Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How do you decide how many kids to have? *plus pics of my cute sim family*

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited March 2017
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    I've never thought about this because I usually move on to a new family and game once my originals die. And I havent been playing long enough to get passed 3 generations. So how do you keep the town from being over-populated with your family genetics if they have 5+ kids? Is there a way built into the game, or with mods, to move the kids to another town and keep playing the current family? I don't want to do a total annihilation because you can still "call long distance" or send letters to each other in other towns.
    I suppose you would like to be able to have those moved out kids visit from time to time, vacation your sims over in their world, and be able to transition gameplay to their (new) homeworld when you want. Sorry, that would be cheating.

But wait, what's this then? http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ :)
    (See the Switching Homeworlds section near the end)

With the NRaas Traveler mod, you can spread your sims and their offspring out among their various homeworlds, all connected within the same ongoing game. Only the actively being played world can progress, but you can transition play among them if wanted. I have 15 such connected worlds in my ongoing game. Overwatch and ErrorTrap highly recommended to keep things running smoothly, but then they are highly recommended anyway.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    SimiLovaSimiLova Posts: 1,123 Member
    I always mean well and think, that I will complete one of my sims wishes for 5 kids to truly be surrounded by family. But I just can't do it and flake out and just give them 2, regardless of the fam, lol.
  • Options
    EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I play one family and no one moves out, I only have one kid, so by the time the kid marries and has a baby, it is then grand parents, the boy and the girl married, and the baby, I never have more then 5 in the family. Everyone lives in the same house, I do not move them out, but only have one child and it is a boy. I have done this for 29 Generations. Each life stage played on normal to it fullest. I love it this way. love having the grandparents at home.
  • Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I have a secret to share - I don't really enjoy babies, toddlers and children as Sims. If a Sim couple of mine both independently roll a wish to have a child together at the same time, I'll let them adopt, or use a mod that permits same-sex pregnancy. But not unless both of them want a kid. That usually means just one. On the other hand, one newlywed couple that I allowed to follow through on their wish got twins - so two is as many as I have had in a household, and it was not by design.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I have a secret to share - I don't really enjoy babies, toddlers and children as Sims. If a Sim couple of mine both independently roll a wish to have a child together at the same time, I'll let them adopt, or use a mod that permits same-sex pregnancy. But not unless both of them want a kid. That usually means just one. On the other hand, one newlywed couple that I allowed to follow through on their wish got twins - so two is as many as I have had in a household, and it was not by design.
    My second generation same gender couple both loved kids and had 12 of them (not all at once). Four of them were adopted, one was a single parent clone (science), and seven were from same-gender pregnancies. Around half of the 12 have slightly smaller dynasties of their own going now, mostly happy and successful a couple a bit more dysfunctional, the rest maybe one kid here and there or prefer to raise puppies or pursue other interests. But those I've relocated to other worlds (Traveler mod) all keep returning for family reunions and bond with their more distant cousins. I often send them to Uni together. The children, grandchildren, etc. of this one couple, and the 4 of the other sibling in that generation, will keep me busy and amused probably for real life decades. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    Tw1stTw1st Posts: 486 Member
    I play legacy style most of the time so generally I allow families to have 2-3 kids, enough for a heir + spare, because I don't want it to get too overwhelming. Sometimes I don't feel like doing as much "work" raising the kids, or it just fits the story (romance or career focused parents) and they'll only have 1 baby. Similarly, if I have family focused parents, I'll have them produce 4-6 kids. It all depends!
  • Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    @KevinL5275 - there is a way with Nraas mods - I know @igazor has a very involved save with family members in several worlds - how he keeps up with all that I have no idea. If you do not use mods, yes, your town will fill up with the family genetics leaving everyone being related to everyone else and you'll have to play them rotationally or you end up with a town having no babies.

I tend to decide how many children on a save by save basis, although I'd guess my average is 2 or 3 per household. This may be a leftover from Legacy Challenges where you'd always want a spare in case something happened to your heir. One of my current saves has only one child in the household tho - and I don't think she'll be having any more. Just depends.
  • Options
    Surreal wrote: »
    @KevinL5275 - there is a way with Nraas mods - I know @igazor has a very involved save with family members in several worlds - how he keeps up with all that I have no idea.
    I have no idea, either. :p

It's not really that difficult. I raised most of these sims from birth or adoption, maybe not their friends and partners but certainly all of the blood-related and adopted family members. Doesn't matter who they are or which world I've stashed them in, these are my babies (no matter which age stage they have reached). :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    I've never tried moving some of my active sims out of town while leaving others in town, before. I imagine its similar to moving the whole family? From your description it sounds like I have to move everyone and then move the ones I want to keep, back? Or, if I am moving out 2 sims, I have to move 3 to the new place, then move the 1 back home?
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I've never tried moving some of my active sims out of town while leaving others in town, before. I imagine its similar to moving the whole family? From your description it sounds like I have to move everyone and then move the ones I want to keep, back? Or, if I am moving out 2 sims, I have to move 3 to the new place, then move the 1 back home?
    None of the above. There's a whole procedure to follow as per the Traveler mod FAQ page I already linked to. It's not that difficult, but every step must be followed for this to work right.

You have the sims you intend to move from World A to World B, and only those sims, take a vacation in World B and stay wherever (the mod offers up free temporary housing if there is no Base Camp present as there would be in a WA world). If you brought extra sims with you on this vacation, you would have to send the ones you didn't want to be part of this back home early by phone or computer. Have the sims staying in B purchase a vacation home, they can't stay in the free temporary one for this, and formally move into it again by phone or computer. Then invoke the Traveler mod's Change Hometown command, do a Save As, quit the game entirely to desktop (or Origin if 1.69), and reload. The active sims are now permanent residents in World B.

You can travel them back to World A to visit or, if you wanted to just leave them there for now, you can transition active play back to World A where you've left everyone else by traveling with "no sims on board."
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Got it! Thank you for the extra explanation here, that made more sense to me. (sometimes I'm a little slow) :)
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • Options
    Mycatjake1Mycatjake1 Posts: 61 Member
    Really it depends on the kind of mood I'm in. Most of the time I only have them have one or two children (except for that time I ended up with triplets, but that was TS4).

My current main couple (husband and wife are both witches) have only one child, a little girl toddler. I plan on doing a legacy sometime, though, but with a different couple, so I'll probably do a large family then.
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited March 2017
    igazor wrote: »
    I've never thought about this because I usually move on to a new family and game once my originals die. And I havent been playing long enough to get passed 3 generations. So how do you keep the town from being over-populated with your family genetics if they have 5+ kids? Is there a way built into the game, or with mods, to move the kids to another town and keep playing the current family? I don't want to do a total annihilation because you can still "call long distance" or send letters to each other in other towns.
    I suppose you would like to be able to have those moved out kids visit from time to time, vacation your sims over in their world, and be able to transition gameplay to their (new) homeworld when you want. Sorry, that would be cheating.

But wait, what's this then? http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Traveler+FAQ :)
    (See the Switching Homeworlds section near the end)

With the NRaas Traveler mod, you can spread your sims and their offspring out among their various homeworlds, all connected within the same ongoing game. Only the actively being played world can progress, but you can transition play among them if wanted. I have 15 such connected worlds in my ongoing game. Overwatch and ErrorTrap highly recommended to keep things running smoothly, but then they are highly recommended anyway.

I don't understand how you switch active households across world's. Do you do it in edit town? Also, I've heard people talking about switching households simply by clicking on a Sim, with mod, I assume. How would that work?
  • Options
    ArielGrintArielGrint Posts: 50 Member
    It depends on how I wanna play the game, but for most games I'd say 2-4. I tend to have an emotional attachment to the original couple so I want them to have a nice, fulfilled life. For me having more than 4 children gets very tedious as I feel like I can't pay enough attention to all of them, so I would either end up using cheats to never having to bother with needs or they don't do much of the actual fun stuff and spend time together. It does get easier if I get twins or triplets though, as they are obviously in the same stage of life so it's not like you have a baby, toddler, child, teen and (young) adults all at the same time...
  • Options
    DivieOwl wrote: »
    I don't understand how you switch active households across world's. Do you do it in edit town? Also, I've heard people talking about switching households simply by clicking on a Sim, with mod, I assume. How would that work?
    No, with the NRaas Traveler mod only one world can be loaded up and actively played at a time. The rest go into a state of suspended animation. You can have aging on or off in the foreign, inactive worlds on a per world basis as per Traveler's options, but that kind of aging only increments the foreign suspended sims' age by +1 each night at midnight, nothing else happens with them or progresses until you switch play to that world.

