Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anybody else being spammed by Yahoo Sims2 Groups?

SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
Just recently I am being sent "update Yahoo Sims2 groups" emails purporting to be from Yahoo which I haven't used since early Sims2 games. These possibly are some of those that were hacked, as recorded in the Yahoo scandal earlier and sent to my earliest (now) virginmedia address which they should block but haven't. The emails link to nasty sites.

On checking I find that they all originate from Russia with the ru suffix so have blocked all the suspect suffixes in Outlook via the Junk email advanced settings. I have blocked the lot just to be on the safe side! Be careful.

Comments

• SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Thankfully, no, I haven't received any emails like this, but I get tons of other types of scam emails almost daily and have for the past few years. Along with scam phone calls daily. There's really nothing you can do about it other than what you're already doing. Be alert, smart, and safe by not clicking on any links or attachments in those emails. And continue blocking them or reporting them as phishing scams.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    edited March 2017
    Thankfully, no, I haven't received any emails like this, but I get tons of other types of scam emails almost daily and have for the past few years. Along with scam phone calls daily. There's really nothing you can do about it other than what you're already doing. Be alert, smart, and safe by not clicking on any links or attachments in those emails. And continue blocking them or reporting them as phishing scams.

@SataiDelennn I don't get much spam and it is usually caught by my virus checker so these made me a bit paranoid in the last few weeks. Something so unthreatening like a Sims2 group being used was a nasty surprise. I couldn't stop them coming by junking one. They kept coming.

We have the Telephone Preference service in the uk to stop phone scams so I joined that and when telephoned by that Microsoft so called "representative" I said "That's funny, I don't have a computer" which resulted in a click and no more calls.

It's useful to learn that Outlook can block whole country's emails though. Maybe the usa government should have used it according to today's news!
  • SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »

@SataiDelennn I don't get much spam and it is usually caught by my virus checker so these made me a bit paranoid in the last few weeks. Something so unthreatening like a Sims2 group being used was a nasty surprise. I couldn't stop them coming by junking one. They kept coming.

We have the Telephone Preference service in the uk to stop phone scams so I joined that and when telephoned by that Microsoft so called "representative" I said "That's funny, I don't have a computer" which resulted in a click and no more calls.

It's useful to learn that Outlook can block whole country's emails though. Maybe the usa government should have used it according to today's news!

Huh?

Anyway, I use my fax machine to block unwanted calls as my telephone company won't allow blocking on my phone unless I buy a phone separately with that capability. My cell phone doesn't have the ability at all.

I block emails everyday and report phishing email scams about every other day. It's about all I can do. I never open the emails because I know they're scams. None of them come to my inbox, they all fall into my junk folder, but even so, I still block the truly unwanted ones such as the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 and other types like that, and the supposed Canadian Pharmacy ones. The newest scam has been one that says, "x" has sent you $3,182.00 to your Paypal. Paypal suggests removing it now." Well, seeing as I don't have a Paypal account, and the fact that it's the same amount EVERY time and only the supposed sender's name changes, it's a kind of "Duh!" that it's a scam. So I immediately report those as phishing scams.

So, yeah, all you can do is report and block them because they aren't likely to stop, and they do get very clever on occasion.
  • nanashi-simsnanashi-sims Posts: 4,140 Member
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Just recently I am being sent "update Yahoo Sims2 groups" emails purporting to be from Yahoo which I haven't used since early Sims2 games. These possibly are some of those that were hacked, as recorded in the Yahoo scandal earlier and sent to my earliest (now) virginmedia address which they should block but haven't. The emails link to nasty sites.

On checking I find that they all originate from Russia with the ru suffix so have blocked all the suspect suffixes in Outlook via the Junk email advanced settings. I have blocked the lot just to be on the safe side! Be careful.

Pretty much all of the old Sims 2 groups are spambait :disappointed: