Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Bambooram's Creations - Affordable housing

BambooramBambooram Posts: 222 Member
edited April 2017 in The Sims 4 Lots
Hello!
I'm pretty new to building, but I got the idea to create a thread to showcase the lots i build.

My origin ID is Bambooram.
Link to my gallery.

Feel free to comment and/or give suggestions.
OBS! My work is CC free.. HOWEVER if it says my work contains CC it may be due to ingame stuff like photos or paintings, since i've heard it counts as CC in the gallery's eyes.

Small Family Cottage - §52,739
sue16vY.png

Cozy Dwelling - §30,562
4PO724v.png

Small Starter Home - §8,285
jm0YPgY.png
HV83B28.png
Post edited by Bambooram on

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello :)
    It is great that you have started a showcase thread for your builds! :)
    The three homes are very nice! Very nice exterior designs of the homes!
    The exterior wall texture of Small Family Cottage gives a very nice look to the home. Very nice roofing! The greenery looks very nice on the front wall either sides of the door.
    The front porch and steps of each of the homes are nice entryways to the homes. The flower box window in Cozy Dwelling looks pretty! The open shutter window in Small Starter home is a nice homely touch.
    Sims will enjoy living in these very nice homes :)
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So.... this one is not really "affordable".. I guess it depends on how much money you have. Rofl.

Apocalypse Now!-Home - §112.986
    AzO3kaW.png

Yes, from the outside it looks like a regular family house... But inside you will find that the family added a basement for when the apocalypse strikes!

ROEJFK8.png
    CkFLhJf.png

There's a garden to grow stuff, there's a a tent, a few rooms and even a "prison cell" or "time-out room" for the unfortunate.
    So if you feel like having a little challenge and see how long you can survive underground, feel free to download. :D
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    The exterior design of Apocolypse Now! Home looks very nice! :) Nice exterior wall texture and the open shutter windows are a nice touch in the build. The curved front porch looks great! The underground basement levels look very nice ! Very nice layout and furnishing of the living areas levels! Nice fireplace sofa seat sitting area for sims to enjoy sitting near the fire listening to music from the juke box. The dinosaur and koala are cute in the kids bedroom area! The butterflies look pretty on the wall! The underground garden level is great! It looks nice how the trees are set up there in the gardening boxes. Sims will enjoy harvesting the fruit. It is great that there is a tent for sims to sleep in.
    The build is creatively designed! :)
  • Options
    NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    Hi, and congrats on getting your showcase set up!

I actually came to have a look because I thought "My Sim might need an affordable house". Haha! I love love that cottage you built. It is actually quite similar in style to a pub I just finished today, so I guess I'm partial to cottages :p The two gabled roofs really gives it charm!

The Cozy Dwelling and Starter home are also cute. I like the simplicity. Good design is not necessarily about making something complicated. I'll check out your gallery, because my Sim might just need a good starter home :)

The Apocalypse now house is really original, and I love the idea of it having a 'bunker' basement. It's totally "Doomsday Preppers"! Haha. Love it!

As for suggestions, you know, I would LOVE to see more photos of your builds, to get a better sense of it, and also of the interior. You can't see that very well in the gallery, so a showcase here on the forum is a perfect way to really show off your house :)

Also, don't be shy to ask for help if you get stuck or need tips on a particular issue. The forum people around here are super nice and very helpful.

Happy building, and good luck!
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • Options
    CorwimCorwim Posts: 3,218 Member
    Good on you for starting a showcase! I love browsing through these as the screenshots give such a better idea of all the wonderful builds on the Gallery. I love all the builds you have posted so far, though I do think my favourite so far is Small Family Cottage. This one is so cute and you really nailed the style of these houses, great job! Apocalypse Now! house looks wondeful as well, and I love you've added a full basement underneath the house for when the apocalypse should happen, very creative!
  • Options
    @rosemow - thank you so much :D ! That's very sweet of you.

@corwim Thank you for your input. I'm glad you like my cottage. I loved that build myself and i enjoyed building it.