To switch over to a Traveler connected world, you either have to travel some sims there or transition play by traveling with no sims on board. That means calling up the Travel (Go on Vacation) command but removing all of the sims intended to travel that get listed on the right side of the screen. The travel transition screens still have to show. When you "arrive" at the other world with no active sims, the game will ask you which household you want to play. The world you left behind then becomes inactive and goes into its form of suspended animation until you return active play to it.

For switching actives within the same world, there are four NRaas mods that offer fast-switching with no Edit Town required. MasterController and StoryProgression have Make Active commands. Selector allows you to switch actives by right-clicking on them (I hate this myself because I use right-clicking to focus the game camera and kept switching households by mistake, so I keep that option off). PortaitPanel allows the option of fast-switching by keeping inactive sims from different households of your choosing on the portait panel to the left of the screen, this one seems to be used by fewer players than the others. AwesomeMod, for those who have it, offers its own version of fast-switching that is similar to Selector's but I believe involves right-clicking on the target's house, not the target sim.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TyrircKidTyrircKid Posts: 52 Member
    well i wouldn't be of much help in this matter i usually like my sims so much that i just keep pumping out babies...
  • Options
    DivieOwlDivieOwl Posts: 1,161 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    No, with the NRaas Traveler mod only one world can be loaded up and actively played at a time. The rest go into a state of suspended animation. You can have aging on or off in the foreign, inactive worlds on a per world basis as per Traveler's options, but that kind of aging only increments the foreign suspended sims' age by +1 each night at midnight, nothing else happens with them or progresses until you switch play to that world.

To switch over to a Traveler connected world, you either have to travel some sims there or transition play by traveling with no sims on board. That means calling up the Travel (Go on Vacation) command but removing all of the sims intended to travel that get listed on the right side of the screen. The travel transition screens still have to show. When you "arrive" at the other world with no active sims, the game will ask you which household you want to play. The world you left behind then becomes inactive and goes into its form of suspended animation until you return active play to it.

For switching actives within the same world, there are four NRaas mods that offer fast-switching with no Edit Town required. MasterController and StoryProgression have Make Active commands. Selector allows you to switch actives by right-clicking on them (I hate this myself because I use right-clicking to focus the game camera and kept switching households by mistake, so I keep that option off). PortaitPanel allows the option of fast-switching by keeping inactive sims from different households of your choosing on the portait panel to the left of the screen, this one seems to be used by fewer players than the others. AwesomeMod, for those who have it, offers its own version of fast-switching that is similar to Selector's but I believe involves right-clicking on the target's house, not the target sim.

That explains it much better.

So if I left my pregnant sim daughter and her husband in sunlit tides, while I moved to riverview, she basically stay pregnant, only gaining a +1 a day on her life?

Do I just need base of Mc and SP? No add one? I don't think I'd like the one click, I might do that by accident.

I might look into awesome mod, too.

Tyvm for the info.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    So if I left my pregnant sim daughter and her husband in sunlit tides, while I moved to riverview, she basically stay pregnant, only gaining a +1 a day on her life?
    This is correct, pregnancies do not progress in worlds not actively being played, nor in worlds where your actives are in vacation mode. Aging cannot happen while in vacation mode either, not there nor anyplace.

When playing your actives' homeworld, whichever one that happens to be currently, the foreign aging setting is optional on a per world basis. If it is your intention to play multiple worlds in parallel, switching back and forth between them every so often so they stay on a somewhat even keel with each other, then I would recommend Traveler's Ageless Foreign Sims be on True for those worlds not being played. Thus they will age one world at a time, only as they are being played actively.

If you keep Ageless Foreign on False, so that they do age, and you are away from that world for a very long time, the next time you arrive there all of the sims there will catch up to their calculated new ages. And they may very well all die of old age right away, if it has been long enough. If that happens, the game will try to generate a few sims who are genetic descendants of the now deceased so that your sims won't be left standing in a totally empty world. But that isn't something players are likely to want to happen unless we are talking about an infrequent custom vacation destination where they aren't really engaged in the lives of the active residents there.

