Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bowling Night = Recycled Stuff?

WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
So...for the hair

Vintage Glamour

407016c84d032b681923c60065dacc01.png

So-Called New Hair from Bowling Stuff

08eeac3584efb0e8cbd72da4fe1cd035.png

Now for the 'outfit'

Get Together

12-05-15_1-47-02-AM-300x169.jpg

Bowling Night 'New' Outfit

08eeac3584efb0e8cbd72da4fe1cd035.png
Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?

Comments

• WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    No, those are not the same meshes at all. Though I would prefer that bowling sweater come with a different underneath top when granny goes bowling I would rather not see her sagging chest or crepe neck. ;)

The black 'shirt' is obviously the same mesh

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited March 2017
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    No, those are not the same meshes at all. Though I would prefer that bowling sweater come with a different underneath top when granny goes bowling I would rather not see her sagging chest or crepe neck. ;)

The black 'shirt' is obviously the same mesh

Well...o.k. But the sweater is new. I really don't like those tops, since all the elderly in game decide they should wear cropped, belly button tops, too. I remember in TS2 having to get a mod fix for all the over kill cropped tops in TS2 for females and males. Maxis seemed obsessed in making sure every top in TS2 was cropped and none were long enough to reach the top of bottoms' wear/skirt, jeans, etc. even for males.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    It is very similar! Too similar.
    I have a feeling you'll be making this thread for every pack. Just because you can.

This is the first time I ever made such thread.....but I guess the new trend in 2017 is over-exaggeration.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • FabooshFaboosh Posts: 160 Member
    Omg I am so underwhelmed! Not to rain on anyone's parade but a bowling pack? I just can't with this and I buy everything
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Copy/paste can be worrisome, but derivatives are fine. Derivative work is used all the time in game development to save time and costs (for example, they sometimes re-use generic animations in new interactions that follow a generic template, such as the "Talk About" interactions, since there's no real need to make a new one). You also have to consider that if the same artists are working on the same material and have a unique style, that style is going to show. It doesn't necessarily mean they're even trying to be repetitive; they may just gravitate toward similar things repeatedly.

And when it comes to clothing and hairstyles, you have to consider that there are only so many different styles that exist, much less are popular among the kind of people who would play the sims.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    Well, what I do see that is new is the bowling, the seats, the ball rack, the table and those booth seats.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    The hair isn't the same. It's shorter. It's on the other side. The bangs/hanging hair bits are different. The waves are different.

The tops are different. The new one has sleeves and is a sweater, not a light vest thing. The middle bit is a different texture, size, and the collar is shaped differently.

Similar =/= receycled. :|

'recycle
    riːˈsʌɪk(ə)l/Submit
    verb
    past tense: recycled; past participle: recycled
    convert (waste) into reusable material.
    "car hulks were recycled into new steel"
    synonyms: reuse, reprocess, convert into something, reclaim, recover; More
    return (material) to a previous stage in a cyclic process.
    "the amino acids are recycled in the synthesis of other proteins"
    use again.
    "he reserves the right to recycle his own text"'

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
    Triplis wrote: »
    Copy/paste can be worrisome, but derivatives are fine. Derivative work is used all the time in game development to save time and costs (for example, they sometimes re-use generic animations in new interactions that follow a generic template, such as the "Talk About" interactions, since there's no real need to make a new one). You also have to consider that if the same artists are working on the same material and have a unique style, that style is going to show. It doesn't necessarily mean they're even trying to be repetitive; they may just gravitate toward similar things repeatedly.

And when it comes to clothing and hairstyles, you have to consider that there are only so many different styles that exist, much less are popular among the kind of people who would play the sims.

Yea I can see the whole 'artist' thing happening

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    I had the same though when I saw it, I feel like they took an existing hairstyle and piece of clothing, and just modified it a bit, I even did took a screenshot of the outfit we already have to show a friend how similar it was.

I wish they would stop wasting time on stuff packs, and would use that time on fixing bugs and glitches.
    gCQKjq4.png
    edited March 2017
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    The hair isn't the same. It's shorter. It's on the other side. The bangs/hanging hair bits are different. The waves are different.

The tops are different. The new one has sleeves and is a sweater, not a light vest thing. The middle bit is a different texture, size, and the collar is shaped differently.

Similar =/= receycled. :|

'recycle
    riːˈsʌɪk(ə)l/Submit
    verb
    past tense: recycled; past participle: recycled
    convert (waste) into reusable material.
    "car hulks were recycled into new steel"
    synonyms: reuse, reprocess, convert into something, reclaim, recover; More
    return (material) to a previous stage in a cyclic process.
    "the amino acids are recycled in the synthesis of other proteins"
    use again.
    "he reserves the right to recycle his own text"'

lol, don't you know any mesh of a particular object isn't actually new in this game or any other game. You know that. Say you have a box as decorative (TS2) you just change the bhavs and Sims can sit on it. Thus, with a mesh redesign you simply change how it looks outwardly and it becomes an ottoman. They rarely reinvent the wheel.

