Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

new video card

sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
i installed my new video card and the sims 2 won't load i get an error message about 3d something i have a nvidea geforce 1050ti 4 gig ddr5 does any one know why this is happening

Comments

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If I had to guess it's because it is such a new card. I don't think the graphics rules were made to run with something like that. You might have to look into manually editing the files yourself. That's my best guess anyway.
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    Dang ok what is graphic rules
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Have you checked for updated video card drivers? There has most likely been an update since they packaged the card up for sale.
    Seera1024 wrote: »
    Have you checked for updated video card drivers? There has most likely been an update since they packaged the card up for sale.

This is another good suggestion.

@sweetface44 Graphic rules is a program written by some modders to get the Sims 2 to be able to recognize newer cards since it's original release. Did you add the graphic rules program for your make of video card? I had just assumed you did, you have been playing a while and I don't understand how you got it to work at all without them with any card released in the last 5 years or so. :o

The graphic rules can be found here: http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446 follow the instructions, and download the correct one for your graphics card. I won't guarantee it will work with a card that new, I had trouble on a GTX960, I had to have the files manually edited to add the card to the game for it to work. I was lucky I have a friend that knows how, and did it for me. Otherwise I would have been SOL.

Give it a shot, it might work for you. If not there must be someone here who knows how to manually edit the files. Or you could ask on Leefish, they know how to do it.
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    edited March 2017
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    Give it a shot, it might work for you. If not there must be someone here who knows how to manually edit the files.

Yes, but it's not easy to explain. Two files might be edited using Notepad. Both are found in the Config folder. The Config folder is found TSData -> Res in My Programs (x86) -> EA Games -> (the latest expansion or stuff pack)

The files in question are Graphic Rules and Video Cards. You might copy both files before editing them.

In Graphic Rules, look for a section with 'option ScreenModeResolution'. Copy the resolutions from $High to $Low.

For Video Cards, the preferences for your video card are needed. The ID should start with 0x followed by a four digit number. The short string is needed too. Find the section in Video Cards corresponding to the manifacturer of the video card, and insert a new line similar to the others.

Unfortunately, I don't recall every detail on what to do when either of the files can not be saved after being edited. I just recall the solution including saving the file e.g. at the desktop and move it to Config afterwards, but also recall it was not always that easy. I must also admit that I am a Dane using the Danish version of Windows 10, meaning the folder name "My Programs" might not be right.

I am not even sure whether "Have fun" or "Good luck" is the best wish. :)

• That_Fat_CatThat_Fat_Cat Posts: 85 Member
    Are you using the Sims 2 UC or a retail copy? I have a GTX 960 and I have no issues with it on UC.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member

@sweetface44

The Graphics rule maker did not work for me after I upgraded my Graphics card (but I would defo try that first as it is by far the easiest method-) The next method described in the link below also works for a lot of players and is easy enough to follow but if that fails it usually means tweaking the graphics Rules files in the config folder as @BoergeAarg61 outlines however it has to be precise, exact and relate precisely to your own Graphics card.

https://simsvip.com/2014/07/20/the-sims-2-ultimate-collection-increase-resolution-guide/

@JULES1111

When we were experiencing all those problems with our Graphics card I could still load the game up? Could you as if I remember rightly I thought you mentioned you were experiencing a lot of different problems and a blue screen? I am just wondering if it would be a new Graphics card problem if the game won't load first? I thought graphic card issues were related mainly to resolution not stop the game itself from loading but I could be wrong as always :)
  • BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 949 Member
    edited March 2017
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    When we were experiencing all those problems with our Graphics card I could still load the game up? Could you as if I remember rightly I thought you mentioned you were experiencing a lot of different problems and a blue screen? I am just wondering if it would be a new Graphics card problem if the game won't load first? I thought graphic card issues were related mainly to resolution not stop the game itself from loading but I could be wrong as always :)

I experienced such issues after fooling around with the "Graphics rule maker". At one point the program removed most of the Video Cards folder making using the game impossible. As far as I recall, the game might load but with a blank screen. Luckily, another copy was found in the similar folder for another expansion.

After having made the changes outlined above, the game almost works too great as one family brought two or three friends home from work or school on the same day.
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »

@JULES1111

When I first had the issue after updating my graphics card, I could not get the game to launch at all. Then I fidled with it a bit and got that blue screen, next it loaded everything but the entire neighborhood was covered in a purple fog :persevere: So yes it is possible that the game will not even load with a graphics issue, as that issue is the game thinks there is no card in at all.
    @JULES1111

I remember I had terrible graphic problems but could not remember my game not loading up/starting but I thought I remembered you saying you had those sort of problems so just wanted to clarify that graphic card issues could stop the game from loading. I still catch my breath every time I load up 2&3 hoping there will be no further problems :)
  • sweetface44sweetface44 Posts: 2,958 Member
    my graphic problem was solved when i removed userprops from the sims 2 folder it has worked fine every sense
    @sweetface44

I am pleased you have managed to resolve the issue so now you can get on with enjoying your game :)