along with YA/adults are the most advanced lifestage. How the heck did that happen?

What sort of things do you wish to see with other life-stages?

Comments

• meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    They should've given teens their own aspirations. Like they did with the kids and toddlers, with different skill focuses and actions to complete them-- like School Nerd (logic,video gaming), School Allstar (athletic), Class Clown (comedy), Socialite (Charisma), Rebellious (mischief) etc And then use like a hidden lifestage trait to affect the probability of your sim teen feeling a certain way--- based on their aspiration---not traits; like school allstars are more prone to being energized and confident, while class clowns are more prone to being playful and embarrassed.

Forgive the tangent, but I think traits should be done away with here. Our sims are too manic and they all seem the same; given the fact that we only get 2 traits. In other words, they should bring back the point system/zodiac system for sims.

• BlargianBlargian Posts: 197 Member
    I see a big difference physically between teen and young adult sims. Mainly in the face definition, shoulder length, and breasts. A lot of sims that I would call unattractive in their teenage life stage grow up to become good looking sims.

The problem I have is, like you said, their behaviour is no different. By the time I get them to the top of a part time career and their grades to 'A', I'm sick of them being teens. In the other life stages I find myself unwilling to move on (I have aging turned off), but teens just seem to be a pest half the time. I play them but feel myself wanting this from Sims 3, like proms and boarding school. Maybe, if they implemented university, we could do entrance exam stuff with teens?
    KYkPuFT.png?1
    Bloodlines: Gustav & Ishka's Legacy | Family Tree: Echo + Plum | ID: Jalooloo
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited March 2017
    Completely agree with you, including realizing that after toddlers. I could cope with almost anything if the life stages were great and unique in important ways, but they're not (accept indeed for toddlers).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    There are a lot of things that put me off TS4 but the teens are one of the main things. Not the only thing, but one of the main things.

I was playing with some TS3 teens yesterday, an old favourite family of mine. I could tell the teens apart easily. When I played the TS4 Free Trial last year I couldn't tell them apart from adults and I know that I am not the only one to say that.

For TS5 I want to see as much care go into the life stages as much as everything else. No shortcuts next time, please.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg