Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

IDK, Barbara? (We are bad at naming things) -- A United Reading Heptagon

Comments

• Options
    AudreyFldAudreyFld Posts: 6,695 Member
    @arrowleaf - I like the idea of polls for some stories the way you describe. I'm not sure I like them for heir votes necessarily. But it certainly does make the story a little more reader dictated.

I also like casting calls. @CitizenErased14 has done some and @cecerose0208 just did one. I think it get readers invested. It's so much fun to see your sim a story and watch what happens to him or her. Others have as well. But these don't change the direction of the story.

@Sourocha - I love how strong minded you are. It's my story and I'm writing it! So there!! Sadly, we won't see #reiddieinahole! But that is great and I laughed so hard. Obviously you weren't the only one that wanted him to die in a hole or in a fire they didn't care, just wanted him gone.
  • Options
    cecerose0208cecerose0208 Posts: 1,521 Member
    I think we can all agree Reid is the worst. He has been a bit redeemed in my eyes because you really can blame most of his horribleness on his mother. Plus, that conversation he had with Leroy really softened him a bit in my eyes.

Now about this question: When reader's have strong opinions about your story or characters and feel like they should have done one thing versus another, how do you feel about that? Is this what influences you to maybe change the direction of the story and do you feel these are good influences or are you just changing the direction to please the vocal readers?

I don't know that my readers really have strong opinions about my story honestly... I mean there are a few folks who really dislike Heaven and think she shouldn't have left her family, but I haven't had anyone have a reaction to a character or a plot that I saw as particularly strong.

Using Heaven as an example because she's the only character I can think of that elicited a strong-ish reaction, the reactions didn't alter my path for her character. I think that because so much of my game is Sim-driven, it would be hard to switch it up based on a reader comment anyway.

I have my ideas of where I want things to go, but mostly it's a pleasant surprise when the behavior of my Sims coincides with the story I want to tell. There are times, like just in the last couple of days, where it broke my heart to let the behavior of my Sims drive the story forward. But it feels right to stay true to the Sim-driven nature of my story rather than to mess with it for the story in my mind.

Regarding vocal readers, if anything, it makes me feel happy that they are into the story that much to have a strong response.
  • Options
    @cecerose0208 - I might or might not have been one of the vocal ones about Heaven! :wink: I agree its a pleasant surprise when someone is into a story enough to have that kind of response. ;)
  • Options
    AudreyFld wrote: »
    @cecerose0208 - I might or might not have been one of the vocal ones about Heaven! :wink: I agree its a pleasant surprise when someone is into a story enough to have that kind of response. ;)

Stay vocal! I usually agree with the criticism. Heaven did something I would never be able to do.
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Oh @CitizenErased14, I kinda understand what you mean when you said, "oh no, is this too predictable?"
    I used to be sort of dictated by that question for a very long time since it's no secret I'm definitely in love with the thriller/murder genre. I loved it the most when I didn't expect the ending. Back way back when, I'd often write twists that were way too out there, way too far for anyone to predict and it wasn't an "aha" moment for anyone but a "what even is this" reaction.
    No lead up, no hints or nuances within the story to even suggest the final thought--I'd do that all the time. But I've learned my lesson out of feedback from this writer when I was an intern in his program: Not everyone thinks the same way you would, so to assume they would think of a situation to even be an option without any form of suggestion or enough hints to verify that as a viable option is too much to expect.
    Then he gave me a pat on the back and told me to finish editing photos lmaooo.
    Now after that incident, I think I have a freaky writing style that makes me want to shoot myself in the leg often hahahaha :joy:

In short, I think that it's good when it's sort of predictable because then that means you were able to lead your reader to the kind of idea you meant to reveal in the first place. To help sort out my thoughts on that matter, I would kind of base my assumptions on generic movie/book character stereotypes initially, then as the story progresses, put myself in their shoes. It's always a pleasant surprise when a character would react the same way I do, or would do something a little outside of that stereotype.

So don't be afraid of being predictable! Being too unpredictable is also fairly bad as well.

Like @AudreyFld said, as a reader, we like dissecting things apart, and definitely what @Sourocha said, "we are our worst critics." Stay confident <3

Speaking of things that invoked strong emotions... I think the only thing that made me scream out of anger was that Star Wars fan theory
    about Jar Jar Binks actually being a sith lord (the most powerful one in the galaxy at that) and not that crusty Count Dooku
    Just thinking about it makes me SO UPSET because I would've loved that garbage character to redeem himself
    but everyone hated him already so everyone assumes it was true but Lucas scrapped it and I'm
    I'm still crying inside
    Or maybe it was because I was like a fetus going through puberty when I heard and like, you know... Hormones or whatever. :joy: Then again, I used to have a Jar Jar Binks figure I'd give a nasty side eye to since I heard... Am I still truly salty after all these years?

As for @Sourocha's awesome deductions regarding my story, I wouldn't shoot you if I felt that way, you sillypants

...I think I'd just board up my windows, close my blinds, and migrate to my closet with my craptop to continue writing bits in hopes you wouldn't see what I have in store. Then I'd probably wear a tin foil hat and think you're working with aliens or something after a while, I dunno
    Maybe something about the robot uprising too.
    :joy::joy::joy:
  • Options
    I also agree about casting calls being fun!

I'm still throwing the old ball around with how many sacrifices sims I need for my alien story. So far I have about... 3? With main roles I'd want the community to make, then there are a few side roles I'm debating if they're going to be important or not. I like having a surplus amount of sims to use, so I don't really want to stop at 3.
    Sometimes there are sims with really good backstories you'd get from casting calls and they'd mesh well with the rest of the cast; Or even better, conflicting ones that would probably give me something to think about in how they affect the story.
    I don't really mind rewriting since if there's a different path I like better I would go down that route. I think I'm definitely thinking differently with that story over White Lies since it's still "in production," even though it also has a set ending. I don't want to feel any missed opportunities :sob:
  • Options
    SourochaSourocha Posts: 1,465 Member
    @Cement They never suspect the microwave. >:)
  • Options
    Hey guys, I just wanted to check in. I'm about to be back from hiatus on my neighborhood rotation starting tomorrow morning!

I have a question for everyone. How close are you to being caught up on everyone's stories?

I'm caught up on Audrey's, Arrow's, and Lilly's story.

I've finished chapter 13 on Cement's story, chapter 6.4 on Amanda's story, and all of season one on Ocha's story. I wish I were caught up on everyone's story, but I'm working on it, I promise.
  • Options
    Heya, cece :) nice to see your rotation is coming back!

I'm currently caught up with everyone I think. Right now I'm rereading Sourocha's first season as a refresher when we get to discussing her story :)
  • Options
    I'm caught up with everyone's story. :) I am not an overachiever! I was already reading Amanda's and Cement's stories long before we started this group so it did make it easier to get up to date on everyone's stories and keep on top of them.
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Still working on catching up on a few of the stories. I'm awful. But I'm close with most of them, and am working my way slowly but surely, I promise :heart:

Heading to the airport in a couple of hours! It's totally off topic, but I could not resist sharing my favorite moment from my best friend's wedding with you guys... the entire bridal party jumping into the pool after the reception :joy::heart:
    dowuy3Y.jpg
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    Haha, looks like you had a fun time at the wedding! :D
    Speaking of pools, I was supposed to go swimming this weekend, but my God I am way too lazy these days since I have time off... :joy:
  • Options
    Heya! Awnsering to the question, I belive I am caught up with everyone on the circle! Unless somene posted some new chapter recently...And Oh, @CitizenErased14 ! It seems like this was a fun wedding! :)
  • Options
    Still working on catching up on a few of the stories. I'm awful. But I'm close with most of them, and am working my way slowly but surely, I promise :heart:

Heading to the airport in a couple of hours! It's totally off topic, but I could not resist sharing my favorite moment from my best friend's wedding with you guys... the entire bridal party jumping into the pool after the reception :joy::heart:
    dowuy3Y.jpg

That is so awesome! :joy: Looked like so much fun! So glad you enjoyed it!
  • Options
    Oh, and everyone...I'm going to take a bit of a time off the forums, starting tomorrow, that will last three weeks :( . I know it is sudden, but hey here I am! It will be just like the other times, don't expectante to be here, but also don't be surprised If I post something. So...Bye, for now! :)
    xoxoxoxo
  • Options
    Sourocha wrote: »
    Oh, and everyone...I'm going to take a bit of a time off the forums, starting tomorrow, that will last three weeks :( . I know it is sudden, but hey here I am! It will be just like the other times, don't expectante to be here, but also don't be surprised If I post something. So...Bye, for now! :)
    xoxoxoxo
    I hope everything is well...enjoy your time off.
  • Options
    Sourocha wrote: »
    xoxoxoxo

Also hoping everything is well and sending good vibes your way. When you get back we'll finally discuss your story!! xoxox
  • Options
    ArrowleafArrowleaf Posts: 3,871 Member
    @CitizenErased14 I hope you had a great time! It looks like a lot of fun!

As for where I am with everyone else. I am about 3/4 done with @Sourocha and @LillyDoves . I am caught up with @AudreyFld and @CitizenErased14 and I need to read the last two chapters of @Cement and @cecerose0208

Do we want to skip @Sourocha in the rotation and then come back to her when she is back from her break or do we want to keep asking weekly questions for everyone? :smile:
    4s8gctV.png
    The Landon Legacy Wordpress // Forums|
    Chasing Rainbows: Wordpress // Forums
  • Options
    I think we should keep asking questions to everyone, that's been a lot of fun. I don't want to skip Ocha to do Amanda though because then she's left out of being able to participate in that discussion.

Another question for everyone: What's your favorite way to "build" a set for screenshots for your story? Do you use existing builds in your world? Are you constantly house shopping on the gallery? Do you build yourself? Do you beg your friends to make it happen, lol?
  • Options
    What's your favorite way to "build" a set for screenshots for your story? Do you use existing builds in your world? Are you constantly house shopping on the gallery? Do you build yourself? Do you beg your friends to make it happen, lol?

Right now if any of you were TS3 builders I would be begging! I like building but...it takes sooo long. I am working on Leroy and Kaitlin's house now. And I need a jail!

So far, for this story I needed a hospital, car lot, courthouse, the therapists office, two apartments, junk yard, resort, fire station, principals office, hair salon, two bars (Reid's and Leroy's), Leroy's house and Reid's house. I may have missed something. I can't believe how much I needed!

I try to search online for the major builds. I found the hospital, resort and car lot online and changed them very little.

Leroy and Reid's homes were existing but I had to change Reid's. Leroy's wasn't changed too much.

The bars were existing ea bars but I added to them. They needed woohoo places! Reid's was way more luxurious than Leroy's.

The fire station, salon and junkyard were also existing ea properties that I altered slightly.

The apartment they are in now was an existing late night apartment where I gutted the apartment and rebuilt it. The first little one bedroom duplex, I built.

I also built the therapist office, the principals office and the courtroom.

Whew! So the short answer is all of the above except begging. You guys are TS4 junkies.

• Options
    What's your favorite way to "build" a set for screenshots for your story? Do you use existing builds in your world? Are you constantly house shopping on the gallery? Do you build yourself? Do you beg your friends to make it happen, lol?
    hehehehehehe
    3wUR5IE.png
    this is the way I build sets heheheheheh

I never really build anything fully because I'm honestly really lazy, and most of the time... Every other scene is all done in the same lot... :joy: I'll plan out what I need in my head and only make that bit, then work around with what I have because I get a little picky sometimes. Like I'd think of something really silly when it comes to screenshots, like "so-and-so has to be on the right side because if they're gonna be posed this way then I could get the perfect angle of them with this-and-that in the background" :joy:

If I use something from the gallery, it's because I would need the whole thing and I don't want to build it. But usually I'd use the gallery to get something to fill the backdrop when they're outside.

If I think I'll need a venue or a house for more than that one time, I'll build it fully. Begrudgingly. Or if I'm in a building mood. (Which is rare these days, because I would kinda stop at shells since I am garbage at planning out a floor plan... Sometimes it's the opposite and I can't be bothered with the outside. :sob:)

I mostly build weird little houses with too many flowers if I would try and label my "building style." Occasionally I'd build full on venues that I'd use in my story. Hae-ju's bar is a full bar, the workplace Lyle works at is a full venue I made for Zerbu's Work mod that I used a billion years ago for fun (so it also has "sister" buildings to home other jobs)
    Most of the houses are actual houses, but venues usually aren't, hehehehe
    Niels', Joseph's, Missy's, and Lyle's houses are all full houses.
    Missy's house is actually a poorly edited version of a house I made a long time ago called "Natalia" on the gallery actually. I totally gave up on the floor plan for that house pls no judge

The "run-down" apartment building only has 3 semi-"apartments," those being Royce's, Daniel's, and Lyle's, and 2 hallways I use regularly. The rest are just empty space... :joy:
    The only lots I didn't build include the exterior of the school and the grocery stores. There are two "retail" lots also, but I only downloaded one for a backdrop and built the other.

As a short answer for the rest as a TLDR:
    Do you use existing builds in your world? Yes
    Are you constantly house shopping on the gallery? No
    Do you build yourself? Yes
    Do you beg your friends to make it happen, lol? No

Oh @AudreyFld, I applaud you for building in TS3. I can't build at all in TS3!
  • Options
    I always get anxious when our circle gets so quiet!

