Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDK, Barbara? (We are bad at naming things) -- A United Reading Heptagon

Comments

• cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    @Cement Lol @ your question being washed away...

@AudreyFld Check this out: Sims 4 Legacies. Think of it as going shopping for which story idea whets your appetite to write about Ben!

I personally would love to see Reese and Brooke and their kids continue on, but I know I'm very much in the minority there, lol.

I love all our our discussions outside of discussing everyone's stories too! I mean, I know the the whole point of starting the circle was to read and discuss everyone's story, but still.. I like finding out people's favorite dinosaurs and which of their characters they don't even like, haha. Plus, I know we'll get to the stories eventually. This is like a wonderful book club where it takes three meetings to discuss the assigned book because we're wine drunk and off on a tangent!

That actually makes me think of another question! This one might upset Amanda... but I'm asking it anyway. :p *hugs to Amanda to protect her from my evil looming question*

Pick one character from each story who you just don't like. Not necessarily a character you hate, or your least favorite or anything, just one you can explain why you're not a fan. Whether it's their behavior, or that you know you could never be friends in real life, or something petty like their hair (haha, j/k, unless that really is the basis for it ;) ) I think it will be an interesting exercise for each of us to articulate why a certain character grinds your gears.

Feel free to say no to answering this question, I don't really want to make anyone upset.
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    For sets, I do a combination of the gallery and building my own. A lot of them I'll go onto the gallery and then edit the heck outta them (the roads and town settings, for example). I find that to be easiest. In TS3 I build all my own sets and they looked exactly like @Cement s . It would build multiple sets on the same lot, some even the same building, and they would all be half done on the outside (except if I needed outside shots).

As for the characters that we dislike... this is gonna take a while.
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
    For sets, I do a combination of the gallery and building my own. A lot of them I'll go onto the gallery and then edit the heck outta them (the roads and town settings, for example). I find that to be easiest. In TS3 I build all my own sets and they looked exactly like @Cement s . It would build multiple sets on the same lot, some even the same building, and they would all be half done on the outside (except if I needed outside shots).

I can't wait to see what y'all come up with. I actually picked all my characters. Most of them won't surprise the writers of each story I think, lol. Just gotta type it out.

I can't wait to see what y'all come up with. I actually picked all my characters. Most of them won't surprise the writers of each story I think, lol. Just gotta type it out.

I even chose a character from my own story... which I also expect to surprise no one.
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited August 2017
    I'm gonna have such a hard time with this discussion :joy: Its going to be a struggle to read/write feedback that is 100% negative haha but I'll try to be brave enough both to participate and to read the replies :lol:
    snvAF3B.png
  • ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    Before I start I just want to say that I love how all the characters are written and wouldn't change them. I also enjoyed reading about all of these characters and I would not change the stories at all. :) Also, I'll use the spoiler tag for any big plot points I might reveal.

@CitizenErased14
    Joce: I am probably alone in this but I really really dislike Joce. From the beginning of her generation where she wallows about being second to her twin but doesn't say/do anything about it I was disenchanted with her character. Then she uses this pent up anger against them when she is confronted by them about the whole Mark thing. Realistically, I don't think anyone could expect their parents and siblings to be okay with that relationship at first (he's older than her father, if I recall). It takes some adjusting, especially given the whole Hazel/Lucas thing. I'm not saying she didn't have a right to be upset about how most of her family reacted but she could have also tried to be more understanding. Their worry and anxiety came from a place of love and overall strangeness, not anger and hate. The fact that she responds to them with anger and hate, idk, never sat well with me. Also, she uses a great guy that she knows is in love with her and then cheats on him on top of that. Just. No.

@Cement

Maeve: I am bias, because I am partial to Murphy, so she goes on my poop list for borderline using and abusing him. In other aspects I do not really dislike Maeve. She might be a little naive (she dated a married man for a long time without catching on, even with a ton of excuses on his part), but that doesn't bother me. It's just how she behaves with Murphy /shrug/

@LillyDoves
    Juniper: Um, I am not okay with her killing her husband. I actually liked her up until that chapter, but once she crossed that line there is no forgiveness on my part.

@AudreyFld

Newt: This one was hard, because I have not read his pen pal letters yet, but I find it hard to believe that I'll ever excuse/forgive his abuse of Kat. While his childhood/mother might give me better insight into why he does what he does, it doesn't make it okay or excuse it.

@Sourocha
    Esmeralda: I'm not fully caught up, but I am sure no one will be surprised about this one. She's a serial killer parading around under a facade, killing innocents if they start to catch onto her disguise.

@cecerose0208

Kenya: Oh jeez, I couldn't think of one from this story since even characters like Heaven and Luca I find entertaining and fun. I ended up choosing Kenya because I dislike the way she treats Cristian in regards to other women. I might have missed something along the way but Cristian seems like a good man, and his dialogue with her is always so loving (if not slightly mischievous), that her possessiveness kinda of irks me. She has a lot of redeeming qualities (I do believe she is a good grandma/ma figure, for example), but I just think the way she behaves towards Cristian is less than healthy.

Christina?: Ah, I have a hard time choosing one for my own story as well, at least just based on what has transpired so far. This is who it is for now, but it changes soon. Anyways, even though I understand where Christina is coming from in regards to how she treated Willow, it doesn't make it right. She's overly judgmental towards people she is supposed to love and respect and, like Joce, tends to keep her feelings bottled inside until they explode. Which I strongly dislike in an individual.
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    -Fires up the grill-
    ROAST MY CHARACTERS GUYS, I'M READY :joy::joy::joy:

I think this will be a fun conversation at most, I love making fun of my characters as I write so I'd love to hear you guys roast them too!
    haha, I feel mean

I have a few thoughts for some characters off the top of my head, though I don't think I have a high degree of dislike for any particular character to get it to "hate" (aside from a certain character of my own) :^)
    edited August 2017
    Edited to remove whiny annoyingness :tongue: Nothing to see here, folks! Move along!
    Post edited by CitizenErased14 on
    snvAF3B.png
  • AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @cecerose0208 - You mean characters from everyone else's stories? That won't be too hard - lol....I thought of some right away!

So I will start with your story and it will honestly be no surprise at all! I think most of your readers are just done - d o n e - done with her! Heaven...in case anyone isn't caught up:
    She has sex with her husband, then leaves him breaking his heart and her children's heart, got pregnant during said sexual encounter, has baby and calls the fam to come take the baby because a baby didn't fit her lifestyle saying it was because it needed the love a family - or some messed up logic like that! Augh!

@Sourocha - Hah! You give us soooo many that we could love to hate but my choice is James.....The truly evil characters - they are just evil.
    He friggin married the woman that killed his sister and her husband then when she got out of prison has two kids with her and moves in with his parents! So wrong! No good is going to come from this.

@arrowleaf - not that many characters yet, but I have to go with Christina. She gets too high and mighty with Willow who is supposed be a long time friend.

@LillyDoves - No doubt it would be Juniper. She killed her husband! At first I thought, okay, she was a vampire and in order to 'save' her children she may have done something wrong, but when she went after the man that loved her and her kids, nope. Done with her!

@CitizenErased14 - This wasn't hard for me and Amanda already knows who it is! Stefan. I despised the way he treated Jonas! Even when he came back I couldn't get warm and fuzzy with him.

@Cement - Your story, Oh my gosh! I know a lot of people don't like Peter/Lyle but I kinda do in a weird way. So it isn't him. I think it might be Royce - even though he's dead - not unlike a lot of your characters! But I hated the way he cheated on his wife when he knew she was sick. It's sad because I think he really loved Joseph. Maeve is probably a a close second.

And for my own story - hmmm - I think Reese. HAHA! Got ya'll on that one I bet! A lot of isn't his fault, it's the circumstances, but he just seems like someone that thinks his s. hit don't stink.
    @CitizenErased14 - We aren't criticizing anyone's writing! And this isn't what I perceive to be negative feedback at all. It's fun! We all get emotionally involved with these characters and it is fun to vocalize what we don't like about them. That shouldn't make you upset! Of course, if you really, really love one and think they should be likable and someone says they don't like them, maybe I can see how that would upset you. But everyone has different perspectives on how someone should behave in certain situations.

Just like @Arrowleaf said - I love all the characters and wouldn't want to change anything about your story or anyone else's for that matter. If they were all the same with the same personality it would get boring and no one would read. :) Chin up Amanda! We love your <3 babies and everyone else's too!
    edited August 2017
    This post never ever happened.... This is not the post you're looking for.

O09ha56.gif
    snvAF3B.png
    ​Gonna answer my own question!

Audrey's Starting over: Reid's Momma. That 🐸🐸🐸🐸 is the worst. She doesn't care at all about the collateral damage of her actions. She slept with her sister's husband and got run out of town. She's been plotting for forever for her son. First to take Leroy's spot on the football team, to get the girl for her son (that she doesn't even think is good enough), finally to gain Newt's inheritance for her own son. She cray! She's like the fierce mama bear who'll do anything for her son. If the story were told from her perspective, it'd be Lifetime movie level cray.

Arrow's Landon Legacy: Christina. She has her moments where she is a really good friend, so I can't take that away from her, but she can be a bit too dramatic for my taste. Plus she's so judgy! I actually think I get where it comes from. She has these people who've been in her life forever, and she thinks they have all these shared values, but then suddenly, boom! Out-of-character behavior, or rather confirming her fears that maybe the behavior is in character, and she doesn't handle it well. She just wants the people she loves the most to stay the same people with the same values, not to switch it up on her with no warning. But I still don't like her, in spite of my being able to rationalize her behavior, lol.

My own story: Heaven. I kinda wrote her into a corner, but unlike my other Sims who I've attempted to do it to, she just stayed in the corner. She's not at all who I thought she'd be when I made her in CAS. She's just not interested in her life in Newcrest at all I keep waiting for her to do something interesting or give af about her family... still waiting...

Cement's White Lies and Half Truths: Murphy. He's loyal, which is a trait I deeply admire. And there's a lot to like about him. But he's annoying on purpose, I feel a tiny bit like he used his help for pregnant Maeve to push the relationship in a direction it wouldn't have gone otherwise. He let's her Whoop. His. A$S. And for what? Plus he impeded a murder investigation. Everything he's done can be explained (imo) in the name of loyalty, but it still sucks, lol.

Amanda's A2A: Tobi. I loved him as a character, but I also disliked a lot of his initial reactions to things. Momma won't help you find your dad?
    Invite him to town against her wishes. Things with the wife get tough? Have an emotional affair. Daughter has a relationship you don't like? Be an 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about it. Son is gay? Be an 🐸🐸🐸🐸 about it. Other son is killed? Become an alcoholic. He made soooooo many wrong turns in his life and hurt just about every member of his nuclear family, including himself. He made up for it is so many ways, and repaired every single relationship he hurt, and I gotta give him credit for that. But the part of me that believes the people you're supposed to treat the best are your loved ones struggles to be okay with all he's done.

Lilly's Bay Family Chronicles: Hayden. I know there are two sides to every story, and we don't know the whole story yet. But, I have a hard line on what counts as consent. He didn't have it with Valentine, pure and simple. Watching him and Seth outsmarm each other makes for entertaining reading though. I can't wait to get the whole story of what went down with them and why they're rivals.

Ocha's Life of the Majolentes: Gabrielle. I've just never been a fan of how she treats her man. She comes off as soooooo dismissive of him. I'm all for self-care. And she's been through a lot and seems to be doing the best she can to hold it together for her kids. They have moments of happiness obviously, but just throughout the entire first season, she said and did things I just can't condone. So basically, I knew she was doing her best, but her best wasn't good enough.​
    edited August 2017
    @CitizenErased14 *more hugs* I don't wanna make anyone upset, I'm sorry!

Here's my reasoning for this question. We love talking about the characters we love and gushing on details about them. But people often avoid the ones they aren't huge fans of.

Our circle is so insightful and I really just thought it would be cool to get the amazing insight I value in our circle about the characters less mentioned by each reader.

And y'all did not disappoint. But I will happily stay away from questions like this going forward.

*One more hug for Amanda*

*Group hug...?*
    @cecerose0208 Please do not avoid questions like this for my sake! I think it was a great and interesting question! The problem is with me, not the question (or any of the answers, for that matter!) It's seriously fine :)
    snvAF3B.png
    edited August 2017
    @Arrowleaf I love your insight on Kenya. From an objective perspective, the way she lets her jealousy consume her when it comes to Cristian is definitely in the unhealthy box! Cristian has never once discouraged her from acting that way, he just smiles and jokes it off. Lucky for them, it's never caused any issues, but had a few life situations gone differently, they would've had a very destructive relationship.

Their relationship is one of my favorites of all my Sims, but I could never be with someone like Kenya, you know?
    Post edited by cecerose0208 on
    edited August 2017
    @AudreyFld your breakdown of Heaven is spot on. She sees herself as this logical person who puts brain over heart, but she keeps doing all these destructive things that take things in a direction that's usually not towards her professed priorities.

And you dislike Reese?! I'm mean yeah, he gets high and mighty when it comes to protecting his mom. But he totally had to be the man of the house. That affects a kid, you know?
    I also want to say the same as @Arrowleaf that I do love everyone's story and I think every one of these characters contributed something to the story. I don't hate the characters listed, just dislike for my own reasons, though I do think I might be the underdog for a few of these :cold_sweat:
    -pre-group hugs everyone-
    Alrighty, now to go down the list, hopefully it all fits. I know I get a bit chatty so I'll put my reasoning in spoilers... :joy:

@AudreyFld's Reese Murdock
    God, I hated Reese's hair during his long hair don't care days. :joy:

Reese's first girlfriend, I think her name was Jade? The one who wanted to abort their kiddo. Being a religious person, my thoughts on abortion favors one side, but I do understand Jade's reasoning for wanting to. It makes sense she'd want to go for that option because they were young and scared, and when you're a teenager, most teenagers think about reputation. Reese's circumstances were different from hers, so he had to forcefully grow up--but still, I found that Reese was a bit too airheaded at the time to realize what it would do to a young girl. You gotta wrap that tool to catch that drool. But noooo

Kate also agreed with his choice, but I think of it being her putting herself in Jade's shoes with an idea of "would I abort Reese?" Of course she wouldn't. From her point of view, I'm sure she thinks of it in the big picture: "How would Jade feel later when she's older about the 4 month old baby she aborted at 16/17?"
    But to Jade, she doesn't think of that now. Maybe she would regret it, or maybe she wouldn't. I could always pull the, "it's her body" reasoning, but I also think at 4 months that the baby is too far along to just call a thing to chuck out.

But I'm trying not to let my religious background cloud my judgements. :joy:

Yes, the roll dictated his choices, but man, although I didn't agree with his thoughts most of the time, I did love the wild developments he went through. Like seriously, Reese? If you get in heat, package your meat. Who cares if you think it's uncomfortable!!1 Think of the consequences, you dang teenager -shakes cane from porch-

In the end, Reese did become a better person throughout it all. He had to grow up fast and his circumstances weren't ideal, but he did it. Now with Brooke, he's become an attentive older brother and father to--not really Ben, but--his younger siblings and his children, and was definitely there for Kate to lean on when she needed it in the times when she wanted to be stubborn.

And I do love him too, because he's totally right in saying Maddie is the cutest baby when he did those cute baby contests :sunglasses:

@Arrowleaf's Christopher "Topher" Levitt
    I thought he was adorable because I automatically imagined his voice to be like Donnel from Fire Emblem:Awakening, and Donnel's my boy so...

But really, Topher, what are you thinkiiiing.
    He and Willow are in a relationship, but he didn't think for himself to look at things from her perspective or to ask her to understand.
    Christina is definitely the kind I see that goes hard in one direction, so for her to blow up one incident as something more--As her own brother,
    he should be already used to this and to take what she says with a grain of salt. He's already grown, he should think for himself, but instead he believed his sister's words without finding out for himself without any sort of premade judgment.

He does feel bad for not taking her side now that he found out what's going on, but I felt that he should've made the effort to understand before.
    Willow is at fault as well for not telling him at first, but she is still mourning and feels more at ease with Jay since they're familiar with each other. For Willow, Christopher was just her best friend's little brother; And with that development, it seems that he's trying to stay that way since he's still following Christina around like a duckling smh

It's still early on and he may be able to redeem himself later, but these are my current thoughts on him. :)

@cecerose0208's Quincy Epstein
    Wow, this was really hard. I'm fond of all the characters in this rotational story--But I'll have to say Quincy is my least liked character.

It's kinda weird to say since I think he fits the Dad role pretty nicely, and since he's practically cut-out for it, I should like him.

But when I think about it, I'm not sure why I don't feel that way. I think it's because he's too nice?
    A loving older brother, a wonderful attentive boyfriend in the beginning which also continued on when Daniella and Quincy got married...
    I just wanna see him break I think LOL. He's gotta have secrets! :joy:
    Maybe he will since the triplets are, well, triplets. One day Daniella will find him smiling on his way to the backyard, opening the trashcan and screaming into it straight for 30 minutes. ...Then coming back inside like it never happened with the same face he left with.
    Quincy does have some sort of maturity level that fits that role, so that's not very likely.

A girl can dream :sob:

I wish I could say, "it's because he took too long to propose," but Quincy is a romantic. I think of romantics as the kind of people that want to make it big and borderline fairytale like, so when he finally proposed, it was just as I thought and nothing less.

To no one's surprise, Royce Harvey/Kearney in my story
    I didn't even wanna write "my" because it's like his name is touching me
    I don't even have to think about it... I hate everything about him... :joy:

Appearance wise, I hate his eyes
    Oh mannn I hate his eyes
    His resting face makes him look so smug, it's like he tempts me to slap him across the face every time I load the game and see him all
    ":smirk:"
    It's cute when he's a kid and even better when he's a toddler (because it makes him look a little sleepy hehehe so cute), but when he's older than that, the first thought in my head is "please flush yourself down a toilet, you poo"

Personality wise, I hate his whole "thing."
    Royce, as himself, is a person who doesn't want to accept things as they are. He's the kind of person that sees a crack in the dam and chooses to cover it with some old tape he finds on the side of the road instead of telling anyone. He would keep "repairing" the dam that way until it'll let itself go and things are being flooded. But when things are already flooded, he's nowhere to be seen when people want answers.
    He doesn't want to make himself noticeable, nor does he want to draw much attention. He's a coward.
    He's partially this way due to his father Daniel being the sort of person he never understood. Daniel was a good father in the sense where he would openly provide for Royce and support his endeavors and just be there for him, but he was a bad one where Royce actually didn't know him at all.
    The closest he has to a father figure was Kelan, and Kelan was similar: He was also supportive, but he doesn't often interact with him as much aside from scolding. Ugh
    His only escape is painting and writing his thoughts on pieces of paper for an abstract reason that could even be considered "deep" when he's just a full on coward and doesn't want to explain things while trying to be as significant as a plastic bag in the wind -eyeroll-

I also hate that I wrote him in where we're similar in some aspects, like escaping via hobbies, so it's even worse for me because I see myself in this kid and I really don't want to but it is sorta my fault because I mean, I wrote the dude

@CitizenErased14's [teenage] Zayne Rosebrook
    Specifically that age of Zayne since his younger child self was acceptable, and his later adult self is the best.
    He was a total brat during this stage of his life because he didn't know how good he got it, or how much his family cared.

When he was a child, as I've said before, this behavior was acceptable: He lost his parents, it was hard to adjust, he was young and didn't understand--But then as a teenager, his bratty kid syndrome escalated and he had to take a drive down grow-the-heck-up-avenue and his separation with Hope for him to understand how to man up and get his stuff together. Sure, there's also Jocelyn that also had a bout with her family and acted like a brat as well, having the only option of her brother dying for her to come back, but she had some internal baggage that grew and exploded at that one point. I like to think of that point of her finally "cooling down" and accepting things--I understood it. But teenage Zayne...? C'mon man. He was so much of a brat, I cringed at his terrible decisions. I had to take breaks in between sometimes because I was just, Zayne pls don't do anymore than this and the dude would make more bad decisions :sob:

Now as an adult, I do love him. He's definitely redeemed himself from his embarrassing, cringy track record as a silly kid masquerading as a college student, and his early YA years of being whiny around Hope.

His and Hope's doting on Harper is great, it makes me giggle whenever I read Harper saying how much she wants them to give her some space and allow herself to fail. He's still himself where he's still trying to be more aware of others, but he's going about it the wrong way. Now Harper's getting more friendly with the mischievous kids she admired from afar in her childhood years, and something shady's about to go down.
    I can't wait to see how Zayne takes it. :sunglasses:

@LillyDoves' Isobel Bay
    This is kind of an odd reason, but I do find her a little hard to love.
    She's become completely destructive once she became a teenager and lost Toby as a father figure. Now she's teen-preggo and got kicked out of the house.
    I'm still kind of confused on how she treats the boys in her life. I mean, yes, Hayden is just a creepy kid who's completely enamored with her, and Seth is still a mysterious figure to me, but she isn't treating herself as she should be. Is her mom right in kicking her out of the house? No, because it'll only fuel her angst and increase her dependence on Seth and his weird, lying sister.
    She's surrounding herself with bad people, and her little sister fighting the vampire conspiracy is now struggling to keep herself from changing.

She seems a bit selfish, but the story's still in it's early stages. She still has time to redeem herself and her choices. But at this time... She's not for me. Ironically I love wacky characters and the shadier the better, but Isobel is a firecracker I wouldn't want to try.

@Sourocha's Bob (jr.) Pancakes
    He's a great guy and all, but my God can you get even more clingy?
    Gabrielle, yeah, doesn't really do much than to prioritize her nephew and does show she adores him, so I was indifferent for a while. The part that got me going was the point where Aline dies. The first thing he thinks is "Is she thinking about another man??" Isn't the answer pretty obvious she isn't? She was even going to the therapist and everything, and he does know that--But he still has this lingering idea that she's going to have an affair??

C'mon dude, cut her some slack. It's been bad and it's been super hard for her since she and Aline were close. Give her time and give her space.
    Their relationship obviously went down the drain in the second season, but at least they're working on it now :s I hope it works out for the kids.
    Nooo I took too long typing out my reasons and I didn't read @CitizenErased14's posts :sob:The amount of notifications I had after refreshing the page was kinda cool though, made the forums look so busy for a Wednesday
    I hope I didn't hurt your feelings, I know Zayne's one of your top beloved babies :sob:

@Arrowleaf Hehe, I knew Maeve would be disliked by you since you've said it before. <3 That's pretty true! She's kinda dense. Everyone in my story's pretty dense I think. But her not noticing how shifty Royce was for a few years does make any normal person wonder what the heck is going on LOL

But ooh, wow, I actually like Christina as a character. She seems kinda crazy, bossy and crass. I think her being this kind of straightforward character is awesome, even if it's negative :joy:

@AudreyFld YASSS GIRL PREACH -gives you a "Royce is a Poop" shirt- :joy:
    And oh my gosh you don't like Reese :joy::joy:It was the hobo hair days, wasn't it ;):joy: Kiddingg. I was laughing so hard when I read "he just seems like someone that thinks his s. hit don't stink" :joy:

@cecerose0208 I thought you were going to say "'cause he doesn't shower" as a point too :') Stinky Murphy hehehe
    I think it's pretty cool you pulled that up as a point right after I wrote a certain part in Chapter 16 yesterday... Are you reading my mind? :joy: He's smitten and would do anything for her despite that she's abusive--And he's definitely doing something terrible by not telling her the truth, which is all she wants.