Hair meshing. You take a mesh that already exists and add or subtract and get a different look. 99% of the time they don't reinvent the wheel. < nobody does.

ETA: The mesh in picture, add hair extensions to the mesh as many developers would and a whole new hairstyle..only longer. Nobody throws out something to start over. There aren't that many actual new meshes of anything in any game.
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    MissCherie wrote: »
    I had the same though when I saw it, I feel like they took an existing hairstyle and piece of clothing, and just modified it a bit, I even did took a screenshot of the outfit we already have to show a friend how similar it was.

I wish they would stop wasting time on stuff packs, and would use that time on fixing bugs and glitches.

The stuff pack crew would not be the gurus working on bug fixes. So, that's not going to help bugs. They wouldn't or may not have the expertise to 'code' when they may only be talented in meshing.

You realize the video game development industry is completely oversaturated, right? Lots of would-be game devs, not many positions open. If any of you have kids that say they wanna grow up to make video games, kindly tell them not to, because I've only heard some rather sad stories about the working conditions in the gaming industry. Sadly a LOT of kids grow up thinking it'll be great, thus there's an oversupply of workers. That's why indie development is on the rise: because people with education in that field pretty much have nothing to turn to beyond trying to make it on their own.

Thing is, developers know this, and they can use it to REALLY put their workers under pressure. If you know there's about 16 people eager to take your job the moment you slack off, well, you probably don't slack off a whole lot. There's even a practice known as "crunch time" that they're trained in, where basically at the high point of a game's development, it's fairly common an employee may be sleeping in the office or not see their family for days/weeks cause they're worked so hard it's simply a waste of time to bother driving home; eats into their time off. It's no secret I prefer criticism to praise in terms of providing constructive feedback, but despite that my heart still goes out to the staff, who I'm sure get worked to the bone more than EA will ever admit to us.

My point with all this is that the idea that these Stuff pack employees would be woefully incompetent the moment they're re-assigned to work on patches, game packs or expansion packs...? Ridiculous. I mean it can happen here and there, I'm sure, but it's definitely something to view as the exception, not the rule. An employee is an employee, and I struggle to imagine how one would obtain the knowledge to design meshes and textures, yet lack any knowledge of coding or scripting, THEN get hired by a triple-A game development studio.

And even if that were the case, there's still a fault that can be fixed: stop hiring so many employees that only know how to make meshes and textures, start hiring more scripters and coders. Basic supply and demand.

In short?
    I wish people would stop acting like it's somehow impossible for EA to redirect workers to suit customer requests and demands. It's not.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Keks_MilchKeks_Milch Posts: 513 Member
    edited March 2017
    Its not recycled...
    sVcs7MO.jpg
    Similarities in shape or style are not indicative of assets being "recycled". These assets were built from the ground up to fit the aesthetic of our bowling pack.

Thank you! I can't wait to see the trailer and get this pack. Been waiting for this Stuff Pack!
  • DrakoVongola2DrakoVongola2 Posts: 60 Member
    They're similar but hardly the same, lets save those accusations until we see the whole pack o-o

Very unlikely that the people drawing and designing stuff packs are the people programming bug fixes
    Similarities in shape or style are not indicative of assets being "recycled". These assets were built from the ground up to fit the aesthetic of our bowling pack.

Well, releasing those stuff packs packs back to back might have been the most ideal since they tend to have the same 'style'

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member
    They're similar but hardly the same, lets save those accusations until we see the whole pack o-o

Very unlikely that the people drawing and designing stuff packs are the people programming bug fixes

People need to stop to act like the team making the SP are 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and have no computer knowledge, if they work for EA they must have some coding/programing skills, people act like if EA decided tomorrow to cut the SP, that the team would be fired cause they cannot do anything else than designing clothing/hairstyles.
    gCQKjq4.png
    Wow....this thread has been moved to Speculation & Rumor....that was desperate of the forum modders >.> How is it speculation or a rumor if it has been officially announced? Lame.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
    Yoko2112 wrote: »

I really like the aesthetic you were going for with this pack :) It's retro, but not Roaring Twenties like Vintage Glamour Stuff. Feels 50s-esque with a modern twist to it.

All I'm seeing yet again with this thread is that people don't properly look at something but immediately complain. As always.

Stop complaining about complainers, it just makes you as worse.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?