@cement - I am loving the scheduled updates! I wish I could be so disciplined. I just post chapters when I have them done! :D

@cecerose0208 - Awww Heaven - maybe? And you need to answer your own question about builds! I think it might be easier in TS4 there is so much on the gallery. And I don't want to skip @sourocha either but I am so ready to do both her's and Amanda's stories.

I have written all the way to 'THE END!' of my story. It's kinda scary for me. What am I going to do without Kate and Leroy? I think it is total of about 12 more updates (4 chapters with 3 parts) then a prologue about 7 years later. I have to get screen shots though so it may only be two per week. :'( I cried at the end. I don't think my readers will, but sniff...

With it coming to a close, I thought I would share a pen pal letter from Newt to his friend Norman - only if you are curious. He went through quite a catharsis during the time Kate has been gone and if you want to read the whole series, it's only about 20 chapters including his pen pal's correspondence. If you want to find out more about him and his new girlfriend, read just the one. Not really any spoilers in it. :blush:

So - do I make the leap to TS4 and stick my toe in there? I am so thinking Ben would be such a good one to carry on the 'legacy' simply based on reader feedback and I do think he is the most interesting of the kids.

But I need a crutch...or some inspiration such as another challenge to get me started. I can't just think up a story in my head. It would be so boring. I absolutely loved this one with the rolls that forced you to make your characters do things that you would probably never think of or make them do. It really helped shape their personalities.
  • Options
    @AudreyFld Did you know there are teams of builders on the forums? A lot of them focus on TS3. My favorite is the DNA build team. You put in a request and the teams of active builders choose among current requests for their next build. If your request appeals to them, it gets picked up right away, but it usually doesn't take more than a few weeks, from what I've noticed.

@Cement Your use of sets for screenshots in your story is really thought out. I can't imagine some of those highly detailed rooms are parts of buildings with no exterior, lol.

I should probably answer my own question, lol.

My favorite is to edit existing lots. For example, there's a lot in Windenburg where Luca and Liz Holloway live. I edited it, but unfortunately uploaded it to the gallery at night time, lol. But it works a lot better for their lifestyle, and I'm excited to work this updated version of their home into the story. You can try to see it here.

If I'm not editing the lots, I'll use existing builds as is, only editing them over time for my Sims' needs. I may redecorate or move a wall, but usually only as it fits the story. I pretty much only look at houses and lots on the gallery when I need something quick I have no idea how to build, like when I found the building I used for Gavin & Akira's surrogate interviews. I found an empty office shell on the gallery and setup the first two floors.

Very occasionally, I'll build my own lots. The community center I built to be the home base for the Counsel Council is my favorite build by far. it just has everything, and it's architecture actually matches the surrounding buildings, which is something I'm usually always messing up, lol.

And I have used the DNA building team once. One of the team members built the house that Laurel "designed and built" for Quincy and Daniella.
  • Options
    @cecerose0208 - Oh I might take them up on the prison... I will check how soon I will need it and if I have time that migh be awesome. Thanks.
  • Options
    Ooh, I forgot to say--
    Hope you have a good time off, @Sourocha!

I don't mind asking questions here until Sourocha comes back. I think they're pretty fun since we get to know how each of us work hehe

@AudreyFld I read the latest letter!
    I thought it was great he and Janet are working together (and that she is also pushing for them to get divorced)--Now if only Kate would be able to see that they both want the same thing. :)
    And woah, I wish I finished writing up to that point. Or at least to my halfway point. (Which is pretty close!) I only have a vague outline till my halfway point, then I gotta actually organize the "teenage" era haha... Danna gets into too many problems in the later half of White Lies... :joy:

Scheduled updates are so fun!
    I wrote the whole chapter first so I could split it into parts, but after I did that I started editing each part individually so they ended up getting longer than I thought... :joy: If I went back to my "one chapter every month/2 months" thing, I think I'll get to the end faster at least. But doing it part by part twice a week is pretty great... I love finding spots to split :)

For your question on crutches, I wonder what kind of challenge would be suitable for you to utilize with Ben? There are a few I like that I haven't read much of, but the ones I like are ones I don't exactly see Ben doing since I don't really see him as an "I'm raising an alien" kind of guy :joy: If only there was something similar for TS4.

@cecerose0208 Haha, isn't it funny? :joy: So many of the scenes were on the same lot, especially around like Chapters 6-10... :joy: I heard of the DNA building teams before! I saw some of their messages on the activity feed when I was being nosy. :) Their builds are really great, they're full of super creative people :o

I was going to type a question, but I forgot what it was after I got out of the shower. ...I guess you can say my question was washed away hehehe