And Heaven...
    Is it bad that I kinda dig Heaven being rather cruddy as a parent? She's horrible to both Bo and her children for pretty much chucking a baby their way and continuing to be on her own, but I feel like her character is finally having some sort of substance that's making her a "person"
    instead of a character still trying to find their way. Her development is starting to shape and I love it!
    Plus things do get a little boring without a little drama, of course, so the whole thing with Heaven being this way when there are super parents like Laurel around as a sort of opposing role to hers seems pretty great to me :smirk:
    @CitizenErased14 *more hugs* I don't wanna make anyone upset, I'm sorry!

Here's my reasoning for this question. We love talking about the characters we love and gushing on details about them. But people often avoid the ones they aren't huge fans of.

Our circle is so insightful and I really just thought it would be cool to get the amazing insight I value in our circle about the characters less mentioned by each reader.

And y'all did not disappoint. But I will happily stay away from questions like this going forward.

*One more hug for Amanda*

*Group hug...?*

*Group hug!*
  • LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    Hey guys, I'm still alive and planning on continuing with the Bays. I've just been trying to unpack everything in my new apartment and get stuff for my classes taken care of.
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic
    @Cement - I was so shocked you picked Reese! :o You and I actually picked the same characters from each other's stories...Audrey vibes? Idk...because some people don't like Kaitlin or they think Leroy is too controlling.

This has been a great analysis of why we dislike certain characters. They all have character flaws that rub us the wrong way. What bothers some, others overlook and accept. It's been very interesting. Of course the characters that were meant to be evil, those didn't even hit my radar maybe because we're supposed to dislike them - Esmeralda from @sourocha story or Eun from @CitizenErased14's story.

I will admit there were a few surprises - Jocelyn, Topher, Kenya, Quincy, and Murphy - but then when you read why, it makes sense and I tend to more or less agree with everyone's analysis.

It was also interesting to me that Cement chose Bob Jr. and @cecerose0208 chose the other half of the relationship with Gabrielle. That just shows how differently we view the character flaws in each.
    @AudreyFld I agree so much. I think about picking one half of Maeve/Murphy while someone else picked the other half. And picking half of Gabrielle/Bob Jr. while someone else picked Bob Jr. It's so fascinating how our own experiences color our view of stories. I think for me, it's the fact that I believe so strongly in strong women who are also compassionate.

This is just my own beliefs and life experience here, but I also think that women who are strong tend to need other strong and compassionate people around them. Not 🐸🐸🐸🐸 who will take advantage of their compassion or jerks who try to pick away at them to find a weakness.

I think I find Gabrielle to be... not strong enough. Yes, she went through a lot and is handling a lot. But Bob Jr. is the only person in her life she chose to have there. Everyone else was there by their own doing or by being family. So I guess... I see her as too weak to handle the part of life she chose for herself. She's doing okay with her family, with her nephew, with her job. She's hanging on, though understandably not well because of everything that happened with Aline. But when it comes to her chosen life partner she's like, "nah, I don't have enough to even treat you like a person who's questions deserve answers. I'm sure you're just fine after everything that's happened, to the back of the line while I care for everyone else!"