@Laebeth Thank you! Yeah I will try to post more pictures. I think I'm getting a better hang of it now. :D
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    So I built two new houses. These are not really affordable either... unless you've got the money.
    ----

Aphrodite's Hideout - §128.547
    This is an "ancient greece" temple inspired house. There's room for a small family and I think it came out looking very pretty. It would fit in well in Oasis Springs.
    60W5CaP.jpg
    uQsVXHv.jpg
    XZntkJp.jpg
    3IM5LNw.jpg
    ZqxYefh.jpg
    U8i3y2q.jpg
    TCEWZEp.jpg
    jcWAbH2.jpg
    ComfWMh.jpg

Hawthorne House - §89,300
    Since I went to London and stayed with a friend I've been meaning to build this house, inspired by how my friend's place looked. She had her kitchen in a "basement" and I wanted to try the same. I didn't know that Sims wasn't gonna allow me to remove the floor/grass so the kitchen would look more bright and open... so I tried my best to find an alternative way to build this house.
    The book case behind the couch is only for decoration, BUT! don't be afraid... If your sim tries to take a book from that bookcase they'll automatically take a book from the smaller bookshelf on the wall and everything will be fine...

P7IqcWS.jpg
    eCoj8kH.jpg
    nTfxxIV.jpg
    CgoNtK5.jpg
    ydGNX1l.jpg
    CMv0IeY.jpg
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    edited April 2017
    Basement kitchens absolutely used to be a thing with bigger houses where there were more servants than served, but I've hesitated at actually making one since Sims don't really live that way. But you've got your dining area down with the kitchen, so that's okay: what I mean is when the kitchen is downstairs but the dining room is upstairs.

There are ways and means of removing the floor/grass, though. I assume what you mean is that you wanted part of the kitchen to be a double-height space communicating with the floor above? I see in the gallery that there's some sort of skylight next to the stairs going down, which I guess is where that double-height space is supposed to happen.

In such a case, this is what I would do:
    1) Define the floor-less space on the ground floor with a fence, cutting it off from the rest of the room. Remove the floor. You should see the green lawn in its place, but that's okay. You're not done yet.
    2) In the basement, use fencing to draw another "room" inside the main room, exactly corresponding to the floor-less space above.
    3) Remove the ceiling from the fenced-off basement area. Now you can remove the fence from that area as well: it will not merge with the rest of the room because the rest of the room has a ceiling and this space doesn't.
    4) Install the stairs. Do NOT remove the fence from the ground floor space, or it will merge with the rest of the room and gain back the floor you removed. Simply stick the top of the stairs onto the fence: the fence will seem to disappear, but the game will remember that it's still supposed to be there defining the space. (I find this trick with the fence and the top of the stairs immensely useful, and I wish it worked with the bottom of the stairs as well.)

And there you go.

(Incidentally, did you know you can demolish the automatic wall under a stair? And that this saves you a whole lot of simoleons? And that once you've done so, you can stack stairs one on top of the other? Every so often, I come across a post expressing surprise that this can be done, so I guess it's one of Sims 4's better-kept secrets.)

Oh, a question: I notice that pretty much all your exterior stairs (I can't quite tell with Hawthorne House) you've left the stair landing as a separate entity from the deck? Is this a conscious design decision? Because I pretty much always push my exterior stairs in to land right on the deck, eliminating the stair-specific landing. Stairs are cheaper that way: the landing costs 4 times a single step, so the very cheapest base game stair ($5 a step) at one square wide will have a $20 landing, while the Pragmatic Stairway (for example) has a $352-per-square landing. In both cases, that same landing could cost you as little as $4 depending on your choice of floor finish if you build it with a deck instead.
  • Options
    @Xinqun Wow, thank you for the tip! I had no idea that you could remove the ceiling... Maybe I should've googled before I decided to go on an alternative adventure :D I uploaded an updated version of the house without the ceiling - thank you so much!

