Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Please help with Sims 2

littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
First of all, I'm sorry if the same kind of topic has been posted earlier. I must say I'm a bit lazy to go here and there to find a solution. So I hope you all don't mind if I ask here. I own the sims 2 ultimate collection and I have installed it on my windows 10. Everything else is fine except that there are lags when I zoom in, zoom out and rotate the in game camera. That kind of makes the game unenjoyable for me since that's what we do most of the time while controlling sims. I am now playing it with the default resolution (800x600) after uninstalling it a few months ago. I also found out from sims vip that I can play the game with higher resolutions via editing in a graphics notepad. The graphics is really nice with 1920x1080 resolution and I have no black rectangle squares in my game. However, I still have the problem with lags when playing around with the camera. I haven't tried the graphics rule maker yet. I would really appreciate a guide or solution to my problem because I really want to play the sims 2. Happy Simming! :)
ts4_blossom_meadows_world_icon__gif___fan_art__by_hazzaplumbob-dayfe38.gif

Comments

• BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    You might need to find the settings for your graphic card, too. My graphic card is called "AMD Radeon Graphics Processor (0x1313)" and "AMD Radeon(TM) R7 Graphics"

In the same folder as Graphic Rules is found the SGR-file Video Cards. You might need to edit that file with Notepad, too, to enter the identity of your graphic card in the right section. I added the string card 0x1313 "Radeon R7(TM) Graphics" between vendor "ATI" 0x1002 and the following end.

• littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    Thank you for your suggestion @BoergeAarg61 . Will definitely try it.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If you are on Windows 10, most of the lag in the game comes from Securom being in the game. You can safely remove it. It doesn't usually play well with 10. It also causes lag in build/buy for a lot of people. Instructions for removing it here: http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸
    JULES1111 wrote: »
    If you are on Windows 10, most of the lag in the game comes from Securom being in the game.

I don't think so. Much lag comes from the game not knowing the graphic card. At least I think it made a difference adding my graphic card to the Video Cards file, but did not recognize any troubles with Securom. For unknown graphic cards, the game uses the low resolution, by the way.

• JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    If you are on Windows 10, most of the lag in the game comes from Securom being in the game.

I don't think so. Much lag comes from the game not knowing the graphic card. At least I think it made a difference adding my graphic card to the Video Cards file, but did not recognize any troubles with Securom. For unknown graphic cards, the game uses the low resolution, by the way.

Yes, it does. At least for a lot of people playing with Windows 10. Any other version of Windows works fine with it. Windows 10 and Securom do not get along. Try telling that to the people that removed Securom and no longer suffer from lag. Having it read your graphics card is also a must, I had thought she/he said they had already altered the graphic rules, re-reading I see she/he only changed the resolution? In that case yes they should definitely get the graphic rules as well.

I can drop a link for that also. http://www.🐸🐸🐸🐸/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
    Yes, it does. At least for a lot of people playing with Windows 10.

I am playing with Windows 10 and did not remove Securom. Sims 2 is working fine after editing Graphic Rules and Video cards.

• littlearchitectlittlearchitect Posts: 277 Member
    edited March 2017
    Hello all. I have tested the game and for some reason, it's working fine (no lags) unlike before with or without graphics rule maker. But I am using the graphics rule maker now. The problem for me is whenever I hold my middle mouse button (scroll button) to do camera rotation, it's kind of slow. Everything else is OK. Build/Buy mode is also ok. I have read about Securom thing but it involves a lot of steps and my game is not actually lagging. So I put that aside. It's just that rotation is slow. I'm not sure whether it is called lag or not but it surely gives me headache. Rotating camera in Map view using scroll mouse button is fast and responsive but slow and shaky in playing the household. Is there somethig wrong or is it what I have to deal with? Thank you for all your help so far! :)
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    Yes, it does. At least for a lot of people playing with Windows 10.

I am playing with Windows 10 and did not remove Securom. Sims 2 is working fine after editing Graphic Rules and Video cards.

That's the thing. While it may not cause lag for you, it does for many others. When players who play on Windows 10 complain about lag with Sims 2, it's appropriate to suggest removing it.

The version of Securom that's shipped with Sims 2 was not designed for Windows 10. As such, there will be people for whom it causes problems due to the combination of hardware and software on their computer.

Just like some people can just install and play with no issues whatsoever while others have to jump through a dozen hoops to get it to install and play properly on even Windows 7 or Windows 8.1, let alone Windows 10.