Maeve and Murphy's dynamic makes both of them hard to like. But I think I kinda like Maeve... I just have a place in my heart for hot mess women. Those messy bad decision makers who end up turning their lives into a tornado that will suck you in, slam you to the ground, then spit you out 100 feet of the ground with no parachute if you let them. And because I view her that way (as well as strong and compassionate), I struggle more with Murphy. Like, bruh, get your crap together. Where even is your moral boundary?? I haven't found it yet.

@Cement OMG Quincy is such an unexpected choice! I loved your reasoning though. Do you find him boring? That would be really something. Of most of my characters, he's one of the least sassy ones. He loves the women in his life and is really open to feminine energy. Both his grandmas are still alive, his mom, his four sisters, his fiancee, and two of his triplets give him lots of feminine energy. That being said, he's not perfect, and we'll see that as his kids grow up.

@LillyDoves Unpacking can be tiresome or can be fun, hopefully yours is the second one.
    @LillyDoves Ooh, sounds busy! I hope you get everything settled. :)

@AudreyFld Haha, I was pretty surprised Royce came up as someone's disliked character aside from me! Audrey vibes? Maybe--I wonder if a third Audrey would agree. Then it'd turn into an Audrey Conspiracy of some sort. :joy:
    It does make sense he'd be unfavorable since he did cheat on his wife. Maybe it's often overlooked because Maeve physically abuses Murphy, and that possibly holds more water. Hmm. Really makes a person think!
    I see why people wouldn't like Kate for being so stubborn sometimes and just being all over the place. But I think her character is well placed since her past explains who she is quite well. Leroy being controlling? Whaat, I think Leroy is a sweetheart. Sometimes he panics or gets upset, but he works hard trying to show Kate he's there for her too.
    That statement makes me wanna re-read and figure out why people find him controlling! :joy:

@cecerose0208 Haha, I was indifferent to Gabrielle and Bob's relationship until that one part with Aline--It just seemed like unnecessary stress for him to think those thoughts, and I felt like Bob should've manned up and made a time to tell her how he feels instead of "waiting" for an opportunity that won't exactly happen with a person like Gabrielle.
    I mean he had mentioned a little bit about how he felt, but he always let Gabrielle have her way and letting her dismiss him before he got to the bottom of it :sob:
    I totally agree where you mention Gabrielle is not strong enough! She definitely shows this by being very emotional with Nicholas, trying to dote on him in the beginning when Nicholas saw Lucia. Over time, it's obvious she didn't need to as he wasn't too affected. Nicholas was also pretty mature for his age, telling her he's okay, he's fine with how things are, and he understands how things would be onwards.
    Gabrielle seems to be the kind of person who's influenced greatly by what she sees and is extremely empathic. With a person like her, Bob should be strong since she isn't, and it bothers me a bit that aside from his petty jealousy, he's an awesome guy.

I do feel that maybe, juuust maybe I'm a teensy bit biased since I really don't like clingy dudes--reminds me of one of my exes, trainwreck of a relationship that was lmao, still trying to pry him off my shoe, btw--and I think he should've stepped up a long time ago. I'm sure if he voiced his feelings beforehand to Nicholas, Nicholas would help him out too by creating opportunities. There doesn't seem to be any bad blood between those two anyway :o
    It seems that in Season 2, he finally exposed his feelings but at a terrible time and well, now you have them fighting. :(

Haha, Murphy's moral boundaries... I wonder that too :joy:

As for Quincy, I don't think of him as boring but more suspicious in a way. I don't know if it's because I watch too much TV and find extremely nice people who are wonderful in too many aspects particularly shady, but I think he has something to hide :joy:
    I'm glad that his time with his triplets will show who he truly is over time! Looking forward to that :joy:
    edited August 2017
    I guess I'd like to take a stab at answering this question... but the problem is that things have been way too busy for me lately with friends visiting to sit down and actually come up with a good answer! So this might be a question where I awkwardly chime in like a week late :tongue:
    snvAF3B.png
  • LillyDovesLillyDoves Posts: 698 Member
    Heyyy! Gen 2's heir has been born! :smiley:
    TNXKDh4.png
    Of Myth and Magic