The exterior stairs.... I have no idea why i did it like i did... but it's good to know that it's cheaper to do it the other way :D And I redid that as well - it also looks prettier.
    So to answer your question - no it's not a conscious design decision.
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    XinqunXinqun Posts: 612 Member
    Glad to be of help. Sometimes it's not easy explaining to Google what it is exactly that you're looking for.
  • Options
    @xinqun exactly... so it's nice when there's other people who knows exactly what you want. Rofl. I love building tips, it's great.
    HV83B28.png
  • Options
    Okay... i think this will be the last one for today. :D

Nice View - §67.840
    This is a nice house for the artsy person. There's not much room in this house, but it would be fitting for a single person, a couple or roomies who don't mind sharing.

WFfY7eR.jpg
    m9iBwE3.jpg
    GujuXv4.jpg
    bXZd3bZ.jpg
    XCjksdO.jpg
    n3nUBqJ.jpg
    Ll3Ixdp.jpg
    e4kXHo8.jpg

HV83B28.png
  • Options
    Each of the three homes looks very nice! :) Very nice exterior design of each of them! The colour scheme of the interior walls looks very nice. The Ancient Greek temple inspired theme of Aphrodite's Hideout looks so very great! You have captured the theme so very well! The columns look very nice how they are used in the build. The ruins look great! Very nice furnishing of the interior of the home! The green colour of the kitchen, dining and living room walls looks calming. Very nice kitchen nook! Sims will enjoy looking outdoors through the archway whilst waiting for meals to finish cooking. The yellow flowers wall picture is a sunny touch on the wall. Very nice study and reading nook! Sims will enjoy sitting on the stools reading a book or sitting at the desk table using the computer. Very nice layout of the living room! The sofa seat tv nook looks great! Sims will enjoy resting on the sofa watching tv , reading a book or have fun playing console games. They will enjoy playing chess also in the room. The fireplace will keep the room warm. The candies and birds wall decor are nice touches in the room. Very nice furnishing of the bedrooms! The flowers in the double bedrooms are very nice for sims to see when waking in the mornings. The clocks are nice homely touches in the bedrooms. It is great that there are study desk nooks in the bedrooms. The butterflies on the wall in the kids room look so pretty! The teddy is cute there!
    The exterior design of Hawthorne House looks very nice! :) It is nice that you based it on the real life home of your friend. The flowers in the front patio area look very pretty. Very nice furnishing of the interior! The coat wall shelf is a homely touch. The pig looks cute! Very nice design of the basement kitchen.
    The layout of Nice View looks very nice! :) Very nice outdoors patio areas! Very nice sitting area for sims to enjoy listening or dancing to music from the jukebox in the outdoors air. The sunflowers there look sunny! Very nice art nook patio area! Sims will enjoy painting on the easel in the sunshine, or enjoy sittimg on the patterned stools using the bubble machine. Very nice interior furnishing of the build! The art theme of the build loook great!
    The homes are very nice! :)
  • Options
    NinnsterNinnster Posts: 1,215 Member
    edited April 2017
    I see you have some new builds up! :smile:

I love the greek inspired build, it looks amazing! I love how it's pretty much completely open with archways straight outside. It gives it a really open feeling, and is something quite unique! I also love the kitchen! Must be so good for the Sims to be standing in the kitchen and cooking in the fresh breeze :wink:

I love that the Hawthorne house is made based on a house of a friend. That makes it really special! I also like the idea of a kitchen in the basement, I had no idea that was common in the UK!

The arts house is really cute, and I love all the big windows letting lots of light in! No need for decorations when you have a nice view to be looking at :wink:

Three very different builds, and all great in their own way! You seem to be having a lot of fun building and trying new things! That's great :smiley:
    OriginID: Ninnster

My Sims 4 Twitter
    My Sims 4 Showcase
    My Sims 4 Gallery

#EAGameChanger

"Creativity is intelligence having fun"
  • Options
    CountryCutie516CountryCutie516 Posts: 49 Member
    Your homes are all very adorable.
  • Options
    lolaluelolalue Posts: 23 Member
    Your builds are too cute and themed and still very posh!! Very impressive!