I'm not really sure what happens if you leave a pregnant sim behind with Ageless Foreign set to False and you return much later, but still in time for that sim to be an elder. The game will probably resolve the pregnancy for you and give that sim a child or teen instead of a baby like it does with WA worlds by EA standard.

Just the base mods for fast switching within the same world.
    NRaas > MC > (Sim) > Make Active.
    NRaas > SP > Make Active.

AwesomeMod is a huge core mod. While possibly worth looking into, and it has settings you can configure, you get all or none of it. Fast switching just happens to be one of its many features.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    muzjikzmuzjikz Posts: 24 New Member
    I really determine it by the parents' personality, or my lack of self control. More often than not, I'll want to limit it at three, but an unfortunate triplet scenario occurs on the third pregnancy. This generation, which is the fifth in my main game, only has one child, just because it fits.
  • Options
    Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member

I love playing with generations and families. Plus, it's fascinating seeing the different inherited physical traits the kids will take.

Nathaniel and Trinity have 14 kids together including 3 set of fraternal twins. This is their current household.
    Screenshot_1645.jpg

And this family portrait was of all the kids back when I used to play them as supernaturals. Though, some of them I changed their ages now. Unfortunately, sometimes that causes the sim to get glitched because of their Special outfit(s).
    Screenshot-273.jpg

Kibwe and Fatima have 8 kids now but I don't have a recent family portrait.
    Screenshot_2838.jpg

Usually, when my sim(s) wish for a baby I'll allow it but also depends on the space and well bunk beds are a great space saver. This sometimes leads to having a full house which is always fun to me because it's never a dull moment. Speaking of, I think at minimal I usually do play with two sims or more. I enjoy all the life stages but I do wish there was more to the neglected than focusing too much on YA/A.
    Screenshot-2376.jpg
    Screenshot-5224.jpg
    Screenshot-3207.jpg
    Screenshot-12.jpg
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    The households in my town vary from zero to five children each. Depends on the family and the story they are telling. I will occasionally check in at City Hall and see what the demographics have to say. If there's a significant imbalance of males to females or if a certain age group seems sparse I look around at the fertile Myrtle's in town and see who needs to be getting busy.
    *queues Marvin Gaye's 'Let's Get It On' *
  • Options
    paneingerpaneinger Posts: 214 Member
    I just decided to try playing without any cheats to fill motives for the first time, ever. Naturally my sim has triplets on the first try :dizzy:

I had also built the house with two rooms for children/teens on one side, and a nursery/playroom near the master bedroom. I'm intending to use the house for multiple generations and not redecorate each time, so of course I had to remodel the house and add another bedroom somewhere since I love how the bedrooms turned out, but didn't leave room for two beds or bunks. Priorities are having a pretty house, I guess.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    paneinger wrote: »
    Priorities are having a pretty house, I guess.
    "I'm sorry dear, but you have to sleep outside in the rain/snow instead of in warm beds like your brother and sister because expanding or adding another bedroom would throw the symmetry of the house off and make things less pretty. Sweet dreams, see you in the morning!" :p

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    None of my families in Deery Meadows have begun to try for babies yet since they're all about fourteen or fifteen year olds and don't intend to start having their first babies until they get a little older first.I play the town rotationally in that legacy.
    @igazor -I currently have awesomemod and configured it to mostly just disable the automated school assignment with little else enabled.That would stop the bug with overcrowding in the schools as the town's population gets bigger and it's more realistic for the time it's taking place in.Schools wouldn't have all school aged children and kids automatically enrolled in the 17th century because it was only for the rich families back then and poor children went into apprenticeships instead of to school in those days.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    @TadOlson - You know, we probably could have found you an NRaas solution for that school auto-enrollment issue you keep telling us about. But unfortunately you came to us at NRaas with it at a time when our lead developer was out sick for months with a serious medical affliction, in no condition to respond, and you refused to stop badgering our wiki with daily messages about it at the time. By continuing to tell me about it here whenever you can, I'm afraid you still, over a year later, aren't coming across as extremely compassionate.

Sorry to bring this out into the open here, but there is no reason I can think of to page me with things like that. I am not a script mod developer and can't solve that issue myself that even if I did understand why it was so important to you. Chain's health has since improved, thankfully, and you may raise the issue with him again by PM if you haven't already. It's up to him if he wishes to engage. Or just continue to use Awesome, I'm glad it's working well for you.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!